Ausenco

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
2.6

Zimi Meka

Pros
  • Nice location, interesting projects (in 5 reviews)

• Good salary, good benefits, good location (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Boom and bust cycles, hire and fire (in 3 reviews)

• Telling staff many blatant lies to keep them for a time until your no longer useful (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Management could be better.

I have been working at Ausenco

Pros

Interesting projects in foreign contries.

Cons

Management could be significantly improved.

Get better organized.

I enjoyed working here.

Former Employee - Administrative in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Concord, CA

I worked at Ausenco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people were very nice. I enjoyed working there until they laid about 5 of us off at the same time right before the holidays. They said they could no longer afford to pay for us, but they (management) could still keep there very high salaries. Not very cool!!

Cons

Start keeping your good employees, they don't come around too often.

Was told I didn't have a career with this company... it was just a job

I have been working at Ausenco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is pretty good.

Cons

There is a big disconnect between the different locations, especially when you work in the field. High turnover in employees is incredible, gone through more than five managers in less than a year. Field personnel are not included in the company atmosphere, no induction to Ausenco or kept up on the 'goings on' with the company.

Listen to the people out doing the work in the field

Lost in the sauce

Former Employee - Civil Engineer
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer

I worked at Ausenco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large corp. Potential for huge growth. Worldwide travel. All jobs are mining or corporate related. You learn to speak Australian. Employee share matching program was free money!

Cons

Actual growth was minimal during my stay with Ausenco. Corporate structure was vague and confusing, inefficient. Walked away feeling exploited. Employee share program had great matching but the stock price remained about flat for many years and so the only money made on that deal was due to matching. Glad I got out when I did.

Look for talent already within your ranks.

Good company, but needs more diversity to compete in today's economic climate.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

I worked at Ausenco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had the pleasure of working with intelligent, committed, and personable colleagues. This office offers perks such as free weekly lunches when business is strong, and is conveniently located near several restaurants. Company often hires direct, and management seems reasonably dedicated in preserving the existing work force during industry downturns. Management overall treats employees respectfully and encourages open communication. Company additionally offers a flexible 9/80 option.

Cons

The salaries and benefits are relatively average. Management may hire quickly during strong but usually brief economic periods, resulting in a surplus of employees to compete for work in the coming months. Overall lack of project diversity and structure can leave employees vulnerable to layoffs during extended slow periods, and the perks tend to vanish. Technical assistance tends to be significantly limited from lack of experienced personnel. No clear path up the corporate ladder is defined.

Identify an appropriate range of relevant projects for a given department and ensure a capable sales staff is in place to find worthy clients and land sizable jobs. Hire more senior-level people to assist with technical projects. Establish better structure within departmental groups to improve project delegation and assignment.

This is a good company to work for

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Ausenco

Pros

Good culture, environment, nice people

Cons

Not that I know of

Good people, good position

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Ausenco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The office is nicely located in Yaletown and there is a strong focus on learning & development, as well as safety. Salary and extended health benefits are very good and the people are generally great. The local management team is doing a good job and is trying hard to win work and proactively communicate to staff.

Cons

Due to slow project work, there have been many layoffs and this puts a burden on those who are left.

Continue to focus on our clients and winning work. Keep communications open and let everyone know what is expected of them.

Manageable work hours but negative environment

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Ausenco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free gym and parking.nice location.worklife balance working hours.

Cons

The challenges is on the management. Although its a claim to be shared services, the process is very manual.suggestions on any changes idea is not accepted by mgt with open heart.stress due to unable to talk during working hours.action taken on people not up to the company standard based on mgt own judgement.no bonus.no increment.kpi rated for review only.

Do research on what is shared service and how to manage staff sincerely.bad environment equals to unhappy staff equals to high turnover in labour.

Inexperienced leadership team leading to micromanagement

I worked at Ausenco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, ability to attract good people to roles

Cons

The main issue appears to be with the two people that are controlling the operations for Australia and North/South America. Inexperience in leading an organization and poor skills, led to bullying and micromanagement. I saw many experienced people worn down by this. The downturn in the market made it worse but in reality the culture of turning a blind eye to bad behavior and even rewarding it, left a lot of people shaking their heads and looking for a new job.

Wrong leadership team in place to make the business work.

Revolving door

Former Employee - Analyst in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at Ausenco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great facilities, better than average compensation. Business is in a great location and staff have access to a gym and coffee shops. Staff also are provided with top shelf computers and mobile phones

Cons

Long hours, pressure to complete projects quicker than planned (to the benifet of the company). Project driven culture that ramp up quickly for projects and demobilize as quick.
    Do not plan on a career longer than 2 years, feels very unstable.

Stability is key