Autism Spectrum Therapies

Enthusiastic about the field

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great support from supervisors. One of the best pay in the area in the autism field. You can take as many cases/work as many hours as you wish. Some compensation for driving.

Cons

Weird schedule, mostly in the afternoons and evenings. The training doesn't prepare you for working with parents, who are a huge part of a successful intervention. Lots of driving, which in San Diego means being stuck in traffic a lot.

Disappointed

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the BIs are nice. The kids are awesome and fun to work with.

Cons

Hours often get cut with no replacement.
    Weeks go by without a new client to help with income.
    Alt sessions are few and far in between.
    Scheduling is not strategic, often feels like people are just slapping things together without considering other options for BIs.
    Communication is lacking.
    Zero company transparency.
    Too many Bis and not enough clients.
    Further education is required to move up (i.e. Masters or PhD)

I would suggest being more upfront about the hours, often BI's are lucky to get a minimum of 15-18 hours a week. Had I known about the severe lack of hours, I would have been more proactive about finding a stable day time job and keeping this job as my part time job.
    Additionally, more company transparency. Often the BIs are kept in the dark about company issues and usually find out about changes when it is too late. I also feel that supervisors need to give better feedback during sessions instead of 3 weeks to 1 month later when the feedback is useless and too many mistakes have been made along the way.
    Also, please STOP over hiring and learn to deal with the employees you have. It seems that BIs are always losing clients and hours take forever to get replaced. However, surprisingly, there is a new hire each week getting more hours than the veteran BI. If anything hire people who either have their masters or are currently obtaining their masters for the BCBA. I would have never applied (thus never wasting my time) had I know that the job requires a Masters to get a salary.
    It is very hard to live off $350 a week when rent is twice this amount and many of your BIs live on their own or have families to support. This is not what I signed up for.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Pogram Supervisor  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Pogram Supervisor in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Supportive and knowledgeable support built in to the company's structure. I have worked at AST as an intervention and currently as a supervisor. As an interventionist I received support when working in uncomfortable situations with families. My supervisor truly made me feel she "had my back." In addition, I felt my supervisors were invested in my growth and professional development. They provided opportunities to learn advance behavior strategies and analysis. My supervisors were always open to questions and provided support in any way possible. After completing a masters program and passing the BCBA exam, I was promoted to supervisor. As a supervisor my clinical director has taught me how to teach others and manage both staff and families. Being a supervisor has allowed me to have a more flexible schedule. I feel I have a good work/life balance and have been compensated with a competitive salary. I have enjoyed all my different jobs at AST and have seen many changes occur throughout the company. I feel AST is invested in their staff and work hard to make it great work experience.

Cons

I believe cons with AST are consistent with industry standards. This would include inconsistent hours, long work days and drive times. However, being a in-home service provider, these concerns are common. I feel AST has been active in listening to interventionist concerns and have tried to rectify these concerns to the best of their ability. An additional concern would be limited growth without educational experience. I have seen some strong interventionist, with lots of experience, leave due to lack of advancement. However, with the appropriate educational experience, growth is possible.

I feel AST management has been active in receiving feedback across the company. The president has been to each region and met with many interventionist, supervisors and directors to hear feedback directly from the field. I believe AST is working hard to make AST a great place to work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of Communication

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time for less than a year

Pros

Training was extremely thorough and management is very nice.
    Supervisors are responsive and give great feedback in the field.
    The people are very nice, though you do not get much interaction with them.

Cons

Supervisors do not meet with therapists often.
    Hours are not guaranteed, when a child is on vacation, the therapist doesn't earn those hours/wages, unless scheduling is able to give him/her hours. Also, scheduling can schedule you for anytime within your availability (even if it is not a typical appointment) the Friday prior to the appointment.
    There is a lack of communication between HR and management as well as management and therapists in the amount of hours that a therapist is under the expectation of receiving.
    Large gaps between appointments that do not get compensated.

Work on communication/support so that therapists feel they are part of a company. Since we are rarely in the office, we do not hear about company changes until well after they occur.
    Scheduling should have to confirm that therapist is available before scheduling him/her for shifts that are not part of the weekly schedule.

AST is great company to work for!

Former Employee - Advanced Behavioral Interventionist  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Advanced Behavioral Interventionist in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Autism Spectrum Therapies part-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been with AST for almost one year. I have worked both part-time and full-time to accommodate client needs as well as my own. I have always been able to have enough clients to fill my schedule. I had no problem with scheduling working around my school schedule. The OC staff is AMAZING! Anytime I have had a question or concern it has been answered or addressed in a timely manner. The Senior Mgmt team, including the President of the comany, have made a mission to find out what the employees want and don't want and have actively implemented programs based on our feedback. ("Our" - meaning the behavior interventionists out in the field on the front line.)

Cons

The only con for me was shift I was hired for. I willingly and knowingly accepted a 2:00-8:00 shift. After working this shift for almost a year I realized that those hours are not for me. I also missed working with the younger (0-3) clients. So that is why I am leaving - The majority of the clients available are a little older and afternoons and evenings. If you are okay with a later schedule then I'd highly recommend AST to you.

Keep up the great job! I LOVE that you are asking the BI's directly what works and doesn't work for them. You have done an excellent job keeping the entire company informed on what is happening and where the company as a whole is going.

AST Cares

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working for a company that is making a difference in other's lives! I think the company tries really hard to do what is best for the clients, employees and company and maintains a good balance. Socials and work events are awesome for employees to get to know each other outside of work.

Cons

No guaranteed hours for field staff and inconsistencies across regional offices.

Thank you to the President for caring so much about the employees. Thank you for listening to EVERYONE, following through with what you are capable of changing, and trying to make AST the best ABA company whenever possible.

AST is an Amazing Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Program Supervisor  in  Victorville, CA
    Current Employee - Program Supervisor in Victorville, CA

I have been working at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I think one of the most wonderful things about working for this company is that level of support and genuine regard for the employees is unmatched and the pay is competitive at all levels. The executive team has gone to great lengths to ensure that each and every individual employee, from top to bottom, is heard and changes are made on an ongoing and consistent basis to improve overall employee satisfaction. There is lots of room to grow and to be mentored by well-trained, educated people who are all working together toward a common focus as a team. The mission, goals, and values of AST have become my own and it has been such a great feeling to share the values of my colleagues and of the company that we work for. The atmosphere is fun and professional and hard work never goes unnoticed. AST is an overall wonderful place to work and learn more about ABA and I am both proud and very blessed to be a part of such a great culture.

Cons

AST is a growing company. As a result, there are frequent changes and it can be overwhelming or difficult to keep up.

Thank you, and please keep doing what you are doing! :)

No pay raises, phony incentives, golden carrot

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist  in  Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Culver City, CA

I worked at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great experience working in the field of Autism. Great ABA experience. Provide service to low income families in disadvantaged neighborhoods.

Cons

Inconsistent income, Inconsistent hours, Inconsistent policies. High turnover rate of Behavior Interventionist and Supervisors. Forced to attend clinical team meetings that were cleverly scheduled on national holidays

Say what you mean and mean what you say. Share the wealth.

AST truly cares!

Current Employee - Program Supervisor  in  Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Program Supervisor in Culver City, CA

Pros

I have worked for several agencies in the field of ABA over the last 13 years and I can honestly say that AST is the best! It is made of some of the most talented, knowledgeable, and compassionate people in the field. This company is dedicated to helping individuals with autism and other disabilities receive the best treatment available, while providing support to their families and community. They make sure that that everyone is up-to-date on best practices and new research! The President of AST, Gary Weinhouse, takes time out of his extremely busy schedule to meet with each and every staff member in order to ensure a positive working environment. Personally, I have never seen the President of any large company make himself so accessible. The Clinical Director, Rahil Roussos, is truly exceptional and committed to mentoring all of the program supervisors and their clients. In addition, she makes a point to ensure that each behavior interventionist will be assigned enough hours and that they feel supported by their supervisors. The Staff Support Manger, Richelle Hinman, provides excellent training to new behaviorists so that they are prepared with the skills needed when they go out in the field. She makes herself available to all staff members that want or need ongoing support. AST truly cares about their clients and the people that make the company what it is today.

Cons

Like all agencies in the field of ABA, you will have to drive from one client to the next. If you plan ahead, traffic shouldn't be a problem.

Keep doing what you are doing!

I wouldn't do it again

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist  in  Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Culver City, CA

I worked at Autism Spectrum Therapies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the kids and parents are great, Gary Weinhouse is open to feedback and responsive

Cons

Long drives, being asked to do shifts outside of scheduled times and it being held over if you don't, sometimes kids are violent and seriously hurt you and when I asked for more training I was refused, frequent cancellations, extremely high turnover, any excuse to not give a raise,

Pay your employees better, stop nickel and diming them, support interventionists better on difficult cases

Worked for Autism Spectrum Therapies? Contribute to the Community!