Australia Post

Ahmed Fahour

Country shops left hanging

Current Employee - Postal Services Office
    Current Employee - Postal Services Office

I have been working at Australia Post part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The fellow staff and customers

Cons

My store has been short staffed for six months due to some genius cutting down the hours of one of our positions. Worst hiring methods ever.
    I personally have been trying to complete further training and keep hitting a brick wall but cant move up until this training is done.

Your doing it all wrong. Get out of the cities and look at country towns people stressed and over worked because your methods are not working

Long work time

I worked at Australia Post

Pros

Good staff culture and experience

Cons

No transparency from management to staff

Have some respect for emplyees

10 years and nothing for it

Former Employee - Postal Service Officer in Canberra (Australia)
    Former Employee - Postal Service Officer in Canberra (Australia)

I worked at Australia Post full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Structured environment. Good pay and Flexible hours.

Cons

I worked for Australia Post for 10 years and always put my best effort in, even when others were slacking off. I kept up with my training and even paid for Business Management Tafe courses out of my own money so that I could advance into management. I left when I had kids and after that it has been impossible to get back into Australia Post. I've applied for positions online for the last three years but haven't even had an interview. I don't understand why they don't want to hire someone who has 10 years of experience working for Australia Post and that doesn't need any training. I have remained up to date with training by working at LPO's.

Hire someone who already has the experience and training so that you don't' have to pay for training.

Delivery facility posties and management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Australia Post full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Secure, reasonable pay for the sort of work, early starts & early finishes are often possible

Cons

Delivery centre management can be a strange bunch, ranging from micro managing nuts to those who keep out of your way. Not a very educated or informed lot in general.

Postal Delivery Officers are subject to the vagaries of the weather and varying workloads; the physical requirements can be challenging; but most of all have to take the supervision by many lower and middle managers who'd be lucky to break the century, IQ wise.

Extreme time and motion style management went out with the Ark. Join the late 20th century, at least.

Sales Exeutive

Former Employee - Sales in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Australia Post full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

care about its people, consistent values, try to offer work-life balance

Cons

Leadership lacks direction, doesn't walk the talk, poor communication. Very top heavy, extremely political, people work hard but don't know what the company expects from them. Leadership is very self promoting.

Have a strong corporate direction and communicate it properly to staff. Stop the politics.

Unethical and highly political company with no loyalty to employees

I worked at Australia Post full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best reasons to work here...you get a staff discount at postal shops !!!

Cons

Performance appraisal systems is unethical. It has nothing to do with your meeting of objectives. Its all about who you know.Retrenchment lacked integrity. No attempt to re-deploy middle management. No loyalty. People with 30 years experience walked out the door on the same day.Internal jobs given to ex NAB colleagues. Many are not advertised internally. Continual re-structuring, no investment in training, no career opportunities. Salaries not competitive. Highly political. No room for people who give honest opinions for the benefit of the company.If you are not a "yes-man", you will be exited. Constructive dismissal is the term used

Sit up and take not of what your employees are saying. The performance appraisal system is a complete farce !. Hire people who are qualified to do the role, and be prepared to listen to those who have a valid opinion, based on experience. They may prove to be your best resources, even if they are not "yes men"

Be willing to play the game or get used up and spat out.

I worked at Australia Post full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good for what you do. There are some great people around. Like any public service role you will not have to work too many hours unless you want to climb the ladder.

Cons

Ongoing training and mentoring is virtually non-existant. The ability to progress in your career is largely political. Senior management offers no real leadership and has no communication skills. The business will likely continue to downsize as mail volumes decrease.

A challenging two speed business facing into digital disruption.

Current Employee - General Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Australia Post full-time (more than an year)

Pros

An opportunity to put your stamp on an iconic brand that has served Australians for the last 200 years.

Cons

The challenges you face everyday, you must deal with without access to perfect information and move quickly to act given the speed at which the business is changing. It is not for the faint hearted.

Move fast !

Poor experience. Calibre and integrity of head office management is particularly poor.

Current Employee - Head Office in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Head Office in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Australia Post full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High salary given the skills required for the job, and the lack of value contributed by head office staff.

Flexible, steady hours.

Cons

Poor management. Lack of integrity. A great deal of politics, hierarchy and inefficiency at all levels.

Good, diverse training ground

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Australia Post full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Because Australia Post is now embarking on new product offerings, the variety of things to do is constantly expanding. It's a good training ground to acquire and develop new skills. Opportunities for growth/diversity is there for those who wants to drive their career.

Cons

- Performance and talent management needs to be improved to ensure objectivity
    - politics at work can be quite frustrating

Invest in people managers to ensure staff are taken care of