Austin Energy

2.7

Larry Weis

Pretty good

I have been working at Austin Energy

Pros

The work life balance is really good. There's rarely a week where you work more than 40 hours.

Cons

Lack of a challenge, people who have been at positions for too long, all the con's of working for a government

DONT WORK HERE!!! Terrible incompetant management and HR department. Treats employees like garbage.

Former Employee - Energy Program Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Energy Program Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easiest paycheck ever, very low expectations. Get paid to do almost nothing (if you like that type of thing). Little to no oversight.

Cons

Where to begin... So many problems. No opportunity for advancement. No pay for performance. Lots of employees stuck in positions with no mobility. Toxic management and HR department. Abuse temp and contract workers regularly. Very poorly run institution. The people of Austin deserve better!

Austin needs deregulation. It really is the only thing that fix what's wrong with this place. Forget about Austin Energy self correcting. Austin needs utility competition to put an end to the bloated bureaucratic incompetance of this place.

Interesting experience with the pros and cons of working for a municipal utility.

I worked at Austin Energy (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting group of people. Some were very talented, energetic and inspiring. The benefits overall were good, plus you were technically an employee of the city. There is job security plus programs set in place for employee health and wellness.

Cons

The cons sadly are that this company maintains the employment of some really lazy employees. Those who are unable to perform up to par are not fired. This makes the job more difficult and frustrating for those who come to work and actually DO work. Those middle/upper management, who were incompetent or unable to "play well with others" are transferred out to monitor the process of other work groups, rather than being let go. To justify their incompetent presence, these "employees" would then cause "speed bumps" for the new work groups to resolve. What a vicious cycle! Inefficiency at its best. As with any workplace politics is big. I also found that some employees had a feeling of entitlement and forget that it is part of their role to serve the people of the city.

1) Let go of the people who are unproductive. 2) Being an employee of the city means you SERVE the city. Some employees have forgotten this. Remind them.

HR postings on Glassdoor are entertaining, but don’t be fooled

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A paycheck and if you like this sort of thing, no expectations for deliverables; lip service will do. Lots of time to job search and interview.

Cons

Deceptive interview, the people were on point and I was excited about starting. At the close of my first day I realized that this was the biggest career mistake I’d ever made; ever. I started the job search and quit within two months.

There are two IT managers that have absolute disdain for the CIO, perhaps this is because he has expectations and they’re not used to delivering. But all you'll hear from day one is how terrible he is, perhaps you’ll get the infamous story about him not wanting people to bring drinks to meetings. Seriously, these are the complaints, deliverables and no drinks in meetings. When I was told about new activities coming down the pike I was excited at being able to do something only to be told to ‘ignore Alan, we just appease him, he’ll be gone soon.’

Not to worry, they also complain and talk terribly about their counterparts, their immediate managers and your co-workers and all by the end of your first week. My manager said the most unprofessional things about her team, behind closed doors of course. She told me about all of their flaws, their lack of work, etc. then would open another book and surf the net. It's okay, her team took the time to catch me up on her and others in the group as well. That was the end of my first week, I knew that none of them respected each other and all smiled at each other and pretended to like each other; such a social group of people talking smack; ugh, 4th grade all over.

The manager I reported to was running her team by reading from books and internet site information, there was no practical experience. After I was hired, there was no interest in the experience I brought, only what the books said. The team appeared content with the lack of deliverables, though "there was a lot to do." There is a spreadsheet of nothings that they measure their work load by. As a new employee I was able to add twenty items of nothings to the worksheet (required that I add every little thing a normal person does in a work day). The praise received for everything I was doing solidified my decision to leave.

My manager couldn't understand why the department wasn't gaining credibility. Well, when you read from a book or a website about how IT processes are implemented and assume that one size fits all, you're going to fail and never be invited to participate. Saying this in more polite ways was not appreciated; candor, no matter how polite is a bad thing here.

The only IT managers that seemed to have a clue was the IT Engineering and Service Desk managers, the others were really lacking. The IT PMO is a hot mess with a lot of head count, so that’s an area to be avoided.

I met a few people that really wanted to work, accomplish things and work towards the deliverables the CIO laid out, the problem is that nobody is fired and the excess of lazy people doing the least that they can, brings down the entire area. AE’s IT area needs a thorough house cleaning, but with taking years for termination (non-union) or transfers (union), it won’t happen. So unless you need the paycheck, save yourself the aggravation of being sold through the interview process of big things that need to get done, only to find that you’ll get dusty sitting in the chair with nothing to do.

Alan/CIO, needs to make a case to board so he can clean house. Until that happens, nothing in IT will change and each division within AE will continue to build their own version of IT, instead of using the central IT area. People need to be fired, it’s that simple.

AE

I have been working at Austin Energy

Pros

Good benefits plan for retirement.

Cons

Don't received recognition for the work you provide.

Excellent work environtment, great opportunity for growth!

Current Employee - Corporate Communications Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Communications Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Energy as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

No mircomangemnt, total idependence, I can go to anyone in my department for assistance. My supervisor is always willing to help.

Cons

The parking garage is kind of scary to park in everyday, but I'll get over it.

Keep up the great work!

Great experience and job security, but you gotta play the game!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learned some very technical and specified skills in the energy efficiency industry. Worked with some very talented and intelligent people. Benefits were great. Job security.

Cons

Lots of internal office politics, more so than most places. Have to watch out for gossip, which apparently travels fast and turns into fact very quickly. Not a lot of upward mobility once you are in.

Needs more positive reinforcement in the work environment as well as paths for upward mobility.

Good ole' boys are steering this Titanic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unequaled work/life balance to any other company in town. Office workers are 40 hours/wk and managers are 50-55/wk.

A pension. Where else you gonna get this?

Good vacation and sick time. Rolls over every year.

Security. Austin Energy never lays off and almost never fires.

Stability. This ship's not going down.

Cons

There are so many problems.

Bad executives and bad managers run rampant. You're constantly hiring and promoting people to run this place who are unqualified. Incompetent employees everywhere.

No reward for recognition, so why do any more than the minimum?

Opportunities are few and far between. Don't expect to get one. The people who move up do so by pulling favors. Some departments practically refuse to hire from the inside.

Lots of employees who are stuck. The norm is no career ladder and no internal training/mentoring. Impossible to get your salary up without moving around but again, moving around is nearly impossible also.

Lots of these non-mobile employees exist. Can you work the same job at almost the same salary for 30 years? Think about what this does to an employee. Think about what this does to a company.

History of employees working here until retirement and then coming back to work part time. That part time job is practically a given. Thus, the old ways of doing things continue...

This place is a disaster. Could be fantastic. You're a long distance runner with Olympic prospects who continuously jabs your leg with an ice pick. Wish you could get it together.

Look at the cons above and figure out how to solve them. You're the ones with the power.

Sadness and despair in everyone.

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Austin Energy as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Austin Energy will put food on your table.

Cons

I have never seen such a miserable and unhappy workforce. This could be because of the managment issues that others have posted already. I understand that issues with upper management can really hurt employee moral, and cause unhappiness. Even then, I still do not understand why everyone seemed to suffer so much, almost as if they were in physical pain. I did not find a single person that truly liked or trusted anyone else.

Have mercy and quit.

IT bureaucratic rules reduced productivity 50%

I worked at Austin Energy (less than an year)

Pros

Great retirement benefits. High pay for contractors. Friendly and helpful internal staff.

Cons

Hard department silos - must file written requests to speak to employees in different silos. Majority of department was new contractors. Did not have business processes well defined - much work was first time for department.

Authorize IT employees to do their jobs.

Austin Energy Photos