Austin Regional Clinic

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014
3.2

Norman Chenven, M.D.

If I could have found a different place to work in the recession, I would have

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While I was not paid fairly for what I did, I did receive a pay check. Overtime was available due to the number of people calling in sick.

Cons

Con's consisted of many things. Self insured. This meant when your kid fell off their bike and injured themselves, they called that a preexisting condition. I heard a boy broke a leg playing basketball and they said the same thing. Limited your choice of hospitals to their affiliate. Since I have worked there, I would never be a patient there. Medical Assistants are poorly paid and treated like servants.

Fire some of the people on the upper rung. Could be the old adage, that it rolls downhill but I prefer to be an optimist and think it is only the few who are horrible people.

It's a hectic job with not many pay raises but pretty good benefits and includes a lot of backstabbing.

I have been working at Austin Regional Clinic

Pros

I like the benefits and the paid time off that you accrue. SOME of your coworkers will be like family! Love that aspect...when there is teamwork!

Cons

Hardly any raises. When you do a good job, but your job review still makes you feel like you aren't. The condescending way certain supervisors and good forbid an interim supervisor talks to the subordinates. The drive to work and you feel like you need to bring a box to pack your stuff everyday because they fire people like crazy. Most employees are terrified of certain supervisory personnel. Some of your coworkers will have a bad way of communicating with each other, also.
    It's like you and your good coworkers are adrift on a little raft falling apart in shark infested water and you are clinging to each other for dear life! That's a typical day here.
    I recommend you join the float pool, skip the benefits, and avoid the BS.

Supervise and train nursing supervisors and observe their handling of employees. Most are wonderful, but the bad ones are just so bad. Nurses that eat their young mixed in with the great ones!

Disorganized , dysfunctional ,and an abysmal Company to work for

Current Employee - EMR Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - EMR Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- There really isn't even one.

Cons

- Unprofessional , rude, and highly unresponsive management in EMR department
    - Low salary, attempts from beginning to cheat employees out of salary and hours
    - Work environment systems constantly down, leading to constant last minute shifts in hours and locations that are an hour away from one another
    - Rude , apathetic , and unhelpful HR

Organize , and actually have a viable work environment instead of calling people after they are at work telling them it has been moved somewhere else.

do not work here. it sucks

I worked at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None. There is nothing good about this company or the way they care for their patients.

Cons

Everything. There is so much gossip and micromanagement. Now room for growth.

It's an ok place to start out and gain experience. Chances of increase pay are slim to none.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility with work-life balance and family. Management is very flexible and understanding.

Cons

You get the "ARC discount". You get the benefits and you pay for them with your check.

Stop the favoritism.

Good company to start - not a good company for pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's a good company to begin working in healthcare and get your feet wet. Good to get experience. Management really works with you and personal life. It's an "ok" environment to work at. They do offer tuition reimbursement, flexible hours, vacation, 401K, insurance, etc.

Cons

The pay is what makes the company. Either management or HR approves the pay rate and they really try to squeeze as much out of you for as little pay as possible. tuition reimbursement could definitely be more than $1,000 a year. The insurance is set so employees could only see ARC providers or pay out of network fees.

Very good company depending on the Clinic you work at and who the Manager is at that location

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Able to take off whenever as long as you have the time. My manager is great and as long as you do your work they leave you alone

Cons

At times we have been very short handed and it can get very fast paced . They are strict on overtime if business is slow.

Treat your employees a little better. They are just as important in your place of business as anyone else

Have it all, or at least a small portion

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance, your a part of a family.

Cons

The ARC "take" Advantage, the pros blind you. Limited opportunities for career advancement. Salary for non-clinical is not competitive.

Develop your employees. Give them all the opportunities to be successful in even if that means they go on to bigger things outside your company.

Long Haul

Current Employee - Insurance Follow-Up Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Follow-Up Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic leadership at many of the locations. Very good benefits. Opportunities to learn a wide range of skills. Low employee turnover

Cons

Very few chances for advancement. Depends on what clinic you are at but most supervisors have been with the company for 10 plus years. Which is a plus once you are there however it means working in a significantly under paid job for 10 years in order to get to a supervisor position. I work in the billing office and the average cost of living raise was about .40 cents per hour.

Don't provide false hope for advancement.

It's a great starting place.

Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin Regional Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed, friendly environment. Job security is high. People are generally happy to work there. There is some room for growth. Management is encouraging of your own professional development.

Cons

The pay is low, but comparable to other salaries is Austin. The corporate environment is not as forward thinking as most healthcare companies in Austin, but recent changes are showing a turn. The organization of the company can be confusing at times.