Author Solutions

Updated January 29, 2015
3.3

Author Solutions CEO Andrew Phillips
Andrew Phillips

Pros
  • Decent Pay, Great Benefits from Penguin Random House (in 7 reviews)

• The best reason to work at Author Solutions is that it is a better than decent springboard into the world of publishing (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The result is a company with low pay ( (in 6 reviews)

• There was absolutely no training, & constant change to products & company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Love being part of the AS LLC family. great place to work. Good Management. Been here long enough to see a lot of changes

Cons

I don't really have anything bad to say. Good place to work. the work area could be a little cleaner but work with what you got

Not a bad place to work but not a career

I have been working at Author Solutions

Pros

Wonderful co-workers there are people who really care about the Authors and attempt to do the right things for them. Benefits are great. Pay is not unless you are a high level sales person

Cons

HR is a joke- they rarely get pay correct, they spend little time working with employees, they are more interested in meeting some magic head count number than getting in good people

Top level sales people are treated well - as long as they remain top level, have even one bad month and you can be written up.

encouraged to tell the customer what they want to hear to make a sale and let everything else be someone else's problem.

Treat people better, set realistic goals, pay fairly and stop changing pay structure on a whim

Low pay, even worse management...HR is the only silver lining

Current Employee - Writer in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Writer in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time

Pros

Office culture is laid-back, very casual dress code, free breakfast (granola bars, fruit) every morning, affordable on-site lunch vendors almost daily and with great variety, time off is generous for first-timers and seasoned vets of the company.

Cons

Poor management that verges on the incompetent.

Supervisors regularly bully and/or lie to their employees regarding company/departmental policies and changes to protocol. Most of the time, supervisors don't know the correct company policies themselves, so they make up situational rules for each employee on a case-by-case basis. NO ONE is treated equally or fairly.

No opportunities for advancement or growth in a career path, so stagnation and complacency is rampant.

Absurdly low pay for workload and expectations of the job.

CEO has huge plans to grow by at least 25-30% each year in terms of revenue (revenue hasn't been up in a full two years, it's been down by 3-5% every six months when he comes to rally the troops in Bloomington).

Work is completed without regard to quality, standards or consistency, so all the training or expertise new hires have to offer is thrown out the window in favor of "this is how we've always done it, even if it's wrong/subpar".

"Say-one-thing, do-another" attitude by managers who let authors run wild with demands, pushing those demands off on production staff and demanding lightning-fast turnaround that hinders work quality and hurts overall morale.

Managers fulfill clients' every wish, even if it makes the company look like a hack-job joke.

Supervisors routinely pick favorites; they offer promotions to entire teams, but shadily and secretly groom certain teacher's pets without giving others a chance to vie for "once-in-a-career", highly coveted advancement/new position opportunities.

Rude, moody, negative environment brought on by certain manager in marketing, to the point where multiple employees complained and nothing was done about it.

Open door policy is a joke, managers will listen to your concerns, then tell you the "job isn't for everyone"; blaming the job instead of the atmosphere or direct supervisors' behavior for downtrodden and unfulfilled employees.

Any concerns raised to supervisors/upper management are taken as threats or hostile behavior. To get anything done or have your voice heard, you have to approach and talk to HR. They are the only great thing about this company, unfortunately.

Bosses and supervisors rarely show up to work on time or at all ("working from home" is the norm for some, often taking multiple days each week out of the office), but hound *salaried* employees to report what time they made it in to the office, even requiring some employees to email when they arrive in the mornings. If an email is sent after a certain window of time, that employee gets chewed out and written up without warning, often months after the incident occurred when nothing was immediately said. Very low levels of trust and respect for employees who want to work and do a good job each day.

Salaried employees in the writing department are soon being transitioned into hourly employees = ENORMOUS morale suck and case for worry for most of the team.

Allow employees to review managers, just as managers review their employees. Some interesting things will appear.
    Re-evaluate your hiring decisions and pay attention to supervisors who have had multiple complaints and concerns taken up with HR and DO SOMETHING about them.
    The little people matter and they are being run into the ground.
    Stop projecting lofty goals that won't be attained; you're already a top self-publisher, there isn't much of anywhere to go from there.
    Enforce standards and stop catering to baby-boomers, fanatical religious zealots, bogus Reiki masters/healers/"spirit channelers" and senile elders who don't know what they're getting into.
    Attract a more upscale and reputable clientele (we are owned by Penguin-Random House, after all!)

Counter Productive Management

Former Employee - Book Consultant in Crescent Springs, Kenton, KY
    Former Employee - Book Consultant in Crescent Springs, Kenton, KY

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work with many interesting clients and co-workers. A great stepping stone for a sales career.

Cons

Marketing department constantly angers clients with false information to make the sale, management makes outrageous demands with sales figures, no actual training, thrown to the wolves day one, if you don't hit your projected sales figures they begin to "punish" you by taking away leads and then tell you to step up, management "cherry-picks" potential big orders to line their own pockets with commission rather than help out their "team".

Never allow your office management to collect commission. Revise your pay structure. Hire management WITH actual sales experience for the sales floor (sales with sales and c.s. with c.s.).

Great place to begin your career with great opportunity for career growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management grooms employees so they can move up in the company. With Penguin Random House as our parent company, the possibilities are endless!

Cons

Compensation is not the best, but is getting better and has improved a lot over the years.

Increase salaries and you will definitely improve employee morale, plus attract more experienced talent who will want to stay more than a year and will make a career out of working there.

Good entry level job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Always busy, always new authors to work with, great career steping stone

Cons

Poor communication between team members

Awesome Place to Work

Current Employee - Social Media/PR Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Social Media/PR Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay, Great Benefits from Penguin Random House!
    Office is pretty casual.

Cons

Don't really have anything bad to say.

Getting better all the time!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Benefits are par to none! You just can't get any better!
    * The new CEO is incredible! Just what the company needed. He cares and
       is friendly and outgoing with employees. His door is always open! He is in
       the process of making some remarkable changes, including giving the
       Bloomington headquarters a much needed facelift - a complete remodel!
    * Training is being revamped and will improve turnover, I'm quite sure.

Cons

Compensation is currently below average, unless you're in IT or at Executive level. However, I believe this will eventually turn around now that we have a new CEO that cares about his employees.

The COO needs to retire, or be fired! He's cheap and refuses to spend any money to make things run more effectively and efficiently. I like him as a person, but frankly, he doesn't care about employees...only the bottom line. Guess maybe that is his job...but, still, it wouldn't hurt to show a little compassion every now and then. Reward your employees. Most work hard!

Recognize and care about ALL employees, not just sales and IT. The "peons" of the company who have more of a transactional or customer service type role work just as hard as the sales people do, though their labor/performance isn't measured by the money they bring into the company. Yes, it's true, without sales, no one would have a job...but there would be no satisfied and returning customers without great customer service and dedicated employees working hard to meet author needs. All employees are contributors. All positions are vital and play a key role to making the company successful. Bottom line...Reward accordingly!

Fast paced, exciting environment with good working culture

I have been working at Author Solutions

Pros

The environment is fast paced and exciting. I learn something new everyday. The team culture is great and is very supportive. There is a lot of cross-training and so you are constantly learning. The hours are very flexible and the management is good at accommodating requested time off. There is a lot of constructive communication that happens between the teams and the managers as well.

Cons

Sometimes, the required work may sometimes be slightly more than 40 hours per week but that is not always required and is dependent on how much you are comfortable working.

It's not horrible but not the best either.

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked here a number of years and have considered leaving a few times, however when our benefits became outstanding (through being purchased by Penguin and then merger of Penguin Random House) it was the thing that kept me hanging on. I like having a flexible schedule and a supervisor who cares enough but isn't looking over my shoulder every 2 seconds. I have never pursued any promotions because I feel like the job that I am currently doing best fits me.

Cons

I work in a very underestimated department. We do a lot of work that no one knows about or understands. We don't get rewarded like some of the other departments in the company and are never recognized for Employee of the Month, although we sometimes do twice the amt of work that other departments might do. It's not necessarily a con, but it would be nice to be recognized as a valued employee, rather than $$ you produce - which unfortunately is what they base EOM and other rewards on. We have no help, training, information yet month after month get a lot more done than the resources we have allow. I hate that our computer systems are very out of date and that the IT dept acts like you are a burden if you need help. Communication is extremely poor and it seems like everyone likes pointing the finger at the next guy when something goes wrong. There also seems to be way too many "chiefs and not enough Indians" meaning there are tons of managers and very little actual employees so the ego's get a little out of hand sometimes. As a woman, I have felt on numerous occasions that my work and thoughts don't matter as much as the male employee. I also feel like some of the male employees get away with being rude and degrading and jerky but if I were to say something similar I would have been written up in an instant.

There needs to be more communication. Also, please value every employee. Do not base their performance solely on how much money they make the company. Someone could work their tail off for the company but not bring in as much money. Don't look at one employee and brag about how they bring in X amount of dollars each month (although they are degrading and rude) when you, yourself have consistently done so for 3 times the years that employee has worked here. Also, please quit making women feel not as important.