Auto Club of Southern California

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.3

Robert T. Bouttier

Pros
  • Competitive salary with very good benefits (in 15 reviews)

• Financially stable company; job security (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst of all is the mediocre upper management resistant to change (in 11 reviews)

• call center and he was telling me how to take calls despite my years of experience (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Insurance Sales

Former Employee - Field Sales Agent  in  Escondido, CA
    Former Employee - Field Sales Agent in Escondido, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to work for, nice office and co-workers. Good income potential and great benefits.

Cons

Sales job so you have a quota and management can be on you if your numbers are low.

Need to motivate and be more positive.

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

Dreams big. Stays ahead of curve in competitive business. People are full of knowledge. Investing in tech.

Cons

Bureaucracy of dealing with execs. Some execs can be difficult to work for but they do great work. They set processes that look good on paper but create busy work that takes away from more important work.

Ask for input before a process change is made. Limit the bureaucracy. Keep valuing the employees. They are the backbone.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Policy Service Specialist  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Policy Service Specialist in Irving, TX

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent training program.
    Good pay.
    Great facilities with a gym, and nice food court.
    Covered parking.

Cons

I had a bad manager but most of the managers were great.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Should have left years ago

Former Employee - Clerk  in  Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stability. Full-time. Lots of locations.

Cons

You are not a person when you work here. You are a number. it is the boys club aka Upper management could care less about you. I worked for 7 years, 5 of them 6 days a week Monday- Friday 845-600 and saturdays 945-3. my ONLY day off was Sunday. I was never thanked or recognized for this by management.

Have a heart & soul.

Glad its Over

Current Employee - SALES CLERK  in  Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Full-time, Med Benefits. Lost of Locations

Cons

You are not a person when you work here you are a number and upper management could careless about you

have a heart

Management needs a professional makeover

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The office that I worked in was family oriented so the very nice coworkers were, for the most part, the highlight of the job. The company invests in ongoing education giving its employees opportunities to be trained into other departments if they wish.

Cons

Management was constantly harping on quotas...even when you meet them. There was also a clear effort in the show of favoritism. Salaries are not competitive and work-life balance was almost non existent.

Stop picking on the stuff that's irrelevant and focus on the bottom line. Learn to praise the best employees without making the rest (especially new employees) feel invisible. Everyone in your office contributes to the bottom line in either a big or small way. A little encouragement goes along way in bringing out the best in the ENTIRE staff.

Looks good from the outside....

Pros

The Company provides wonderful, helpful products and services. The legacy of the company is legendary in that it almost crumbled until it was revived and thriving by the prior CEO. The company provides a decent type of retirement plan (depending on the number of years you have with the firm) it's pretty unheard of in the industry. The 401k is decent and they match contributions, which is not alway so with other firms. Most of the people working there are good people, there are a few "hangers on" who need to get going and retire.

Cons

Unfortunately, the legacy management gets in the way of literally every decision made-there is no autonomy to do your job, it is consistently micro-managed from the top down. The software utilized is outdated and virtually impossible to use due to the many road blocks for requesting upgrades and existing firewalls. The software is (no joke) from 1997. Work/life balance is not respected here, people are expected to work harder not smarter with a measly (if you are lucky) 2-3% pay raise annually. The base salaries offered are much less than the competitors, however the benefits they sell you on are "great"...but what they never tell you is you will not be granted annual raises for multiple years because they say your that the "top level" of your market position (yes from a 2002 database) it's not much of a consolation. The Culture is that you "bleed" auto club blue-and literally you do, you are so tired of fighting the system, you just go with the program and dumb yourself down to work here.

Retain top talent-and know how to compensate them for doing well.
    Get rid of legacy managers who have been left in departments far to long as pawns to be submissive and do as Sr. Management says, not what is the "right thing to do" to grow or improve business.
    Listen to outside employees who are experts in the field you hired them-there's a reason we worked somewhere else for years and not JUST within the Auto Club bubble.
    Upgrade the computer systems-they're a joke to everyone working there.
    Weed out the "hangers on" who are just sitting there collecting a check and waiting for retirement. They are not performing to their full potential, it drags us productive young people down and makes is want to run for the hills.

Great company, lousy life insurance division.

Current Employee - Life Agent  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Life Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health Insurance plan is awesome, majority of co - workers in branch are nice.

Cons

Life insurance division gets no respect, underwriting is terrible, commission structure stinks and managers are like robots who drink the company cool-aid, and their mangers are old fossils who are out of touch with reality. If you like to be micro-managed then this is the place to work. Lots of turnover. Good people get terminated and the dishonest agents get rewarded.

When you ask for suggestions from your field agents, be sincere with the responses rather than giving your canned responses and basically dismissing what we have to say. We are in the field , YOU are not, and our sales managers could not sell a policy or make the required 5 weekly appointments if their lives depended
    upon it. The regional meetings are a waste of time, and the team division meetings are even worse. There is no substance.
    There is a reason why the same teams finish at the bottom every month- "The Managers" (but they never get terminated or rotated to another division).

Wonderful Travel Company

Former Employee - Training Specialist III  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Training Specialist III in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very Competitive and likely to stay in travel industry a very long time

Cons

Needs Flexile schedule with employees

Lower commissions standards for all employees

AAA

Former Employee - Branch Specialist Ll  in  Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Branch Specialist Ll in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers were great! Very good training program.

Cons

Managers were very nice but seemed to change the rules quite often. A lot of up selling, must meet sales goals which I was not told during the interview or hiring process.

Worked for Auto Club of Southern California? Contribute to the Community!