AutoNation
jobs.autonation.com Fort Lauderdale, FL 5000+ Employees

AutoNation Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
AutoNation – Fort Lauderdale – “AutoNation Corporate Headquarters”

AutoNation Chairman and CEO Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson

Pros:
  • "Overall, this is a good company that could be a great company once again"
    in 8 reviews
  • "They promote a positive work environment and let you work to your full potential"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Cost of benefits for a family some time's the long hours can be draw back"
    in 13 reviews
  • "I dont have anything bad to say about autonation"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Think twice about your employer

Auto Service Tech (Current Employee)
Spokane, WA

I have been working at AutoNation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people you work with.

ConsPay,Benifits,hours,Management as a whole. No over time pay for flat rate employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to take care of your employees as well as you do a customer. Pay for 1/2 of the benifits not none at all. Pay your Auto Service Techs more than 13% - 22% of the shop rate and make raises more attainable than when you feel like sending them to school.

If you have thick skin, you'll be fine

I have been working at AutoNation

ProsThe team truly cares about the product. Teamwork is excellent, the work isn't difficult, as long as the work gets done, people leave you alone.

ConsManagers have very little respect for the people on the front lines and the job they do. It is very difficult to keep associates motivated when you are being treated poorly on a day to day basis. Most people are looking for work outside the organization despite the fact that they genuinely like most aspects of their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management should seriously consider the effectiveness of management. Most people don't do their best in response to fear. Also, the benefits and pay are well below par...especially for a company this large.

Dissapointing! I expected so much more from the #1 automotive retailer in the country.

Confidential - Corporate Level (Former Employee)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at AutoNation

ProsNon-rigid work schedule (ex: arrive around 8:30 and leave around 5:30). 12 days off from the beginning. Nice break-room. Multicultural corporate environment.

ConsCompletely disorganized and no accountibility. Decisions seem to be made only at the very top level of management, otherwise subordinates do not respond to new implementations. The company is run like individual franchises instead of as a corporation. The DMS software used is lousy.
Employees have to wait 6 months to be eligible for health ins. benefits. The company is not focused on training and developing its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn addition to hiring people with education, like myself, ensure that employees either have experience at the store level or incorporate training to reduce detachment. Hire the right people, pay them well, and foster their development (train). Make the appropriate changes top to bottom.

Run for the hills and don't look back

Database Developer (Former Employee)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at AutoNation

ProsFree garage parking at the tower in downtown. Working in sunny Florida.

ConsTheir nightmare CRM system, where crap code is deployed because developers either don't know (most likely) or don't have time to optimize and load test their code.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsource your jobs to Mumbai. No one there can do a worse job and they can do it at a fraction of the cost, especially considering the current stock options and bonuses given to senior mgt.

AutoNation fails in many area's while attempting to lure customers in with a false feeling of ease.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at AutoNation

ProsCorperate processes make somethings uniform. Hours are best ever I've worked, however just like anywhere else you have to be there a lot if you want to make a living. I never was "spoken to" when I was sick and called out.

ConsUpper managment feels the need to micro manage every aspect of the car deal...almost as if they really have no clue what it like to sell a car and are willing to take customers time to find out. Paperwork for buying a car adds a extra 40 mins to the process. Customers often complain it takes too long, nevermind if something "real" pops up ( missing keys, cars out of gas, can't find car, ect....) Benifits are a joke and are only offered once a year by them sending a one page letter to your house, you miss that letter you are SOL. Commisions are very low 16-18% except if you can somehow manage to sell 18+ units a month then you can get it up to 25% (which 25% is the norm everywhere else). Money is taken out of every car with over priced charges before commisions are even figured. Floors are flooded with salespeople (300 unit stores have 45+ sales people). Managers give deals to thier friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking it out on cusstomers because you want to micro manage. IF YOU WANT TO SEE HOW IT IS DONE.......Send your managment team to lots and have them work for a week. Give better benifits. Pay 25% commision with bonuses for high unit employees......like everyone else does. Stop nickle and diming unit gross before comissions are figured.

Is the headache worth the money???

Auto Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at AutoNation

ProsThe pay is great compared to similar jobs. The benefits are good, but the employer match for 401k was just discontinued. The facilities look good to someone who doesn't work there. Store has lots of potential to make money.

ConsThe management comunicates very poorly with employees, no matter how many unnecessary meetings are held. Complaints are ignored or not delt with in a timely manner. Dishonest employees are allowed to do whatever they please. The work environment is overall negative. The facilites look good on the outside, but are poorly constructed and cheap. Performance reviews are not realistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are too worried about customers and therefore neglect employees. Identify and get rid of problem employees. Have written rules that will be followed instead of spoken rules that can be changed to benefit whoever the manager likes. Managers need to be on the same page and have better comunication between themselves.

Stay away. Far Away.

Irving, TX

I have been working at AutoNation

ProsThe jobs available here are pretty simple. If you aren't looking to be challenged this company is an okay place to work.

ConsOutside of the obvious negative connotations associated with working for an auto dealer, the environment breeds quite a bit of its own negativity. The wide range of backgrounds and levels of competence that exist among those with the same job titles is astounding.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to build a customer friendly environment it has to start from the top down. When so many of your stores are run by number oriented, self-serving managers the effects are clear to the customer. You end up with a staff of similarly oriented individuals (whether by need to conform, or desire for advancement).

Sales

Internet Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AutoNation full-time for more than a year

ProsCar sales at it's best

ConsCar sales with all that the profession comes with it.

Worked there for 1 ½ years.

Finance Manager (Former Employee)
Clearwater, FL

I worked at AutoNation full-time for more than a year

ProsVery good training. Large company with room for rapid advancement.

ConsSalaries/commissions below industry standards. Expected to work very long hours including nights, weekends & all holidays but xmas & thanksgiving.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees a little well-earned time off and stop burning your employees out.

Great co-workers; on going learning; low paying; poor work family balance.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at AutoNation full-time for less than a year

ProsTremendous amount to learn. Great co-workers.

ConsLong hours with below minimum wage pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementDesign a better pay plan for salesmen who generate your income like you do for service advisors.

Worked for AutoNation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AutoNation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AutoNation CEO Mike Jackson. All 167 reviews posted anonymously by AutoNation employees.