Auto Club of Southern California
www.calif.aaa.com Los Angeles, CA 5000+ Employees

Auto Club of Southern California Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Robert T. Bouttier

Pros:
  • "Competitive salary with very good benefits"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Stable company, decent benefits"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Worst of all is the mediocre upper management resistant to change"
    in 10 reviews
  • "No room for growth, no perks, no respect from managers"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A relic of the past in work environment, technology, managerial style

Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    State College, PA

ProsIncredible brand -- easy to position
    Pay wasn't bad, benefits even better
    As defeating as the work environment was, fellow employees quite nice

ConsGee, where to start? Worked as an insurance agent for a whole six months. This was my second stint at AAA. Spent 7 years at a different club with an amazing experience, so was excited when opportunity opened here.

Computer hardware was about 5-7 years old, software that did all the insurance quoting was a relic from the mid 1980s. It often crashed mid-quote with a member sitting in front of you. Places you filled information in would disappear; information that was supposed to be carried over from another screen sometimes would, sometimes would not. Often this would result in a change of premium from what the member was originally promised. It happened so often how this company was not fined by the insurance department boggles my mind.

The technology that *is* state-of-the-art is that which monitors how long you're spending on a call, what is being said, the various cameras around the office catching every move. (One associate warned me of a time when the Club hired lip reading experts to catch an employee saying something negative, but that might just be folklore). If it were true, I can't say I'd be shocked.

Coming in with 15 years of insurance experience, happily showed them different ways we could market and prospect. This was met with scorn and ridicule; I was labeled a troublemaker pretty quickly. In my heart, I loved this organization -- my first stint supported me through college, promoted me multiple times, and treated me well.

I was startled at how discouraged I was becoming in such short time.

The pay was good, but in that six months I had my compensation plan changed twice. Each time, a large portion of the compensation was your "accuracy bonus." The level was 97.5%, a level some companies that have robots. Under the best of conditions that's a hard level to achieve, but it was compounded by the aforementioned horrid technology, and constant pressure to produce and sell more. I have no problem with growth goals and sales plans, but they need to be mathematically possible. This would force you to work hours outside the 9-5, which again is no biggie -- except the middle managers that ran the show would be hushing to get you out. An extra hour of the day catching up on paperwork would get you scolded.

Speaking of management, it's an old-school "top down" mentality. Do as you're told, and do precisely as you're told. There is not one middle or senior manager in the office I worked in that would survive three months in most other companies. I was a middle manager in a Fortune 500 prior to returning to AAA, and some of the bullying tactics I witnessed here would've made our leaders in the Fortune recoil in horror.

I don't think much will change anytime soon -- it's an organization very well insulated from the realities of the corporate world, both in employee welfare and customer expectations. There is also tremendous brand equity left. But as more organizations offer roadside assistance and that equity erodes, AAA is in some trouble...not to mention the vast majority of the customers I wrote were 50+. A plan to attract the younger set? Puh-leeze.

By the way, I got fired -- for marketing on social media. If they stepped out of their comfort zone, they would see there are consultants that make six figures showing companies how to do this!

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd give you hours of it, but you won't listen anyway. It saddens me, for AAA is an organization which I once loved, worked hard for, and was proud to represent.

Micromanaged, punitive environment

Sales Agent (Former Employee)
    Costa Mesa, CA

ProsRelatively good benefits, stable company

ConsMicromanaged, amount of paperwork expected from agents along with "accuracy" at 97.5%...then deductions are taken from your commission when you drop below 97.5%. Never did know exactly how the compensation package works, it is very involved and not even your supervisor/manager can fully explain it.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is extremely isolated, they need to go downstairs to see what their employees have to deal with. Numbers in a report gauge only one facet of performance, does not seem like anything else really matters with this company. Keep adding duties to the job, sometimes members feel like they are being solicited too much when we are forced to pitch more products to them.

A great place to get work experience but that's about it.

Senior Clerk (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Pros401k, pension plan, vacation and sick time, paid holidays, some jobs flexible with school, and employee discounts.

ConsDifficult to move up, pay and pay increases, medical coverage and premium costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better benefits and cover more of the costs, pay your employees better wages and pay raises, provide more opportunities to move up, and liste. To your employees when their trying to notify you of changes or actions that need to be taken into consideration.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A solid company but flawed job design

Travel Agent (Current Employee)

ProsTravel discounts; there are many branches so there's probably one close to your home; the AAA brand draws customers just by virtue of its reputation; sales reps from cruise and tour companies are pretty attentive to your needs because you're part of an organization that gives them a huge amount of business; pension plan (small, but hey, it's more than most employers are offering these days); 401k match; no evening or holiday work.

ConsWorkload: it's not humanly possible to complete all they ask of you, so you'll always be neglecting something in order to address whatever is the current hot-button performance goal.
    Pay: Recently they froze the base salary and it's supposed to stay that way. You can only increase your income by increasing your bonuses through sales, but for the average agent, bonuses only account for 25% of your salary-- the remaining 75% of your salary remains frozen.
    Schedule: Screwy work schedule with rotating Saturdays. Since Sat hours are 10am-2pm, you work a partial day midweek to complete your 40 hrs. End result is you work 6 days per week about every other week. No flexibility in getting time off without pay when it's slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdeas coming from someone sitting in the AO trying to win the approval of their bosses don't necessarily work in real life. Trust us when we tell you that certain job tasks are unproductive and interfere with our ability to service customers who are truly interested in our services. Why would we lie? We want just as much as you to be productive and successful!

success depends on the department

Policy Service Specialist (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Prosgreat benefits , bonuses, incentives and rewards . several department to transfer to .

Conscall center environment is very unstable and has a very high turnover . treatment of employees in the call center is totally different then other departments . due to turnover there are constant freezes which make it hard to take advantage of changing departments

Advice to Senior Managementdont treat employees like kindergartners . hire better people so that you can trust your staff

The Automobile Club of Southern California has provided me with security, growth, and development.

Costa Mesa, CA

ProsThe Automobile Club of Southern California cares about its' employees.

ConsWork at The Club, just like many other employers, is challenging. It is a sign of the times that we all have to do more with less.

Only if you're a robot

Receive/Dispatch (Customer Service) (Former Employee)
    Burbank, CA

Proscoworkers are the best and benefits are cool

Consyou will never get a clear answer on a question the response will always be well corporate says or well why isnt anyone else having this/ that problem.. no real room for advancement unless you're friends of management ... they can care less how long you've been there they will cut your cord or as they like to say "Release you back into the community" i saw managers who'd been there over 30 yrs get axed because they refused to write up a receive agent for surveys which they know are inaccurate. This place is a revolving door once you get off your 6 mo probation do what you can to transfer out of this office.. your sanity is worth it

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out whats really going on in your company because your Burbank office is being run by a group of people that are going to wind up costing you a lot of money in discrimination and or harassment suits....

Good Benefits, Tough Job

Specialist II (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat Benefits. A good place for long term employment with opportunities to try new things if you get bored.

ConsCustomer Service centric. Daily interactions with difficult customers who act entitled, because the company allows the behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up to customers.

stable company

Senior Network Analyst (Current Employee)
    Costa Mesa, CA

Proslong term employment if you want a stable job with a pension

ConsThey don't invest in training for employees. Computers are at least 5 years old and they expect you to work long hours. no employee appreciation

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in your employees.

Slow and poorly managed company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Costa Mesa, CA

ProsSome of the people in company are nice and seem to care.

ConsThe company is slow to make change, rewards bad behavior, has overbearing and unprofessional management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare and invest in your employees. It would be nice if the company had a heart.

Worked for Auto Club of Southern California? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Auto Club of Southern California reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Auto Club of Southern California CEO Robert T. Bouttier. All 134 reviews posted anonymously by Auto Club of Southern California employees.