Autism Spectrum Therapies

Dr. Ronit M. Molko

Enthusiastic about the field

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great support from supervisors. One of the best pay in the area in the autism field. You can take as many cases/work as many hours as you wish. Some compensation for driving.

Cons

Weird schedule, mostly in the afternoons and evenings. The training doesn't prepare you for working with parents, who are a huge part of a successful intervention. Lots of driving, which in San Diego means being stuck in traffic a lot.

Adventurous but Lonely

Current Employee - Behavior Interventiost in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventiost in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company continues to change in order to make it easier to complete one's responsibilities, including advancement in technology. A lot of effort has been made by the company on collecting feedback from all employees in regards to how they can make it a better place to work. Small workshops/seminars are provided to help keep employees up-to-date on company changes and requirements to work in this field. Supervisors have been somewhat improving in showing therapists appreciation of their work. Free coffee at the office!

Cons

The working schedule often changes and it is difficult to know the following week's schedule until Friday of the current week, which makes it hard to organize a personal schedule in advance outside of work. A day may include 3 separate sessions, up to 3 hour gaps of wasting time between each, and up to 45 minutes of travel time between sessions (even longer if you have to travel to an entire different county). Even though hired full time, a schedule for the week may only contain 15 hours (if you're lucky), making it very difficult to live and survive on. Session cancellations happen all the time and only a few times are alternate sessions offered in replacement. There are even times where you will have 2 days or more without work because they have no cases to give.

Working with this company only a few years, I have been assigned to at least 12 different supervisors, being assigned to some of them more than once. On top of that, I have had a minimum of 4 separate supervisors for 4 separate clients all at the same time....not to mention that each supervisor required me to record data and to work with the clients in each 4 total different ways. This makes it feel like being bounced around in a pinball machine. However, the company has recently been trying to fix this. There have been countless times when they show up at a session (and sometimes with more additional supervisors or directors) without me being informed that they are coming or even why, making me feel that I am immediately put on the spot. This prevents me from having questions ready ahead of time and allow me pinpoint to them the specific areas that are in need of improvement for the client. Also, without giving the opportunity to prepare, it is very difficult to show to the supervisor(s) areas in which the client has improved and/or mastered. For several sessions, no feedback was provided and supervisors pretend like they are invisible. It's as if they are there only to record problems and then later show what you have done wrong (and maybe just a little positive feedback). What's even more sad is that they leave early before the session is over, preventing me from asking further questions, especially those that I was unable to ask while the session was being run. In addition, there have been times where a supervisor has not shown up in a case for more than a month, making it very frustrating for the parents as well. Even though my recommendations or ideas about various programs have been shared with the supervisors, very few times do they even consider talking about it.

It's sad that the company does not train employees how to educate parents, making therapists feel unprofessional and with very little skill. When parents ask questions, several answers are not available to give to them. When things go wrong and parents complain, therapists are the ones to be blamed.

There is very little, if any, room for advancement in this company in regards to positions and salary. You are pretty much stuck with what they offer you on day 1. High turnovers and constantly having to hire more therapists.

This a very solo job. Always working alone can make it a more stressful job and cause a loss of interest in continuing in this field. Other than an annual Christmas party (which happens in mid-January), there are no other gatherings or fun events for employees to meet other co-workers and build new relationships. This makes working with this company a bit boring. If you prefer working alone then this might be a job for you.

Supervisors, meet with employees 1-on-1 outside of sessions when possible in order to discuss how to improve and to work together as a TEAM. This is especially when a therapist is assigned for a Saturday case in which you are unwilling to be present. Be a team player rather than just a director. Let therapists know you are coming to a session (especially when there is more than 1 supervisor attending) so the therapist can prepare and be ready to ask for help. Please provide feedback always and allow us to discuss the areas in which we are successful and where we need improvement. I appreciate that supervisors and the company work very hard, but therapists should be given more extra time so that supervisors can provide more help if needed.

Working at A ST was a nightmare that you weren't able to wake up from until you left the company.

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist

I worked at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The bathrooms and Monrovia Office was beautiful. We were treated like gold during training. It's hard to say more positive things because there isn't any.

Cons

The pay was very low for the work. Some office staff were paid higher than people out in the field who had to have a BA or B'S degree. The office staff in Monrovia was so unprofessional. They promoted people based on who they liked and treated others like they were children.

Quit.

Pretty good

I worked at Autism Spectrum Therapies

Pros

Great supervisors, and decent training.

Cons

Underpaid, overworked, hard to get vacation, or time off.

Disappointed

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the BIs are nice. The kids are awesome and fun to work with.

Cons

Hours often get cut with no replacement.
    Weeks go by without a new client to help with income.
    Alt sessions are few and far in between.
    Scheduling is not strategic, often feels like people are just slapping things together without considering other options for BIs.
    Communication is lacking.
    Zero company transparency.
    Too many Bis and not enough clients.
    Further education is required to move up (i.e. Masters or PhD)

I would suggest being more upfront about the hours, often BI's are lucky to get a minimum of 15-18 hours a week. Had I known about the severe lack of hours, I would have been more proactive about finding a stable day time job and keeping this job as my part time job.
    Additionally, more company transparency. Often the BIs are kept in the dark about company issues and usually find out about changes when it is too late. I also feel that supervisors need to give better feedback during sessions instead of 3 weeks to 1 month later when the feedback is useless and too many mistakes have been made along the way.
    Also, please STOP over hiring and learn to deal with the employees you have. It seems that BIs are always losing clients and hours take forever to get replaced. However, surprisingly, there is a new hire each week getting more hours than the veteran BI. If anything hire people who either have their masters or are currently obtaining their masters for the BCBA. I would have never applied (thus never wasting my time) had I know that the job requires a Masters to get a salary.
    It is very hard to live off $350 a week when rent is twice this amount and many of your BIs live on their own or have families to support. This is not what I signed up for.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Pogram Supervisor in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Pogram Supervisor in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive and knowledgeable support built in to the company's structure. I have worked at AST as an intervention and currently as a supervisor. As an interventionist I received support when working in uncomfortable situations with families. My supervisor truly made me feel she "had my back." In addition, I felt my supervisors were invested in my growth and professional development. They provided opportunities to learn advance behavior strategies and analysis. My supervisors were always open to questions and provided support in any way possible. After completing a masters program and passing the BCBA exam, I was promoted to supervisor. As a supervisor my clinical director has taught me how to teach others and manage both staff and families. Being a supervisor has allowed me to have a more flexible schedule. I feel I have a good work/life balance and have been compensated with a competitive salary. I have enjoyed all my different jobs at AST and have seen many changes occur throughout the company. I feel AST is invested in their staff and work hard to make it great work experience.

Cons

I believe cons with AST are consistent with industry standards. This would include inconsistent hours, long work days and drive times. However, being a in-home service provider, these concerns are common. I feel AST has been active in listening to interventionist concerns and have tried to rectify these concerns to the best of their ability. An additional concern would be limited growth without educational experience. I have seen some strong interventionist, with lots of experience, leave due to lack of advancement. However, with the appropriate educational experience, growth is possible.

I feel AST management has been active in receiving feedback across the company. The president has been to each region and met with many interventionist, supervisors and directors to hear feedback directly from the field. I believe AST is working hard to make AST a great place to work.

AST is great company to work for!

Former Employee - Advanced Behavioral Interventionist in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Advanced Behavioral Interventionist in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with AST for almost one year. I have worked both part-time and full-time to accommodate client needs as well as my own. I have always been able to have enough clients to fill my schedule. I had no problem with scheduling working around my school schedule. The OC staff is AMAZING! Anytime I have had a question or concern it has been answered or addressed in a timely manner. The Senior Mgmt team, including the President of the comany, have made a mission to find out what the employees want and don't want and have actively implemented programs based on our feedback. ("Our" - meaning the behavior interventionists out in the field on the front line.)

Cons

The only con for me was shift I was hired for. I willingly and knowingly accepted a 2:00-8:00 shift. After working this shift for almost a year I realized that those hours are not for me. I also missed working with the younger (0-3) clients. So that is why I am leaving - The majority of the clients available are a little older and afternoons and evenings. If you are okay with a later schedule then I'd highly recommend AST to you.

Keep up the great job! I LOVE that you are asking the BI's directly what works and doesn't work for them. You have done an excellent job keeping the entire company informed on what is happening and where the company as a whole is going.

Lack of Communication

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training was extremely thorough and management is very nice.
    Supervisors are responsive and give great feedback in the field.
    The people are very nice, though you do not get much interaction with them.

Cons

Supervisors do not meet with therapists often.
    Hours are not guaranteed, when a child is on vacation, the therapist doesn't earn those hours/wages, unless scheduling is able to give him/her hours. Also, scheduling can schedule you for anytime within your availability (even if it is not a typical appointment) the Friday prior to the appointment.
    There is a lack of communication between HR and management as well as management and therapists in the amount of hours that a therapist is under the expectation of receiving.
    Large gaps between appointments that do not get compensated.

Work on communication/support so that therapists feel they are part of a company. Since we are rarely in the office, we do not hear about company changes until well after they occur.
    Scheduling should have to confirm that therapist is available before scheduling him/her for shifts that are not part of the weekly schedule.

AST Cares

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working for a company that is making a difference in other's lives! I think the company tries really hard to do what is best for the clients, employees and company and maintains a good balance. Socials and work events are awesome for employees to get to know each other outside of work.

Cons

No guaranteed hours for field staff and inconsistencies across regional offices.

Thank you to the President for caring so much about the employees. Thank you for listening to EVERYONE, following through with what you are capable of changing, and trying to make AST the best ABA company whenever possible.

AST is an Amazing Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Program Supervisor in Victorville, CA
    Current Employee - Program Supervisor in Victorville, CA

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I think one of the most wonderful things about working for this company is that level of support and genuine regard for the employees is unmatched and the pay is competitive at all levels. The executive team has gone to great lengths to ensure that each and every individual employee, from top to bottom, is heard and changes are made on an ongoing and consistent basis to improve overall employee satisfaction. There is lots of room to grow and to be mentored by well-trained, educated people who are all working together toward a common focus as a team. The mission, goals, and values of AST have become my own and it has been such a great feeling to share the values of my colleagues and of the company that we work for. The atmosphere is fun and professional and hard work never goes unnoticed. AST is an overall wonderful place to work and learn more about ABA and I am both proud and very blessed to be a part of such a great culture.

Cons

AST is a growing company. As a result, there are frequent changes and it can be overwhelming or difficult to keep up.

Thank you, and please keep doing what you are doing! :)