Auto-Owners Insurance

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeffrey F. Harrold

Pros
  • Incentive Bonus/Christmas Bonus was a plus(in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits and for the most part caring company to work for, Little overtime involved(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no opportunity for advancement unless you are willing to relocate(in 5 reviews)

• Promotions are based on time at the company, not ability(in 4 reviews)

very stable but also slow to change

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Lansing, MI

Proslittle to no overtime, still provide a pension,

Consworking in IT is depressing. employees with high tech skill and an eagerness to improve get frustrated and disappointed quickly, then leave.

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more flexibility and trust in your employees. being strict with petty rules eats away at moral. provide incentives for working hard, not just sitting in a chair. your most passionate employees have left because you failed to acknowledge their contributions. just saying thank you goes a long way.

Ok for now

ProsGreat coworkers, collaborative atmosphere. Lots of training opportunities.

ConsThey do not post job postings internally. You're at the mercy of your management to promote you within the company. It seems counterintuitive to post positions externally but not internally -- gives off the message that they don't promote opportunities for employees, although it's one of their "core values." Below industry standard salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent with open opportunities in the company. Offer employees more competitive salaries.

Overworked, Underpaid, and Unappreciated!

Claims Representative (Current Employee)

Pros- Decent pay (for the middle Georgia area)
    - Great benefits - medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, supplemental sick pay/disability, etc
    - Very relaxed environment
    - Amazing coworkers
    - Independent working instead of handling claims in teams
    - 8:00 - 4:30 M-F schedule with no overtime "required"
    - Opportunities for advancement, if you are willing to move

ConsWell, for starters, there's no training. Literally, none. You sit with support staff pushing paper, then you sit with other claim reps, then all of a sudden, you have your own claims, and a full set of someone else's dumped on you should someone quit or get promoted. The volume of work is STAGGERING. While overtime isn't required, it is kind of necessary if you don't want to fall behind....and once you're salary, you're expected to work late without being compensated for it. The call volume is beyond ridiculous. The boss micromanages, and expectations are typically somewhat unrealistic. The only way you'll be able to move up within the company is if you're willing to move around.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff appropriately, so that your claims department will be capable of focusing on quality over quantity. Also, pay more competitively, so that people don't gain experience at AO and then go to work for another company that pays better. Implement an appropriate training program from day one for new claim representatives.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No room for growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSet work schedule, no weekends.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement, low pay and two faced middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management, you need to be more aware of what your middle management is doing. Also, hire people for what they know, not who they know. Also you are not competitive with your salaries.

one of the best companies to work for

Personal Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) Lakeland, FL

Proson job training, advancements are easy, perfect work hours, family environment,

Consno located in DMV area

Advice to Senior Managementneed more locations

Horrible experience during my time there

Quality Analyst (Former Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsThe other employees are (for the most part) extremely friendly and helpful

ConsThey don't work with you. If there's a problem, they wait until your review and then say that they mentioned it to you previously. Or they tell you about a problem, but don't actually work with you to solve it. They expect you to fix it without any input on what exactly the problem is.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with people more (transfers, etc)

Good benefits.

Underwriter (Current Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsGood benefits and for the most part caring company to work for, Little overtime involved

ConsNot easy for promotions unless you are willing to move out of state or management really likes you,. Pay less than other companies but better benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to long term employees. These are the ones who gave their life and loyalty to you,

Stable with limited opportunity for growth

Underwriting Specialist (Current Employee) White Bear Lake, MN

ProsThe management and co-workers are really nice. The benefits are good (Health, Pension, Retirement match, Christmas bonus, Possibility of 2 profit sharing checks).

ConsThere is little opportunity for advancement unless you are willing to move around the country. The base pay is low compared to other companies. Retention is not a high priority and employees are constantly leaving to work at other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider increasing the base pay so that it is competitive with the industry. Take a look at your associate retention rates and do something to stop your talented associates from going to other companies.

Great experience as an Intern

Associate Underwriter (Current Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsThey allow you to start out doing everything a normal underwriter does. By the time the internship is over you have a great understanding of Insurance and Underwriting.

ConsThey could allow the intern to work with multiple departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job

Stable, predictable, good place to grow in skills and experience

Software Developer (Current Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsGreat co-workers, easy to take time off, opportunities for learning and growth. I have an amazing boss, and there are fun challenges to work through. Conservative environment is very family friendly. Never fear for my job because the company is very fiscally conservative, and takes things slowly. Decent pay.

ConsCompensation is middle of the road, and it seems to be based more on how long you've been there. Management is hit and miss. I currently have a rock star boss, but I know others who have struggled with their management. No flex time. No working from home. Strict dress code - business professional at all times except Halloween, when you can wear crazy costumes to work (can't figure that one out....)

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation system needs some modernization. There have been steps recently with the job titles, but it needs to be reflected in the way pay scales are determined. Have a public pay scale for each job title. Making salary information so secret is a destructive cultural practice.

Worked for Auto-Owners Insurance? Contribute to the Community!