Austin Regional Clinic

Norman Chenven, M.D.

Disorganized , dysfunctional ,and an abysmal Company to work for

Current Employee - EMR Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - EMR Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- There really isn't even one.

Cons

- Unprofessional , rude, and highly unresponsive management in EMR department - Low salary, attempts from beginning to cheat employees out of salary and hours - Work environment systems constantly down, leading to constant last minute shifts in hours and locations that are an hour away from one another - Rude , apathetic , and unhelpful HR

Advice to Management

Organize , and actually have a viable work environment instead of calling people after they are at work telling them it has been moved somewhere else.

It's a hectic job with not many pay raises but pretty good benefits and includes a lot of backstabbing.

Pros

I like the benefits and the paid time off that you accrue. SOME of your coworkers will be like family! Love that aspect...when there is teamwork!

Cons

Hardly any raises. When you do a good job, but your job review still makes you feel like you aren't. The condescending way certain supervisors and good forbid an interim supervisor talks to the subordinates. The drive to work and you feel like you need to bring a box to pack your stuff everyday because they fire people like crazy. Most employees are terrified of certain supervisory personnel. Some of your coworkers will have a bad way of communicating with each other, also. It's like you and your good coworkers are adrift on a little raft falling apart in shark infested water and you are clinging to each other for dear life! That's a typical day here. I recommend you join the float pool, skip the benefits, and avoid the BS.

Advice to Management

Supervise and train nursing supervisors and observe their handling of employees. Most are wonderful, but the bad ones are just so bad. Nurses that eat their young mixed in with the great ones!

If I could have found a different place to work in the recession, I would have

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

While I was not paid fairly for what I did, I did receive a pay check. Overtime was available due to the number of people calling in sick.

Cons

Con's consisted of many things. Self insured. This meant when your kid fell off their bike and injured themselves, they called that a preexisting condition. I heard a boy broke a leg playing basketball and they said the same thing. Limited your choice of hospitals to their affiliate. Since I have worked there, I would never be a patient there. Medical Assistants are poorly paid and treated like servants.

Advice to Management

Fire some of the people on the upper rung. Could be the old adage, that it rolls downhill but I prefer to be an optimist and think it is only the few who are horrible people.

Drama

Pros

Small clinic system so everyone knows each other.

Cons

No room full for growth. Too much drama.

do not work here. it sucks

I worked at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. There is nothing good about this company or the way they care for their patients.

Cons

Everything. There is so much gossip and micromanagement. Now room for growth.

7. Isolated and stagnant

Pros

It was a stable place to work and the workload was reasonable. I did not have to work outside of regular business hours often.

Cons

ARC once was named a best place to work in Austin by a local publication a few years back, and seems to have coasted on that accolade since. The office I worked in was located in a dismal part of town and was a chore to get in and out of thanks to the only access point being a feeder road. And that's before rush-hour traffic even hits! Management has people in their ranks that lack social, communication, and fundamental management skills. They overcompensated their deficiencies by micromanaging the most trivial of day-to-day operations. Upper management hardly ever communicated with the employees directly, and as a result fostered an environment where employee camaraderie and face-to-face communication is discouraged in favor of mass e-mails. I went full business days where nobody would talk to me except for a series of emails even though the senders of those emails were all in close proximity of my desk. There were no initiatives to encourage employees to expand knowledge in their career fields, and any ideas to improve operations were met with major resistance or simply ignored. The antiquated status quo rules here. If you are looking to expand your career in an interactive, growing environment you may have a challenge working here.

Advice to Management

Please appoint managers who possess leadership qualities and are willing to be in that position. It seems like certain people were put in decision-makings positions not ready and/or willing to take on those challenges, and it showed in their attitude and work. Also have leadership in place that will work to break down the intra- and inter-departmental communication silos that exist in some parts of the company.

8. Not terrible, not ideal

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Austin, TX

Pros

Voted best places to work by Austin Business Journal. Most employees seemed to like it and feel proud to work there. Manager was good at being inclusive of diversity.

Cons

Good opportunities for people in the medical profession, limited opportunities for a marketer. Manager tended to be negative during employee reviews, even of some really good workers. She tended to think no one was ever doing enough.

9. It's a great starting place.

Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed, friendly environment. Job security is high. People are generally happy to work there. There is some room for growth. Management is encouraging of your own professional development.

Cons

The pay is low, but comparable to other salaries is Austin. The corporate environment is not as forward thinking as most healthcare companies in Austin, but recent changes are showing a turn. The organization of the company can be confusing at times.

Long Haul

Current Employee - Insurance Follow-Up Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Follow-Up Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic leadership at many of the locations. Very good benefits. Opportunities to learn a wide range of skills. Low employee turnover

Cons

Very few chances for advancement. Depends on what clinic you are at but most supervisors have been with the company for 10 plus years. Which is a plus once you are there however it means working in a significantly under paid job for 10 years in order to get to a supervisor position. I work in the billing office and the average cost of living raise was about .40 cents per hour.

Advice to Management

Don't provide false hope for advancement.

11. Have it all, or at least a small portion

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance, your a part of a family.

Cons

The ARC "take" Advantage, the pros blind you. Limited opportunities for career advancement. Salary for non-clinical is not competitive.

Advice to Management

Develop your employees. Give them all the opportunities to be successful in even if that means they go on to bigger things outside your company.

RSS Feed </> Embed