Austin Focus

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Focus full-time

Pros

Overall very positive and fun group of people. This position defiantly teaches the value of hard work and how it pays off. Someone can very easily gain a ton of experience with marketing and communication skills here. The compensation is based on how hard someone works. So if someone is questioning their work ethic, probably not the right place for them. As far as the opportunity, its refreshing to see such young people achieving their goals every day. I'm a little bit older and I've had several corporate positions before with not nearly the growth opportunities. I've seen people move from an EL position into a management position. Its also nice to work with such motivated people.

Cons

Position not for everyone. If someone is not willing/scared to put in hard work up front for the payout in the end, probably not the right place for you. Does involve long hours up front and occasional volunteering for things, its a job, what do you expect. If you feel like you can't stand and have a positive attitude, need not apply. As far as the time frame to get to the management role, its not always 6-9 moths like they say. I might be longer.

Lead by example

Not a pleasant experience

I worked at Austin Focus

Pros

I met some really nice people and you do learn very basic marketing techniques.

Cons

Don't be fooled in the interview. You will legitimately stand inside a sams club and sell mediocre products for 7-8 hours a day. I had people talk down to me on the daily because what we were trained to do was borderline aggressive, and if you are human and become annoyed or frustrated with this, you are accused of "losing your attitude" or talked to about the "opportunity." Every day after your shift, you have to call your leader and talk about how much you sold and If you didn't sell 800 dollars worth of product, something was wrong with you or your mentality. I found myself working 10 hours a day and barely getting paid. I could barely make rent and when I talked to my manager about this, she grilled me on what I was spending money on which is very inappropriate. The team that runs this office is very immature and clique ish. If anyone quits, the person is immediately looked down upon and talked about, I saw it happen. I was very disturbed and put off by the fact that it looked unprofessional if I wanted to go to church or do anything family related. If you choose to believe that this job is worth it in order to "own your own business", which isn't true because you're still working under smart circle regardless, and you can make 200,000 dollars in a year doing this, then give it a shot. I wish I had seen reviews like this before I started. All the positive reviews on this company are written by the managers and employees just to off set the reviews that show the truth.

Stop lying to your employees. Stop bragging about how much money you make. It's inappropriate.

Positive Experience, may not be for everyone

I have been working at Austin Focus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I am inspired everyday to make goals and have a positive attitude about life. The office is really high-spirited and the team really cares about your personal growth. It's a small business with potential for huge success - yes, at first you may seem sketched out but I've seen amazing things happen in my short time there.

Cons

This opportunity is not for everyone. It does involve long hours and sometimes putting in a lot of extra effort. You have to have a student mentality and an overall positive outlook. You also need to see past the present into the future. You will be standing on your feet 95% of the time.

An incredible opportunity, amazing of professional grow

Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Focus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is untouchable -- high energy, positive, motivational. The work is tough but incredibly rewarding. All training is paid and your managers want you to succeed. Everything you do is focused on goals -- real goals, like what you actually want to do with your life. It is young, and creative, and energized. The most incredible job I have ever had.

Cons

You work your butt off for a few months. Long hours, occasional voluntary travel, on your feet much of the day. It's event work, what do you expect?!

Keep at it -- I am inspired every day, and it is obvious that you genuinely care about the growth and well-being of each of your employees.

If it's too good to be true...

Former Employee - Campaign Manager/Trainer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager/Trainer in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin Focus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great team atmosphere and motivation. Feels energetic...but that's where it stops.

Cons

Be ready to work 70+ hours a week and never see a significant other or even a friend. There is constant talk about how all of it will pay off once the management program is completed but that means a base pay of $7.25 =/hr plus commissions for at least 8+ months. Doing well, it can be expected to make about 15-18/hr...which is just not worth it when you basically eat, sleep, breath, and talk work. Also you only ever have boring (non cocktailed) social outings with your coworkers. Sorry but in the real world, happy hours happen. And given that this office is supposed to be made up of professionals, you'd think a drink or two wouldn't hurt. Also be wary of the "benefits" talk during the interviews. The "independent contractor" referred to for benefits really just means, that once you make management, you should be able to afford your own insurance. There is also a suspicious repeat of the same conversations morning after morning. It's almost as if they wake up every morning trying to re-convince themselves that this job is legit. Oh and be prepared to go into the office even on your days off.

Take some management and HR training. Maturity will come with time and experience.

Best decision I made since moving to Austin

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Focus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They give you real life skills and experience that you can take anywhere and apply to future endeavors. They provide an exciting and fresh environment where you're constantly learning everyday. The staff is extremely friendly and it's obvious that they genuinely care about others growth.

Cons

The hours can be long and I worked most weekends, so I struggled with a work/life balance initially.

My advice for management would be to continue instilling the values of hard work and setting the example.

Motivation Station - PAID Internships!!!

Current Employee - Marketing Internship in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Internship in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Focus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is amazing - great positive energy.
    My dose of daily motivation!
    Practical application of market strategies as an internships!

Cons

Tough to work full time and be in school full time, so I worked as a winter intern and will interning again this summer!

I love to compare "internship notes" with my friends - they get coffee, I am gaining actual experience. My parents are super motivated about the mentality and life lessons offered.

Fun, high energy work environment!

I have been working at Austin Focus

Pros

I have been a full time employee of The Austin Focus for 8 months. I appreciate the fast-paced environment and supportive atmosphere. My co-workers are all highly motivated and I always come to work with a smile on my face. Management is quick to recognize hard work with praise and bonuses.

Cons

The office recently relocated which has increased my commute.

Take me on the company R&R trip to Jamaica this year!

DONT!!!!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin Focus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They do provide a positive environment for employees in the AM meeting and people are nice.

Cons

-You work 8:30 - 9 PM at times...LONG HOURS/DAYS!

-TERRIBLE PAY...You work your butt off for nearly nothing.

-Your job is to stand in a Sam's club all day and try to sell people the things like pizza, hair straighteners, and pirogues. Basically based on 100% commission.

***This is by far the worst idea I have ever attempted...please don't bother with this company***

The company is great if you like to work long hours, drive a lot, and sell products that are not that great.

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Focus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, opportunities to network (with only people in the company), okay training.

Cons

Long hours, traveling far, work in a Sam's like a demo person, company meeting in the morning, every morning, even when you're off