Author Solutions Reviews

Reset
3.4
Author Solutions CEO Andrew Phillips
Andrew Phillips

Pros
  • With Penguin Random House as our parent company, the possibilities are endless (in 7 reviews)

• In theory, you work for Penguin Random House, which is kind of neat (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The result is a company with low pay ( (in 6 reviews)

• There was absolutely no training, & constant change to products & company (in 6 reviews)

1. Low pay commesurate with expectations

Current Employee - Writer in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Writer in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Up front about expectations, very direct supervisor. Pay isn't great but seems to be in line with the level of responsibility of the position. Great health benefits at low-ish cost, great amount of paid time off, 401k matching after attaining certain amount of seniority.

Cons

The pay isn't great. Supervisor tends to micromanage.

2. IT Resource

Former Employee - Tech in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Tech in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They were very focused on the bottom line even at the cost of integrity and character.

Cons

Employees were treated like commodities and they quickly burned through their reputation in each town they operated in.

Advice to Management

N/A

The Execs suck

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellettsville, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellettsville, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, the hours are generally flexible to a degree.

Cons

Executive team would rather watch everyone struggle than hire new employees to fill voids. Which makes people have to manage more accounts, which makes them get frustrated, which makes them quit - leading to even more work for everyone else - because the executive team wont spend a dime to make things better for the employees.

5. Embarrassing management.

Former Employee - Marketing in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay can be good if the service fulfillment would hold up their end. Also management is busy flirting with women so they're generally clueless about what you're doing.

Cons

Your suggestions are not taken seriously. If you're not in the in-crowd, no reason to speak up. Lunch hour is basically, "hey, who wants to go get half-drunk?" I'm sure if HR wanted, they could fire a handful of people each day for being drunk on the job. A certain manager was hardly ever there and focused their time on one "specific" employee. Everyone there knew what was going on, including HR but of course nothing was done about it.

Advice to Management

If we are going to be managed by trashy people, expect us to occasionally have trashy months. Everything is not always on the lowly sales reps. Your current management, from what I hear from current employees, is really bad. They don't do the immoral things my manager did, but at least he could teach sales. The word is that current management is just stupid and offers no valuable sales advice. Glad I'm out of there since I hear it's gotten much worse. Advice is fix this since most of your top performers have left the company.

6. Good, not headed towards great...

Current Employee - Tech in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Tech in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a subsidiary of Penguin Random House (ultimately Bertlesman), the benefits are great - including perks like a 4 week paid "sabbatical" on your 10th anniversary, company paid disability coverage & life insurance. Overtime is seldom required.

Cons

Office interior is not impressive, however a facelift is underway first in Bloomington that should make the facilities at least solid.

Advice to Management

Direction of the company and priorities seems reactive rather than proactive, and some executives (VP or higher - predominantly males) come off as aloof and overbearing. This can create a stifling environment.

7. If you can sell well and network well, you'll make money; if not, you won't.

Current Employee - Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Publishing Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

--Potential to make good money is extremely high for people without proven sales records or experience
    --Some great managers left after ridding themselves of the not-so-great ones
    --If you produce you are left alone
    --Benefits are amazing
    --Some awesome people work there

Cons

--You're not selling anything of much value and the amount of authors who are actually satisfied with their experience is astoundingly minuscule (it is a volume business and the promise of "one-on-one author support" is never delivered upon)
    --Lack of proper communication between various departments causes both internal and external problems
    --They may change the comp plan on you within a year's time (as this has historically been the case--although at the moment, it is better than adequate)
    --End of month overtime can be a drain (you may work until 8 p.m. on some nights)

Advice to Management

--Stop hiring so many consultants and focus on those you have
    --Hire quality salespeople, train them well, and keep them
    --Fulfillment is a mess, and as a result you're constantly battling refunds and bad press. You might lose this game in the end if you don't adapt accordingly
    --I wouldn't have been in middle-management if you'd begged me; so I suppose my advice to upper management would be to take a serious look at your pay structures and be open to change. The ship is large but it can turn.

8. Love Working at Author Solutions

I have been working at Author Solutions

Pros

Author Solutions is a great place to work. The benefits are good and the employee's are awesome to work with.

Cons

The only con would be the salary. Author Solutions should do a salary comparison study and adjust salaries so they are comparable to similar positions in the area.

Advice to Management

Employee's who are appreciated for what they do and compensated for what they are worth are more likely to stay at a company rather than look elsewhere for better pay.

great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love being part of the AS LLC family. great place to work. Good Management. Been here long enough to see a lot of changes

Cons

I don't really have anything bad to say. Good place to work. the work area could be a little cleaner but work with what you got

10. Things are really shaping up! I see a very bright future ahead. New management training program coming! Great benefits!

I have been working at Author Solutions

Pros

Benefits are outstanding. The people are awesome. Laid back, casual atmosphere. HR really cares and they try to help employees. Flexible scheduling. Presidents trip open to everyone, not just sales. Generous paid time off.

Cons

Pay grades are a little on the low side, but are getting better.

Advice to Management

Employee morale...don't overlook the little people. They matter too. Be encouraging, supportive, and empathetic to everyone. Treat your employees equally across the board. Don't play favorites. You'll see a definite improvement in attitude and performance.
    Executives: Reassess the pay scales of positions. Many are below average. Be fair and show you care.

11. Great Career Choice!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+I feel like the work I do is appreciated and that my supervisor/director respect me as an employee and encourage my career growth.
    + Great work is regularly recognized and awarded with prizes, quarterly dinner/awards ceremonies and yearly trips.
    + Education reimbursement program.
    (Plus, little things like free breakfast in the morning and lunch vendors nearly every day for those who chose to stay in the building.)

Cons

- The building is lacking cosmetically, but we've been promised renovation is on the horizon!

RSS Feed </> Embed