Austin Focus

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014

2.9

CEO

If it's too good to be true...

Former Employee - Campaign Manager/Trainer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager/Trainer in Austin, TX

Pros

Great team atmosphere and motivation. Feels energetic...but that's where it stops.

Cons

Be ready to work 70+ hours a week and never see a significant other or even a friend. There is constant talk about how all of it will pay off once the management program is completed but that means a base pay of $7.25 =/hr plus commissions for at least 8+ months. Doing well, it can be expected to make about 15-18/hr...which is just not worth it when you basically eat, sleep, breath, and talk work. Also you only ever have boring (non cocktailed) social outings with your coworkers. Sorry but in the real world, happy hours happen. And given that this office is supposed to be made up of professionals, you'd think a drink or two wouldn't hurt. Also be wary of the "benefits" talk during the interviews. The "independent contractor" referred to for benefits really just means, that once you make management, you should be able to afford your own insurance. There is also a suspicious repeat of the same conversations morning after morning. It's almost as if they wake up every morning trying to re-convince themselves that this job is legit. Oh and be prepared to go into the office even on your days off.

Take some management and HR training. Maturity will come with time and experience.

Best decision I made since moving to Austin

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

They give you real life skills and experience that you can take anywhere and apply to future endeavors. They provide an exciting and fresh environment where you're constantly learning everyday. The staff is extremely friendly and it's obvious that they genuinely care about others growth.

Cons

The hours can be long and I worked most weekends, so I struggled with a work/life balance initially.

My advice for management would be to continue instilling the values of hard work and setting the example.

Motivation Station - PAID Internships!!!

Current Employee - Marketing Internship  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Internship in Austin, TX

Pros

The company culture is amazing - great positive energy.
    My dose of daily motivation!
    Practical application of market strategies as an internships!

Cons

Tough to work full time and be in school full time, so I worked as a winter intern and will interning again this summer!

I love to compare "internship notes" with my friends - they get coffee, I am gaining actual experience. My parents are super motivated about the mentality and life lessons offered.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, high energy work environment!

Pros

I have been a full time employee of The Austin Focus for 8 months. I appreciate the fast-paced environment and supportive atmosphere. My co-workers are all highly motivated and I always come to work with a smile on my face. Management is quick to recognize hard work with praise and bonuses.

Cons

The office recently relocated which has increased my commute.

Take me on the company R&R trip to Jamaica this year!

DONT!!!!

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

They do provide a positive environment for employees in the AM meeting and people are nice.

Cons

-You work 8:30 - 9 PM at times...LONG HOURS/DAYS!

-TERRIBLE PAY...You work your butt off for nearly nothing.

-Your job is to stand in a Sam's club all day and try to sell people the things like pizza, hair straighteners, and pirogues. Basically based on 100% commission.

***This is by far the worst idea I have ever attempted...please don't bother with this company***

The company is great if you like to work long hours, drive a lot, and sell products that are not that great.

Current Employee - Marketing Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Austin, TX

Pros

Nice co-workers, opportunities to network (with only people in the company), okay training.

Cons

Long hours, traveling far, work in a Sam's like a demo person, company meeting in the morning, every morning, even when you're off

Don't Bother with this 100% commission Job!!

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

They will hire anyone, mostly on the spot after their 2 part interview process.

Cons

This company is a sales company that pays 100% commission but promises you a FAKE hourly guarantee. I worked at Austin Focus and Infinity One Marketing for several months. (The are the same company.) They change their name every few months to get new recruits. We started out selling Speakers in Sam's Club and then switched to Whip it. These are not Fortune 500 companies.If you like pushing products on people trying to buy groceries then this is the job for you. Don't believe the story of all the Managers and Business owners they create. The last manager quit because they were expecting her to work 90 hours a week. My last complaint is they expect you to drive to Waco and San Antonio every week. I ate up my whole $350 check in gas!!

Be upfront with your applicants about the pay and the "Benefits"

Worked for Austin Focus? Contribute to the Community!