Auto Club of Southern California

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
2.3

Robert T. Bouttier

Pros
  • Good benefits and vacation and time off policies when compared to many companies (in 19 reviews)

• Financially stable company; job security (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst of all is the mediocre upper management resistant to change (in 12 reviews)

• Executives boast about there being no work/life balance whatsoever (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Exit Review

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

An excellent worker. Ron has saved the Automobile Club over one million dollars. He works very hard and completes all of his assignments by the deadline. What ever assignment is given to Ron he completes it. without any questions. Ron is a hard worker and works very well with al employees in the Purchasing Department and all other employees in all Administrative and Field offices. Ron is a General Senior Buyer and is very well liked by the employees in other offices. Ron was the Purchasing Man Of The Year in 1988 with the Purchasing Management Association Orange County Chapter in Public Relations. Ron will be a hard employee to replace.

Cons

Ron works slow on the computer, but he stays after hours until the reports are completed. without any errors.This is usually at the end of the month.

Ron can be an asset with your company. He will always get the best price and have a Cost Savings too. Ron is a very hard worker and gets along with all employees and Vendor Account Representatives. Ron can be a very hard worker plus will complete all assignments without questions. I would recommend Ron for this position.

Claims Service Representative

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

Great benefits throughout including great Health/Dental, etc.
    Great starting pay at 42,000
    Promotion from a "I" to a "II" serves a great percentage of salary increase.
    Great room for advancement and a lot of opportunities in the Claims Department alone

Cons

Job can be stressful, since you're investigating accidents. You deal with attorneys, some stressful members.
    The raises are a joke and it hardly catches up with the cost of living
    Quite a bit of goals to meet in order for you to meet the highest available raise increase, including your yearly bonus. Don't meet the goals, you don't get a bonus and a very low increase in your wage.

Encourage development and do not discourage advancement. Also, give your employees a better raise to meet or exceed the cost of living.

Claims adjuster

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

Great health benefits, paid vacation and sick days

Cons

Overworked in a high stress environment with unrealistically high member service expectations

Bad Managment

Current Employee - Project Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can work a 40 hour week and go home at the end of the day.

Cons

Non-innovative, old fashioned. Really poor management. Management fears being fully transparent. Upper management rules with fear instead of reward.

Get your head of the sand and handle the issues.

Unrealistic Expectations

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people that I work with and the team atmosphere in my office. The company also offers great benefits.

Cons

The pay isn't nearly enough for everything we have to put up with on a day to day basis with dealing with the public. They also expect us to reach outrageous goals that increase annually.

Allow employees to do their jobs without hovering and reprimanding every innocent action. Also be understanding of the employees needs and not just the needs of the organization.

Fun yet very stressful and scary.

Former Employee - Ers1 in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Ers1 in Burbank, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They're big on PTO. Corporate. Likes to reward their employees heavily with daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly gift cards. More Gift cards for working certain hours on certain days, for performance, for being part of a team. Snack bar available within the office. Office lunches provided sometimes twice a week, but at least once a month. Other benefits provided 401k, pension, health insurance: dental, vision, and PPO or HMO. If working on swing shift employees get a 11% differential based on their hourly rate. If working grave yard shift it is 15% differential based on the employee's hourly rate. Plenty of overtime available, if you need a certain day off in the future but your work schedule doesn't allow it you can always trade days with someone else. other benefits available are heavily discounted prices on yearly passes to most theme parks. Great environment with other coworkers a lot of fun.

Cons

Because the job is based on performance you are constantly reminded that you could get fired or be put on probation ( if placed on probation you are excluded from any Bonuses your team or as an individual can receive). Although 401k and pension is available most if not all employees have to wait for a year before they start applying funds. Which doesn't matter anyway because they have a very high turnover rate most employees are fired in 5 months or less than a year. Even if you were there for 5 years you can still get fired based on poor performance. A supervisor who needed to work 5 years more to retire was fired because of her team's performance. A lot of office politics.

They have an odd breaking system. If not understood early on, this can impede your performance greatly. Even if the customer need you to stay on the line and your break happens to fall in that time frame but company policy you cannot hang up the phone or transfer the call. You must stay with the customer until the task is complete. This too will be based on your job performance if you skip your break because of this it is your fault but not the customer.

I know I reviewed this job 2 stars because although they reward you heavily on your job, if you are constantly abused it doesn't matter how many perks the job has. After a while you become so stressed out and constantly worried about getting fired.

Even if you performed a certain task correctly but the customer becomes unsatisfied based on the service that they received from a third party or from the employee himself / herself. Management will see to it that you get a written warning, a one on one meeting with your team supervisor or a one on one meeting with the floor supervisor. Even if the evidence proves that you did your job correctly because it is the job of the employee to satisfy the customer.

To investigate why does the company have a high turnover rate. To disallow management in reprimanding employees for doing the job correctly. To hear the concerns and opinions of lower level employees on how to complete the job faster, easier, and efficiently.

high stress job

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

good money and benefits and cafeteria

Cons

high stress-agents are walked out on a daily basis after years of time on the job. no job stability

get up to date with technology
    don't intimidate your staff

AAA Policy Service Specialist Claims

Current Employee - Policy Service Specialist Claims in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Policy Service Specialist Claims in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really easy work. Come in, answer the phone and go home no follow up like in the insurance department.

Cons

It is slow to move up from this department. Company puts most of their attention on the Insurance department. Must refer other products and services to people filling home and auto claims, very inconsiderate.

Take management classes. I was surprised to find out that not many supervisors or managers have degrees. You can tell from their lack of professionalism and management skills.

I hated it.

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

Upper management is composed of good businesspeople who are aware of the bottom line, and because of this the company is always on a strong footing. From a worker's perspective, I was never inundated with job duties, and the pay was okay.

Cons

The entire corporate culture is rooted firmly in the 1950s. It is exceedingly conservative, and if you're a free spirit, that's very difficult. If you're vision of the world is based on "Father Knows Best" or "Leave It To Beaver," this place is heaven. The rest of us had to swallow hard and forge ahead.

Upper management is standoffish. In my five years there, the head guy never once stopped by m department to say hello. Not ONCE. Like most of my co-workers, I was treated as a number only.

Get on a time machine and get at least somewhat close to the new millennium.

Don't work here

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in San Diego, CA

Pros

Benefits are good, they have a pension and great brand recognition, good training and huge database for leads and the pay for your license

Cons

No paid vacation or sick time, expected to work over 50 hours a week, horrible comp plan that benefits the company by basing your pay on how "accurate " you are with your paperwork

Who cares they arent gonna listen anyway

Auto Club of Southern California Photos