Austin Energy

www.austinenergy.com

Austin Energy Reviews

Updated Jun 9, 2014
Austin Energy – Austin – “721 Barton Springs”

Austin Energy – Austin – “721 Barton Springs”

Larry Weis

Excellent work environtment, great opportunity for growth!

Corporate Communications Intern (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNo mircomangemnt, total idependence, I can go to anyone in my department for assistance. My supervisor is always willing to help.

ConsThe parking garage is kind of scary to park in everyday, but I'll get over it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

AE

ProsGood benefits plan for retirement.

ConsDon't received recognition for the work you provide.

Great experience and job security, but you gotta play the game!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLearned some very technical and specified skills in the energy efficiency industry. Worked with some very talented and intelligent people. Benefits were great. Job security.

ConsLots of internal office politics, more so than most places. Have to watch out for gossip, which apparently travels fast and turns into fact very quickly. Not a lot of upward mobility once you are in.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds more positive reinforcement in the work environment as well as paths for upward mobility.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good ole' boys are steering this Titanic

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsUnequaled work/life balance to any other company in town. Office workers are 40 hours/wk and managers are 50-55/wk.

A pension. Where else you gonna get this?

Good vacation and sick time. Rolls over every year.

Security. Austin Energy never lays off and almost never fires.

Stability. This ship's not going down.

ConsThere are so many problems.

Bad executives and bad managers run rampant. You're constantly hiring and promoting people to run this place who are unqualified. Incompetent employees everywhere.

No reward for recognition, so why do any more than the minimum?

Opportunities are few and far between. Don't expect to get one. The people who move up do so by pulling favors. Some departments practically refuse to hire from the inside.

Lots of employees who are stuck. The norm is no career ladder and no internal training/mentoring. Impossible to get your salary up without moving around but again, moving around is nearly impossible also.

Lots of these non-mobile employees exist. Can you work the same job at almost the same salary for 30 years? Think about what this does to an employee. Think about what this does to a company.

History of employees working here until retirement and then coming back to work part time. That part time job is practically a given. Thus, the old ways of doing things continue...

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place is a disaster. Could be fantastic. You're a long distance runner with Olympic prospects who continuously jabs your leg with an ice pick. Wish you could get it together.

Look at the cons above and figure out how to solve them. You're the ones with the power.

Sadness and despair in everyone.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAustin Energy will put food on your table.

ConsI have never seen such a miserable and unhappy workforce. This could be because of the managment issues that others have posted already. I understand that issues with upper management can really hurt employee moral, and cause unhappiness. Even then, I still do not understand why everyone seemed to suffer so much, almost as if they were in physical pain. I did not find a single person that truly liked or trusted anyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave mercy and quit.

IT bureaucratic rules reduced productivity 50%

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat retirement benefits. High pay for contractors. Friendly and helpful internal staff.

ConsHard department silos - must file written requests to speak to employees in different silos. Majority of department was new contractors. Did not have business processes well defined - much work was first time for department.

Advice to Senior ManagementAuthorize IT employees to do their jobs.

Relax, peaceful and low-working-efficiency internship experience

Proshuge amount of free time, lots of good opportunities to take part in activities or seminars hold by different departments

Consreally really low working efficiency

Only game in town and they know it

IT Drone (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsA very small paycheck

Termination is near impossible, so you can sit in your chair all day and produce nothing but words.

The high ratings that HR has posted on Glassdoor about work/life balance is true, because watching the clock and leaving at five is the norm as are very long lunches.

Perfect place to run out the clock on your career or if retired, but want a few extra bucks without having to produce.

You get to meet the stereotypical union and government worker. Union is optional, but strongly encouraged. On the flip side, you'll get angry every time you open your Austin Energy bill. You are paying for you to sit and not perform.

You will get raises no matter what your performance rating is. Lazy people are paid the same and rewarded the same as those that produce, so why produce.

No internet surfing allowed, so bring your iPad, phone or a book, eight hours here is a long day.

ConsThe majority of IT managers work daily to undermine the CIO as wells as their peers and next level managers. It is common place to hear your manager bash their management, but not to worry, they also bash your peers and by extension, you are being bashed to your peers.

Then you have the ever so over worked PMPs that have on average one project each with a BSA for bringing in vendor apps or upgrades; yep, tough stuff making sure the infrastructure is in place, but overlooking basics like runbooks, alerts, etc. When you need to meet with PMs or BSAs they are, 'busy, very, very busy'.

Change management here is very easy, all paper based, no online system and very light. Those that hate that process will love this one.

There is very little skin in the game within IT because most of the people are contractors. Then you have the employees that are not engaged, because they don't have to be. It is made clear that termination is near impossible, especially if you joined the union. So, for the most part, employees are running out the clock. It's actually laughable to hear how stressed they are, two weeks in and you'll find that the stress is simply showing up. Nothing of importance is developed here, you are merely the infrastructure by which external companies install, manage and run their apps.

This company is a "success" because there is no competition. Automation, Security, etc. is like being in the '90s, the only cutting edge technologies come from vendors. They are such visionaries that they're still on paper and manager signed timesheets and your employment can only happen at the start of a pay-period because of their payroll system; that should have been the red flag.

There seems to be very little appetite to hold vendor’s feet to the fire when there’s been a failure. I’m accustomed to the incident or problem managers taking this over, but it seems to be non-existent here which can be a good or bad thing depending on your style. Personally, I’d rather not have repeat issues if it can permanently fixed. You hear about ITIL/ITSM, but you don't see it.

Make no mistake, there are some good people here, but they've stayed to long in hopes of change and now they're at that point where too much time has been put in, they'll lose the time/pension, etc. I get it, which is why I started my job search after my first month. The interview process was so full of promise, so much conversation and very engaging, they know all of the right words to say, but when you start you find out immediately that it was a lie. Again, theory.

Any IT professional worth their salt will avoid AE at all costs or use it as a temp check until a real job opens up in a real IT shop. This place is not innovative, productive and the only accomplishments are;
    • Managers who produce reams of useless word docs that have no meat and are never used
    • Managers who put down their team members to other team members
    • Managers who sit a spew theory, but when challenged on production, seek to undermine
    • Peers who advise you to do nothing, "because we make the money for the city so they leave us alone." (this is said by almost everyone and openly in the halls.)

Preparing to leave here is thrilling. It's important to note though that having this position on my resume created hurdles when dealing with private companies, so be prepared for that. I finally removed it from my resume and the calls started.

Now for the much reviled CIO who you will hear about from the day you start. Basically he is evil because he is making changes the only way he can, through reorgs, because, again, you cannot terminate for failure to perform. In return you have long term bench sitters who are angry and digging in their heels to prevent any effort that might result in them having to produce. It's a shame that his talents are lost on the truly lazy and poisonous management team that smiles and nods in his meetings, then informs the teams to "ignore him, he'll be gone soon enough".

Take any position, but this one; you won't be sorry that you passed this up.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the CIO, keep up the reorganizations, it's making your management team nuts and the people they are protecting nervous. I vote that you really shake things up and move every direct report you have with the exception of two, those two men get it. Start taking a real hard look at what your management team says they are delivering, don't be fooled by all of the worthless paper and gantt charts. Having met you and talked with you, I know you know this, but It's here not only for you, but for potential new hires. Until the old guard is gone, the union and HR will never be able to understand the high turnover.

This place is going down.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLocation, location, location. Lots of people will be retiring soon and there are many spots to fill. Good life/life balance.

ConsCommunication is non-existent. Poorly run. Lack technical skills. No internal customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers with people skills.

Horrible work environment

Systems Support Technician (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNot applicable, there are no pros to working at Austin Energy

ConsNo chance for employment if you are in IT unless your immediate family works in management.

They treat contractors horribly and let employees get away with everything.

Management has no concept of technology and future planning.

Worked for Austin Energy? Contribute to the Community!