Australia and New Zealand Banking

Australia and New Zealand Banking Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Australia and New Zealand Banking CEO and Director Michael R. P. Smith

Michael R. P. Smith

Pros
  • Being able to move around the company, Building is excellent and ok work-life balance(in 53 reviews)

• Great people & wonderful environment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Tendency for senior management to forget about the people below(in 7 reviews)

• No scope for career growth or learning(in 6 reviews)

Great place to work for psychopaths

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Docklands (Australia)

ProsSalaries are high. Learning to use simple terms like: 'customer experience', 'strategic adaptation', 'innovation', and 'outperform' ensures a successful career.

ConsNuffs nuffs with narcissistic personality disorders are in control; the matrix structure means that in order to actually do something you need line up 10 different functional areas - none of whom have the same priorities; 'living the values' is code for 'play the game'; systems are beyond bad

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and resign

Short-lived promise. Now on an inevitable tail-spin. Culture is flagging.

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsStill hiring. Some growth. Good vision.

ConsDealing with old-school bureaucrats legacy.
    Psychopathic management.
    Lip-service to "Values" but sluggish execution.
    Lack of strategic view.
    Australian head-office slow to adapt to change.
    New Zealand office is so insular, even the Australian office hates it.
    Asia may have some new ideas to offer, but no budget to pursue it.
    Offshoring offices (hubs) are run like BPOs - but everyone calls them "banks" - except they aren't. (Heard of the term KPO?)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to vision. Get back to values.
    Retire all these bureaucrats and politicians who are running your business to the ground.

Great start to my career

Technology Graduate (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsCompletive Salary, Good environment and good opportunities.

ConsWorklife can get stale at times, does not offer a culture or employee satisfaction that is offered by the many well known tech companies (but there is a drive to change that), strong conservative suit and tie culture the higher you progress in the organisation.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it more appealing to the younger generations and it will pay back in dividends.. Offer more then an above average salary.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Team Leader (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsGrowth , Value , Willingness to listen , Employee-Oriented

ConsNot well organized , Somtimes power in wrong hands

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Employee interaction (Bottom Up Approach)

Great experience, lots of teamwork between teams

Administrative (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsGreat for personal growth and learning as you are able to learn things from ground level up, it was good training and exposure to the finance industry

ConsI felt that there could be more bonding activities, friendlier environment between the teams as everyone was caught up doing their own work. Would be great for the company culture if there were more activities to engage everybody in

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat efficiency, overall friendly culture, opportunities for growth

Low Morale

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsBeing able to move around the company, Building is excellent and ok work-life balance

ConsMorale is really low, LOTS of IT issues, Cliquey culture, lots of knowledge pool where some staff are reluctant to share.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade technology, make decisions and stick to them, encourage staff

Great work culture and work life balance

Manager, Group Model Validation (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsVery strong HR and compliance practices

ConsLimited opportunities of growth within India

Institutional Graduate

Institutional Graduate (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsOpportunities - exposed to numerous areas of the bank and senior leaders. Make of it what you will. Super regional push.

ConsTypical bank culture. You must be self reliant and energetic. If you fall into a slump no one will pick you up.
    Technology blows. Numerous systems that don't talk to each or can't cut the data as required. Lots of manual spreadsheets to patch the shortfalls.

Bloated and political corporate behemoth- a breeding ground for psychopaths.

Manager (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsRewards employees well with salary, bonuses, sharing in large profits.

ConsRewards the wrong employees well. Like most large companies the cultural and ethical policies are there to protect management and not truly develop a high performing organisation. Toxic behaviour and bullying are rife and a good proportion of the employees are either incompetent or lazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop paying lip service to policies designed to improve culture and actually reward those who foster collaboration, quality and high performance rather than force management to be so competitive internally.

Work quality

ProsVery ambitious super-regional agenda, excellent work-life balance, market competitive wage.

ConsNot too many, at this stage.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going as per plan

Worked for Australia and New Zealand Banking? Contribute to the Community!