AutoNation Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
3.8

AutoNation Chairman and CEO Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson

Pros
  • Also, the opportunities for advancement and promotability (in 8 reviews)

• Autonation Toyota provides a great work environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • We do work long hours; however that is to be expected in the Automotive Industry (in 19 reviews)

• Change the pay plan to screw the salespeople (even more (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company overall

Current Employee - Accounting Department in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Accounting Department in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good job overall. Respected by my managers and fellow employees. A lot of autonomy, but little oversight. Fair benefits and good pay.

Cons

Long hours, There is no work-life balance at all so if you are a workaholic this is a good company. I would love to have a little less pay, more support and the ability to work a normal work schedule. There is not a lot of training available and seldom a chance to research and find out the right way to do things. I would also like to see some type of employee portal that gives information on other positions available. I think we lose sight of the fact that there is a lot of potential in our employees but you seldom know if there is a position available for a potential promotion.

The company is a solid performer in the industry that really wants to have low employee turnover. When promoting, however, you should look at your internal candidates first.

STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE SHARED SERVICE CENTER!

Former Employee - Accounting in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting in Irving, TX

I worked at AutoNation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

2 weeks paid vacation, Holiday pay, flexible hours (at least in my department) and decent benefits.

Cons

What a joke! The Shared Service Center is in need of a complete overhaul! They use ADP which is an ancient software program from the mid 90's, that causes more harm than good. Everything is completely manual and it is easy for mistakes to happen that are hard to correct. Half the programs they provide don't even work most of the time. The management and HR team are a joke! They spend more time worried about making themselves look better than being concerned about how their employees are doing and how the teams are functioning. They will say over and over that they are committed to your advancement but are quick to toss you to the curb like a piece of garbage if you disagree with them. I felt like I was attending Jr. High again when I worked there. All the managers had to write a "Social Contract" because the office politics were so bad! News flash management.... NO ONE FOLLOWS IT... NOT EVEN YOU! Don't listen to the well rated comments either. It is HR trying to move all the bad reviews down because the turn over rate for the Shared Service Center, wait who am I kidding the WHOLE company in the past 6 months has been absurdly high and Management/HR wonder why! Because you treat your hard working employees like dirt and your completely unstable employees with the utmost respect. Give me a break! This place is a living nightmare.

The Vice President and Director need to pull their heads out of the sand and realize the management they have running the departments at the SSC are completely incapable of doing so! If you want to know why you have lost so many great employees this year that is why!

Internet Sales Manager

Current Employee - Internet Sales Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Internet Sales Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company with great work life balance.

Cons

Pay plan changed for the worse.

More pay cuts

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at AutoNation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I think they still pay new car sales on Hold Back.

Cons

I jsut talked to some of my old coworkers, the couple still there. Autonation has come up with a new way to screw their employees and dealerships and lack corporate profits without paying any body. Now they are having a shell corporation buy most of the used cars rather than a local used car manager that can buy them for better prices. Then they jack up the whole sale prices and force the dealer to buy them from the shell corporation after (Packing) jacking up the price to dealers by thousands of dollars and taking away any profit margin from the dealerships and sales people and managers causing them to make no commissions. More managers and sales people have quit this month.

Stop the greed. People will notwork for free. You have destroyed the dealership I worked for taking it from 400 cars a month to 100 a month and made the physical store impossible to work with no lot space.

Great company, excited for the future

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Irving, TX

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Compensation
    - Benefits
    - Work/Life Balance
    - Tuition Reimbursement
    - Career growth opportunities

Cons

- Training
    - Career growth opportunties are available, they just need to be defined a bit more

a good job, tranform car is great

Current Employee - Detail in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Detail in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

very professional environment and much communication

Cons

Do not get left behind can always be overcome in this area. Lots of freedom and inovation.

Advise you at all times, you never stay is fantastic with doubts.

You can make it if you try

Current Employee - Accounting
    Current Employee - Accounting

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is always trying new things and experimenting with ways to innovate the business. From my experience, every voice can be heard, though you need to prove you can succeed with the current structure first. Current Sr. Management (Mike Jackson in particular) are leaders in the industry and have set AutoNation up for success even in tough times.

Cons

Hours can be long, and depending on the role comp can be at or below par. Some stores/locations don't seem to buy into Mr. Jackson's vision of a peerless customer experience.

While looking into compensation plans, make sure you are comparing apples to apples and that compensation plans are designed to attract top talent...

Don't plan a career here, leaders have too many competing priorities and have no sense of cohesive strategic direction

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at AutoNation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation was good, although the final salary offer presented was reduced from the amount agreed upon. Significant amount of bonus was eliminated from pay plan for two years making the undercut a harder pill to swallow. Opportunities to learn additional competencies and skill sets, mentorship from others willing to invest the time.

Cons

I boldly lied to and brushed off, given work well below my capabilities and set up for failure the last 6-8 months by "trusted" Supervisors/Management.

You can't take it with you and much forgiveness and penance is the only thing that will save your souls for the severed relationships and countless lives that were destroyed.

Not a bad place

Current Employee - Floorplan Associate in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Floorplan Associate in Irving, TX

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A good supervisor = a good experience. I had a good supervisor, in talking with people from other departments they did not have the same experience.

Cons

Lower end of the pay scale.

none really... it wasn't a bad job

Don't waste your time

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, CA

I worked at AutoNation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some really good co workers. Buying a car here is easy and you can get crazy deals cuz management is constantly desperate.

Cons

Everything else. I signed 3 pay plans in a year, hours are insane long, and they will find ways to steal from you non stop. My GM at the time would give ppl "Free" parts or service and take it out of front end because he "sold" the free stuff out of my cut. So he still gets paid and the salesperson gets the shaft. Pay plan is not near what other spots offer.

AutoNation Photos