Australia and New Zealand Banking

Australia and New Zealand Banking Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Australia and New Zealand Banking CEO and Director Michael R. P. Smith

Michael R. P. Smith

Pros:
  • "A lot of talent on the floor to learn from and a reasonable approach to work life balance etc"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Generally good work environment (property and facilities)"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Tendency for senior management to forget about the people below"
    in 6 reviews
  • "No career growth for technology employees"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Do not work at this place

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Australia and New Zealand Banking full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay, the HQ is a nice building

ConsPolitics, toxic culture, bad behaviour encouraged or left to fester, a lot of "lifers" who are dead weights, senior people who think they are smarter than they are, a lot of people who abuse sick leave or are unreliable and simply do not turn up to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house of some teams especially some lifers and hire much more smarter people.

"Lovely" Company to work with

I have been working at Australia and New Zealand Banking full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere's a lot of other business units so you can move around

Conshardworking and talented employees are not being acknowledged..however the ones who can provide a lip services to the management goes a long way in the company. as a result company's talents often move to the competitor. instead of being appreciated for you've done all you get is more and some more extra works. Management often does not take consideration on how they distributed the workloads, allowing the lazy one... take their time completing their work (without management pressure).. while the more dilligent one do more and more work because of the fear of rejecting the work/ being called not competent. Often they cannot stand for themselves unfortunately. is that fair?

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotion and remuneration policy needs to be review to acknowledge talents. unhappy employees will have implication in their performance and in the end it will affect the end clients .. please remember that these end clients are the reason as why we exist in the business!! and not only the shareholders!! everything must be balanced! giving more works to employee where their remuneration stays the same is not very ethical!

Toxic culture and incompetent, dishonest management.

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Australia and New Zealand Banking full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOk salary and generally ok equipment.

Cons1.Incompetent and dishonest, third world style IT management.
2.Politics are more important than the work itself.
3.No transparency.
4.Toxic culture.
5.Constant outsourcing and therefore constant restructure.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign or get basic IT education. Read more books. Learn some basic manners.

Not great, but not bad

Research Analyst (Former Employee)
Hanoi (Vietnam)

I worked at Australia and New Zealand Banking full-time for less than a year

ProsThe reputation (may help you get to other companies easily) - exit opportunities
Network

ConsLong hours
Low pay - almost no bonus
Unfriendly environment
No training
No performance-based promotion
Bad staff treatment

Total disregard for the staff or the customer

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Orange (Australia)

I worked at Australia and New Zealand Banking full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOpportunities for the type of corporate zombie who only wants to get ahead.

ConsAnyone who cares about the customer will find it very dissatisfying, as the focus of the upper management is purely on the profit - or worse still feathering their own nests. This means staff are pressured to sell products to customers who don't need them just to tick boxes, so the upper management can get their promotion within 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about the customer. Start acting ethically. Treat your staff with respect.

Uninspired management, poor decisions, staff are not empowered

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Australia and New Zealand Banking as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsSome clever people
Some good work processes
Great support for diversity

ConsBad management - fearful leaders who are inward looking rather than fearless leaders that are outward facing and who make decisions to advance the organisation and its people. Organisational leadership under the previous CEO was much better.
Processes stifle imagination and creativity and creates inefficiencies.
Soul-less organisation.
Collaboration is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your people
Remove uninspired leaders - some leaders do not have any experiences outside of ANZ and do not know how to operate in a global economy.
Do not outsource your intellectual property to external parties

ANZ Outsources responsibility for quality

I have been working at Australia and New Zealand Banking as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsMy workstation has 2 monitors

ConsANZ has outsourced its testing function, choosing a cheaper option for short term gain.

Worst 5 years of my life

I have been working at Australia and New Zealand Banking for more than 5 years

ProsNone...oh wait...work life balance because noone really puts in any effort and leaves when the clock strikes 5 (or earlier if management isn't around). Compensation was ok at commencement, slightly more than industry average in my field...towards the end, it was way below what I could get elsewhere.

ConsNo development opportunities. Budget for coursework / training was practically non-existent and only went to the suckups. Had to self fund a course required by new industry requirements, which the company should have paid for. Nearly impossible to move out of the area you are hired into and hard to get promoted within same area. Hired for your skills and experience but this is ignored after stepping in the door. A lot of managers resent staff with of knowledge and initiative and treat them like they're incompetent, demoralising them into drones. I previously led a team of 9 for 4 years and had references from former staff but did not get one job as I was seen as having no staff supervision experience because "you haven't done it here". 4/5 of the managers I had over 5 years were sociopaths at worst, apathetic at best. My area's staff satisfaction survey results were always 30-50% over the entire time I worked there and there never were any investigations/ improvements undertaken. No job security. Every day is spent wondering if your area is going to be restructured or offshored again. Performance review / employee ranking is a joke and based on popularity. Don't bother trying to outperform, you will never get the deserved pay rise/bonus unless you suck up, discredit and gossip about your coworkers to senior managers, take credit for other's work, spend your time having "coffee catchups". Career progression must be based on incompetence as I saw many promoted into senior management within months following a huge operational failure instead of getting fired. This spirals into a culture of bullying, complacency and slackerism, not the "high performance" culture they claim to have. Worst place I've ever worked in a 15 year career.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on valuing and developing your staff...they are how you achieve good customer service, superior products, new ideas and the resulting profits. Promote to management based on knowledge and mandatory psychological profiling, not seniority or sucking up. Way too many managers aren't leaders, have no knowledge/experience in the area they are responsible for and should never be allowed to manage people. Implement 360 performance reviews and act on them. Don't accept low staff satisfaction survey results regardless of circumstances. Its an indication something is very wrong if that many staff members are upset enough to give poor ratings! Hold senior management accountable and don't accept excuses without an action plan and follow up on status! Any excuse is due to bad people management, bad decisions, lack of change management skills ... an indication that the people in charge have no management skills! Stop all the retrenchments...you are an Australian company and should be supporting local employees, not making the economy suffer by laying off thousands despite record breaking, multi-billion dollar profits. Try spending this on developing your staff and improving systems instead of worrying about stock price and shareholders. Remember you are a financial services provider and a major employer, not an investment/capital instrument.

False Promises and not very interesting work

Finance Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Australia and New Zealand Banking full-time for more than a year

ProsGood employee benefits and big brand name

ConsIncompetent and overpaid people. Low performance culture

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up your act

There is a lot of scope to do a lot of things but the internal politics makes things terrible.

Human Resources Consultant (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at Australia and New Zealand Banking

ProsNo positive reason I know of.

ConsToo much of politics Unmanageable

Advice to Senior Managementna

Worked for Australia and New Zealand Banking? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Australia and New Zealand Banking reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Australia and New Zealand Banking CEO Michael R. P. Smith. All 179 reviews posted anonymously by Australia and New Zealand Banking employees.