Author Solutions

Author Solutions CEO Andrew Phillips

Andrew Phillips

One of the best employers in Central/Southern Indiana

Publishing Consultant (Current Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsOwned by Penguin Random House, this employer takes care of it's employees. The starting pay is aggressive plus the added bonuses and commissions can triple or quad triple your annual earnings here. There is no ceiling on what you earn. Health benefits are stellar and most likely the best in the country. Just after a year with the company, an employee can earn over a month of vacation/personal time/sick time. After 10 years, the company grants a one month paid sabbatical on top of a full four weeks vacation. I've been with this company for over 10 years and have advanced in annual earnings each year. The position of Publishing Consultant is inspiring and rewarding. The secret of a successful career at Author Solutions is dedication, hard work, honesty and integrity.

ConsThe cons are minimum. The Sales and Marketing positions at Author Solutions are not for everyone. The growth of this company is massive which can sometimes lead to hiring the wrong individuals for a position. This is a fast paced, high growth and earnings company. I've worked with some of the former employees that have reviewed this company in a negative light and can honestly say that they simply were not cut out for this environment. Although this is a sales position, it requires a level of intelligence and an understanding of the publishing business, all which is taught on the job. The products and services offered by Author Solutions are targeted to each individual client. The former employees that left Author Solutions on a bad note were simply unable to grasp this concept or lost patience in the process of learning.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to challenge and reward employees. We have some of the best career minded, hard working people in Indiana as part of our family in Bloomington and Indianapolis.

Couldn't wait to leave!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAuthor Solutions is great for someone starting out of school with no real work experience (being based in Bloomington, IN, they offer jobs to a lot of young IU grads). You'll get a lot of hands-on work experience in a lot of areas that you can apply to jobs in the future (we used to call it "ASI boot camp"). There's a lot of young, fun, friendly coworkers you'd work with. A lot of my peers ended up getting awesome jobs coming out, just because of work experience and connections formed on the job.

ConsTurnover is high, which makes it difficult on everyone who remains (instead of hiring in the past, they would just add another person's workload to yours). The workload is high, with little work-life balance or incentives. The pay is not a livable wage for the two office locations (Bloomington and Indy). The entire focus is on sales rather than delivering quality services, with little focus on employees. We were actually told by the CEO at the time during a roundtable that if we didn't like the pay or office conditions, he didn't care if we left. It's more a factory mentality than what a "real" publishing house would be. I still have PTSD from working there!

Advice to Senior ManagementI've heard that the CEO and some senior management has changed since I worked there, but I would say to stop adding products and services as part as a growth mentality, and consider how to improve the quality of products and services you offer. You are well past the growth phase as a business...and you're losing money on the turnover, so invest in your employees well-being and communication.

Author Solutions Takes Care of You!

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsFantastic insurance benefits. The people are smart and enjoyable to work with. Management encourages you to develop your skill and prepares you for advancement. Many social functions, both on site and off, throughout the course of the year. Generous trips, dinners and awards given for excellent job performance. My child's school recently had a fundraising event that the company was even willing to donate to! Throughout my tenure here I know of other instances of the company, and even individuals on the Executive level, being willing to donate to employees who have experienced personal tragedy.

Training is excellent, two full weeks after hiring, and is continued during the first 6 months of employment with continued education and learning opportunity afterward. On a daily basis, having the opportunity to speak with so many diverse types of people who are pursuing publication is a tremendous learning experience. All in all, it is rewarding to be part of a company that touches so many lives and helps so many people accomplish their goals of publication.

ConsThe common thing i see with the negative reviews here are that the employees spent little time at the company. I have been here for 4 years and the people that I have seen come and go simply did not fulfill the expectations of the job position they were in. I do my job well, I work hard, and I am rewarded accordingly!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with periodic update/town hall meetings to keep employees informed of growth, progress, and changes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible. Unethical. Encouraged to lie to customers.

Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsThere was absolutely zero pros about working here.

ConsUnrealistic sales goals. Extremely high turnover rate. Super unethical. Lie to their authors. Almost zero vacation days. Was told we could come in on Christmas Eve "if we wanted to..."

Their marketing services are awful. If you do sell marketing to a customer, then they'll be angry by the time the service is up or the product is delivered because they realize it did absolutely nothing for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on some sales calls and listen to actual authors who know this company is a huge scam. Invest in some marketing that's actually going to do something. Don't encourage your staff to lie.

Ever changing!

ProsCEO; Working hours; the people; locations; flexible

ConsCOO; Ridiculously low pay (exept for upper management and IT); no room for growth in some departments; building is not taken care of very well

Advice to Senior ManagementIf some Senior Management was changed around here, things would be much better. Realize that the "little" people do the work, so ask them the best way, instead of taking it upon yourself to say how it goes, when you don't do the work. Think more about your employees! Treat them right and they will make you money.

Good job, not a good career

Senior Accountant (Current Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsDaily breakfast, well known parent company, lenient schedule. There's plenty of work to do so you won't be bored. It's in a great town and continues to grow. I've read a lot of the reviews on here and think it's all a matter of perception. There are SEVERAL different departments with so many different characteristics. Managers and staff in the design team are on the other side of the spectrum of the accounting team (as an example). Some departments are better than others. I believe the Accounting dept. Is the red headed step child in this company and last in salary increases, bonuses and upgrades. This is true for a lot of private sectors' accounting depts.. In any department this company is a good one for your resume and a good career if your comfortable in a less than average salaried position with no room to grow; which a lot of people are.

ConsThe people! I feel I am surrounded by the most medicated depressants I have ever seen. Also people who insist on helping themselves but not others; not good team players. Some people are so negative that it can bring you down on your best day. Employees need to leave personal life and business life separate.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can only speak for management in accounting. The majority of management is ok and the new controller seems to be moving everything in the right direction. There is a cancer in accounting that needs removed but I won't mention the title. I believe this persons emotional stance is very weak and should not be in charge of anything important.

Other reviews are misleading... There is no reason to have negative feelings about the company.

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsPay is adequate- I wouldn't say generous, but profit is the motive of the private sector, after all. I'm in sales and the commissions are UNCAPPED. You probably aren't going to become rich from working here, but some people regularly hit 6 figures. My training was more than adequate. I would even say they OVER trained me, which is clearly more desirable than under-training. The atmosphere here is not negative at all- I have experienced friendly, professional personalities from the employees I've interacted with. There are, admittedly, some negative nancies who simply don't acknowledge the value of the service we offer and the potential of their position. But isn't that life? Some people have a critical outlook no matter the circumstance: publishing is complicated and these negative individuals won't succeed here. They probably won't go very far ANYWHERE. Bottom line- the people here are business oriented, professional, and personable. Most of the negatives described by other employees are attributable to misunderstanding the intention of managers or failure to perceive the bigger picture. Other people are simply whining.

ConsBase pay for sales could be better. But the potential for commissions (did I mention they are UNCAPPED?) is the clear, and in my opinion fair, trade off. Cubicles could be of higher quality and better isolated from sound, but I am nitpicking. Business mimics nature- it is often difficult and imperfect. This business deserves a better reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing comes to mind in terms of advice to management. They are reasonable, motivating, and sometimes annoying. After all, they are HUMAN. Manager annoying you? What a surprise. Stop whining.

A place to start...and leave as soon as you can

Social Media Specialist (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsI met some of my closets friends here and was able to be a part of Penguin Random House publishing, which was an awesome experience.

ConsVery poor pay if you're not management or IT; deceptive sales practices/unrealistic expectations set for customers. No room for growth and little is invested in employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay and more opportunities for continuing education. If you claim to be the leader in Indie Publishing, allow your employees to deliver quality products the Indie way.

Your experience really is what you make it

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsCasual work environment, on site food vendors, being part of publishing giant Penguin Random House brings a new set of perks, great benefits with decent prices, above average PTO even from day 1, new management seems to want to really change direction of the company in a positive way. Each department seems to have it's own subset of perks- on the spot awards like gift cards, amusement park or sporting even tix, sales has long hours at the end of the month, but has lunch and dinner catered in plus can do well in commission and bonuses, production teams seem to genuinely enjoy their work and have a team feel. Finance and accounting are finance and accounting. If that's your thing, you'll enjoy it here as well. Lots of changes in the past few years has lead to a lot of turnover, but there are plenty who stick around and have for 5+ years. This year they introduced Sabbaticals for employees who have been there 10+ years- 4 weeks paid in addition to any Personal, Vacation & Sick time. We also have Volunteer Days (2 a year). I've never worked anywhere that offered this and I think it's pretty amazing. If you come to work bitter and watch the clock until quitting time, you won't be happy anywhere. But if you're willing to learn, like what you do, who you're around or look for the positive, it's not a bad place to be. Basically, wherever you go, there you are. If you're an unhappy person, you'll be unhappy here. If you're positive or willing to put yourself into your work, you might just love it. Maybe not everyday- it's a job after all, and there will be things you don't like, but the pros outweigh the cons.

ConsPay is not where it should be. But really it mostly depends on the type of work you're doing. The building needs some love, but it's been rumored that this could happen soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people. Train them well, and more often. Value them and what they bring to the organization. Reevaluate pay scales- for everyone- not just sales. Communicate more often. Take the company from a reactive stance (with everything) to proactive. Some small splurges can mean a lot to employees and create a more positive culture. Offer consistency. Stick to policies and support managers.

Publishing Consultant

Proslove talking to authors all day, hearing their ideas...some of which are fabulous.

Consmicro management?? Is there a more intense descriptor for incessant 'metrics' updates, which really are meaningless and a huge time sink, but further, these updates are accompanied by chiding, nasty comments that are demoralizing and are the useless tools of useless and incompetent managers. Noone has any fun, its all frowns and an atmosphere of bullying by mgmt and constant fear of employees makes it a ghastly place to work. Its a shame, it could be a good job if it werent for the toxic environment. Human capitol flies out the door, they cant retain talent because they treat employees with extreme disrespect. Worst employer ive ever had

Advice to Senior Managementhire managers with people skills immediately. Treat employeees with respect. Stop changing compensation from hire date to first paycheck. Youre stealing!

Worked for Author Solutions? Contribute to the Community!