Author Solutions

Updated December 18, 2014
3.7

Author Solutions CEO Andrew Phillips
Andrew Phillips

Pros
  • Decent Pay, Great Benefits from Penguin Random House (in 7 reviews)

• The best reason to work at Author Solutions is that it is a better than decent springboard into the world of publishing (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The result is a company with low pay ( (in 6 reviews)

• There was absolutely no training, & constant change to products & company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to begin your career with great opportunity for career growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management grooms employees so they can move up in the company. With Penguin Random House as our parent company, the possibilities are endless!

Cons

Compensation is not the best, but is getting better and has improved a lot over the years.

Increase salaries and you will definitely improve employee morale, plus attract more experienced talent who will want to stay more than a year and will make a career out of working there.

Counter Productive Management

Former Employee - Book Consultant in Crescent Springs, Kenton, KY
    Former Employee - Book Consultant in Crescent Springs, Kenton, KY

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work with many interesting clients and co-workers. A great stepping stone for a sales career.

Cons

Marketing department constantly angers clients with false information to make the sale, management makes outrageous demands with sales figures, no actual training, thrown to the wolves day one, if you don't hit your projected sales figures they begin to "punish" you by taking away leads and then tell you to step up, management "cherry-picks" potential big orders to line their own pockets with commission rather than help out their "team".

Never allow your office management to collect commission. Revise your pay structure. Hire management WITH actual sales experience for the sales floor (sales with sales and c.s. with c.s.).

Awesome Place to Work

Current Employee - Social Media/PR Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Social Media/PR Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent Pay, Great Benefits from Penguin Random House!
    Office is pretty casual.

Cons

Don't really have anything bad to say.

Getting better all the time!!

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Benefits are par to none! You just can't get any better!
    * The new CEO is incredible! Just what the company needed. He cares and
       is friendly and outgoing with employees. His door is always open! He is in
       the process of making some remarkable changes, including giving the
       Bloomington headquarters a much needed facelift - a complete remodel!
    * Training is being revamped and will improve turnover, I'm quite sure.

Cons

Compensation is currently below average, unless you're in IT or at Executive level. However, I believe this will eventually turn around now that we have a new CEO that cares about his employees.

The COO needs to retire, or be fired! He's cheap and refuses to spend any money to make things run more effectively and efficiently. I like him as a person, but frankly, he doesn't care about employees...only the bottom line. Guess maybe that is his job...but, still, it wouldn't hurt to show a little compassion every now and then. Reward your employees. Most work hard!

Recognize and care about ALL employees, not just sales and IT. The "peons" of the company who have more of a transactional or customer service type role work just as hard as the sales people do, though their labor/performance isn't measured by the money they bring into the company. Yes, it's true, without sales, no one would have a job...but there would be no satisfied and returning customers without great customer service and dedicated employees working hard to meet author needs. All employees are contributors. All positions are vital and play a key role to making the company successful. Bottom line...Reward accordingly!

Fast paced, exciting environment with good working culture

I have been working at Author Solutions

Pros

The environment is fast paced and exciting. I learn something new everyday. The team culture is great and is very supportive. There is a lot of cross-training and so you are constantly learning. The hours are very flexible and the management is good at accommodating requested time off. There is a lot of constructive communication that happens between the teams and the managers as well.

Cons

Sometimes, the required work may sometimes be slightly more than 40 hours per week but that is not always required and is dependent on how much you are comfortable working.

Good entry level job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Always busy, always new authors to work with, great career steping stone

Cons

Poor communication between team members

It's not horrible but not the best either.

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked here a number of years and have considered leaving a few times, however when our benefits became outstanding (through being purchased by Penguin and then merger of Penguin Random House) it was the thing that kept me hanging on. I like having a flexible schedule and a supervisor who cares enough but isn't looking over my shoulder every 2 seconds. I have never pursued any promotions because I feel like the job that I am currently doing best fits me.

Cons

I work in a very underestimated department. We do a lot of work that no one knows about or understands. We don't get rewarded like some of the other departments in the company and are never recognized for Employee of the Month, although we sometimes do twice the amt of work that other departments might do. It's not necessarily a con, but it would be nice to be recognized as a valued employee, rather than $$ you produce - which unfortunately is what they base EOM and other rewards on. We have no help, training, information yet month after month get a lot more done than the resources we have allow. I hate that our computer systems are very out of date and that the IT dept acts like you are a burden if you need help. Communication is extremely poor and it seems like everyone likes pointing the finger at the next guy when something goes wrong. There also seems to be way too many "chiefs and not enough Indians" meaning there are tons of managers and very little actual employees so the ego's get a little out of hand sometimes. As a woman, I have felt on numerous occasions that my work and thoughts don't matter as much as the male employee. I also feel like some of the male employees get away with being rude and degrading and jerky but if I were to say something similar I would have been written up in an instant.

There needs to be more communication. Also, please value every employee. Do not base their performance solely on how much money they make the company. Someone could work their tail off for the company but not bring in as much money. Don't look at one employee and brag about how they bring in X amount of dollars each month (although they are degrading and rude) when you, yourself have consistently done so for 3 times the years that employee has worked here. Also, please quit making women feel not as important.

Cons outweigh Pros

Former Employee - Publishing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Publishing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits. They provide breakfast, lunch, and dinner the last day of the month. Sometimes they will have contests/spiffs on the sales floor to help motivate employees. Constantly hiring. Easy to get the job.

A few of the employees are truly wonderful. Denise Benefiel knows the company inside and out. George Nedeff is simply a genius. Kim West is what you need to look for in every single job seeker. Terry Johnson helps people there keep a positive mentality.

Cons

Little to no training. Completely micromanaged. Crazy long hours like 9-8 the last day of the month. Dedicating the last Saturday of the month to working. Even though it was not "mandatory" it certainly was looked down upon. Every employee was miserable while working there. Complained about the environment.

They do not treat all employees the same. A few are favored which results in better deals to close. Taking time off is nearly impossible. They make you feel guilty, as if you shouldn't take it at all. HUGE turnover! Not an ideal environment to work in. The culture is depressing.

There is no room to growth within the company so people don't last. The Customer Service Department, Accounting Department, and Production is all done in Cebu. Large disconnect between the offices.

Move it all over to the US. Treat your employees better. The few that you still have there, are not happy. Take time to listen to their suggestions, concerns, and questions. These employees are the heart of your company and work so hard to barely make goal each month. Reward them!

The culture needs to change. Employees need to feel wanted and needed. They have personal lives outside of work so understand that.

Very happy with Author Solutions!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Author Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We have the best benefits with extremely low premiums eligible from your first day or employment. The environment is upbeat most of the time and most people are encouraging. We also have generous time off policies and holidays. Since coming to Author Solutions I've been given the opportunity to work in multiple functions within my department. I personally find that most of the managers allow a fairly generous work-life balance. If you're a good employee who is willing to work hard you will advance and grow and you will be given more opportunities and flexibility. The CEO is extremely down to earth and friendly. He takes pride in his relationships and perception by employees. The CEO is also making some much needed changes not only in business aspects but also in building, appearance and reputation.

Cons

There are very few negatives to working at Author Solutions. In general I believe that comparative to the market a lot of positions are slightly underpaid, however, I believe this can be offset by the great benefits at such a low cost. I think there could be some additional employee appreciation type of perks/awards to help improve employee attitude and work ethic.

The best advice I could give to management is to be sure to focus on the employee work and not personal opinions of them. Work to encourage your employees or use constructive criticism versus using too much negativity. Also, work to prepare employees for advancement instead of focusing on how to keep them in one position for ease. Always be sure that your employees see only your positive opinions of the company and things that are happening as not to poison employee opinions or attitudes.

Hard to recommend

Former Employee - Publising Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Publising Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Author Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. The work is difficult, but you do bond over it.

Benefits are the one thing that has improved over the years. You could do worse for a first job. Every ten years you work there you get a 1-month paid sabbatical.

Lower and mid level managers do their best to make things bearable.

Lots of overtime, if you consider that a plus.

In theory, you work for Penguin Random House, which is kind of neat.

The CEO, Andrew Philips, is fairly new. He seems to be a decent human being (there was much rejoicing when he gave employees December 26th off for the first time), and there was a lot of hope that he'd turn things around when I left. He's probably the company's best chance to survive.

Cons

Author Solutions is a company more interesting in not spending money than making it. The result is a company with low pay ($10-$12 for most positions), astronomical turnover (upwards of 50% annually in some departments), poorly-maintained facilities, and obsolete technology (WIndows XP is still used by much of the company). Departments are constantly hiring, but they rarely get bigger--the hiring is just to replace employees who have left. Spending a year or two at the company practically makes you an oldtimer.

Although raises are annual, they're generally under $0.50 an hour. The company determines them without your input and will not negotiate, so you're out of luck if you've worked hard and want to make a case that you added more value than a quarter an hour. You get what they choose to give you, no more. This sends a powerful message to employees, and it's a big reason why turnover is high.

Despite what some reviewers have posted, advancement opportunities are rare in my experience. Managers get promoted from time to time, but nobody gets their old job. They just have to handle new responsibilities in addition to their old ones, so they work gruelling hours for not much pay or gratitude from the company. They don't have much authority to run their departments, but the company asks a lot of them anyway.

Work-life balance isn't great. Workloads are very heavy, and overtime is frequent. Expect to work hard for that $10/hour. In addition, expect to spend a lot of time training replacement employees.

Author Solutions simply fails to meet the industry standard of professionalism, and that needs to change. Recognize that employees are not fungible and deserve some input on their compensation. Remember--you're competing against companies that do.