Austin Commercial

Updated January 12, 2015
Updated January 12, 2015
2.2

David B. Walls

Rewarding long term personal investment of time and experience.

I have been working at Austin Commercial

Pros

Most of the employee's have several years with the company. Employee owned, profit sharing, fair retirement plan with minimum matching contribution.

Cons

Upper mangement is not consistent in policies and practices. Pet employee protection if under a regional managers umbrella. Accountability needs to be from the top down.

With the economic downward spiral, overwhelming number of employee's lost their jobs due to the "right sizing" of the company. There is far too much overhead being carried in the upper management. Forced retirement packages should have established early on. None have been implemented to date..

Very Unprofessional

Former Employee - Accountant
    Former Employee - Accountant

I worked at Austin Commercial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and team work among staff. Good culture due to staff working together.

Cons

No loyalty to employees.
    No Union representation and no employee rights.

Be fair to employees. I received all excellent reviews and then one day I was paged on the intercom to come to the office and then laid off! No explanation was given and it was a very depressing experience.
    Truly unbelievable. Very poor employee relations.
    After working so hard I was shocked. If they had a Union at least I would have had a chance to voice my viewpoint.

Watch out for lies

Former Employee - Office Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Office Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Austin Commercial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits I felt were with in average. If you are in the ivy tower things were pretty nice but in the field office it really depended on your PM. Some of them were great others they played very much the college good old boys (aka if you did not go to the same school they did not care to much about you)
    The subs are pretty nice to deal with though some times demanding. For the most part they are pretty willing to help you learn and work with you.

Cons

Upper management plays way to much politics and tells you how to vote. During the 2008 election we were told to vote for GOP and dems were trying to screw us all. The main office has very little clue about a lot of stuff that goes on in the field.

Also do not buy the entire part dealing with oh jobs are fine and we are doing great. They made those same promises and the next week they did massive rounds of lay offs.

There is very little work life balance. They expect you to do stuff at a drop of a hate and work late no matter what you have going on at home.

It is commercial construction so it has booms and bust. Things change very quickly and it is not stable.
    You bonus get slammed by poor management decision up top costing the company millions.

Be more honest with your employees do not lie. Pay attention to what is going on in the field. Do not get in to politics and tell your employees how to vote.

Highly optimistic at the beginning, highly disappointed at the end.

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Austin Commercial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are excellent retirement benefits available since it is an employee-owned company with an ESOP. The culture promoted by the employee-ownership is mostly positive and breeds accountability through most of the company.

Cons

The quality of divisional leadership varies, which affects the divisional culture. Depending upon which division you work, there is a 'good 'ol boys' feel to the office dynamics. Some division managers pick favorite employees and if you come from the 'outside', do not be surprised if you are let go at the first sign of disharmony, regardless of your blood and sweat poured into the success of the projects/company.

Young employees are the future of your company; listen to their input and fight for them during rough times.

The more "Corporate" they get, the more dissatisfied the employees become.

I have been working at Austin Commercial

Pros

Overall good people in lower management positions, impressive Resume of completed and current Projects, customer relations oriented, safety oriented, travel opportunities available, Employee owned and profit sharing at exempt salaried levels.

Cons

Stagnant and limited advancement opportunities, restrictive advancement when the Company has short term needs for a particular talent. Inconsistent management styles and fairness from project to project as well as area to area.

Communicate with all employee owners, follow guidelines set forth for all, set examples, have consequences for all.

Austin Commercial review

Current Employee - Estimator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Estimator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Austin Commercial

Pros

Benefits Company Car Carreer Developement Co-workers

Cons

promotions are slow and not fair, not enough time is invested into training,

communication

Integrity in all we do?
    Hypocrites

I have been working at Austin Commercial

Pros

Fellow long term co workers who BUILT the company are now being marginalized.

Cons

Now management is holding on to past success by hiding the skeletons it took to get there. Now methodically getting rid of anyone who may know to much so a few at the top can finish out there careers. This is from the CEO on down!

To thine self be true. Everyone can see right thru you.

Slow moving

Current Employee - Office Worker
    Current Employee - Office Worker

I have been working at Austin Commercial

Pros

- retirement plan
    - strong portfolio of local projects
    - project teams are great at what they do
    - trying to slowly turn company around for the better

Cons

- sr. management behind the times
    - no communication from the president/sr. management
    - many people lazy with no follow through
    - many people in positions they should no be in
    - very unprofessional dresscode of many office workers
    - little room for advancement
    - last minute assignments lead to many late nights
    -weak regional offices
    -behind the times in technology, communication, policy

stronger communication, demote lazy, untalented employees

A Glimpse Into Austin Commercial

Former Employee - Office Engineer
    Former Employee - Office Engineer

I worked at Austin Commercial

Pros

- Great place to build your construction foundation.
    - People will take the time to explain task, procedures, blue print reading, etc.
    - Friendly people

Cons

- I have seen better Presidents run a company.
    - Advancement opportunities take a while.
    - Sometimes I found myself doing my boss's job.
    - Somehow lazy employs are able to keep a job (I guess that would be a pro for lazy people).

Nothing at this time . . .