Auto-Owners Insurance Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

3.3

Jeffrey F. Harrold

Pros
  • Incentive Bonus/Christmas Bonus was a plus (in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits and for the most part caring company to work for, Little overtime involved (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no opportunity for advancement unless you are willing to relocate (in 5 reviews)

• Promotions are based on time at the company, not ability (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, great management!

Former Employee - Associate Underwriter
    Former Employee - Associate Underwriter

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people, benefits, pay and hours.

Cons

No flexibility on work schedule.

Actuarial Intern

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Lansing, MI

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-The people are great, very friendly and welcoming, yet professional at the same time
    -Everyone is very willing to help you learn as much as possible
    -There is a lot of room for development -- for you, and for the company!

Cons

-Nothing much, just that there is a lot of company specific information that you need to learn, and it is difficult to do it within the term of an internship

Living in the Past

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent benefits.
    37 1/2 hour work week (although they seem to expect IT to work overtime quite often with no extra pay).
    Insurance discount.

Cons

Managers seem to be chosen based on favoritism, not ability.
    Coworkers are often uncooperative and rude.
    It's a total boys club!
    Most people would rather get projects done fast than right, which makes maintaining the code a complete nightmare.
    System documentation is almost non-existent and training is minimal. That, coupled with a sink or swim mentality, means you're pretty much on your own to figure out everything you need to know.
    Senior management seems to have serious resentment towards IT.

Planning IT projects better could save a lot of time, money, and frustration. Make sure management knows how to do this.
    You have to pay IT so much because we have highly valued skills. Don't expect us to stay late just because we're in demand.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Field Claims Representative

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance

Pros

The co-workers (other adjusters/support staff) was great. Training at corporate; Lansing cool place to visit if you go in the right time of year. Company car for field adjusters.

Cons

The pay was absolutely horrible. I left in 2010 as a field claims adjuster not even making $40K...seriously. The benefits were typical benefits; Christmas bonuses which could range up to 10% (not worth it to work a full year for this horrible company) and profit sharing (aka incentive bonus). Not sure how they stand now. Manager was a meek and mild coward with no back-bone...not sure how he even walked up-right. The adjuster makes a decision to pay or not to pay for something and manager went over your head to make you look like the idiot. NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE AT ALL. Refused to have kids while in the business. When I left, 3 other people in my office followed. About a month after finding a much better opportunity, we found out we were pregnant with our first child. Like I said, I wasn't going to bring children into this awful environment. Anyone taking the time to read this, trust me, you're better off to collect your unemployment until you find something better than this. AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't care what happens to this company.

Modest Pay, Good Benefits, Ok work environment

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Lansing, MI

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pension Plan
    Friendly co-workers
    Decent Vacation
    Hour long lunch.

Cons

Even employees who never see customers had to wear business professional attire.
    Below average pay for a software engineer.
    Almost never had to work overtime.

Good work life balance
    Good benefits
    Was not compensated close to the average software engineer salary, which is why I left.

Ok for now

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, collaborative atmosphere. Lots of training opportunities.

Cons

They do not post job postings internally. You're at the mercy of your management to promote you within the company. It seems counterintuitive to post positions externally but not internally -- gives off the message that they don't promote opportunities for employees, although it's one of their "core values." Below industry standard salaries.

Be transparent with open opportunities in the company. Offer employees more competitive salaries.

very stable but also slow to change

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

little to no overtime, still provide a pension,

Cons

working in IT is depressing. employees with high tech skill and an eagerness to improve get frustrated and disappointed quickly, then leave.

provide more flexibility and trust in your employees. being strict with petty rules eats away at moral. provide incentives for working hard, not just sitting in a chair. your most passionate employees have left because you failed to acknowledge their contributions. just saying thank you goes a long way.

No room for growth

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Set work schedule, no weekends.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement, low pay and two faced middle management.

Senior management, you need to be more aware of what your middle management is doing. Also, hire people for what they know, not who they know. Also you are not competitive with your salaries.

Horrible experience during my time there

Former Employee - Quality Analyst  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Quality Analyst in Lansing, MI

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

The other employees are (for the most part) extremely friendly and helpful

Cons

They don't work with you. If there's a problem, they wait until your review and then say that they mentioned it to you previously. Or they tell you about a problem, but don't actually work with you to solve it. They expect you to fix it without any input on what exactly the problem is.

Work with people more (transfers, etc)

Overworked, Underpaid, and Unappreciated!

Current Employee - Claims Representative
    Current Employee - Claims Representative

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Decent pay (for the middle Georgia area)
    - Great benefits - medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, supplemental sick pay/disability, etc
    - Very relaxed environment
    - Amazing coworkers
    - Independent working instead of handling claims in teams
    - 8:00 - 4:30 M-F schedule with no overtime "required"
    - Opportunities for advancement, if you are willing to move

Cons

Well, for starters, there's no training. Literally, none. You sit with support staff pushing paper, then you sit with other claim reps, then all of a sudden, you have your own claims, and a full set of someone else's dumped on you should someone quit or get promoted. The volume of work is STAGGERING. While overtime isn't required, it is kind of necessary if you don't want to fall behind....and once you're salary, you're expected to work late without being compensated for it. The call volume is beyond ridiculous. The boss micromanages, and expectations are typically somewhat unrealistic. The only way you'll be able to move up within the company is if you're willing to move around.

Staff appropriately, so that your claims department will be capable of focusing on quality over quantity. Also, pay more competitively, so that people don't gain experience at AO and then go to work for another company that pays better. Implement an appropriate training program from day one for new claim representatives.

Worked for Auto-Owners Insurance? Contribute to the Community!