AutoNation Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
3.6

AutoNation Chairman and CEO Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson

Pros
  • Also, the opportunities for advancement and promotability (in 6 reviews)

• Besides the miserable work environment, there's actually some nice guys there (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Expected to work very long hours including nights, weekends & all holidays but xmas & thanksgiving (in 18 reviews)

• Change the pay plan to screw the salespeople (even more (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Career growth with a Fortune 200 company!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at AutoNation full-time

Pros

A clear career path with a fortune 200 company! Plenty of training opportunities with opportunities for advancement!

Cons

A very fast paced environment. One must like the pace or can get overwhelmed. I love the challenge and like it that I never really know what way my day will go!

Don't overlook your support staff! Sometimes your talent is internal .

STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE SHARED SERVICE CENTER!

Former Employee - Accounting  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting in Irving, TX

I worked at AutoNation full-time for more than a year

Pros

2 weeks paid vacation, Holiday pay, flexible hours (at least in my department) and decent benefits.

Cons

What a joke! The Shared Service Center is in need of a complete overhaul! They use ADP which is an ancient software program from the mid 90's, that causes more harm than good. Everything is completely manual and it is easy for mistakes to happen that are hard to correct. Half the programs they provide don't even work most of the time. The management and HR team are a joke! They spend more time worried about making themselves look better than being concerned about how their employees are doing and how the teams are functioning. They will say over and over that they are committed to your advancement but are quick to toss you to the curb like a piece of garbage if you disagree with them. I felt like I was attending Jr. High again when I worked there. All the managers had to write a "Social Contract" because the office politics were so bad! News flash management.... NO ONE FOLLOWS IT... NOT EVEN YOU! Don't listen to the well rated comments either. It is HR trying to move all the bad reviews down because the turn over rate for the Shared Service Center, wait who am I kidding the WHOLE company in the past 6 months has been absurdly high and Management/HR wonder why! Because you treat your hard working employees like dirt and your completely unstable employees with the utmost respect. Give me a break! This place is a living nightmare.

The Vice President and Director need to pull their heads out of the sand and realize the management they have running the departments at the SSC are completely incapable of doing so! If you want to know why you have lost so many great employees this year that is why!

The best decision I ever made was accepting a postion at AutoNation - Region Texas.

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at AutoNation full-time for more than a year

Pros

The list goes on and on of why I would recommend taking a job at AutoNation. I would say the most important would have to be the quality of the team - both coworkers and leadership. I had the pleasure of working with individuals that I learned from, and more importantly, looked up to. Everyone was more than willing to help each other, step in for one another when needed, and share ideas. The quality of the team I came into was greater than I had ever seen in a company. My management at AN was supportive, encouraging, and talented beyond words. They took the time to guide, teach, and grow each and every one of their employees. The company does a great job of training and developing. They truly take pride in their staff and know that they are the backbone of the company. AutoNation has a way of blending the perks of a large, Fortune 200 company (resources, training, career growth opportunities, benefits, accountability), and the feel of a family owned business (company culture, teamwork, care for their employees, meaningful coaching/talent reviews). I consider my time with this company the most beneficial in my career growth!!

Cons

I don't really have any cons - I had an overall, wonderful experience at AutoNation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great company that continues to grow!

I have been working at AutoNation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hard work is recognized and rewarded. Because of the scale, there are many opportunities for advancement. AutoNation truly believes in transparency and delivering a great customer experience.

Cons

No cons to working at AutoNation, I have been very happy I chose to join this great organization.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Manager  in  Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Katy, TX

I have been working at AutoNation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company loves their associates. Great training and benefits. They want people to have a career not just a job. Hours are better than most in the industry. Processes are customer friendly. Great leadership at the top of the company and the company is growing.

Cons

This business comes with long hours but employees are rewarded for their efforts and time!

good company

I have been working at AutoNation full-time

Pros

the people who I work with are GREAT

Cons

benefits are getting tough but that is the industry standard. not much you can do to help with the new health care reform.

Great company with incredible opportunity for advancement!

I have been working at AutoNation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, exciting and fast paced work environment, lots of advancement opportunities and opportunities to increase compensation. Wonderful place to work where you have the opportunity to be in control of your own destiny and make an impact. Offer extensive training and have great leadership who work to make their associates successful. Very comprehensive benefits plan that is great for a family!

Cons

No cons, great company full of great people and opportunity!

Don't waste your time

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, CA

I worked at AutoNation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some really good co workers. Buying a car here is easy and you can get crazy deals cuz management is constantly desperate.

Cons

Everything else. I signed 3 pay plans in a year, hours are insane long, and they will find ways to steal from you non stop. My GM at the time would give ppl "Free" parts or service and take it out of front end because he "sold" the free stuff out of my cut. So he still gets paid and the salesperson gets the shaft. Pay plan is not near what other spots offer.

Don't waste your time, your life will go downhill

Former Employee - Body Shop  in  Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Body Shop in Mobile, AL

I worked at AutoNation full-time for less than a year

Pros

A place to work, better than getting bit by a shark.

Cons

Everything else. Horrible facility, inept managers, worst job ever

Hire people based on their knowledge, not because he's related. And it helps if the management didn't. Sleep with the office staff

Sales Associate for AutoNation

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at AutoNation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent Training. Decent cut of "gross profit" per vehicle.

Cons

Very long hours. Always have charge backs on every car with no explanation or reason.

Give more training. Make sure salesmen are not harassing other salesmen.

AutoNation Photos

Worked for AutoNation? Contribute to the Community!