I have been working at Australian Bureau of Statistics full-time for more than a year
Pros – - Great working arrangement: reasonable hours, flexible arrangements (public sector generally does this well)
- great people: very supportive, friendly, willing to help & lacking in competitive politics
Cons – - Ridiculous bureaucracy for a medium sized organization: slow decision making
- Management often unwilling to take responsibility for decisions: gets passed up the corporate chain / passing the buck
- Lack of funds and stringent means innovation is difficult / slow
- Technology ahead in some areas like collection methods, security but lagging far behind in others like website & Lotus Notes is a virus that should be promptly inoculated.
- productivity in some teams low: not driven enough
Advice to Senior Management – Maintain current quality standards, less formalized communication channels, more regular discussions, more rapid decision making, less paternal BS: honesty and frankness would be respected.
2012-07-30 20:51 PDT
I worked at Australian Bureau of Statistics
Pros – - Great work environment and colleagues
- Challenging technology and work (dependent on team)
- Exciting work, learning opportunities
- Great culture, work/life balance
- Lots of opportunities to grow professionally and technically
- Excellent Employee reward and recognition scheme
Cons – - Some people you find will take it easy in terms of productivity
- Less pay compared to pvt sector
- Bit of red tape (but depending on who you deal with, its workable)
- Need more open communication from management and bit of strategic leadership.
- Too many things/initiatives never reach completion are delayed or cancelled.
Advice to Senior Management – Open communication
Drive initiatives to completion
Listen to your staff before taking technology decisions
Distribute more people to regional offices to retain staff.
Better pay required especially to retain IT staff
Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend
2010-09-28 05:11 PDT
I have been working at Australian Bureau of Statistics
Pros – Cushy comfortable job. People are very very nice and laidback. There is real diversity, differences in age across the board, etc.
Cons – Slower pace than in corporate. Expect less from you.
Advice to Senior Management – challenge people to work harder and push what they can do
2010-07-23 19:10 PDT
Your feedback has been sent to the team and we'll look into it.
Your response will be removed from the review – this cannot be undone.
Simply post an anonymous review for a current/former employer or recent interview experience. Your post is anonymous – and if you're worried someone will be able to identify your review, you can even post without telling us your job title and location. Learn More.
No thanks –