Auto Club of Southern California

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

2.2

Robert T. Bouttier

Pros
  • Competitive salary with very good benefits (in 15 reviews)

• Financially stable company; job security (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst of all is the mediocre upper management resistant to change (in 11 reviews)

• call center and he was telling me how to take calls despite my years of experience (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

If you have a choice, don't make it this place.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best part of my day is getting to go home when I've put in my 8 hours. Most people leave me alone.

There's usually an annual bonus, but there are limitations on who's eligible. It's nice to have that little something though, but 80 is the new 100.

Cons

That 8 hours? They'll hold you to it. Don't try to take a break unless you plan to make it up on the back end.

The whole place is powered by a massive cult of personality. The executives have a sycophantic reverence to the former CEO, who still resides as the Board Chairman.

On any given day, you more or less have the autonomy to do as you're told.

There is a massive vacuum of leadership because most of the managers have been beaten into submission or were hired because they would tow the line. Don't expect much support.

Do your job and you'll likely get 80% of your bonus for doing 100% of your work.

Grow a spine. Stand up for your people. Treat us fairly. Enough with the busy work already!

Beware of dog

Current Employee - Specialist II  in  Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist II in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They have lots of $$$$$ so job security if they don't fire you first which they have a penshant for

Cons

Sweat shop mentality. You are forced to cross sell products to their members and are harassed on a daily basis to meet your goals. If the members only knew what goes on behind closed doors!

You hide your greedy corporate ways from your members but the employees know the truth.

Would not recommend

Former Employee - Policy Service Specialist  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Policy Service Specialist in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not many to be honest. Only pros were meeting a few people I can now call friends

Cons

Everything... It's like working in the stone ages with the software systems. Computers are extremely old and tend to break down regularly. When brought up the the call center floor most new hires where not given a permanent desk for months which meant you had to lug your books from desk to desk daily.
    Criticized by supervisors daily on not meeting referral goals. (Not even mentioned in training or in hiring job description that you were required to do so). Not as a Policy Service Specialist. We were told this was the sales department that handles that.
    When asking supervisors questions or guidance you were treated like you were stupid and would brush you off to call the help desk. "So what is your supervisor there for if they don't want to help you).
    Unless you are kissing up to management your job is always on the line. They fire people left and right and instead of getting rid of the people that really aren't performing to the expectations they fire the employes that work their butts off.
    I can't speak for upper management or management in other departments but I will tell you that the supervisors and management in PMG/ISS and membership are horrible.

Clean up your act and get rid of the supervisors you have and start fresh.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outdated technology and short sighted executive management.

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

I have great Co workers, health benefits, it's a large company and you have the opportunity to move into a lot of different parts of the organization.

Cons

Outdated technology. Not just the proprietary software but all the hardware and processes. Managers (insurance, insurance associated departments) are promoted if they are high producers but often are unable to manage people. Ethical issues within organizational are often ignored even while having us recite mottos like "we do the right thing because it is the right thing to do. " that is laughable. Still overwhelming a white old boys club. No support for people wanting to acquire new skills. You can take their training to learn your job but further development is not available unless you are a manager.

Spend the money and update your systems hardware and software.

The corporate mentality has ruined an otherwise solid and enjoyable career

Former Employee - Branch Specialist II
    Former Employee - Branch Specialist II

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and pay are good to above average, top-notch training for new hires, fantastic coworkers and lots of opportunities for growth or lateral moves if you play your cards right.

Cons

The overly-corporate, numbers-based mentality forced down management's throat (at the branch level, in my experience) has destroyed the loyal and close-knit family environment that the Auto Club is renowned for. Employees hired into Member Services are given the bait-and-switch and forced into a hybrid sales position with steep, uncompromising cross-sell goals, exhausting 6-days-per-week work schedules and difficult vacation approval (no time off allowed at the end of any month, and I hope you've scheduled all of your vacations a year in advance!).

Overall, it appears to me (again, with experience at the member-facing branch level) that the company brass no longer really cares about customer service skills, job mastery or loyalty in their member service positions. It's only about the numbers -- how much you can sell to the person standing in front of you. If that doesn't sound too bad to you as a prospective employee, then I suggest you take an insurance sales job instead and make a load of money while you're at it.

If you're going to force member service employees to enter a boiler room of sales goals-based employment, offer a commission and make it a sales job (no, the end-of-year variable pay is not a commission). This whole make-your-goals-or-be-terminated act will only hold for so much longer. Once everyone realizes the stress isn't worth the mediocre pay or daily verbal lashings from management, the massive turnover in member-services positions will cost the company big time in training and HR resources to replace otherwise valuable employees.

work

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for less than a year

Pros

the benefits and pay are decent

Cons

everyones old and everything else is not great

manage

Going with the flow

Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Auto Club of Southern California full-time

Pros

Stable company, work life balance, and variable pay.

Cons

Too conservative and way behind in technology.

Sales agen

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California

Pros

Consistent inbound business if you can close

Cons

Monthly goals are getting higher with less inbound business while cramming in more agents per office

A Corporate Culture that ONLY wants you around for about 3 YEARS or Less !!!!!!

Former Employee - Sales Agent  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company has many job openings all the time for lower paying positions. It's a stable company but not much room for growth. If you do not have insurance experience, work here 3 years and learn and leave...either way they will try to get rid of you because you will realize that the compensation plan can be beat but they say one thing and mean another. BEWARE !!! Ask any agent and they will confirm with you this fact !!!

Cons

I was a Sales Agent for many years and I made a very good income. The compensation plan is very complicated but I was one of a few agents who read understood it fully. In summary, your pay is in direct CONFLICT of your immediate boss and his/her boss. You can make money by writing the right business on the correct rating factors, BUT your boss is paid on the number(s) or volume. You can make a good income but your manager will pressure you to ultimately sacrifice your pay for his.

None. They are just puppets and bring nothing to the table. The agents are the smartest people of the entire company.

way more hours than was explained in training

Former Employee - Insurance Anget  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Anget in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Auto Club of Southern California full-time for more than a year

Pros

learned a new profession-got licensed

Cons

too many hours-the company is very "CYA" and "just do it.. slice and dice"

give the agents breaks without holding a grudge-nasty emails get nothing but contempt

Worked for Auto Club of Southern California? Contribute to the Community!