Auto Club of Southern California

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
2.2

Robert T. Bouttier

Pros
  • Good benefits and vacation and time off policies when compared to many companies (in 19 reviews)

• Financially stable company; job security (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst of all is the mediocre upper management resistant to change (in 12 reviews)

• Executives boast about there being no work/life balance whatsoever (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

AAA Policy Service Specialist Claims

Current Employee - Policy Service Specialist Claims in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Policy Service Specialist Claims in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really easy work. Come in, answer the phone and go home no follow up like in the insurance department.

Cons

It is slow to move up from this department. Company puts most of their attention on the Insurance department. Must refer other products and services to people filling home and auto claims, very inconsiderate.

Take management classes. I was surprised to find out that not many supervisors or managers have degrees. You can tell from their lack of professionalism and management skills.

Pretty Decent Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

Lots of talented people exist here. It's a friendly to work environment and they definitely do take care of their talented people.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy gets in the way of making positive improvements unfortunately...

Be more lenient in terms of hours in the building.

A mixed bag - good in some ways, troubled in others. A challenged company.

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

No shortage of funds; won't be going broke anytime soon. Pension plan. Cheap medical insurance. Discounts. Interesting products. Generally good people to work with. Good/cheap on site cafeteria.

Cons

Top management is doing things the same way because, "that's the way we've always done it". Budgets and contracting processes are a full blown, utter nightmare. Departments are extremely silo'd resulting in the right hand/left hand problem. Line management doesnt share agendas or strategies with employees. Only VPs and above have actual approval powers so all decision making is concentrated and bottle necked at the top. Quite a few people are too scared to make proactive decisions because they don't want to be yelled at. Lots of clock punchers.

Hire Deloitte or similar company to re-engineer management structure and process flow. Too much bottle necking of decision making results in wasted time and needless last minute rushes. Don't sit on decision points until the last second then complain that things aren't done yet!

For the first 5 years, the best training you can buy.

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable client base if you consider the law requires folks to have auto insurance.

Cons

Poor innovation, old has been technology, invests rarely in it's facilities for long term innovation.

Go to school, graduate, have a pedigree of success then come back and try again.

Don't care about their people

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good medical insurance. paid training. pension plan. opportunities to move up. Top performing sales people make $120,000 or more. Financially stable company.

Cons

Punitive compensation plan, small mistakes can cost you thousands of dollars per quarter. 6 day work week. no paid time off. Managers that either never did their employees job, or did it only for a short period of time. High turnover rate. Unable to bring in / keep talented people. Terrible software systems. No work life balance. Difficult inter-department interactions.

Senior mgmt needs to retire. Their replacements need to focus on building a better organization by placing value on their people.

Travel Agent

Current Employee - Travel Agent in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Travel Agent in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

No pros, lots of empty promises. The turnover unbelievable.

Cons

The company is ultra conservative. Leadership is very old fashioned and doesn't care about employees. Also their custom base are all elderly and continue to die throughout the years. Loosing more members than gaining.

Fire all upper management and get some fresh, innovative minds with new ideas.

The company as a whole is about 40 years behind...

Pros

Great co-workers
    Management is willing to listen to feedback
    Stable Company
    Good Benefits with company paid pension plan

Cons

Although management listens and sympathizes with complaints no changes are ever implemented
    No opportunities for growth in my area- I'd have to move
    Pay is not great, annual raises are virtually non-existent
    Negative changes to work process that are not effective uses of time

I HATE MY JOB!

Current Employee - Insurance Customer Service Representative -Policy Specialist Service I in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

I've been with the company for awhile now, working for this job is terrible, not flexible what so ever! Only perk is that AAA will pay for your Personal License Lines.

Cons

No one at the company is friendly, no one smiles all gloomy and down. Its like most of my co-workers only stick around for the pay.

I would have to say its more about advice to those who are looking, and reading this review. AAA is not a great company to work for, you would think because they been around for so long that they would be great to work for but nope. I applied for a Insurance Customer Service Rep, when I was hired that was my title, once on board it was switched to Policy Specialist Service 1. Management lied about a lot of things, you ask if this job has a high turn over, and they say no, but once done with training asked again and finally get the truth, of course a high turn over, since every month theres a job fair. Policy Specialist Service 1 is just a high paid telemarketer. AAA doesn't care about customers, they rather gain a sale then provide excellent customer service. They put too much pressure about reaching goals that aren't realistic, not even there supervisors can reach those goals. Best of luck anyone who wants to jump on board.

I hate everything

Current Employee - ERS Representative in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - ERS Representative in Long Beach, CA

Pros

Nothing is good about this company

Cons

Everything is bad about this company

Fire all management and start over.

Bad management.

Pros

The front line and non-management employees carry this company on their backs and the technology part of the company is stable work.

Cons

Bad management in the IT department. Overall, the managers at this company are some of the worst I've ever worked with in my entire life.

There are some exceptions that I ran into in the IT department: The help desk manager and the "open systems" manager exhibited the traits of leaders. As far as I can see though, everyone else above and below them are terrible leaders. Lots of talking in this company, but not much useful action.

Google and flip through Forbes' and Harvard's lists of what makes a bad manager, bad HR, and bad company to work for, and the Autoclub of Southern California pretty much fits the bill for all listed traits of a badly managed company. I hear people try to excuse the bad management with words like "old school", "conservative", and "Mom and Pop"

I've worked for large conservative multinational corporations and I've worked for small startups: The autoclub isn't "conservative" or "mom and pop" it is a bluntly badly managed when it comes to running a company that people want to work for.

A few examples of bad leadership:
    1.) Rather than listening to sound advice and implementing a competent disaster recovery process, the idiots in middle management are stuffing their DR portfolio with useless features and jargon simply to impress upper management overlords.
    2.) The company brought in ITIL consultants years ago to break down silos and possibly build a more efficient IT department, but, after seeing how far they are from an efficient company they are and how much work it would take to change in a positive way, upper management simply decided that ITIL "wasn't for them." Pretty much an excuse to remain mediocre and inefficient.
    3.) This company rewards mediocrity. Ideas and innovation are viewed with skepticism and negativity.
    4.) I kept seeing cronyism and nepotism rampant in this company. They aren't about doing right with the customer. They're about stroking off the ego of the person above them.
    5.) These people keep getting SUED by employees. What's their response? They buckle down to become more bureaucratic, less efficient, and more fearful of their own employees. Clueless dolts.
    6.) Management has parking spots that's right next to the doors. Non-management employees have a long walk and have NO covered parking at all. It's a slight inconvenience, but it is actually a HUGE showcase of how far gone the company bosses are here: Managers aren't your working colleagues. They're your Lords. Non-management employees are Peasants. This is exclusionary and toxic thinking.
    7.) Regularly, I listen in on clueless managers ranting at employees rather than guiding employees. Why? Because many managers sure can't do the job, so they can't give their workers any guidance. All they can do is nitpick on what little things they can.

I'll summarize this company in a few phrases:
    - Toxic culture
    - Toxic management that isolates themselves
    - No respect for an employee’s time, creative input, or industry experience

My advice to YOU the reader:
    - If you’re at the autoclub, and confident in your skills but frustrated by management, start looking around for other work. It’s tempting to buckle down and stay there, but, believe me, I’ve had nothing but a positive experience after quitting. The autoclub, in its current state, is a miserable place to be.
    - If you’re looking for work at the autoclub, then congrats on doing your due diligence. If you accept the job offer, go in expecting what I’ve posted about. These issues are company wide and is culture here.

During salary negotiations, ask for as much as you can, because you're stuck once you're in. What you have to deal with is probably not going to be worth it either.

They're slowly moving over all operations to a brand new mega office they've built out in Dallas, Texas. Maybe the company culture can change over in Texas. If not, employees who make the move to Texas will find ample job opportunities in Texas. It could be a win-win situation.

1.) If you don't take care of your employees, they won't take care of the company.
    2.) I'm sure you're more interested in finding out who the employees posting these reviews are rather than listen to what everyone is saying: this is part of the problem with YOU people.
    3.) The company continues to move along in spite of you, not because of you. The company needs to change direction ASAP.
    4.) "Attention to retention" shouldn't just pertain to your customers...there is a reason customers are leaving and employees are leaving.
    5.) Maybe start listening to the consultants you hire. And if you can't, please get the hell out. Get some fresh blood and perspective in upper management, because all I see is a bunch corrupt old farts.

Auto Club of Southern California Photos