AutoNation

www.autonation.com
Employer Engaged

The name needs to be changed to CheapNations

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Worked at company bought out by CheapNations. All they did was find ways to cut expenses.Stopped advertising. CHANGED GM 4 times.

Cons

Structure is lacking. Training is ignored once you get back to dealership. Been in car business for 10 years. Never seen anything like it.

No benefits for their sales department. No bonus. High commission rates but it is no use with no money in the inventory.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great friends and free food on saturdays

Cons

Poor upper management. Not organzied. All the money is made on the backend and none for its work horses (sales departments). management needs to open their eyes or this company will not last unless major changes are made

Manage your managment

Greedy company that could care less

I worked at AutoNation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Supplied tape, staples, pens, and white out.

Cons

Extremely disorganized company that will demand outrageous requests. Store level mgmnt is fine, corporate is lazy and doesn't understand their own processes. Compare company to bottom of the barrel employers: overworked, underpaid, and little room for worthwhile opportunities. Company lacks ethics and solidarity.

Corporate could use a little fine tuning.

Finance/Schedules Analyst

Current Employee - Finance Schedules Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Finance Schedules Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice part of town, car unlikely to get broken into

Cons

HR recruiting performed by a young person fresh out of community college with little experience and even less professionalism, but that's fine because they are easily influencable and underpaid. Does not understand the requirements for a position, and how your experience is relevant. How can they put you in a position if they don't even understand how well of a fit you are? They will make up stories not to move you to a position you are qualified for.

The "accounting" department is busy hiring underqualified personell to keep labor costs down. Wanting to keep labor costs down is understandable, but there is significant risk associated with doing so, as well as a huge loss of efficiency.

The manager of the department is busy pushing her mustache agenda rather than empowering and promoting employees. Very narcissistic person who acts like she has something to prove; uses her power and plays inquisitor in order to demean you and make sure you know you role(beneath her).

The economy has businesses in a pinch and they at working hard to keep their numbers up. Everyone is hiring underqualified people in order to pay LOW wages, with the notion that they are trainable and can replace those with the proper credentials. And it shows with this company.

Don't be so greedy. Underqualified, underpaid personell will only hurt you. Why do you think there is such HIGH turn over

Horrible Company... been with the company for several year's, every year it gets worse.

Current Employee - Sales in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Pembroke Pines, FL

I have been working at AutoNation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You meet great people, that are just as underpaid and over worked .

Cons

You are not treated like a person, more like a machine due to extreame work load. No Raises..... Given a lame excuse when you ask for one. No recognition for anything. Management & Corporate dont care about you. Benefits suck for such a large Fortune 500 company. Contsant turnover. Now open on Easter and extended hour's. Uniforms are not flattering and make some look sloppy. Its all about "who you know " not how hard you work, or dedication. Tons of responsibility with no compensation. Departments dont communicate. Frowned on when you ask for hard earned time off. Management shows favoritism. Upper management only sees dollar signs, and bottom lines. High-End should be treated differently, the customers demand more. Only the Best should be at the best ! Very little room for growth.

Screen employees better. Its ok to be picky. Especially in High-End.
    Give reviews and at the very least a cost of living raise.
    Help with benefits, you know you can.
    Train your employees, we cant be productive without it.
    Keep HR issues truly private.
    High-End should be kept that way. Uniforms are sloppy.
    Care. We have families too.
    Be more realistic with demands and deadlines.
    Show appreciation, especially around holidays. Bonus and a party.
    Wake Up. You have tons of unhappy, underpaid, & underappreciated employees.

A cynical culture driven by greed and stock price

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL

I worked at AutoNation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers were good people, and we all shared the same feelings of hopelessness, which, strangely enough, made us feel better knowing we were not alone. The hours can be long but the schedules are somewhat flexible.Once you have experience, other dealer groups, most of which consider autonation a joke, will gladly hire you and generally pay more with better hours.

Cons

Yearly pay cuts, although management will smile at you when they call it a "new pay plan." 5+ years without a pay raise, but the executives got theirs last year, of course. Penny smart and dollar stupid, they watch every penny for expenses while hundreds of dollars a day are given away to unhappy customers. There seems to be a concerted effort to get rid of the old-timers and replace all of us with kids who are desperate to work for $12/hr. See note about unhappy customers-directly related to the new, inexperienced, and of course cheap new hires. Constant turnover in staffing, nobody cares, even the store management have given up chasing the corporate carrot. Total lack of follow up with HR when issues are brought to their attention. Low morale, few chances to advance unless you know someone up top.

Come down to reality. Reality isn't the $50,000 per person republican fundraiser dinner at our COO's house, well, at least not for most of your employees. You'd see a better return on your money if you invested more in your income producing employees, not middle management bean counters. Embrace the concept of a pay raise. Happy employees make happy customers, such a basic concept totally ignored by the corporate hatchet men who work there. Your company is not growing. If the employees are not growing, then your company never will.

It's not what you know as much as it is WHO you know.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at AutoNation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Progressive, economies of scale, training resources for almost all positions within store.

Cons

Human Resources horrible (at least in Texas). Market management more interested in coasting then developing. Direct lies to store executive management as well as misrepresentation to Regional and Corporate management on stores’ personnel. Keep your head on a swivel if you join this group.

The company install tools/software/reports in each store to assist various levels of store management to make decisions based on facts rather then emotions (short of the Maroone speech of "...each store (GM) should posses entrepreneurial spirit to lead...). The market, region and corporate office themselves should review those same tools prior to making decisions on store movement and or removal.

Low Pay, bad training, long hours

I worked at AutoNation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most people I work around are good people

Cons

Your commission salary is based on customer surveys. The survey itself is confusing. You get marked off for things you can't control. They are more concerned with the survey then if you're a good employee when people who fill the surveys out don't care about your job. Sometimes they are in a bad mood or have a spouse fill it out. But, people are fired for low surveys even after bending over backwards for the customer. Even if you make CSI and sell alot, salary is still low. No room for growth. Long hours. High turn around. They give everyone an assistant manager title so they don't have to pay overtime.

Change the survey and make it simple. Stop punishing SA's for things they can't control (like what's in the breakroom or what the shuttle person does). The commission salary is not competitive with the area and cost of living.

DRINK THE kOOL-AID!!!

Former Employee - Internet Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Internet Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at AutoNation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The commute was great. Other than that....

Cons

It is a giant corporation where you are spoon-fed their propaganda about how great they are. It's a ruse. An employee must work for 6 months to get their Health Insurance. After you get it, you are sadly disappointed. It is expensive, has a really high deductible, and it costs a fortune to add your family members.
    The company doesn't respond to requests for office equipment for new employees. The process to hire takes weeks. However, when you start work, nothing is ready for your arrival! They make a great first impression! You will feel not welcome and confused.
    I was hired to be a sales person and was to respond to Internet Leads. After a month and a half, I still had no phone, nor a computer. My fake managers, who were sales people who were just told they were managers..."Poof! NOW, you are a Manager, Dude!"...told me they made several requests. They did not.
    They also told me they ordered my Business Cards. They never did.
    Finally, I was criticized publicly, in a sales meeting, in front of my teammates and ridiculed as a "Squeaky Wheel"...because I wanted the tools to do my job. It had only been a month and a half with no phone or computer. I only got ONE Internet Lead in all thse weeks. I was starving!
    An effective manager knows to "Praise in public and criticize in private"...but these guys have not even been to Amazon.com to peruse books on Management!!! I would have gladly loaned them my computer, but I never got one.
    The really nice guy at the desk next to mine soon grew weary of me using his phone. I could only have access to it when he had his days off. I still didn't get incoming calls because I had to leap over to his phone and it was always too late. Someone, who HAD a phone, always beat me to the call.
    When I "walked", they were astounded. "Let's go in and talk." They wanted me to go into a room with the door closed and speak with 2 of the "managers". No way. I offered to "talk" right there...but, then, they wouldn't be "in control"; on their closed-door turf. So, if I wouldn't go into that office, they would not speak with me.
    I'm glad I remembered to go back in and get the office chair they had me buy. I was to be reimbursed. BIG SURPRISE!!! I was never reimbursed for the chair! It's mine now. GROAN
    Do not work for this company. Their training programs lock-up and kick you out. You end up taking the same modules over and over, until you finally get them to complete. it does no good to point out all the "bugs". No one listens...and they already know that they can't change their system...let alone improve it. It's been broken so long and they have been brainwashed into believing they are working for the best company ever. The Kool-aid is very good. To me, t was YUCKY!!!

Read the above message and learn some things.

Company is more concerned about stock price than customers or employees

Former Employee - Management in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Management in Denver, CO

I worked at AutoNation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large enough company that an employee that is lazy or inept can keep their job (pro for that employee).
    Management can make a low 6 figure income, pretty easily.

Cons

Return for shareholders is more important than taking care of the customer and employee. Yes, a public corporation is created for shareholder value (by law)… but the only thing management truly cares about is moving the stock price to affect their options.

Corporate attitude- CYA, who you know is more important than production, etc.

Truly focus on the customer and the employee and shareholder value (net profit) will take care of its self

AutoNation Photos