Auto Truck Transport

Updated November 13, 2014
Updated November 13, 2014
3.1

Ed Cumbo

The best trucking job out there

I have been working at Auto Truck Transport

Pros

Great benefits.and you are your own boss on the road.Do your job and no one will mess with you.

Cons

To make the big bucks,your away from home long periods.

Better training for new hires.

Worst Company I Ever Worked For

Former Employee - Non Union Management
    Former Employee - Non Union Management

I worked at Auto Truck Transport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Union employee's (Driver, Shop, Shuttler, Dispatchers, Terminal Clerks) benefits and pay are exceptional, free pension AND medical, dental and vision coverage. Driver's get paid for almost ALL downtime and ALL OTR expenses are covered by the Company. Terminals are poorly managed allowing for excessive OT & Double time, which is a pro for you if you work in the shop,

Drivers can use whatever is left of your 14 hour day on downtime for whatever reason as long as it is logged correctly and a pay item in the contract (wrecker, dealer, breakdown, weather, light bar repair, waiting on customs paperwork, keys to be made, etc.etc.etc---DELAYS ALL COVERED under the contract), with no accountability when you are caught falsifying your delay pay...again, a pro for you the driver.

Cons

Where to start...
    Lack of leadership - Executive Management is replaced about every 4 years (ED CUMBO LEFT ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO), most recent group was inherited from Allied after they ran it into bankruptcy to be eventually bought out by Jack Cooper, Local Terminal Management are puppets with NO accountability,

Driver Managers do not answer or return calls nor do they offer any assistance when they do, just pass the buck and have you make more phone calls and wait on someone else to make a decision, but hey, while waiting on the incompetency of others, you're probably getting paid.

Non-Union workers have low salaries, like 10-15,000 LOWER than other companies which probably explains why most don't even show up for work, especially in Texas, no advancement from within, no training, terrible and expensive insurance coverage

Terrible loads- 4 trucks in a load with 200-600 mile splits in between the 3-4 stops you will have to make within bankers hours most of the time and that is if you got lucky and got a load with at least 1500 miles.

The UNION Stewards are terrible and don't fight for you unless they like you, not because they believe in your argument, they have offices in the terminal and get paid ALOT more than the rest of us with no real representation. They are appointed by the IAM and NOT VOTED IN as they should be.

Pack up and leave before you run this company into bankruptcy too.

A waste of eight years and empty promises ...

Former Employee - Transporter Driver in Laredo, TX
    Former Employee - Transporter Driver in Laredo, TX

I worked at Auto Truck Transport full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Being able to pick where you wanted go

Cons

Being shorted on mileage every you go

Listen to the employees

Great job freight hauling can't compare.

Current Employee - Transporter Driver in Cleveland, NC
    Current Employee - Transporter Driver in Cleveland, NC

I have been working at Auto Truck Transport full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with att 8 1/2 yrs. My first week with my trainer i knew if i was going to drive for a living this is the job for me.I've been in all 48 states,and all the lower providences of Canada.I read two reviews of former drivers that trashed the company they sound like new hires that didnt stay long enough that to learn the ropes.Belive me i don't work hard cause this job has made me lazy. I still make more money than other jobs, I'm talking 20-25 thousand more.and thats even when i lose money by training new hires. The point is if you want to make money with this company you can.If you just want to get by go home every few days.

Cons

Waiting around airports and terminals,but you can use this time to help reset your hours. Trainees should go to all of our terminals with a trainer, Westerstars are are heavy and more to do. Trainees should not go from a two or three way to a sfes.They need a four way before they move up to a SFES.

I love to train new hires,partly to help them make money,but mainly to teach them how to undeck and not damage the trucks and not get hurt or even killed.
    I don't care about the time it takes as long as as they learn how to do it safely. I've been in some locations and seen trainers all they want is to get the trucks on the ground and go get another load, that not teaching. Maybe that why i lose so much money when i train. The only way l would train again is to be put on salary.

Very rewarding great pay and benifits

Current Employee - Driveaway in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Driveaway in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Auto Truck Transport

Pros

I have worked here for 12 1/2 years there is no other place in the country that has benifits and a super pension plan in the industry beats teamsters.... If you are a hard worker and live along the main routes your home time will be wonderful...

Cons

outside work undecking like a postman wind rain snow ice or HEAT we have days like that lol if your lazy or can't keep your left door shut look elose where u won't like it here...

Our pay is frozen til 2014 hope management will keep theirs frozen also instead of paying bonuses to yourselfs the driver deserves more respect than what that shows that is not a smart thing your doing

I suggest one gives careful consideration for employment here as this grass is not as green as it looks

Current Employee - Transport Delivery Driver in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Transport Delivery Driver in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Auto Truck Transport

Pros

If one enjoys travel, this company provides the opportunity. If one enjoys flying - this company is a good place for employment.

Cons

The cost of making profits for this company, and management salaries as well as the competition that has developed for the delivery of New Big Trucks - has caused middle support staff to be outsourced to Mexico, at the cost of support in the USA. Payroll staff continues for the time - to be in the USA, however getting reimbursed for expenditures nescessary to do the job as a delivery driver is becoming more and more difficult to obtain, even with the proper documentation. Its as though every conversation needs to be documented via e-mail or other proof of instruction authorizing the driver to do what was at one time - unnescessary. Getting reimbursed for costs required to do the job, is NEVER inquired directly to the driver for timely reimbursment. Rather - the driver discovers what is questionable, in their payroll documentation, and THEN has to obtain the nescessary direct authorization from management and ReSubmitted to payroll. I would suggest that there be some communication from payroll - such as an e-mail questioning a submission for reimbursement i.e.wrecker authorization, sent so that the driver can respond to, and obtain their timely reimbursement for such - when further/more information and details are required to ensure reimbursement. What could be a simple and overnight quiery has been and continues to be nearly a 2 to 3 week process.

There are such secrets and plans for Auto Truck Transport, by management and shared with many outside persons, that are not employees - that when drivers hear about what outside people know about what is going on with plans and projections for changes with the company, it makes many a driver wonder how long their job is going to be secure for. Such secrets when revealed - have resulted in untold numbers acquiring attitudes of "I'm not a valued employee so why should I care what monies are spent to keep the supplies and tools in good working condition, when upper management is worried about their jobs and salaries and not concerned about employees". It is a well known fact that the company will 'step over a dollar bill to pick up a dime' in regards to such small things as hotels drivers are required to stay in - along with justifying reimbursements for payroll expenditures. I would suggest that if management were to spend one or two days per month (for a few months out of each year) - out in the field with a driver at a delivery point, to see what various terminals are doing when decking, and then go back to change and improve those decking teams; drivers would be less likely to damage and toss into refuse - valued equipment that can be returned and reused. Thus focusing more on the comfort, quality, and rest of drivers and ensuring that the quality of equipment used for transport is retained as well as the frustrations of drivers lessened or even eliminated. Management: it may take a skilled driver to get a 3 or 4 way load to its destination - but even equally as important - it takes a decking team to PROPERLY do their job (i.e. removing gaskets completely, not using copious amounts of duct tape to secure air line connections, tightening connections beyond what is nescessary-such as air tanks/brake connections) to make the delivery driver's job as quick and efficiently to ensure both faster and timely deliveries for customers and a larger paycheck for drivers.