Australian Broadcasting

Updated Jun 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Good Work Life Balance

Web Developer (Current Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsABC has a great culture and work life balance. Another obvious benefit of working for ABC are knowing that you are creating a service that will be used by the Australian population. Work can be highly visible as well.

ConsThe culture is fading as the private sector management style invades the mindsets of middle and upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember why people chose to work for ABC. Keep workers rights and relaxed management style as a top priority.

Bullying led to my resignation -

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsLoved the work and the programme makers. Everyday was interesting and different.

ConsI was bullied out of my position, had meetings with the ABC and my trade union official, who told me that it was a blatant case of bullying by my manager. Sidelined, micro-managed and attempts made by management to divide me from my colleagues. Eventually I had to go onto stress leave and decided that my health was more important than my position so resigned. There appeared to be a management culture of forcing resignations and then filling those positions with their cronies.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey wouldn't take any notice if I gave advice.

Worked with highly skilled, committed broadcasting and media craftspeople, tied down by politics and top heavy structure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people creating extraordinary programs and services to the people of Australia on an absolute shoestring
    Creation and innovation thrives at the lower levels and in the states, regions, and rural stations
    Well loved and trusted brand with a feeling you are contributing to something special
    Salary depends on your job role

ConsTop heavy management structure too busy with politics and divisive power plays
    Siloed structures, behaviours and cultures prevent real collaboration
    Innovation and ideas can be stifled by "outsourcing" mentalities and irrational cost cutting
    If you're not in Sydney, it's very difficult to have a career path (depending on job role)

Advice to Senior ManagementStart working as a team for the good of the whole ABC, not just your "patch"
    Put your staff first and free them up to get on with it
    Walk the Talk
    Put proper whole of organisation business planning in place
    Overhaul and simplify spending decision making processes in line with business plans

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could be great, but held back by bad management

(Current Employee)
    Ultimo (Australia)

ProsInteresting work, lots to do, some great new inovation

ConsNo leadership from management, lots of bullying, lots of promoting of mates with poor qualifications, lots of credit taking from others, low wages unless your in the big boys club, the job plans/ KPI process is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some very sneaking unethical, unprofessional, serpents working within the ranks and abusing their authority on a daily basis. Best you weed them out before all your quality people leave.

Quality journalism and the home of creativity

Chief of Staff and Senior Journalist (Former Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsStrong journalist ethics, sound training and culturally important to Australia

Consshift work, bureaucratic in nature

Advice to Senior Managementpromotions are not always available

Good place to work

Producer (Current Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsPlenty of opportunity to work across different programming

ConsThe pay isn't great but it is a stable work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementResources are being spread too thin to try and create extra programming. Do it well or don't do it at all

Very good

Journalist (Current Employee)
    Melbourne (Australia)

ProsSecure when made permanent.
    Fair workplace
    Plenty of opportunity to move in different directions

ConsCan be difficult to move up bands
    Treats casuals poorly at times

Bulling is institutionalized, they support and in fact promote bullies and manage the Victims out

ABC Open Producer (Former Employee)

ProsThe Job was awesome - loved my work and community so much so that I still continue to work with them

ConsHad to deal with Workplace bulling on a daily basis, online bulling, sabotage of work, threatening behaviour, no support from management, undermining behaviour in public, crazy stuff like equipment super glued to my desk. All of this behaviour was not reprimanded in fact one of the Bullies got a promotions whilst the victim was managed out !!

Advice to Senior ManagementTo repremand, remove and/or rehabilitate the Bullies not promoted them and manage the Victim out

salary and benefits and opportunity

Support Analyst (Former Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

Prosstable workforce similar to public service

Conslow performance increases and low incentive

Advice to Senior Managementuse performance system

Excellent, important work

Sydney (Australia)

ProsPotential for positive impact on the lives of millions of Australians. Caring, innovative culture. Audience comes first, always.

ConsDivisional silos create a culture of political rivalry and risk aversion. It makes it much harder than it should be to get things done - especially new things.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate rewards for collaborating across divisions and taking risks. Otherwise those things won't happen enough.

Worked for Australian Broadcasting? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Australian Broadcasting reviews and ratings. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Australian Broadcasting employees.