Auto Club of Southern California

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014
2.2

Robert T. Bouttier

Pros
  • Good benefits and vacation and time off policies when compared to many companies (in 19 reviews)

• Financially stable company; job security (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • it is the boys club aka Upper management could care less about you (in 14 reviews)

• Executives boast about there being no work/life balance whatsoever (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

The company as a whole is about 40 years behind...

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Management is willing to listen to feedback
    Stable Company
    Good Benefits with company paid pension plan

Cons

Although management listens and sympathizes with complaints no changes are ever implemented
    No opportunities for growth in my area- I'd have to move
    Pay is not great, annual raises are virtually non-existent
    Negative changes to work process that are not effective uses of time

Bad management.

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The front line and non-management employees carry this company on their backs and the technology part of the company is stable work.

Cons

Bad management in the IT department. Overall, the managers at this company are some of the worst I've ever worked with in my entire life.

There are some exceptions that I ran into in the IT department: The help desk manager and the "open systems" manager exhibited the traits of leaders. As far as I can see though, everyone else above and below them are terrible leaders. Lots of talking in this company, but not much useful action.

Google and flip through Forbes' and Harvard's lists of what makes a bad manager, bad HR, and bad company to work for, and the Autoclub of Southern California pretty much fits the bill for all listed traits of a badly managed company. I hear people try to excuse the bad management with words like "old school", "conservative", and "Mom and Pop"

I've worked for large conservative multinational corporations and I've worked for small startups: The autoclub isn't "conservative" or "mom and pop" it is a bluntly badly managed when it comes to running a company that people want to work for.

A few examples of bad leadership:
    1.) Rather than listening to sound advice and implementing a competent disaster recovery process, the idiots in middle management are stuffing their DR portfolio with useless features and jargon simply to impress upper management overlords.
    2.) The company brought in ITIL consultants years ago to break down silos and possibly build a more efficient IT department, but, after seeing how far they are from an efficient company they are and how much work it would take to change in a positive way, upper management simply decided that ITIL "wasn't for them." Pretty much an excuse to remain mediocre and inefficient.
    3.) This company rewards mediocrity. Ideas and innovation are viewed with skepticism and negativity.
    4.) I kept seeing cronyism and nepotism rampant in this company. They aren't about doing right with the customer. They're about stroking off the ego of the person above them.
    5.) These people keep getting SUED by employees. What's their response? They buckle down to become more bureaucratic, less efficient, and more fearful of their own employees. Clueless dolts.
    6.) Management has parking spots that's right next to the doors. Non-management employees have a long walk and have NO covered parking at all. It's a slight inconvenience, but it is actually a HUGE showcase of how far gone the company bosses are here: Managers aren't your working colleagues. They're your Lords. Non-management employees are Peasants. This is exclusionary and toxic thinking.
    7.) Regularly, I listen in on clueless managers ranting at employees rather than guiding employees. Why? Because many managers sure can't do the job, so they can't give their workers any guidance. All they can do is nitpick on what little things they can.

I'll summarize this company in a few phrases:
    - Toxic culture
    - Toxic management that isolates themselves
    - No respect for an employee’s time, creative input, or industry experience

My advice to YOU the reader:
    - If you’re at the autoclub, and confident in your skills but frustrated by management, start looking around for other work. It’s tempting to buckle down and stay there, but, believe me, I’ve had nothing but a positive experience after quitting. The autoclub, in its current state, is a miserable place to be.
    - If you’re looking for work at the autoclub, then congrats on doing your due diligence. If you accept the job offer, go in expecting what I’ve posted about. These issues are company wide and is culture here.

During salary negotiations, ask for as much as you can, because you're stuck once you're in. What you have to deal with is probably not going to be worth it either.

They're slowly moving over all operations to a brand new mega office they've built out in Dallas, Texas. Maybe the company culture can change over in Texas. If not, employees who make the move to Texas will find ample job opportunities in Texas. It could be a win-win situation.

1.) If you don't take care of your employees, they won't take care of the company.
    2.) I'm sure you're more interested in finding out who the employees posting these reviews are rather than listen to what everyone is saying: this is part of the problem with YOU people.
    3.) The company continues to move along in spite of you, not because of you. The company needs to change direction ASAP.
    4.) "Attention to retention" shouldn't just pertain to your customers...there is a reason customers are leaving and employees are leaving.
    5.) Maybe start listening to the consultants you hire. And if you can't, please get the hell out. Get some fresh blood and perspective in upper management, because all I see is a bunch corrupt old farts.

Conservative, Unprofessional

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Decent work hours, discount with insurance

Cons

Management is resistant to change, not all management is experienced. Seems to be who you know now what you know. Salaries are low, experience doesn't mean much because they keep you down so they don't have to give you a raise or promote you.

Respect your people. Open your eyes to those, who want to make the company better, not status quo.

Claims Representative II

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster II in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster II in Valencia, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are generally okay but each year the benefits are less than the year before.

Cons

Management is unprofessional. Many of the managers have been there for years and if you are a favorite you can get away with anything and the more rules you break the faster you will be promoted.

Hire management from outside of the company to shake up the status quo.

Not the best choice of employer I have made.

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Bakersfield, CA

Pros

Pay can be good when business is coming in. If you are in a good office location you can get a lot of business.

Cons

The sales offices have a copy cat mentality. If one office is successful, they expect every office to do what that office has done. Management doesn't put enough time into getting to know there employees. Highly competitive sales environment, commission only and everyone is out for themselves.

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

Dreams big. Stays ahead of curve in competitive business. People are full of knowledge. Investing in tech.

Cons

Bureaucracy of dealing with execs. Some execs can be difficult to work for but they do great work. They set processes that look good on paper but create busy work that takes away from more important work.

Ask for input before a process change is made. Limit the bureaucracy. Keep valuing the employees. They are the backbone.

Insurance Sales

Former Employee - Field Sales Agent in Escondido, CA
    Former Employee - Field Sales Agent in Escondido, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, nice office and co-workers. Good income potential and great benefits.

Cons

Sales job so you have a quota and management can be on you if your numbers are low.

Need to motivate and be more positive.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Policy Service Specialist in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Policy Service Specialist in Irving, TX

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent training program.
    Good pay.
    Great facilities with a gym, and nice food court.
    Covered parking.

Cons

I had a bad manager but most of the managers were great.

Used Car Lot

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits and the people I worked with. You can make decent money here but you'll be stressed out beyond belief

Cons

Its a survival of the fittest there. Just a bunch of shady managers from bottom to top.

Get a clue and quit screwing your employees.

Policy Management Group

Current Employee - Policy Management Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Policy Management Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Full-time job with benefits. No experience needed. Training from the ground-up.

Cons

Treated like a number. Management only cares about the bottom-line. It is all about getting the member to purchase another form of insurance (or what management calls benefits). It was once suggested by a supervisor that if an insured was having a hard time paying their current auto insurance bill, to offer them another policy, like homeowner's. Because they can get a discount. Bare in mind a deposit is needed to start any policy with AAA, and the disount may only be a few dollars. It didn't feel right.

We are harassed about keeping time spent off the phone in between calls to minimum of two minutes. It's this type of culture that causes reps to move on to the next call without resolving the problem on the current policy. I've received calls from livid members stating that this is the 3rd or 4th time they've called about the same problem.

That's not a sign of good customer service.

Get your proprieties straight. Treat your employees with respect. Maybe they won't be so miserable. Then they can do a better job at helping the members. Stop looking for the next buck to make off your current members, and focus on providing great service.

Auto Club of Southern California Photos