Author Solutions
www.authorsolutions.com Bloomington, IN 1000 to 5000 Employees

Author Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014
Author Solutions – “Large window from desk”

Andrew Phillips

Good job, not a good career

Senior Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsDaily breakfast, well known parent company, lenient schedule. There's plenty of work to do so you won't be bored. It's in a great town and continues to grow. I've read a lot of the reviews on here and think it's all a matter of perception. There are SEVERAL different departments with so many different characteristics. Managers and staff in the design team are on the other side of the spectrum of the accounting team (as an example). Some departments are better than others. I believe the Accounting dept. Is the red headed step child in this company and last in salary increases, bonuses and upgrades. This is true for a lot of private sectors' accounting depts.. In any department this company is a good one for your resume and a good career if your comfortable in a less than average salaried position with no room to grow; which a lot of people are.

ConsThe people! I feel I am surrounded by the most medicated depressants I have ever seen. Also people who insist on helping themselves but not others; not good team players. Some people are so negative that it can bring you down on your best day. Employees need to leave personal life and business life separate.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can only speak for management in accounting. The majority of management is ok and the new controller seems to be moving everything in the right direction. There is a cancer in accounting that needs removed but I won't mention the title. I believe this persons emotional stance is very weak and should not be in charge of anything important.

Other reviews are misleading... There is no reason to have negative feelings about the company.

Inside Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsPay is adequate- I wouldn't say generous, but profit is the motive of the private sector, after all. I'm in sales and the commissions are UNCAPPED. You probably aren't going to become rich from working here, but some people regularly hit 6 figures. My training was more than adequate. I would even say they OVER trained me, which is clearly more desirable than under-training. The atmosphere here is not negative at all- I have experienced friendly, professional personalities from the employees I've interacted with. There are, admittedly, some negative nancies who simply don't acknowledge the value of the service we offer and the potential of their position. But isn't that life? Some people have a critical outlook no matter the circumstance: publishing is complicated and these negative individuals won't succeed here. They probably won't go very far ANYWHERE. Bottom line- the people here are business oriented, professional, and personable. Most of the negatives described by other employees are attributable to misunderstanding the intention of managers or failure to perceive the bigger picture. Other people are simply whining.

ConsBase pay for sales could be better. But the potential for commissions (did I mention they are UNCAPPED?) is the clear, and in my opinion fair, trade off. Cubicles could be of higher quality and better isolated from sound, but I am nitpicking. Business mimics nature- it is often difficult and imperfect. This business deserves a better reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing comes to mind in terms of advice to management. They are reasonable, motivating, and sometimes annoying. After all, they are HUMAN. Manager annoying you? What a surprise. Stop whining.

Your experience really is what you make it

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCasual work environment, on site food vendors, being part of publishing giant Penguin Random House brings a new set of perks, great benefits with decent prices, above average PTO even from day 1, new management seems to want to really change direction of the company in a positive way. Each department seems to have it's own subset of perks- on the spot awards like gift cards, amusement park or sporting even tix, sales has long hours at the end of the month, but has lunch and dinner catered in plus can do well in commission and bonuses, production teams seem to genuinely enjoy their work and have a team feel. Finance and accounting are finance and accounting. If that's your thing, you'll enjoy it here as well. Lots of changes in the past few years has lead to a lot of turnover, but there are plenty who stick around and have for 5+ years. This year they introduced Sabbaticals for employees who have been there 10+ years- 4 weeks paid in addition to any Personal, Vacation & Sick time. We also have Volunteer Days (2 a year). I've never worked anywhere that offered this and I think it's pretty amazing. If you come to work bitter and watch the clock until quitting time, you won't be happy anywhere. But if you're willing to learn, like what you do, who you're around or look for the positive, it's not a bad place to be. Basically, wherever you go, there you are. If you're an unhappy person, you'll be unhappy here. If you're positive or willing to put yourself into your work, you might just love it. Maybe not everyday- it's a job after all, and there will be things you don't like, but the pros outweigh the cons.

ConsPay is not where it should be. But really it mostly depends on the type of work you're doing. The building needs some love, but it's been rumored that this could happen soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people. Train them well, and more often. Value them and what they bring to the organization. Reevaluate pay scales- for everyone- not just sales. Communicate more often. Take the company from a reactive stance (with everything) to proactive. Some small splurges can mean a lot to employees and create a more positive culture. Offer consistency. Stick to policies and support managers.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Publishing Consultant

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time for less than a year

Proslove talking to authors all day, hearing their ideas...some of which are fabulous.

Consmicro management?? Is there a more intense descriptor for incessant 'metrics' updates, which really are meaningless and a huge time sink, but further, these updates are accompanied by chiding, nasty comments that are demoralizing and are the useless tools of useless and incompetent managers. Noone has any fun, its all frowns and an atmosphere of bullying by mgmt and constant fear of employees makes it a ghastly place to work. Its a shame, it could be a good job if it werent for the toxic environment. Human capitol flies out the door, they cant retain talent because they treat employees with extreme disrespect. Worst employer ive ever had

Advice to Senior Managementhire managers with people skills immediately. Treat employeees with respect. Stop changing compensation from hire date to first paycheck. Youre stealing!

Good entry level position...not worth investing in long term

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Author Solutions full-time

ProsVery casual work environment, free breakfast-food items in the morning, nice co-workers, birthday parties monthly....

ConsLow pay, stressful daily quotas, rude clients, not enough training. The website describes my previous position as being an industry expert...Not the case at all. A lot of the people working do not have college degrees and have absolutely no training in the publishing industry. Training consists mostly of job shadowing, which doesn't really prepare you for the bizarre and detailed questions from clients. I had been all but called stupid by a couple of clients because I wasn't able to answer questions that I should have known the answers to....because I wasn't properly trained and really didn't know the answers. Not a lot of room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training in terms of the publishing industry. If you're going to advertise employees as industry experts, make sure they actually are. Make sure employees are prepared to deal with the bizarre questions received by authors. Train sales to better understand the check-in coordinator role, and train them not to stretch the truth of the services because it causes problems later. Better prepare authors for what they can actually expect instead of making things sound magical, and then when they actually get into the process, they get something less appealing.

HR is shady

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsGood on resume, nice people to work with, decent benefits

ConsUnderpaid employees and mgmt brags about this, HR policies change without notification to employees, services promised to customers are scams

Advice to Senior ManagementCatch up to the times with pay and salary and live up to promises made in policies

Freelance Editor

Freelance Book Editor (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions as a contractor for more than a year

ProsIt's nice to have the freedom to work from home

ConsDepending on the book length, and the time it takes you to finish, you may end up working for less than minimum wage. The fee for a book is flat, and once you accept it, it's in your best interest to finish ASAP. Also: the reviewing editors love to quote rules, but stylistically they're not always right.Good luck winning those discussions! At the end of the day, most books aren't just bad, they're painful to read.books aren't just t

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your freelance editors, because they're the ones on the front lines once a book is submitted by an author.

Bad timing...perhaps. Was in process of many internal changes.

Publishing Consultant (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsWarm leads, for the most part. Good job for writers/authors & English majors. Hopefully, the recent merger brings positive actions.

ConsVery low salary, pay scale not appropriate. There was absolutely no training, & constant change to products & company. This leads to high employee turnover, & can contibute to negative environment. Most/many services are provided by 3rd party, thus answering customers question can be tricky. Many "deals" lost once client is out of your hands (working with other departments). Usual amount of corporate politics. Could go on, simply see other reviews...

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salary, improve commission schedule, & provide thorough training. Top down change need to occur with honest & open communication/feedback from bottom up & from writers/authors.

Rewarding Experience

Senior Marketing Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Author Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA wealth of knowledge about the publishing industry is at your fingertips

ConsGrowth opportunities were slight and when proposed were not followed through

Done on the cheap

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Author Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsThey made attempts to stay current on technology

ConsEverything at ASI was about cost cutting. Even getting office supplies was a hassle. Regular weekend work was expected.

Worked for Author Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Author Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Author Solutions CEO Andrew Phillips. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Author Solutions employees.