Auto Club of Southern California

www.calif.aaa.com

Auto Club of Southern California Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Robert T. Bouttier

Pros
  • Competitive salary with very good benefits(in 14 reviews)

• Financially stable company; job security(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst of all is the mediocre upper management resistant to change(in 11 reviews)

• No room for growth, no perks, no respect from managers(in 4 reviews)

79 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I enjoyed working here; there's definitely some job security in most positions.

ERS (Former Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsThere's good camraderie and team building environment.

Conshard to move up the ladder. Response time to a new application to transfer to another dept takes a long time. Unexpected issues with call center operations can bog down ones tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give employees more offline tasks, or things to help them learn something new so they can increase their potential in moving up.

Worst call center ever.

Member Service Representative (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsGood benefits. That's about it.

ConsSo inflexible with scheduling. Super low pay. Annoying dress code. Poor work moral on call center floor. Not family friendly. Nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get an "approved" day off no matter how far in advance you request it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people what their worth! And try being more flexible when it comes to schedules. Note to President: Quit being greedy and hiring people at chump change levels of pay!

Glad to be gone

Policy Service Specialist (Call Center) (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat employee appreciation events. Management is always feeding us something, whether it be donuts, pizza, tamales, etc. They have lots of pot lucks, and always do something for most major holidays. If you need the money, there's always overtime available. Mellow work environment; no one looking over your shoulder at all times.

ConsGood luck getting a promotion. Most promotions are based on numbers only. If you have good survey scores and referral numbers expect recognition and promotions. If not, you're just another worker bee. Newbies who know less than you and have less experience than you are now your superiors and can't help you when you need it most. The company stresses customer satisfaction/retention and "legendary service", yet they do little to help you achieve those goals. They are desperately understaffed when it comes to call center supervisors and underwriters, making your job more stressful and many customers rarely satisfied. This affects bonuses and service scores, performance reviews, and pay increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP saying you're about customer/member satisfaction when you really only care about numbers. Your main concern is the numbers produced by the worker bees. Everything else is negligible.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I don't recommed it.

Policy Service Specialist (Current Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsBeautiful campus in Santa Ana. But that's the only thing good I can say about it.

ConsAs a Policy Service Specialist management would rather have you sell, sell, sell (as in referrals) then provide "Legandary Sevice" to existing members.

Advice to Senior ManagementHeed the advice you teach in training.....Great service comes before upselling.

What Happened to "Not for Profit"?

Travel Agent (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsBrand recognition and excellent reputation as an organization that has existed for more than 100 years.

ConsI have seen many changes in this organization over the years, and while I am not adverse to change, I am against NEGATIVE change. I have seen the emphasis go from a culture of providing excellent customer service based on the needs of its members to one primarily focused on profits, even at the expense of poor employee morale and customer service.

One example of this is when ACSC made the decision to expand its operational hours at every branch office to its members a few years ago. When they instituted every AAA office a Saturday office, it was an excellent decision in the interest of customer service. However, the organization failed to provide additional staffing to support this endeavor. AAA expected to use the same number of employees for their expanded workweek leaving the offices short on staff and a low morale amongst its employees. Not to mention longer wait times for members, and a mandatory six day work week for employees. One good business decision led to failure due to unrealistic expectations of the powers that be.

Another challenge the front line employees face is a lack of support from management. This could be due to incompetent managers being placed in these positions. What happened to the days of branch managers having a sufficient amount of knowledge in the operational processes of services offered by the branches? Many of the managers I have encountered lack the basic understanding of AAA policies and procedures concerning key services like DMV, travel services, membership services and so on.

I don't want to disparage upper management, but I must say that those who are in charge of member services and the travel agency have a strong background in insurance services, not in travel or the other core services offered by the branches on a day to day basis. They are the ones who brought the sell sell sell mentality to the branches, forcing our valued DMV experts, cashiers, travel counselors, etc. to become more sales oriented rather than customer service focused. Some managers would not hesitate to sacrifice their knowledgable and skilled professionals if they fail to meet their cross sell goals. I have also seen wages plummet for new hires.

It seems that the branches have a much higher turnover in recent years. Whether or not upper management realizes this, the fact is that the highly trained and skilled staff that AAA has been renowned for is quickly shrinking away. What remains is a revolving door of highly untrained employees left to replace them. Management does not value it's employees. It is time for AAA to remember that good customer service begins within. That means offering good service to its employees by management. Without quality employees the club will decline. This is a not for profit organization. Why is it that all of the high salaries go to upper management while the very face of the company, the front line employees make so little?

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in technology. Listen to your frontline employees. Value the knowledge and experience of your employees as opposed to only caring about cross sell goals. While I have always made my cross sell goals and have a sales aptitude, not every one does and those employees are gems in this organization -- VALUE them!

Honest Review- they do not care about their employees

DSU P & C (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsGood money and lots of leads.

ConsWork/life balance. No respect or appreciation from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.

It gets old and boring after a while.

Accounting (Current Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsThe company is very stable. You won't get fired unless you really mess up. The company is big and there are a lot of young, good looking women. Some of them dress inappropriately to work which doesn't bother me, but it doesn't look very professional.

ConsThere is very little opportunity for growth and the pay is low. Their technology systems are very old and archaic. They can also monitor you when you exit and reenter the building. A lot of employees do very little because there is not a lot of work to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementSponsor some activities like co-ed softball, basketball or bowling after work hours to boost employee morale. The company doesn't want to do anything because it doesn't want to be sued. My suggestion is to have each participant sign a waiver of liability form.

Run away. This is not a company you want to be at.

Software Programmer (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

Pros1.) This company will probably be around a while, because they are an insurance company - they just collect the spread and sit back on pooled cash.
    2.) Non-management workers carry this company on their backs and are the only positives of working for this company. Great people.

Cons1.) Disrespectful, ignorant, short sighted managers make this a miserable company to work for. They're fearful and they' will run YOU over to to save their own skins.

2.) The company's "Technology Infrastructure" is a joke. They barely spend any money on critical equipment, because their ignorant management tells themselves that they're not a technology company; however, once the technology breaks they humorously will run around screaming like children and point fingers and lay blame on the people who were pushing for change and trying to make things better.

3.) Upper management plans to move much of their administrative infrastructure to Dallas, Texas; however, they will probably lie to their employees in Costa Mesa that this isn't happening. It is. 10 years ago, they lied the same way to their staff when one of the departments was outsourced to a vendor. Employees who believe the lies and stick around will probably face a "surprise" and short notice layoff once Dallas is up and fully operational. People in Costa Mesa AO's days are numbered. Please be prepared.

Understand that this is an "old boy's club" and an insulated company. You will not find true career advancement here, you will not receive respect or honesty here, you are not appreciated at this company.

If you've found yourself at this company, and are still young and energetic, I can only give this advice: Get out of here. Make your mark in the world somewhere else. Do something worthwhile with your life. This is a place people go to rot.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know what I could say to these people. They are so completely delusional, conceited, and so far removed from reality that nothing will get through to them other than replacing them completely; but that won't happen. They rigged it so that this company is no longer member owned, but is ruled by an oligarchy of spineless and brainless shrews. We're talking about people who are so narcissistic that they have their lunches brought to them privately on silver platters, have drivers and armed security, and pretend as if they're European royalty. It is both hilarious and sad.

If you have a choice, don't make it this place.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsThe best part of my day is getting to go home when I've put in my 8 hours. Most people leave me alone.

There's usually an annual bonus, but there are limitations on who's eligible. It's nice to have that little something though, but 80 is the new 100.

ConsThat 8 hours? They'll hold you to it. Don't try to take a break unless you plan to make it up on the back end.

The whole place is powered by a massive cult of personality. The executives have a sycophantic reverence to the former CEO, who still resides as the Board Chairman.

On any given day, you more or less have the autonomy to do as you're told.

There is a massive vacuum of leadership because most of the managers have been beaten into submission or were hired because they would tow the line. Don't expect much support.

Do your job and you'll likely get 80% of your bonus for doing 100% of your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a spine. Stand up for your people. Treat us fairly. Enough with the busy work already!

Would not recommend

Policy Service Specialist (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsNot many to be honest. Only pros were meeting a few people I can now call friends

ConsEverything... It's like working in the stone ages with the software systems. Computers are extremely old and tend to break down regularly. When brought up the the call center floor most new hires where not given a permanent desk for months which meant you had to lug your books from desk to desk daily.
    Criticized by supervisors daily on not meeting referral goals. (Not even mentioned in training or in hiring job description that you were required to do so). Not as a Policy Service Specialist. We were told this was the sales department that handles that.
    When asking supervisors questions or guidance you were treated like you were stupid and would brush you off to call the help desk. "So what is your supervisor there for if they don't want to help you).
    Unless you are kissing up to management your job is always on the line. They fire people left and right and instead of getting rid of the people that really aren't performing to the expectations they fire the employes that work their butts off.
    I can't speak for upper management or management in other departments but I will tell you that the supervisors and management in PMG/ISS and membership are horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up your act and get rid of the supervisors you have and start fresh.

Worked for Auto Club of Southern California? Contribute to the Community!