AutoNation Reviews

Reset
1.0
AutoNation Chairman and CEO Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson

Pros
  • Because of the scale, there are many opportunities for advancement (in 8 reviews)

• Autonation Toyota provides a great work environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Expected to work very long hours including nights, weekends & all holidays but xmas & thanksgiving (in 19 reviews)

• Pay plan is not near what other spots offer (in 14 reviews)

1. Find another place to work

Current Employee - Technician in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Mountain View, CA

Pros

It is just a job, based on the current company benefit program there isn't much good about it. Company policy on commision or flatrate is so confusing it boggles the mind. For a company that is in the Fortune 500 it isn't making it a very attractive place to work.

Cons

Very expensive health insurance, no dental or vision care, few holidays, no sick pay. Incompetent or very inexperienced lower level management. Upper level management that doesn't care about employees. More or less typical for this industry.

Advice to Management

Might want to try to give back to employees instead of just taking away all the time. Look at your lower level management, very inexperienced. You need to look at giving something back instead of the you can make only so much profit off a car doesn't work. It isn't the economy that has your stock tanking.

Find somthing else somwhere else- PLEASE

Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Denver, CO

Pros

some of the best emploees around

Cons

LONG hours No balance for your own life. low comission pay. financial punishment for low csi even if proven beyond your control. no support staff ie. cashiers, apointment takers, cust service support

Advice to Management

Happy employees make happy customers and I am not happy when i know I will be working 50-60 hours next week and still may not make enough to pay the mortgage

Too Corporate for the Automotive Business

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Large Company, Large Inventory (for car sales), Talented Employees, Some external perks (discounts on merchandise from other vendors.), Several dealerships/locations can help if a location change becomes an issue.

Cons

The industry can be known for back-stabbing, the pay plan is poor in comparison to dealerships owned by smaller and less corporate groups, the health insurance benefit options are costly and do not provide sufficient coverage, the hours are generally 50+ and in an economy where auto sales has declined, your draw works out to be less than minimum wage and your commissions may not come anywhere near what you could be making hourly (more industry related), advancement within the company is not what you know, it's who you know.

Advice to Management

You have some talented employees who are square pegs being forced to fit into round fittings - not every position should have a payplan based on a template.

Terrible

Current Employee - Lot Porter in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Lot Porter in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Working at AutoNation allows you to interact with customers and coworkers of various backgrounds. You also get to wash and clean your own cars for free.

Cons

Everyone is constantly mistreated. Management tends to be very greedy, especially with the people who are out to earn a commission. You can be rest assured that if you work in an hourly position, the people who are earning commission will make you work very hard so that they can earn a bigger paycheck, at your expense. Also, although sales guys may get mistreated once in a while, they are treated like Gods. Management will walk stomp all over you in order to make them happy. They earn the company a lot of first time buyers, and A LOT of money.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. We voice our concerns for a reason. Do not try to overwork us for low pay and put us all under very stressful conditions, just so you can look good to the higher-ups in corporate. Also, don't leave us understaffed for several months and complain about why performance level has dropped from previously. We get tired! We are not machines! We are human!

the worst work experience in the automotive trade

Former Employee - Mercedes-benz Sales Specialist in Pompano Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Mercedes-benz Sales Specialist in Pompano Beach, FL

Pros

the benefits are above average

Cons

when all else fails, chop the sales force pay to compensate the upper management.

Advice to Management

get to the bottom of why the top sales specialists are a breed of professional people now gone from the front line!

There is "Us" and the rest of AN Staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Location in downtown Fort Lauderdale Half day off day before a holiday

Cons

Top management flies around in corporate jets and stay at over priced hotels while everyone else is cost-cut to extreme. Middle managers have to fight over a $5 variance in hotel bills. Hourly people have to clock in and out. This is a corporation, not a factory. Salaries are uneven. You can work hard and get the same lousy 1 to 3% raise or no raise at all every year.

Advice to Management

Get out of your bubble and try to work within the confines you expect the rest of us to work. Share the wealth a little more.

Worst compnay I ever worked for

Former Employee - F&I Payables in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - F&I Payables in Irving, TX

Pros

my supervisor was very accomodating, because I knew what I was doing and he knew I would watch out for him when first hired, everyone seemed happy and helpful

Cons

I would have to say everything! Pay is below average wages. Benefits are extremely expensive and in combination with the low pay, I couldn't afford benefits. This company is NOT employee oriented at all. They are only concerned with the bottom line. You are expected to work constantly, non-stop! NO down time at all. Would advise anyone who is considering employment at the Shared Service Center, DONT! Turn and run away as fast as you can.

Advice to Management

Be realistic when asking your teams to perform certain duties without sitting down with them and seeing what steps are involved. Have more sympathy for your employees rather than just the bottom line. AND PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES A DESCENT SALARY. Then you wouldn't have the tremendous turnover you have!

Very bad company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pembroke Pines, FL

I worked at AutoNation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big name is the only pro.

Cons

EVERY department is constantly dealing with pay cuts. I have never seen anything like it. I put up with it for 5 years. Only hourly employees are safe. They only care about the stock. This includes sales parts AND service. All that plus a lot of training! YAY.

Company is more concerned about stock price than customers or employees

Former Employee - Management in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Management in Denver, CO

I worked at AutoNation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large enough company that an employee that is lazy or inept can keep their job (pro for that employee). Management can make a low 6 figure income, pretty easily.

Cons

Return for shareholders is more important than taking care of the customer and employee. Yes, a public corporation is created for shareholder value (by law)… but the only thing management truly cares about is moving the stock price to affect their options. Corporate attitude- CYA, who you know is more important than production, etc.

Advice to Management

Truly focus on the customer and the employee and shareholder value (net profit) will take care of its self

DRINK THE kOOL-AID!!!

Former Employee - Internet Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Internet Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at AutoNation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The commute was great. Other than that....

Cons

It is a giant corporation where you are spoon-fed their propaganda about how great they are. It's a ruse. An employee must work for 6 months to get their Health Insurance. After you get it, you are sadly disappointed. It is expensive, has a really high deductible, and it costs a fortune to add your family members. The company doesn't respond to requests for office equipment for new employees. The process to hire takes weeks. However, when you start work, nothing is ready for your arrival! They make a great first impression! You will feel not welcome and confused. I was hired to be a sales person and was to respond to Internet Leads. After a month and a half, I still had no phone, nor a computer. My fake managers, who were sales people who were just told they were managers..."Poof! NOW, you are a Manager, Dude!"...told me they made several requests. They did not. They also told me they ordered my Business Cards. They never did. Finally, I was criticized publicly, in a sales meeting, in front of my teammates and ridiculed as a "Squeaky Wheel"...because I wanted the tools to do my job. It had only been a month and a half with no phone or computer. I only got ONE Internet Lead in all thse weeks. I was starving! An effective manager knows to "Praise in public and criticize in private"...but these guys have not even been to Amazon.com to peruse books on Management!!! I would have gladly loaned them my computer, but I never got one. The really nice guy at the desk next to mine soon grew weary of me using his phone. I could only have access to it when he had his days off. I still didn't get incoming calls because I had to leap over to his phone and it was always too late. Someone, who HAD a phone, always beat me to the call. When I "walked", they were astounded. "Let's go in and talk." They wanted me to go into a room with the door closed and speak with 2 of the "managers". No way. I offered to "talk" right there...but, then, they wouldn't be "in control"; on their closed-door turf. So, if I wouldn't go into that office, they would not speak with me. I'm glad I remembered to go back in and get the office chair they had me buy. I was to be reimbursed. BIG SURPRISE!!! I was never reimbursed for the chair! It's mine now. GROAN Do not work for this company. Their training programs lock-up and kick you out. You end up taking the same modules over and over, until you finally get them to complete. it does no good to point out all the "bugs". No one listens...and they already know that they can't change their system...let alone improve it. It's been broken so long and they have been brainwashed into believing they are working for the best company ever. The Kool-aid is very good. To me, t was YUCKY!!!

Advice to Management

Read the above message and learn some things.

RSS Feed </> Embed