Austal

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.7

Bob Browning

Great company to work for

Current Employee - A Class Structural Welder in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - A Class Structural Welder in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Austal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and holidays pays

Cons

Traffic is bad in the morning and getting off of work

Great company to work for and fast raises

I wish I could have stayed but my opportunities were limited

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

I worked at Austal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. I started when Austal USA was smaller and watched them grow. I had so much fun there and I learned more than I could have imagined. I was given opportunities to work on things that were not in my job description but the top management gave me the chance to own it and it really built my confidence. I enjoyed working for them. Top management was very approachable for me.

Cons

Austal was almost an overnight success in regard to the Mobile office. We grew so fast so there are many things that were overlooked and cause frustrations. Everyone is swamped so there isn't much time to address the issues that may make your job more difficult. Also, people don't understand how what they do affects someone else's work and if they do then they just don't care. It's almost a lack of ownership in some areas. They were working on that when I left so I'm sure it is better. It's growing pains. I'd say the one con I don't see going away is opportunity for growth. As in many companies there are politics and when it gets in the way of you going for a better job or a new challenge within the company it can really get under your skin.

I am ashamed to have been in involved in the production of the ships that are delivered to the customer!

Current Employee - A-Class Electrician in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - A-Class Electrician in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Austal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am coming up on a year working here and I believe I can now form a unbiased opinion. You can collect a steady pay check. Extreme minimal effort to achieve "Austals standards". Plenty of downtime at work because supervision cannot organize simple tasks. The overseas facilities have to have a better pool to gather employees.

Cons

There is absolutely no challenges here! The blind leading the blind. The hardest part of your day is having to hear your supervisor say "don't worry about that, that's someone else's problem", "we only need to get this to pass inspection". As other people have said if you care about quality, they will hold it against you. You are surrounded by mediocrity and people who don't care. The workforce is mainly comprised of the cheapest labor imaginable. Trades assistants, cable pullers and apprentices make up 85% of the workforce. And they are in charge. The craftsman with knowledge and experience are pushed aside to make room for people who have served their 2-3 years at Austal. The apprentices act entitled and are guaranteed to move up the food chain. If you have any delusions of grandeur. Just relax, get ready to sit back and laugh at all the stupidity and poor workmanship that is widely celebrated. You will look at the finished product and wonder how they could be proud of what they did.... Imagine all the worst employees you have ever encountered on every job you have ever been on. Now put those rejects and Mcdonalds employees all in one place. That's Austal ! You will be amazed that this place has managed to stay in business for so long. I have worked in the construction industry for over 20 years. This facility is the most grotesque mis-use government funds I have ever seen. Our tax dollars at work people!

Start from scratch. Hire quality trained professionals and craftsman to build your vessels.

IT Security Manager

Current Employee - IT Security Manager in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - IT Security Manager in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Austal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Training opportunities and development are plenty. Good company to move up!

Cons

Nothing at all. This company will give you all the opportunities to succeed.

Keep it up and support leadership development

What a shame

I have been working at Austal

Pros

A place to learn a trade

Cons

The more you care the worse your treated

Pay the people that work hard and get the job done correctly and stop paying high dollar for people who don't do anything but complain about needing an intern.

YUCK

I have been working at Austal full-time

Pros

The benefits for employees is ok; just basic insurance, dental and 401K

Cons

PAY IS PATHETIC - put all of their resources in their laughable management 'team' and admin worker bees are making wages from 1950.

Show that you value not only the field employees but your administrative staff (not management). You should be ashamed of yourself with such pathetic wages and management being paid way more than they are worth.

worst company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

I worked at Austal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

benefits were great, place worked better when Australia was in charge

Cons

I worked in the Engineering Dept, Mechanical after the "Bender Boys" showed up in 2010 the department went down hill! They think no one but them can design ships! If you were not named Wall you were nothing to them. Ronnie Collins and that Todd guy the big one were the worse thing that happened to Austal they should have been fired a long time ago!

Glad to see they finally fired Cindy Brown, John Hughes two of the biggest problems in the department other then Todd and Ronnie Collins and Larry

I thoroughly enjoyed my job, the people and the experience I gained while working at Austal USA.

Former Employee - Technical Support in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Mobile, AL

I worked at Austal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good and their was opportunity to learn and move up within the company.

Cons

There were a lot of "issues" that had to be dealt witg- there were issues regarding management not taking care of their responsibilities and A TON OF FAVORITISM.

Austal Usa is a growing company that specializes is building aluminum ships for the US military. A Great place to work

Current Employee - Planner in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Planner in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Austal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Austal offers a great benefit package to all of its employees. The peple that work for Austal USA are great. Great benefits and no union

Cons

If I had to give one con it would be the fact that there are none. They have been great to my family.

It was an awful experience

Former Employee - Recruiter in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Mobile, AL

I worked at Austal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None. It was not a fun place to be

Cons

Disorganized Human Relations. Too much process, and not focused on results

Outsource Human Resources or start new.

Austal Photos