Austin Communication Group

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Austin Smith

Rewarding Challenge

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time for less than a year

ProsThe work environment is fantastic. I came in as a new graduate and they were willing to teach me how to communicate better not only at work but also in regards to my personal life!

The people genuinely liked to spend time together outside of the office and they helped me step outside my comfort zone with "team nights". They genuinely care and are all funny and entertaining to be around.

I had the opportunity to earn more and be self-reliant. I stunned my family in my abilities and was able to grow in the business world, even when my major had NOTHING to do with sales, business, or marketing and had NO experience in management.

ConsYou have to bring your "A-game" everyday and, even when you feel sluggish, they are going to demand you to be the best version of yourself everyday.

You're constantly pushing your comfort zone (in the best way possible) so you're constantly a little uncomfortable.

Great atmosphere and tons of opportunity!

I have been working at Austin Communication Group full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking for ACG is comparable to attending business school. The managers and leaders take their time and put in a lot of effort in developing future business owners and making sure that everyone in the company reaches their professional and business goals. The atmosphere of the office focuses on team building, networking, strong work ethic and positive attitude at all times. It is a breath of fresh air to be a part of a company that focuses on adding value to others and providing opportunity for those who have earned it. I am constantly surrounded by the most competitive, hard working and highly motivated group of people. As a bonus, we have a lot of fun during team nights!

ConsThe company sets a very high standard on their expectations when it comes to their employees.

Hands on experience in direct marketing and leadership development

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time for less than a year

ProsThis company allowed me to enhance my interpersonal communication skills as a foundation for leadership and managerial development. I experienced all aspects of direct marketing and sales all awhile learning how to recruit, train, and manage a team of my own. The growth within the company is all within and achieved at your own pace. Opportunities present themselves to all those who are willing to work hard.

ConsYou must be willing to accept challenges and put in a full-days effort.

A business for people with above-average inspirations

Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Communication Group full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of life lessons, personal development, and great coaching. It's a management training program.
Never boring, never a dull moment. Every day is a mental adventure.
This career has made me a smarter, tougher, and more collective person. I've learned a lot about myself here.
You WILL get better career opportunities if you work harder than others
A metaphor: If you have the mentality of going to the gym rather then sitting on the couch, this is a career for you

ConsNot a career for people looking for hand-outs, mindless work, or the easy road through life
Some people will feel too entitled to commit, or "too good" for the hard work necessary for the business
Not for people who have self-limiting beliefs: self-confidence is necessary to succeed.
A metaphor: If you'd rather sit on the couch then go to the gym, this is not the career for you

Learning more than I could have imagined while having hands on approach in sales and marketing.

Austin, TX

ProsI enjoy working with ACG because you ALWAYS have someone behind you pushing to make you a better leader and/or mentor. I've always wanted a job that acknowledges when I do an awesome job.

ConsChallenges while working with ACG is consistently having the feeling of being uncomfortable. They push their employees to grow and develop (at a reasonable pace) which may come at a shock for some people. Also, they expect you to work hard and put in long hours, which is understandable if you want to succeed in life.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does a great job by always being there for their guys. It is great to know you are making a difference and your not just a number in a business.

Whole Development

Austin, TX

ProsPros and cons are all about perspective, and the mental fortitude to be able to change perspective is what this job is about. I work business to business sales, and I honestly love the whole concept. Aside from the fact that this is about professional development, personal development is where everything begins, and it is at the forefront of every day out in the field as well as in our morning meetings and atmosphere. The office culture is electric, upbeat, encouraging, and inspiring...I work with a crew that has my back through everything. How many people can say that about their job? They are building leaders, empowering individuals to become effective and resilient decision makers, and you are fully aware of the sincerity of that mission every morning when you walk in. I have learned my strengths and how to hone them to be effective with others, as well as my weaknesses and how to overcome them. Selling a product is just a way to chisel those features into stone...we are not your average salespeople.

Fantastic growth opportunity. Endless earning potential. Unfathomable experience while interacting with people out in the field. Professional and efficient mentoring.

ConsI don't look at things as cons...every seemingly negative situation can be turned into a great learning opportunity to grow as an individual with the right attitude.

Some people aren't big on the hours; I say you get out of life what you put in, and I'm investing in my future right now so I can enjoy life when I am older.

Some people don't like the idea of door to door sales; yet I have met some of the most amazing human beings from just being genuine about helping them and treating them like people, not a number. Plus, networking within your local sphere is always wise as an aspiring entrepreneur.

Some people don't have the work ethic and integrity for feet-to-pavement commission-based sales; but if you have the drive required, you can make fantastic commission payouts - I know this from experience.

Perspective. Life is beautiful when you change it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the awesome atmosphere and encouraging leadership. Our b2b crew is going to skyrocket this year!

Great Company to work for and be a part of!

I have been working at Austin Communication Group as an intern for more than a year

ProsI've had the opportunity to learn a lot about business operations, management and leadership...it was very hands on which is exactly what I needed. They treated me like any other employee (I was an intern) and I've gained a lot of experience from working with them. Everyone that works there is very welcoming and fun to work with. Management takes the time to get involved which is great, and there is a strong team atmosphere especially with the growth and advancement of employees.

ConsI can't really think of anything significant, but they definitely value hard work and driven individuals!

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for investing your time in me and my professional growth!

Great Management Training Program

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time for more than a year

Prosawesome work environment, opportunity for growth to a management role, cool people to work with, fun team events, great opportunity to earn the amount of money that you're actually worth!

ConsManagement has really high standards for employees so they are very picky on who gets to come in for an interview and even pickier on who works there.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up! You're doing a great job inspiring and motivating people!

Great learning experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Austin Communication Group

ProsI was with the team for about 6 months, and learned a ton. I had a lot of customer service experience but had never done direct sale before, and I felt like the training was extremely thorough. In my first few weeks, I spent a lot of time learning fundamentals and product knowledge in the office and in the field. I was expected to learn quickly, but also given a lot of support and guidance. All in all, they trained me to be extremely confident and proficient at sales, and I am grateful for that. I decided to take what I've learned and go into another field, but I miss working with the team a lot.

ConsHard work! Usually over 40 hour weeks in the end, but the day goes quickly since you're busy in meetings or meeting with customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for everything! I learned so much about business, and gained confidence thanks to you guys. Keep it up

Professional development

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat professional atmosphere. Business professional attire. Very social environment. Extremely positive co workers. Amazing CEO. Great pay. Competitive. Huge opportunity for growth. Performance based, NOT seniority based. Opportunity for travel. Company networking.

ConsThis opportunity is for motivated mentally strong individuals. Which is in no way a con. Some people are satisfied with being stagnent. This job is not for those who make excuses or expect handouts.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes i was a former employee of ACG and enjoyed every minute of it.

I was hesitant to start once I had the job offered to me, but I was extremely attracted to the opportunity for advancement. Especially coming from the service industry where I was so used to micro management and mistreated on a daily basis.

I started highly due to the fast paced environment, great opportunity for income, and the CEO. This guy completely reformed my character and developed me into the professional I am today. He literally gave me the blazer off his back because when I started I couldn't afford one myself.

On a regular basis, the entire office would go to team events, such as volleyball, football, billiards, basketball, driving ranges, BBQ's. Never once did I feel isolated by the group.

After five months of coaching, Training, learning how to drive revenue for a business and to develop others to do the same and take the same from the same opportunity, I decided to move and branch out to another business to use everything I learned from ACG and apply it. After four short months at this new business I was promoted to assistant management. I'm now two months away from entrepreneurship on my own. All thanks to the professionalism, character, social, confidence, skill set, and personal developments I gained in this business.

I am still in contact with many close friends from this job As well as the CEO --networking that helped explode my career. I won't ever forget my time at ACG nor will I ever regret any of it.

This opportunity is for people who work hard. The "go getters". The highly driven individuals who aren't satisfied with their stagnant title. The motivators. The people who want to take on any challange thrown at them with excitement. The competitive individuals who hate losing based on seniority. The people who want more than just a couple of acquaintances they speak with from 9 - 5. The people who want to change their family tree.

I am thankful to ACG and all of my former co workers for everything I've ever experienced and learned. It brought me to my successes I currently endeavor.

Thank you again. I know there will be an even brighter future for ACG.

Worked for Austin Communication Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Austin Communication Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Austin Communication Group CEO Austin Smith. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Austin Communication Group employees.