Austin Children's Museum

CEO

Great Environment!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin Children's Museum as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly, up beat; it's really fun to work there!

Cons

I honestly can't think of one.

Awesome staff, but can be stressful and not worth the pay

Former Employee - Direct Service Staff in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Direct Service Staff in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin Children's Museum part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The BEST part about working there is that somehow everyone they hire is seriously awesome. It was hard to leave if only because my coworkers were so fantastic. Friendly, helpful, upbeat, genuinely cool people. The day to day environment is hit or miss, depending on what kind of visitors you happen to have that day. Some parents/children are great; some will throw toys at you, and the parents will yell at you or make snarky comments at you. It can be really rewarding, but it can also be really hard.

Cons

It's hard to afford to work here. And you truly work your butt off. I understand it's a nonprofit, but it would be so much more successful and have a higher employee retention rate if there were slightly less of us and we were paid more. With the exception of some great High School students, everyone else I knew who worked here was actively seeking a better paying job, and most of the good people would leave pretty quickly because they knew they were worth more. EVERYONE who was out of high school had a second job. It sucks that such a great company can't figure out how to pay it's employees a living wage.

In addition to above, I find it ridiculous that we didn't get a lunch break. There were days where I would have 11 or 12 hour shifts, and I would only get two 15 minute breaks, or the option of one 30 minute break. This is crazy. When you are on your feet, working a high energy job, you need more than 15 minutes to be able to actually sit down, go to the bathroom, and eat a real meal to fuel you through the day. For people working full days, you should get your 15's and a lunch break. Everyone else I've ever talked to about this was appalled by this system.

Great mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Children's Museum

Pros

You only need to walk on the floor to remind yourself why we are here and why we do what we do.

Cons

The non profit sector in general really needs to reevaluate the salary structure. Non profit staff is dependable, hard working, problem-solving and constantly striving to be better.

Continue to listen to all staff members especially those that deal with the guests face to face. We always get feedback.

Fun

I worked at Austin Children's Museum

Pros

I really enjoyed getting to see all the children, they're so cute. It's always nice to see how they are so excited by everything.

Cons

If yo don't like kids it can be kind of annoying. Even though I generally like kids it gets tiring dealing with them all the time.

I think the management does a great job, it just depends on the kids and their parents, how they act, that makes it good or bad.