Auto Club of Southern California

Employer Engaged

Don't work here

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good, they have a pension and great brand recognition, good training and huge database for leads and the pay for your license

Cons

No paid vacation or sick time, expected to work over 50 hours a week, horrible comp plan that benefits the company by basing your pay on how "accurate " you are with your paperwork

Who cares they arent gonna listen anyway

Bad Managment

Current Employee - Project Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can work a 40 hour week and go home at the end of the day.

Cons

Non-innovative, old fashioned. Really poor management. Management fears being fully transparent. Upper management rules with fear instead of reward.

Get your head of the sand and handle the issues.

Worst Company I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent (As DSU and Branch) in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent (As DSU and Branch) in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

They treat their customer well.
    They have a good auto/home insurance product.
    They have a reputable brand name.

Cons

Employees are not treated well, i.e., no Christmas Party. When I was a trainee, the treat for us (as viewed by corporate) was to let us tour the executive floor and then they gave a cookie after (I am dead serious).

Their pay structure for insurance agent is unfair, i.e. no residual payment. They grade their insurance policy A, B, and C. A being least risky and C a high risk. An A policy would usually consist of a family that owns a home; drives new but not luxury cars (toyota, ford, nissan, etc...); no citation or accidents; coverage is for high liability with high deductible for collision and comp. For this type of policy, an agent can expect to make between $100 to $300. Unfortunately these kinds of policy are hard.

Most commons policy are the C policies. These policies consists of new drivers, licensed less than 5 years; high mileage drivers; drivers with citations or accidents within last 3 years; renters with liability coverage only. These high risk policy usually are very expensive ( can range from 1k to 3k); however, you make very little. An agent can expect to make about $10 to $30 for a C policy. This can be frustrating when you write a $3000 C policy and get $30 for it.

To make it worst, AAA audit your policy. How much you make depends on your "Accuracy" Scorecard and the grade of your policy. The accuracy is based on what you report about the driver and what they auditor reported about the driver. For example, let's say you spoke the driver and she told you she drives 6k a year, and then the auditor calls the driver and she tell him that she drives 8k a year, you get dinged.

A 100% accuracy rating means that you can get 100% of that $30 C policy that you wrote; however, there are very few agents that have 100% accuracy. Most agents hangs around 80 to 85 %.

Nepotism (favoritism) is rampant in AAA. It is also a very hostile corporate environment. It is not uncommon to find unethical employees moving up the ranks.

It is useless to give any advice; they will go unheeded. Most likely you will get punished.

Unrealistic Expectations

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people that I work with and the team atmosphere in my office. The company also offers great benefits.

Cons

The pay isn't nearly enough for everything we have to put up with on a day to day basis with dealing with the public. They also expect us to reach outrageous goals that increase annually.

Allow employees to do their jobs without hovering and reprimanding every innocent action. Also be understanding of the employees needs and not just the needs of the organization.

Overall company

Current Employee - Member Services in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Member Services in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

Wow. loss of words at that question. Benefits maybe?

Cons

This is the worst company I have ever worked for and I have done call center customer service for 30 + years, including supervisor. HEY GUESS WHAT sups, mentor, instead of beating down. You only care about your bonuses, and not us. Customer service, not pushing products. Get an irate member on the line, and "oh sure sir, can I sell you something: They know nothing about timing and discretion. Well, of course how could they( the supervisors) With the exception of a few, most of our supervisors are too busy with their headphones on, listening to calls from the past. Hey, what about dealing with problems at that moment. Cancellations would probably be a lot fewer if we had some sort of role models. . Also. you cannot look at someone the wrong way, and not fear being fired. This is a very hostile and unhealthful work environment

quit picking supervisors to fill the void with the "temporary Supervisor" bit. We are not stupid and we know that was just so you did not have to advertise.

Fun yet very stressful and scary.

Former Employee - Ers1 in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Ers1 in Burbank, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They're big on PTO. Corporate. Likes to reward their employees heavily with daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly gift cards. More Gift cards for working certain hours on certain days, for performance, for being part of a team. Snack bar available within the office. Office lunches provided sometimes twice a week, but at least once a month. Other benefits provided 401k, pension, health insurance: dental, vision, and PPO or HMO. If working on swing shift employees get a 11% differential based on their hourly rate. If working grave yard shift it is 15% differential based on the employee's hourly rate. Plenty of overtime available, if you need a certain day off in the future but your work schedule doesn't allow it you can always trade days with someone else. other benefits available are heavily discounted prices on yearly passes to most theme parks. Great environment with other coworkers a lot of fun.

Cons

Because the job is based on performance you are constantly reminded that you could get fired or be put on probation ( if placed on probation you are excluded from any Bonuses your team or as an individual can receive). Although 401k and pension is available most if not all employees have to wait for a year before they start applying funds. Which doesn't matter anyway because they have a very high turnover rate most employees are fired in 5 months or less than a year. Even if you were there for 5 years you can still get fired based on poor performance. A supervisor who needed to work 5 years more to retire was fired because of her team's performance. A lot of office politics.

They have an odd breaking system. If not understood early on, this can impede your performance greatly. Even if the customer need you to stay on the line and your break happens to fall in that time frame but company policy you cannot hang up the phone or transfer the call. You must stay with the customer until the task is complete. This too will be based on your job performance if you skip your break because of this it is your fault but not the customer.

I know I reviewed this job 2 stars because although they reward you heavily on your job, if you are constantly abused it doesn't matter how many perks the job has. After a while you become so stressed out and constantly worried about getting fired.

Even if you performed a certain task correctly but the customer becomes unsatisfied based on the service that they received from a third party or from the employee himself / herself. Management will see to it that you get a written warning, a one on one meeting with your team supervisor or a one on one meeting with the floor supervisor. Even if the evidence proves that you did your job correctly because it is the job of the employee to satisfy the customer.

To investigate why does the company have a high turnover rate. To disallow management in reprimanding employees for doing the job correctly. To hear the concerns and opinions of lower level employees on how to complete the job faster, easier, and efficiently.

For the first 5 years, the best training you can buy.

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable client base if you consider the law requires folks to have auto insurance.

Cons

Poor innovation, old has been technology, invests rarely in it's facilities for long term innovation.

Go to school, graduate, have a pedigree of success then come back and try again.

AAA Policy Service Specialist Claims

Current Employee - Policy Service Specialist Claims in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Policy Service Specialist Claims in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Really easy work. Come in, answer the phone and go home no follow up like in the insurance department.

Cons

It is slow to move up from this department. Company puts most of their attention on the Insurance department. Must refer other products and services to people filling home and auto claims, very inconsiderate.

Take management classes. I was surprised to find out that not many supervisors or managers have degrees. You can tell from their lack of professionalism and management skills.

A mixed bag - good in some ways, troubled in others. A challenged company.

Pros

No shortage of funds; won't be going broke anytime soon. Pension plan. Cheap medical insurance. Discounts. Interesting products. Generally good people to work with. Good/cheap on site cafeteria.

Cons

Top management is doing things the same way because, "that's the way we've always done it". Budgets and contracting processes are a full blown, utter nightmare. Departments are extremely silo'd resulting in the right hand/left hand problem. Line management doesnt share agendas or strategies with employees. Only VPs and above have actual approval powers so all decision making is concentrated and bottle necked at the top. Quite a few people are too scared to make proactive decisions because they don't want to be yelled at. Lots of clock punchers.

Hire Deloitte or similar company to re-engineer management structure and process flow. Too much bottle necking of decision making results in wasted time and needless last minute rushes. Don't sit on decision points until the last second then complain that things aren't done yet!

Pretty Decent Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

Lots of talented people exist here. It's a friendly to work environment and they definitely do take care of their talented people.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy gets in the way of making positive improvements unfortunately...

Be more lenient in terms of hours in the building.

Auto Club of Southern California Photos