Austin ISD Reviews

Austin ISD Interim Superintendent Paul Cruz
Paul Cruz

Great place to work

I have been working at Austin ISD

Pros

Supportive central office, involved parents

Cons

Large city makes getting to meetings a challenge!

Things have changed

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin ISD full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It's great to work with the kids and see them growing both academically and socially. Working in Special Education is very rewarding. You have a number of holidays off in which you are paid and of course the summers, too. Because of inclusion, it can be fun to go to different classes to help your students.

Cons

A number of years ago, they initiated 'clocking in' as opposed to just signing in.. if you didn't sign in timely, your pay check reflected this. Also 2 days off were 'taken away' which means the salary is technically less. Benefits can be expensive for a family--actually cost prohibitive -and if you have any personal business to attend to, you have to take 4 hours off (and sometimes 8 hours)-even if you only need one or two hours off. There is also a lot of 'favoritism' from the supervisors with some the staff.

Instead of the tests being the way to evaluate the students' accomplishments, you need to focus on the individual classes and the success they have had in the class (more teacher input). Smaller class sizes is obviously the way to increase more student learning. Not all schools are 'created equal' and there needs to be more support in schools in which the 'scores' are low.

The education has changed so much. The focus of learning has been replaced by test scores.

Current Employee - Art Teacher  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Art Teacher in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin ISD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Best part of being an art teacher for AISD is the children. Art is the only time they can truly be themselves and express their feelings. Art is the time to discover who we are and communicate without worrying about mistakes or the boundaries of our imagination. It is a time to bloom, grow and feed our souls.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges I have experienced is keeping my student in the classroom to create their work. STARR testing has taken a priority over art. The teachers are stressed out and so worried about their performance and scores it takes the joy away for just being with our students.It saddens me to see some of the faces of the children and teachers during this time. Their is not joy or happiness in learning anymore.The training intense as well as the preparation for the children.There are some things like rallies and parades that we do to show that the entire school supports them, but very seldom do I see a smile.

I know that this testing is mandatory, but we need to put into place techniques that help the teachers as well as the students to reduce the stress and anxiety that comes with testing; basic yoga and relaxation exercises.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin ISD full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good benefits
    Great children, supportive families

Cons

Staff are territorial, and try to push out newcomers who do not comply to their ways
    Senior staff members are allowed to disobey the rules, be late, lazy, not help students 100%, but are the ones who are favored and represented against newer staff members
    For the schools I've worked at, pay is not enough for what I was expected to do and sacrifice- working weekends and from 7-7 sometimes.

Hard work is not as praised as seniority and favoritism is.
    Would have up to 7 other adults in the classroom critiquing my teaching abilities and my classroom appearance, other times special education teachers would be in the room on their phones or talking to another teacher instead of assisting students.
    Not enough support

If you want to keep youthful, educated, hard working teachers, do more to foster their growth and praise their accomplishments.

Great potential, not so great leadership

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin ISD full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, relaxed environment. The vast majority of the students were fantastic and of course time off was nice.

Cons

Absolutely no direction or guidance, huge drug problem left unaddressed by administration.

Leave your office every once in a while. Address drugs and truancy.

I taught 4 completely different classes in 3 different grades at 3 different schools during my first TWO years teaching.

Former Employee - Bilingual Elementary Teacher  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Bilingual Elementary Teacher in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin ISD full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work in a really great city, some schools offer novice teachers REACH mentors.

Cons

The "leveling" process is brutal for everyone, especially the students. It was impossible to be a good parent AND a good teacher at this district. The demands of the job are just too great.

Truly check on your principals. They often go rogue and then place the blame on their faculty for their bad decisions and scores. For example, at 2 out of 3 schools I worked at, we were told to "do whatever it takes to pass the district walk-throughs" but to completely disregard the Dual Language program and revert to teaching our ELL students in the old sink-or-swim method of bilingual education. Principals have already decided the Dual Language program is a failure but have not given it the adequate time (OR RESOURCES!) to find out if it really does or doesn't work. Ultimately, the biggest losers in all of this are the very ELLs we were hired to help.

Politics, resistant to change, but good people nevertheless

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin ISD full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable place to work, get a lot of time off compared to non-ed jobs, generally nice people to work with. People here really care about the students and the district.

Cons

People hate change here, lots of politics, ability for dictator managers to do illegal HR practices and HR does nothing about it. Many people feel underappreciated here, which is not good.

Listen to your employees and stop sticking by senior management when they are in the wrong. Do more to make your employees feel appreciated (does not have to be monetary).

Stressful work environment

Current Employee - Bilingual Teacher  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Bilingual Teacher in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin ISD full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

steady paycheck, good insurance benefits

Cons

not enough time during the work day to do all the things that were expected us

Focus on what is realistic for students cognitive abilities, as well as what is required from teachers based on the amount of work hours that are paid for.

An OK place to be stuck with little chance of advancement

Current Employee - Technology  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technology in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin ISD full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They have great time off policies - 2 paid weeks off for Christmas, a week for spring break, all the standard holidays off plus a week of sick, a week of personal leave and 2 weeks vacation.

Cons

The HR department is unwilling or unable to come up with a way to offer reasonable compensation. They use some archaic metric to determine what your starting salary is and then, with the exception of across the board pay increases, there is where you will forever remain. No realistic evaluation of skills upon hire. No merit increases. This results in high turnover in some departments, and little opportunity to attract qualified, quality replacements.

Do some research out there and see what kind of money will need to be spent in order to attract and retain even mediocre employees (You aren't even in the low end of the ballpark). Elsewise the turnover will remain high, and the available candidate pool will remain very small.

Austin ISD; low pay for enormous expectation of workload

Current Employee - Taecher  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Taecher in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin ISD full-time for more than a year

Pros

AISD school are central to the Austin area and therefore, with the traffic problem in Austin, it is ideal for the commute

Cons

AISD pays the least of all Austin area school districts but expect more considering that the students in most of the lower economic areas are not performing at grade level. They rarely fail students due to statistic that show that failing before entering high school decreases the drop out rate. The student demographic (minus the few higher end neighborhood) is comprised of mostly Title 1 qualifying student populations with little to no parental support. Therefore, students enter each grade level primarily illiterate.

NA

Worked for Austin ISD? Contribute to the Community!