Auto Club of Southern California
www.calif.aaa.com Los Angeles, CA 5000+ Employees

Auto Club of Southern California Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Robert T. Bouttier

Pros:
  • "Competitive salary with very good benefits"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Stable company, decent benefits"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Worst of all is the mediocre upper management resistant to change"
    in 10 reviews
  • "No room for growth, no perks, no respect from managers"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked for the e-business group and they were a great team. The work seemed stressful on many occasions and there were various team members, namely project managers, that made things tough, but overall the team was great. And especially the managers in the e-business team. This was a great team to work with.

ConsNo flexibility to work from home and have to deal with certain non-team players but they are manageable if you work with the managers.

As a company it's great to work for but the co is technologically behind

Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsVariable pay, pension plan, health benefits. It's a stable company. Nice that the agency has locations in 10 plus states across the country.

ConsToo much red tape. Have no autonomy to make local decisions. Very culturally different than the Midwest states. Fell like we are very behind in technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdapt to all cultures.

Good Company with fairly long hours and outdated technology but you can make good money.

Field Sales Agent (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsClient base is friendly and the days go by quickly with a pleasant work environment

Cons10 hour days are normal every other Saturday mandatory for the most part. Old technology and inefficient processes which make it hard to focus on selling.

Advice to Senior ManagementIllicit feedback from agents in order to improve processes and concentrate more on work-life balance. Need to become innovative and adapt with the time or pretty soon the main customer base will be too old to drive.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Eh

Prosmoney and easy to make as much as u want. team can be cooporative

Conswork/life balance is hard when working long hours to make sure you hit numbers

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to agents

I enjoyed working here; there's definitely some job security in most positions.

ERS (Former Employee)
    Long Beach, CA

ProsThere's good camraderie and team building environment.

Conshard to move up the ladder. Response time to a new application to transfer to another dept takes a long time. Unexpected issues with call center operations can bog down ones tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give employees more offline tasks, or things to help them learn something new so they can increase their potential in moving up.

Glad to be gone

Policy Service Specialist (Call Center) (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat employee appreciation events. Management is always feeding us something, whether it be donuts, pizza, tamales, etc. They have lots of pot lucks, and always do something for most major holidays. If you need the money, there's always overtime available. Mellow work environment; no one looking over your shoulder at all times.

ConsGood luck getting a promotion. Most promotions are based on numbers only. If you have good survey scores and referral numbers expect recognition and promotions. If not, you're just another worker bee. Newbies who know less than you and have less experience than you are now your superiors and can't help you when you need it most. The company stresses customer satisfaction/retention and "legendary service", yet they do little to help you achieve those goals. They are desperately understaffed when it comes to call center supervisors and underwriters, making your job more stressful and many customers rarely satisfied. This affects bonuses and service scores, performance reviews, and pay increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP saying you're about customer/member satisfaction when you really only care about numbers. Your main concern is the numbers produced by the worker bees. Everything else is negligible.

I don't recommed it.

Policy Service Specialist (Current Employee)
    Santa Ana, CA

ProsBeautiful campus in Santa Ana. But that's the only thing good I can say about it.

ConsAs a Policy Service Specialist management would rather have you sell, sell, sell (as in referrals) then provide "Legandary Sevice" to existing members.

Advice to Senior ManagementHeed the advice you teach in training.....Great service comes before upselling.

What Happened to "Not for Profit"?

Travel Agent (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsBrand recognition and excellent reputation as an organization that has existed for more than 100 years.

ConsI have seen many changes in this organization over the years, and while I am not adverse to change, I am against NEGATIVE change. I have seen the emphasis go from a culture of providing excellent customer service based on the needs of its members to one primarily focused on profits, even at the expense of poor employee morale and customer service.

One example of this is when ACSC made the decision to expand its operational hours at every branch office to its members a few years ago. When they instituted every AAA office a Saturday office, it was an excellent decision in the interest of customer service. However, the organization failed to provide additional staffing to support this endeavor. AAA expected to use the same number of employees for their expanded workweek leaving the offices short on staff and a low morale amongst its employees. Not to mention longer wait times for members, and a mandatory six day work week for employees. One good business decision led to failure due to unrealistic expectations of the powers that be.

Another challenge the front line employees face is a lack of support from management. This could be due to incompetent managers being placed in these positions. What happened to the days of branch managers having a sufficient amount of knowledge in the operational processes of services offered by the branches? Many of the managers I have encountered lack the basic understanding of AAA policies and procedures concerning key services like DMV, travel services, membership services and so on.

I don't want to disparage upper management, but I must say that those who are in charge of member services and the travel agency have a strong background in insurance services, not in travel or the other core services offered by the branches on a day to day basis. They are the ones who brought the sell sell sell mentality to the branches, forcing our valued DMV experts, cashiers, travel counselors, etc. to become more sales oriented rather than customer service focused. Some managers would not hesitate to sacrifice their knowledgable and skilled professionals if they fail to meet their cross sell goals. I have also seen wages plummet for new hires.

It seems that the branches have a much higher turnover in recent years. Whether or not upper management realizes this, the fact is that the highly trained and skilled staff that AAA has been renowned for is quickly shrinking away. What remains is a revolving door of highly untrained employees left to replace them. Management does not value it's employees. It is time for AAA to remember that good customer service begins within. That means offering good service to its employees by management. Without quality employees the club will decline. This is a not for profit organization. Why is it that all of the high salaries go to upper management while the very face of the company, the front line employees make so little?

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in technology. Listen to your frontline employees. Value the knowledge and experience of your employees as opposed to only caring about cross sell goals. While I have always made my cross sell goals and have a sales aptitude, not every one does and those employees are gems in this organization -- VALUE them!

Only work here if you've gotten a lobotomy

(Current Employee)

ProsIt's really hard to get fired, as represented by the high volume of incompetent people that work here.

ConsOutdated technology
    Upper management is clueless
    Treats employees horribly
    For bonuses if you get "achieves" on your goals the max you get is 80%
    No real training, or room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.

Run away. This is not a company you want to be at.

Software Programmer (Former Employee)
    Costa Mesa, CA

Pros1.) This company will probably be around a while, because they are an insurance company - they just collect the spread and sit back on pooled cash.
    2.) Non-management workers carry this company on their backs and are the only positives of working for this company. Great people.

Cons1.) Disrespectful, ignorant, short sighted managers make this a miserable company to work for. They're fearful and they' will run YOU over to to save their own skins.

2.) The company's "Technology Infrastructure" is a joke. They barely spend any money on critical equipment, because their ignorant management tells themselves that they're not a technology company; however, once the technology breaks they humorously will run around screaming like children and point fingers and lay blame on the people who were pushing for change and trying to make things better.

3.) Upper management plans to move much of their administrative infrastructure to Dallas, Texas; however, they will probably lie to their employees in Costa Mesa that this isn't happening. It is. 10 years ago, they lied the same way to their staff when one of the departments was outsourced to a vendor. Employees who believe the lies and stick around will probably face a "surprise" and short notice layoff once Dallas is up and fully operational. People in Costa Mesa AO's days are numbered. Please be prepared.

Understand that this is an "old boy's club" and an insulated company. You will not find true career advancement here, you will not receive respect or honesty here, you are not appreciated at this company.

If you've found yourself at this company, and are still young and energetic, I can only give this advice: Get out of here. Make your mark in the world somewhere else. Do something worthwhile with your life. This is a place people go to rot.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know what I could say to these people. They are so completely delusional, conceited, and so far removed from reality that nothing will get through to them other than replacing them completely; but that won't happen. They rigged it so that this company is no longer member owned, but is ruled by an oligarchy of spineless and brainless shrews. We're talking about people who are so narcissistic that they have their lunches brought to them privately on silver platters, have drivers and armed security, and pretend as if they're European royalty. It is both hilarious and sad.

Worked for Auto Club of Southern California? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Auto Club of Southern California reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Auto Club of Southern California CEO Robert T. Bouttier. All 134 reviews posted anonymously by Auto Club of Southern California employees.