Auto-Owners Insurance

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
3.4

Jeffrey F. Harrold

Pros
  • There is Profit Sharing, a Christmas Bonus, and there are good benefits (in 12 reviews)

• They also don't lay off employees, so there's a lot of job security (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No opportunity for advancement, low pay and two faced middle management (in 5 reviews)

• Promotions are based on time at the company, not ability (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid Company, Good values, Poor Followthrough

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They don't lay off, or leave markets, Christmas bonus, mostly leave you to do your job, but micromanagement is approaching, trying to upgrade IT,

Cons

Poor choices by upper management, leadership only concerned with marketing, no idea about claims, over loaded work levels, lower pay than avg, since they dont lay off you end up with lot of people who are worthless but still have their job.

Get rid of redundant or unneeded employees, pay attention to claims employees and their ideas for profitability, staff at better numbers,

Not bad

Current Employee - Actuarial Technician in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Actuarial Technician in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company. Financially strong. This is not a bad place to work. People are friendly. Not too big and not small either. The benefits are good but not amazing.

Cons

People who are bad don't get fired. Pay is not high. We have plenty of "benefits" which I good but some of us younger people want higher money.

Excellent

Former Employee - Personal Lines Underwriter
    Former Employee - Personal Lines Underwriter

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance

Pros

Work life balance was perfect

Cons

Not able to relocate current positions

Open more Auto Owners

Extremely stable.

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is very stable and does provide room for growth.

Cons

Although there is room for growth, you have no control of it. There are no job postings. You literally have to wait for someone to ask about you for a job opening they have.

Flex time, post job openings, listen to the up and coming generation. You are losing all your good employees to competitors who payway more.

Underwriter

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance

Pros

Wonderful family company. It is very stable and offers a good work life balance. If you stay on the right track, opportunities will come.

Cons

The pay is on the low end. However the bonuses make up some of that. I think if they paid a little higher they'd keep good talent with their business

Relationship-Friendly Atomosphere

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Lansing, MI

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Positive atmosphere and comfortable work environment. AO offers some opportunities for professional development. Relationships are important to people at AO. Lots of opportunity to try different work within the company. Management in the Actuarial Department is friendly and understanding.

Cons

Although I was an intern, I am told that salaries are a little lower than industry average. Job qualifications are more lenient though. Average or slightly-below-average quantity of vacation time.

Great Company

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time

Pros

Benefits were awesome and the family environment was a pleasure

Cons

Micromanagement was annoying at times.

Try to let employees do their job without standing over them like a slave master.

Great internship

Former Employee - Web Development Intern in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Web Development Intern in Lansing, MI

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was my first professional work experience. The managers were incredibly helpful and the training gets you prepared for your position. The job security seemed solid, and they liked to promote from within. AO puts a lot of emphasise into their internship program.

Cons

It was a very conservative company that I'm not sure I would have liked to stay with long term. Men most wear ties everyday.

Great learning environment with great people.

Former Employee - Personal Lines
    Former Employee - Personal Lines

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

You have the opportunity to work with some great people and the training program was very thorough.

Cons

I did not enjoy the formal dress code. Men are required to wear a shirt and tie daily.

Good company, but they should really listen to their employees

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Christmas Bonus, Profit Sharing Bonus, 37.5 hour workweek, Benefits, (some) coworkers, Insurance designation exams paid for by company for first try.

Cons

Extremely mixed messages delivered by branch management on procedures, underwriting guidelines, etc and make it hard to be an effective underwriter and keep a good rapport with agents. Not to mention the messages of "you're saying NO too much" and then in the next breath "you're saying YES too much" to new business, renewals, etc. Overtime isn't required but if you want to keep your head above water you better be in there after hours and on weekends. Management treat associates like a game of chess - stalemating some associates and advancing others - it takes FOREVER to get a title promotion or any other type of promotion in there. Also, they don't fire anyone EVER, which is good unless the majority of your coworkers are incompetent morons whose work should have been reason enough to let them go. They pass work off to others instead of having the direct source clean up the mess. Feel comfortable venting issues to my supervisor, but know it's a brick wall with no solutions coming from the conversation. Overworked, underpaid (significantly), and tired of the toxic atmosphere of this place.

Your associates want to be successful and want to make AO successful - pay them more, listen to their ideas, and stop being so prudent where you don't need to be. Our reputation can't be the only thing that keeps business - we have to get with the times on technology and be more competitive with other carriers ways of account servicing.