Austin ISD Reviews

Reset
3.2
Austin ISD Interim Superintendent Paul Cruz
Paul Cruz

Pros
  • The technology and resources available are great (in 3 reviews)

• The mentor program for new teachers is nice too (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no direction or guidance, huge drug problem left unaddressed by administration (in 6 reviews)

• I think the salaries AISD claim on their website to be competitive are only such when compared to rural areas or small towns in the vecinity (in 5 reviews)

1. Teacher

I have been working at Austin ISD full-time

Pros

Collaboration is great. At my campus, we have a lot of resources to help students succeed.

Cons

Teachers need to be paid more but that's everywhere.

2. Incredible experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin ISD (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pros with working with this particular school district is that it allowed me to have my summer months off!

Cons

The cons are that after 10 years of hard rigorous work the district laid off 3,000 teachers to cut costs but the administrators weren't effected. Its my impression that this plan of action spoke volumes about what they believed was important to kid's education.

3. PK teacher

I worked at Austin ISD full-time

Pros

Great vacation and Co workers

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth or pay increase

5. Substitute Teacher

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin ISD part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was a very flexible positions. You can work as much or as little as you desire, provided you are flexible. The telephone placement system is easy to use.

Cons

It can be difficult to get those first assignments. The classroom environments can be quite stressful at times, depending on the schools and assignments one takes on. New teachers should be flexible and keep an open mind.

Advice to Management

Maintaining classroom discipline seems to be a large problem for new teachers. This could perhaps be covered in greater detail during new teacher orientation sessions.

Great to start out with- great benefits, but forget being paid what you are worth

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin ISD (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are some of the best out there! You can choose which insurance policies fit your needs- I get good medical ins. for less than $50.00 per month, and vision and dental plans can be added for less than $10 or $15 per month.

Cons

The biggest con is that you are not paid what you are worth and the expectations of parents and the red tape of the school system are terrible. The parents run the schools and your first priority is to satisfy them, not teach the child.

Advice to Management

My advice is to pay people what they are worth- especially the Teacher's Assistants. Many TA's have bachelors degrees (and some have Master's), but AISD will not pay the top amount for this additional education. If you want to retain good people that are the backbone of the school, they need to be compensated better!

Teacher

Pros

The people I worked with were nice Benefits are great

Cons

Long hours of work Salaries are low for the amount of work

Advice to Management

More support for teachers instead of more paperwork. It would be nice if teachers could spend their time developing better lessons and helping their students, instead of having more meetings that are not that relevant to their work.

8. Enjoyed my time there.

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Austin ISD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love that AISD is dedicated to the arts! And my school, at least, had small class sizes and a great teaching team!

Cons

Health benefits were really expensive. I needed benefits for my whole family, and even the cheapest plan took a HUGE chunk out of my paycheck. Also, the salary was less than I would expect from a big urban district.

9. Community Engagement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

AISD has great employee benefits, mission-driven and opportunity for professional development.

Cons

AISD salary ranges are low and can allow give raises if the board approves it and if the legislators approve tax increases.

10. Pre-K Teacher

I worked at Austin ISD full-time

Pros

I get a regular schedule to work with, a sense of job security, and good health insurance. The kids are fun to work with.

Cons

It's a salary, so overtime doesn't occur in school districts. As most teachers know, the extra time we invest after school hours is for the sake of the quality of teaching/learning environment we will provide to our students.

Advice to Management

Keep office paper work to absolute necessary or give enough time for teachers to have the opportunity to submit paper work in a reasonable amount of time.

11. Bilingual Teacher

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin ISD (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of PAID training and salary incentives. Each teacher was assigned a security alarm code and had late night or early morning and weekend access to his/her classroom.

Cons

One vice-principal failed to seek medical aid for me after I arrived at work with injuries due to an accident that occurred on my way to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed