Austin Lane Technologies

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
3.6

Austin Beaty

Great growth opportunities for interns and new hires

Current Employee - Support Programmer Analyst in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Support Programmer Analyst in Denton, TX

I have been working at Austin Lane Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I started off as an intern at Austin Lane while pursuing an engineering degree at the local university. The role rapidly developed into a full-time position.
    Small company that is growing exponentially, is established with a large client base, and has enormous growth opportunities for new hires and interns. Great group of people to work with; everyone knows each other on a first-name basis. You immediately start noticing how vital and important each employee is. Be prepared to make many friends.
    Senior management has worked every position that the company offers and have been in the industry for many years so they know their stuff. They are easily approachable, set realistic goals and standards for everyone, and practice what they preach. There is absolutely no drama or work politics. Senior management takes great care and detail in hiring the right person for the roles and has a talent for recruiting gifted people. They prefer to promote from within the company rather than just get someone to fill a position.
    Company offers team-building, company dinners, and various events throughout the year. Since the company is relatively small, everyone pulls their weight. What everyone does is very transparent and there is nowhere for slackers to hide. Austin Lane keeps expanding and growing so every day there is something to do.
    The development team is given full range and freedom to develop solutions. Interns are given the opportunity to work alongside them to really get to know the software. Development team is always helpful at answering questions or pointing you in the right direction. You’ll learn more about the software development cycle in the first few months than all four years of college.

Cons

Small team size with a rapidly increasing client base so when someone is out, everyone is affected.
    Company is getting larger and quickly filling up its offices so office space can be a bit tight.

My advice to interns is to apply if you really have the drive to make a career out of it. This is not just another internship to throw on that resume. My advice to management is to keep doing what they’re doing. Keep hiring the right people and keep maintaining the great work ethic, culture, and atmosphere of Austin Lane as it continues to expand.

Austin Lane is a great place to grow your career.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denton, TX

I have been working at Austin Lane Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working for a small business has many more opportunities for knowledge growth and development. As a developer, I am able to work on the cutting edge technology for our software solutions. I am directly contributing to the companies growth and customer satisfaction with our software, which makes me feel accomplished and excited to come to work everyday. We have a great team atmosphere throughout the office.

Cons

The company was built on Christian based views and beliefs, which is great for the ownership to keep as guiding values. However, these beliefs do blend with the day-to-day work, which make some employees uncomfortable.

Very special place to work, one in a million.

Current Employee - Network Systems Analyst in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Network Systems Analyst in Denton, TX

I have been working at Austin Lane Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small company with great values
    Everyone has a common goal and works towards it
    Extremely tight knit team, with a focus on having an excellent business culture
    No slackers / Everyone pulls their own weight
    Core values and a company that always does the right thing
    Team is allowed to design technological solutions with little to no micromanagement
    I feel like I directly make a difference within the company and towards clients
    Company is very fair to both clients and employees
    Great opportunities for growth as the company grows
    Performance is rewarded fairly
    You'll make fast and excellent friends
    Given the small company size, you get an opportunity to handle diverse responsibilities that you may not get a chance to at a larger company
    This is the best team I've ever worked with

Cons

Time tracking can be cumbersome, but senior management is actively working on remedying that

Keep doing things the way you've been doing them, this is a very special company, and has some of the best people I've ever worked with.

Petty time tracking, lack of vision, practically forced you to participate in a Monday morning prayer meeting.

Former Employee - Support Programmer/Systems Analyst in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Support Programmer/Systems Analyst in Denton, TX

I worked at Austin Lane Technologies as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Decent job for an intern. It's a small company so it allows you to wear a lot of hats and see all aspects of the business.

Cons

Management lacks vision and micromanages, the product is pretty shoddy and difficult to support (or was at least...hopefully it has improved), and the big game breaker for me was the 'optional' Monday morning prayer meeting. The problem with that was, they said that it was 'optional' and you didn't have to participate if you're not religious. However, after not going to it for my first few weeks, I noticed that people who attended were coming back to their desks and talking about business related topics that were discussed during this 'prayer meeting'. I then decided to attend going forward because they were discussing things I needed to know...and I'm pretty sure somewhere along the way what they did in this regard was illegal.

Don't micro manage (hire employees you can trust so you don't feel the need to look over their shoulder and force them to account for their time in 15 minute intervals with your time tracking software) and keep your religious view to yourself. It ostracizes people and makes them feel uncomfortable, not to mention the fact that discussing business issues during those meetings may be illegal...just sayin.

Great Company, Great Opportunities, Great Culture, with Consistent Growth

I have been working at Austin Lane Technologies full-time

Pros

Austin Lane is consistently growing (the number for company size that is currently posted is too small). I am excited to see where it is going.

The working atmosphere is really great as there is plenty of comrade going on. This shows during work and outside work. For example, many of my team members play on a kickball team together and those that are not playing (like myself go out and watch).

Senior management has a genuine concern for each employee and consistently pours into team members. They perform one on one evaluations with suggestions on how you as an individual can grow. Regular team buildings occur where senior management go over life skills that we as individuals need at work and outside of work.

What has really spoken volumes to me is that everyone will make a mistake but not everyone is willing to admit their mistakes. I have seen senior management admit their mistakes to us.

Cons

I really do not have much in regards of cons. However, sometimes team buildings go over the allotted time

Try to keep team building within the allotted time.

I worked for Austin Lane

Former Employee - Managed Services in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Managed Services in Denton, TX

I worked at Austin Lane Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small office - family atmosphere.
    Co-workers were very friendly.
    Exposure to a wide variety of technologies
    Friendly customer base
    Management was made up of genuinely good, honest folks.
    Management was approachable and offered good coaching.

Cons

I wasn't fond of keeping and recording my time every day, but to be fair, everyone recorded their time, including senior management.
    Tended to be short-staffed more often than not.

Highly creative environment with varied and interesting work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denton, TX

I have been working at Austin Lane Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Developers are given extensive creative freedom to develop solutions to software issues and when developing new additions to the product. Management is open to embracing new technology, libraries and services when appropriate, and are very much for self-motivated learning and research of these same concepts.

Projects taken on by the team are mostly interesting, and lead to many opportunities for personal advancement in knowledge and skills at no cost to the employee.

Management likes to keep updated on what the team members are working on, but do not go so far as to micro-manage employees. This gives a good feeling that they are aware of all the current projects and will not overload the team.

The office is very close-knit, and all team members are friendly and easy to work with.

Feedback on development decisions and project planning is frequently solicited from the team, and all recommendations are considered seriously.

Cons

Small team size means more responsibility per team member

Legacy internal systems can lead to workflow issues

Little free time to work on personal projects

Focus on updating development hardware/systems on a more frequent basis

Look at structuring development time to allow for more internal/personal development

Beware.

Former Employee - Tech Support in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Denton, TX

I worked at Austin Lane Technologies

Pros

Small company atmosphere and energy, opportunities for growth.

Cons

Some dishonest and incompetent management.
    Focused more on getting tickets closed ASAP instead of taking the time to get the job done right.
    Poor communication and lots of finger pointing.
    Senior management doesn't take any responsibility.
    High employee turnover

Just be honest and do good work.
    The office is not an appropriate place to continually offer political opinions. No matter how sincere and deeply held, they end up alienating people, and are always irrelevant to getting work done.

Has potential, but not a good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

I worked at Austin Lane Technologies

Pros

Nice office
    Fun company events
    Senior management is very dedicated
    Very friendly employees, you'll make good friends.
    Small company atmosphere and energy, opportunities for growth.

Cons

Management pressures you to work overtime on a regular basis.
    Analyzes where you spend every 15 minutes.
    Poor communication and lots of finger pointing.
    Senior management doesn't take any responsibility.
    High employee turnover in software development.

Stop micro managing your employees and start trusting them to do their best. Command and control style of management doesn't work well in software development.