Auto Club of Southern California Reviews

Reset

Member Service Representative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits. Exposure to people in the neighborhood. Broad variety of job duties, never boring. If you are in Insurance sales, there is a great opportunity to earn good money, if you are a hard worker and don't care about a family life.

Cons

For the most part, very poor management. They are like puppets under the control of Executive Staff. They do not care about their employees. They care about cross sell numbers. The organization has gone from Excellent customer service to a retail store.

Advice to Management

Listen and learn from your employees. Upgrade the systems and offices. Don't be afraid to confront the Executive Management with what doesn't work. Maintain your supplies/stock. There is no excuse for running out of daily use items....bags, bookstore items, maps, triptik supplies.

Human Resources

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

Friendly co-workers, decent salary, ducks by the pond are cute to look at while eating your lunch.

Cons

Old building, smelly restrooms, archaic computer systems, A LOT of red tape in every process, including internal dept processes.

Branch Specialist II

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good if you are full time. Still has a defined pension plan which is rare these days, to say the least.

Cons

No work/life balance. Employees keep leaving but are not replaced. Despite state laws, blatant disregard in some offices to employees getting their breaks. And make no mistake, this is not a customer service job, this is a sales job. Cross selling is the main duty here. Must meet these goals while also doing office work as there is no longer staff to do administrative duties. I have only been with the company 2 years ( and am soon to leave for another job) and have never seen such high turnover in a company.

Advice to Management

Get rid of cross selling goals or make them more realistic. Hire more people. Get managers that actually know how to manage an office and people. Give exit interviews to all that leave and not just listen to what they say but take action on the most common areas recommended for improvement.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, challenging projects, stability, raises and promotions, supportive of family and personal things to take care of outside of the office if within reason

Cons

Conservative attitude towards technology and social media, slow to get great ideas in motion

Advice to Management

Actually give the annual and bi-annual reviews so we know if we need to do something better or differently.

A stable place to work

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time

Pros

Lots of room for growth and lots of opportunity to transfer to different departments. Financially stable. Good health and 401k benefits. Opportunities for out of state transfers.

Cons

Old school management. There is almost no flexible work hours and working from home is not offered. Behind in technology.

Stable Company, Decent Benefits and advancement opportunities.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good to work at company that has been around 100+ years. Recognizable brand. Multiple locations across different states. Decent management if allowed to do their job.

Cons

As a long term employee it saddens me to see all the negative changes that have occurred throughout the years. This used to be a place where employees were appreciated, a place i was proud to work at. Now my friends laugh at me for staying. They read these reviews and wonder how i could work at a place like this. This company has the benefit of having long term employees who love this company. We don't stay because we have no where else to go, we stay because we believe in the mission and the service we provide our members and insureds. Many times you have thanked us for our legendary service and reminded us how important we are to the mission this company is all about. Words are meaningless, actions speak louder. Happy employees equals productive employees, employees who will stay 40+ years. You wonder about turnover, take a look at what you are doing that is making employees leave. The most recent change to core hours has employees so upset, yet no one that can change this seems to care. Just like you once allowed me to work a flexible schedule, i too was flexible with my time often putting in more than my 40 hours. This latest change has created such disruption it's all anyone wants to talk about. Yes, it may eventually die down but think of the many hours of lost productivity just because you decided 8:30 -5:30 is what we should all work. Not everything is about the bottom line. We've stood by you AAA even though you only gave us 2% increases for the last 10 years. We stood by you when you hired someone off the street for a higher wage yet we had to train them to do their job. We stood by you when mother nature took it's toll and your insureds came calling. We gave up family time so we could answer the calls of our members when you failed to hire and properly staff yet required us to work mandatory overtime. When will you stand by your employees? If you want more productivity upgrade your systems, train people to properly used the software efficiently. Allow us to think outside the box, implement change that will make us all better. Don't acquire more companies and not add staff to support them. Don't make it impossible to do our jobs. Allow employees to grow in this company. Don't put processes in place that will prevent growth and opportunities. Allow managers the opportunity to manage, don't have them wasting their time putting out the latest fire. Before it's too late get back to what once made you an employer of choice. An employer that can boast about the commitment of its 10,000 plus employees. An employer that does things because it's the right thing to do.

Advice to Management

Think before you act. Consult experts in employee retention. Someone out there has to know how to get it right.

Manager

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

Customer centric and stable long-term company. Good benefits and the employees are good people with a strong desire to do the right thing.

Cons

Micromanagement by senior executives demonstrates the value they hold in their employees. While most companies strive to create a work-life balance for their employees, this company is going backwards. Recently it was announced that core hours of 8:30 to 5:30 will be mandatory for all employees to "support member service". This is a blatant misstatement. This action is punitive and is as a result of a few who took advantage of their exempt status. Instead of punishing the offenders, they have incited the most loyal employees causing them to lose trust and faith in their leadership. Senior leaders are rewarded for being bullies rather than driving critical thinking and innovation. It is a sad state of affairs.

Advice to Management

Adjust and adapt with the environment, rather than continuing to perpetrate "old-school" bureaucratic, baby-boomer philosophies of management. With the economy improving, your employees have a choice and you will lose those most talented if you continue down this path.

A job is a job

Former Employee - Call Receiver in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Call Receiver in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time

Pros

people that i worked with were great, they were a big reason this place was tolerable. as long as you meet the goals, you have a steady job that pays 40 hours a week. benefits (although you have to pay a portion of them) are pretty good and we got 2 full weeks of vacation per year. cant complain about that.

Cons

management promises things to get you in the door. they dont follow through. you're required to work the next business day after a major holiday because "it's historically busy", yet since its a mandatory day, everyone working as an extra day ends up leaving early because there are no seats. also, sales. you come in expecting to HELP people that need service, yet when it all comes down to it, you're required to sell the customers on their "benefits". what are these benefits? repair shops that AAA recommends, which are a lot of times a lot more expensive. Yes, they offer a great warranty, but do people want to pay 2-3x as much for a warranty? they say you're not required to sell anything, and this isnt a sales position. then why was i being tracked on everything that I offered, why are we incentivized to offer these shops, and WHY were people fired for not meeting the goals? I'm sorry but don't bs people and just tell them that they're required to sell 7% (when i was there) of every tow as a "recommendation" to a repair shop.

Advice to Management

treat your employees better. the revolving door that is AAA is terrible. instead of focusing on keeping your employees you focus on trying to hire more.

10. Do anything for a sale they will look the other way

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefits are really good. if you work in the corporate office in costa mesa probably a positive work environment. Hey the president of the company works in that building.

Cons

The field sales is a dark, shady cloud. if you sell a large # of "policies" it looks good on paper so theres a :). But they don't care if you doing right for the customer or advising them properly they just want to see the number on the board. very shady so people will lie, withhold info on applications, not take photos of correct homes and teach the client to lie as well. That's what the sales department is all about they don't care how you put a number on the board just do it is the motto. Well i find it immoral to cheat the customers and refuse to do business the incorrect way or not do something that is not right for the client so i get fired, not enough dirty numbers for me. Customer service, Joke! they pay commission on new applications only, so what do you think happens the following year? the client is left in the dog house because who cares if your not getting paid to take care of them anymore.

Advice to Management

Learn to compensate management and agents so there will be common interests so there is not so much disinterest in both parties. if agents have to turn in all paperwork at the end of the month deadline for the managers why should we be forced to hurry up and make mistakes and jeopardize our pay with sloppy paperwork when we will get paid the exact same regardless of the end of the month timeframe. don't you want them to work together? or against each other so there is constant conflict. In regards to conflict its a doggy dog world @ AAA whoever collects the money wins, so its beneficial to steal from each other even though we all work for AAA. real professional towards the client, that makes for a wonderful customer experience. having employees say you bought it over the phone from someone else so we cant help you here, go back to where you bought it from LOL seriously well thought out!

Claims representative

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rewarding job, company has good ideas on how to serve customers

Cons

Work load is ridiculous, feels impossible to catch up

Advice to Management

Hire more help!

RSS Feed </> Embed