Auto-Owners Insurance Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Horrible never recommend! Get me out of here!

Current Employee - Section Specialist in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Section Specialist in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy taking to some coworkers at least I know I'm not the only one that hates this company

Cons

I've worked here for almost six years.Horrible management, promotions are only given to those that are "favorites" management will even tell you to find another job as "everyone's replaceable" no matter how good of a worker you are. You're not good enough to promote unless you have any degree, experience doesn't matter. The turn around with associates is terrible and they don't care. I agree with all the other negative feedback on this company!! All the positive are either people that weren't here long enough to see it or they are current higher up jokes for management. Can't hardly stand coming to work. I'm currently looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates instead of not want to deal with the problem!! Read the reviews on your company... Duh!!

Easy Working Style

Former Employee - Software Developer in Lansing, MI

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment with great co-workers.

Cons

Work schedule is set and does not allow you to vary your hours much, and restricts overtime. It is also not the most engaging or challenging of jobs.

Great company, unrealistic expectations

Former Employee - Claim Manager
    Former Employee - Claim Manager

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No layoffs ever. Strong company values.

Cons

Mediocre salary, overwhelming workload. Plenty of vacation/sick time...just don't take it! 37.5 hr work week is a joke; if you're in mgmt expect to work 60 hrs+. Oh, and if you aren't a "chosen one" by local mgmt, Good luck! getting promoted.

Advice to Management

Stop paying lip service to family values and work/life balance. Just admit you expect total devotion to the company above all else.

Great people, great management!

Former Employee - Associate Underwriter
    Former Employee - Associate Underwriter

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, benefits, pay and hours.

Cons

No flexibility on work schedule.

Living in the Past

Current Employee - Software Developer in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. 37 1/2 hour work week (although they seem to expect IT to work overtime quite often with no extra pay). Insurance discount.

Cons

Managers seem to be chosen based on favoritism, not ability. Coworkers are often uncooperative and rude. It's a total boys club! Most people would rather get projects done fast than right, which makes maintaining the code a complete nightmare. System documentation is almost non-existent and training is minimal. That, coupled with a sink or swim mentality, means you're pretty much on your own to figure out everything you need to know. Senior management seems to have serious resentment towards IT.

Advice to Management

Planning IT projects better could save a lot of time, money, and frustration. Make sure management knows how to do this. You have to pay IT so much because we have highly valued skills. Don't expect us to stay late just because we're in demand.

7. Modest Pay, Good Benefits, Ok work environment

Former Employee - Software Developer in Lansing, MI

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pension Plan Friendly co-workers Decent Vacation Hour long lunch.

Cons

Even employees who never see customers had to wear business professional attire. Below average pay for a software engineer. Almost never had to work overtime.

Advice to Management

Good work life balance Good benefits Was not compensated close to the average software engineer salary, which is why I left.

Field Claims Representative

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance

Pros

The co-workers (other adjusters/support staff) was great. Training at corporate; Lansing cool place to visit if you go in the right time of year. Company car for field adjusters.

Cons

The pay was absolutely horrible. I left in 2010 as a field claims adjuster not even making $40K...seriously. The benefits were typical benefits; Christmas bonuses which could range up to 10% (not worth it to work a full year for this horrible company) and profit sharing (aka incentive bonus). Not sure how they stand now. Manager was a meek and mild coward with no back-bone...not sure how he even walked up-right. The adjuster makes a decision to pay or not to pay for something and manager went over your head to make you look like the idiot. NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE AT ALL. Refused to have kids while in the business. When I left, 3 other people in my office followed. About a month after finding a much better opportunity, we found out we were pregnant with our first child. Like I said, I wasn't going to bring children into this awful environment. Anyone taking the time to read this, trust me, you're better off to collect your unemployment until you find something better than this. AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Don't care what happens to this company.

very stable but also slow to change

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

little to no overtime, still provide a pension,

Cons

working in IT is depressing. employees with high tech skill and an eagerness to improve get frustrated and disappointed quickly, then leave.

Advice to Management

provide more flexibility and trust in your employees. being strict with petty rules eats away at moral. provide incentives for working hard, not just sitting in a chair. your most passionate employees have left because you failed to acknowledge their contributions. just saying thank you goes a long way.

Ok for now

I have been working at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, collaborative atmosphere. Lots of training opportunities.

Cons

They do not post job postings internally. You're at the mercy of your management to promote you within the company. It seems counterintuitive to post positions externally but not internally -- gives off the message that they don't promote opportunities for employees, although it's one of their "core values." Below industry standard salaries.

Advice to Management

Be transparent with open opportunities in the company. Offer employees more competitive salaries.

No room for growth

I worked at Auto-Owners Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Set work schedule, no weekends.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement, low pay and two faced middle management.

Advice to Management

Senior management, you need to be more aware of what your middle management is doing. Also, hire people for what they know, not who they know. Also you are not competitive with your salaries.

RSS Feed </> Embed