Author Solutions

Updated September 18, 2014
2.9

Author Solutions CEO Andrew Phillips
Andrew Phillips

Very happy with Author Solutions!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

We have the best benefits with extremely low premiums eligible from your first day or employment. The environment is upbeat most of the time and most people are encouraging. We also have generous time off policies and holidays. Since coming to Author Solutions I've been given the opportunity to work in multiple functions within my department. I personally find that most of the managers allow a fairly generous work-life balance. If you're a good employee who is willing to work hard you will advance and grow and you will be given more opportunities and flexibility. The CEO is extremely down to earth and friendly. He takes pride in his relationships and perception by employees. The CEO is also making some much needed changes not only in business aspects but also in building, appearance and reputation.

Cons

There are very few negatives to working at Author Solutions. In general I believe that comparative to the market a lot of positions are slightly underpaid, however, I believe this can be offset by the great benefits at such a low cost. I think there could be some additional employee appreciation type of perks/awards to help improve employee attitude and work ethic.

The best advice I could give to management is to be sure to focus on the employee work and not personal opinions of them. Work to encourage your employees or use constructive criticism versus using too much negativity. Also, work to prepare employees for advancement instead of focusing on how to keep them in one position for ease. Always be sure that your employees see only your positive opinions of the company and things that are happening as not to poison employee opinions or attitudes.

Hard to recommend

Former Employee - Publising Consultant  in  Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Publising Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers. The work is difficult, but you do bond over it.

Benefits are the one thing that has improved over the years. You could do worse for a first job. Every ten years you work there you get a 1-month paid sabbatical.

Lower and mid level managers do their best to make things bearable.

Lots of overtime, if you consider that a plus.

In theory, you work for Penguin Random House, which is kind of neat.

The CEO, Andrew Philips, is fairly new. He seems to be a decent human being (there was much rejoicing when he gave employees December 26th off for the first time), and there was a lot of hope that he'd turn things around when I left. He's probably the company's best chance to survive.

Cons

Author Solutions is a company more interesting in not spending money than making it. The result is a company with low pay ($10-$12 for most positions), astronomical turnover (upwards of 50% annually in some departments), poorly-maintained facilities, and obsolete technology (WIndows XP is still used by much of the company). Departments are constantly hiring, but they rarely get bigger--the hiring is just to replace employees who have left. Spending a year or two at the company practically makes you an oldtimer.

Although raises are annual, they're generally under $0.50 an hour. The company determines them without your input and will not negotiate, so you're out of luck if you've worked hard and want to make a case that you added more value than a quarter an hour. You get what they choose to give you, no more. This sends a powerful message to employees, and it's a big reason why turnover is high.

Despite what some reviewers have posted, advancement opportunities are rare in my experience. Managers get promoted from time to time, but nobody gets their old job. They just have to handle new responsibilities in addition to their old ones, so they work gruelling hours for not much pay or gratitude from the company. They don't have much authority to run their departments, but the company asks a lot of them anyway.

Work-life balance isn't great. Workloads are very heavy, and overtime is frequent. Expect to work hard for that $10/hour. In addition, expect to spend a lot of time training replacement employees.

Author Solutions simply fails to meet the industry standard of professionalism, and that needs to change. Recognize that employees are not fungible and deserve some input on their compensation. Remember--you're competing against companies that do.

Couldn't wait to leave!

I worked at Author Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Author Solutions is great for someone starting out of school with no real work experience (being based in Bloomington, IN, they offer jobs to a lot of young IU grads). You'll get a lot of hands-on work experience in a lot of areas that you can apply to jobs in the future (we used to call it "ASI boot camp"). There's a lot of young, fun, friendly coworkers you'd work with. A lot of my peers ended up getting awesome jobs coming out, just because of work experience and connections formed on the job.

Cons

Turnover is high, which makes it difficult on everyone who remains (instead of hiring in the past, they would just add another person's workload to yours). The workload is high, with little work-life balance or incentives. The pay is not a livable wage for the two office locations (Bloomington and Indy). The entire focus is on sales rather than delivering quality services, with little focus on employees. We were actually told by the CEO at the time during a roundtable that if we didn't like the pay or office conditions, he didn't care if we left. It's more a factory mentality than what a "real" publishing house would be. I still have PTSD from working there!

I've heard that the CEO and some senior management has changed since I worked there, but I would say to stop adding products and services as part as a growth mentality, and consider how to improve the quality of products and services you offer. You are well past the growth phase as a business...and you're losing money on the turnover, so invest in your employees well-being and communication.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Author Solutions Takes Care of You!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic insurance benefits. The people are smart and enjoyable to work with. Management encourages you to develop your skill and prepares you for advancement. Many social functions, both on site and off, throughout the course of the year. Generous trips, dinners and awards given for excellent job performance. My child's school recently had a fundraising event that the company was even willing to donate to! Throughout my tenure here I know of other instances of the company, and even individuals on the Executive level, being willing to donate to employees who have experienced personal tragedy.

Training is excellent, two full weeks after hiring, and is continued during the first 6 months of employment with continued education and learning opportunity afterward. On a daily basis, having the opportunity to speak with so many diverse types of people who are pursuing publication is a tremendous learning experience. All in all, it is rewarding to be part of a company that touches so many lives and helps so many people accomplish their goals of publication.

Cons

The common thing i see with the negative reviews here are that the employees spent little time at the company. I have been here for 4 years and the people that I have seen come and go simply did not fulfill the expectations of the job position they were in. I do my job well, I work hard, and I am rewarded accordingly!

Continue with periodic update/town hall meetings to keep employees informed of growth, progress, and changes.

One of the best employers in Central/Southern Indiana

Current Employee - Publishing Consultant  in  Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Owned by Penguin Random House, this employer takes care of it's employees. The starting pay is aggressive plus the added bonuses and commissions can triple or quad triple your annual earnings here. There is no ceiling on what you earn. Health benefits are stellar and most likely the best in the country. Just after a year with the company, an employee can earn over a month of vacation/personal time/sick time. After 10 years, the company grants a one month paid sabbatical on top of a full four weeks vacation. I've been with this company for over 10 years and have advanced in annual earnings each year. The position of Publishing Consultant is inspiring and rewarding. The secret of a successful career at Author Solutions is dedication, hard work, honesty and integrity.

Cons

The cons are minimum. The Sales and Marketing positions at Author Solutions are not for everyone. The growth of this company is massive which can sometimes lead to hiring the wrong individuals for a position. This is a fast paced, high growth and earnings company. I've worked with some of the former employees that have reviewed this company in a negative light and can honestly say that they simply were not cut out for this environment. Although this is a sales position, it requires a level of intelligence and an understanding of the publishing business, all which is taught on the job. The products and services offered by Author Solutions are targeted to each individual client. The former employees that left Author Solutions on a bad note were simply unable to grasp this concept or lost patience in the process of learning.

Continue to challenge and reward employees. We have some of the best career minded, hard working people in Indiana as part of our family in Bloomington and Indianapolis.

Terrible. Unethical. Encouraged to lie to customers.

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant  in  Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

There was absolutely zero pros about working here.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals. Extremely high turnover rate. Super unethical. Lie to their authors. Almost zero vacation days. Was told we could come in on Christmas Eve "if we wanted to..."

Their marketing services are awful. If you do sell marketing to a customer, then they'll be angry by the time the service is up or the product is delivered because they realize it did absolutely nothing for them.

Get on some sales calls and listen to actual authors who know this company is a huge scam. Invest in some marketing that's actually going to do something. Don't encourage your staff to lie.

Ever changing!

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CEO; Working hours; the people; locations; flexible

Cons

COO; Ridiculously low pay (exept for upper management and IT); no room for growth in some departments; building is not taken care of very well

If some Senior Management was changed around here, things would be much better. Realize that the "little" people do the work, so ask them the best way, instead of taking it upon yourself to say how it goes, when you don't do the work. Think more about your employees! Treat them right and they will make you money.

Good job, not a good career

Current Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Daily breakfast, well known parent company, lenient schedule. There's plenty of work to do so you won't be bored. It's in a great town and continues to grow. I've read a lot of the reviews on here and think it's all a matter of perception. There are SEVERAL different departments with so many different characteristics. Managers and staff in the design team are on the other side of the spectrum of the accounting team (as an example). Some departments are better than others. I believe the Accounting dept. Is the red headed step child in this company and last in salary increases, bonuses and upgrades. This is true for a lot of private sectors' accounting depts.. In any department this company is a good one for your resume and a good career if your comfortable in a less than average salaried position with no room to grow; which a lot of people are.

Cons

The people! I feel I am surrounded by the most medicated depressants I have ever seen. Also people who insist on helping themselves but not others; not good team players. Some people are so negative that it can bring you down on your best day. Employees need to leave personal life and business life separate.

I can only speak for management in accounting. The majority of management is ok and the new controller seems to be moving everything in the right direction. There is a cancer in accounting that needs removed but I won't mention the title. I believe this persons emotional stance is very weak and should not be in charge of anything important.

A place to start...and leave as soon as you can

Former Employee - Social Media Specialist  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Social Media Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met some of my closets friends here and was able to be a part of Penguin Random House publishing, which was an awesome experience.

Cons

Very poor pay if you're not management or IT; deceptive sales practices/unrealistic expectations set for customers. No room for growth and little is invested in employees.

Better pay and more opportunities for continuing education. If you claim to be the leader in Indie Publishing, allow your employees to deliver quality products the Indie way.

Other reviews are misleading... There is no reason to have negative feelings about the company.

Current Employee - Inside Sales  in  Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is adequate- I wouldn't say generous, but profit is the motive of the private sector, after all. I'm in sales and the commissions are UNCAPPED. You probably aren't going to become rich from working here, but some people regularly hit 6 figures. My training was more than adequate. I would even say they OVER trained me, which is clearly more desirable than under-training. The atmosphere here is not negative at all- I have experienced friendly, professional personalities from the employees I've interacted with. There are, admittedly, some negative nancies who simply don't acknowledge the value of the service we offer and the potential of their position. But isn't that life? Some people have a critical outlook no matter the circumstance: publishing is complicated and these negative individuals won't succeed here. They probably won't go very far ANYWHERE. Bottom line- the people here are business oriented, professional, and personable. Most of the negatives described by other employees are attributable to misunderstanding the intention of managers or failure to perceive the bigger picture. Other people are simply whining.

Cons

Base pay for sales could be better. But the potential for commissions (did I mention they are UNCAPPED?) is the clear, and in my opinion fair, trade off. Cubicles could be of higher quality and better isolated from sound, but I am nitpicking. Business mimics nature- it is often difficult and imperfect. This business deserves a better reputation.

Nothing comes to mind in terms of advice to management. They are reasonable, motivating, and sometimes annoying. After all, they are HUMAN. Manager annoying you? What a surprise. Stop whining.

Worked for Author Solutions? Contribute to the Community!