Aurora Healthcare

Be The First To
Add Photos

Aurora Healthcare President & CEO Nick Turkal

Nick Turkal

Pros:
  • "Really great benefits (low cost, compared to other companies)"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Good co-workers, decent facility, decent salary"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Wages are mediocre and yearly "merit increases" are pocket change and terribly difficult if not impossible to achieve 90-100%"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Little opportunity for advancement unless you sell your soul by working 10-20 hours extra per week unpaid"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company for Professional Growth

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aurora Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI have worked here nearly 25 years and have been afforded multiple opportunities to gain new skills and to advance. There is great support from leadership, and many talented people work here.

ConsIt's a large organization, which poses some challenges, but Aurora does a great job communicating to the entire work force.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! As a patient, Aurora is my choice whenever I need health care. I have experienced care at non-Aurora facilities, and the difference was obvious.

ok

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aurora Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLarge system with good training/education resources. Unit staff is a good group and I enjoy working with them.

ConsDefinitely treated like a number sometimes. Don't value employee contributions and extra effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is just a face, no effort to get to know employees or what they want. The health insurance is HORRIBLE; expensive, forced to use Aurora, and end up spending a lot extra on top of premiums for any services.

Learned a lot

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at Aurora Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLarge health care system that provided a lot of opportunists.

ConsLarge heath care system not personal

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat nurses who have a lot to offer.

Great Profession but have worked for better organizations!

Laboratory (Former Employee)
Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Aurora Healthcare part-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt was close to home. Co-workers very nice. Great hours. Great patients!

ConsManagement was the biggest challenge. I worked at Aurora over 10 years. A laboratory supervisor made working for Aurora impossible. She fired more employees for trivial things during the past 5+ years than my other 10 years. Morale in the outpatient lab area is terrible with little appreciation from management for the professional hard working staff. Advancement opportunities are very limited. Personnel always stay in the mid range of their pay scales and never approach the top. Aurora is staffing clinic positions with Medical Assistants instead of more qualified RN's to save money, however there is no savings to patients.
Providers (Dr.'s, Nurse Practitioners) told to keep referrals in-house, even though there are many good/better specialist outside of Aurora. It's all about money!

Advice to Senior ManagementHR in Milwaukee should take a hard look at the number of firings and terminations in the outpatient area of their laboratory clinics. Compare one region with the next and you might find a bit of information concerning the Oshkosh/Neenah area. It takes a long time to train new personnel let alone the cost.

They fired for dumb reason

CNA (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Aurora Healthcare part-time for less than a year

ProsGood paid, good health coverage and good CNA workers. Flex hours.

ConsThey fire u for anything that is how I lost my job. Most doctors are mean to employees, nurses are nice but they turn their backs on u thinking that the ppl who are studying nurse would steal their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not what you know but who you know

I have been working at Aurora Healthcare full-time

ProsDiverse work force, flexible hours

ConsPoor leadership decisions when hiring and make up of teams

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the most talented not the most connected

Not Too Bad

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aurora Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBenefits, some flexibility depending on position, fair wages

ConsAs with any job in healthcare, you are expected to do more with less.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay fair wages, quit treating people like you own then. Be appreciate of employees and give praise for positive work.

Aurora Healthcare offers many good opportunities to grow.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aurora Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLeadership is in tune with the many challenges facing healthcare. I am a manager in Food and Nutrition Services and I appreciate the balance we are trying to attain between budgets and innovation. Compensation is competitive with the industry which includes time off and benefits.

ConsHealthcare is a very challenging environment right now and it's hard to know what direction Aurora is taking. Work/life balance is not the greatest right now for management at most levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more competitive in the market for Physician talent. If we fill that roll the rest will follow. The ideas of the culture sound great but in reality we don't have the right number of people to execute it.

"For-profit hospital cares less about their employees & are all about covering themselves from lawsuits"

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aurora Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood teamwork with staff; Good nurse-to-patient ratio; Employees very dedicated to caring for patients

ConsToo much authority given to lower management; Vacations not approved as frequently as staff request; Staff burn-out; Low morale; forced overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour career opportunities are available for lateral moves, but not advancement/promotions; Your salaries are comparable to others; Some management needs to be replaced.

If they could turn back the clock and learn from their mistakes

I have been working at Aurora Healthcare

Pros16 years ago this was an awesome company to work for.
Some wonderful co-workers

ConsThis company has grown to big for its own good. Low rate of pay across the board. Management is more concerned with making sure the doctors are happy rather than following process and procedure. They also cannot make a decision and stick to it long enough to see it through. The "merit increase" are a joke. Minimal increase in pay and they increase the cost of insurance so you really aren't getting a raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your workers what they are worth. If you feel you need to cut jobs try upper management who do nothing but delegate their work and then take credit for what others do. Since Management and providers get bonuses maybe find a way to do so for your staff. This company has become a cat chasing its tail.

Worked for Aurora Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aurora Healthcare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aurora Healthcare CEO Nick Turkal . All 84 reviews posted anonymously by Aurora Healthcare employees.