AutoTrader

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
3.4

Sandy Schwartz

Pros
  • At one time you could make great money, work from home, cool parties, great product (in 12 reviews)

• It is a fast paced company but allow for great work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, multiple systems to work with that may not always talk to each other (in 16 reviews)

• Excessive meetings from upper management to lower level employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

90 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Anonymous

Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, free parking, nice incentive trips for sales. Very little to add.

Cons

Unprofessional, criminal activities going on, poor management, management has no oversight on spending.

Clean house.

Poor management and extreme cronyism

Former Employee - DB Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - DB Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoTrader as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good coworkers
    Nice office spaces
    Good location

Cons

Management is weak and most of the time protected by friends that got them the job.
    No incentive to stay
    Half the people don't come to work consistently

Set your expectations to those outside of the company. Work on yourself, you a not better than the people you manage!

Good Product, Profitable Company even in a bad economy, HR "Leadership" (below VP level)completely incompetent

Former Employee - Human Resources in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoTrader

Pros

Great Benefits Package
    Competitive Compensation
    Beautiful Building with a cool game room/break room to hang out in on your breaks
    Great Colleagues
    Creative Environment
    Community Involvement
    Great brand

Cons

It is not safe to question decisions, even if you are just seeking clarification. This is seen as not being a team player.
    Certain leaders who are poor performers in their "area of expertise" are protected. It's more about the relationship than it is about producing a quality product.

The employees are not the enemies and are not children. Learn what true leadership is. Some humility would do you good.

Review of ATC

I have been working at AutoTrader

Pros

Flexibility, good salaries, good benefits

Cons

Boys Club runs the company

Employee discrimination occurs at many levels

Disconnect between messages sent by Executive leaders to employees and what is actually practiced at the Sr. Management level and below.

Sr. Management should actually listen to what the Executives are saying about the culture and open door policy and put it into practice in all levels of the organization. These actions by Sr. Management and below causes a major disconnect between Top level and all other levels of the organization. As well, this creates a culture of distrust rather than trust. Sr. Management should also consider managing people and issues in their respective departments as part of their jobs and not act as if issues within their deparments are non-existent or a nuissance to them.

The ultimate unprofessional, dysfunctional workplace

I have been working at AutoTrader

Pros

The pay is decent if you can deal with the abuse. They also provide many community relations opportunities, which is really nice.

Cons

Horrible leadership & culture, Boys Club, Dishonesty, Discriminatory practices, Heavily political, Micromanagement, Human resource corruption, Extremely unprofessional and uneducated employees, No communication.

Autotrader doesn't want advice. They want everyone to drink their kool-aid or get rid of the people who don't. The employee survey results were horrible last year and that was not the message delivered to employees. They are given the truth on a regular basis but prefer their diluted version of reality instead. The lies and corruption are disgusting and disturbing. They had it right once upon a time and have absolutely destroyed the culture and all the things that used to make it a great place to work. The view has become way too cushy from the ivory towers to care about what really matters....the people.

Be Careful.....

Current Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting company....they used to be known for their honesty....

Cons

Management....never think that they won't screw you over

tell the truth...PLEASE

Good company weighed down by some in management

Former Employee - Individual Contributor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Individual Contributor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great medical and dental plan, decent PTO (if you can get the time away), nice facilities and eating options, covered parking. Salary was slightly above market for my position which I appreciated. Free coffee and discounted lunch within the facilities. Fairly easy access to 285 both coming in and leaving.

Cons

If you're of the aggressive mindset, you may do fine. There's a very competitive spirit within the corporate office. One where managers sometimes put the best interests of their people second to projects which don't warrant the urgency. Each team will be different but overall I see a similar "race to the top" mindset by management. More of a "ready fire aim" approach which doesn't always make the best use of limited time. There are some exceptional individual contributors who are great at what they do. They must get their motivation from the rare occasion they are recognized for their contributions. While the company does have an entire floor dedicated to learning, good luck getting the time away to improve yourself through these opportunities. Also they have a floor dedicated as a break room with TVs and video games. Again, good luck finding the time to utilize these benefits. One last point, I have a hard time accepting management calling people "resources" openly. I understand that's what we are, but be a bit more "human" please.

Please look at how you really interact with your team. Develop them, don't just talk about it. Give them the time and space to do so. You have a great brand, but remember many others did at some point and fell from the top.

Great people, but a lack of transparency or appreciation from management.

Former Employee - Digital Media Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of great people and personalities. Benefits are great.

Cons

Customer Operations department is all about numbers with little appreciation for individual contribution. Recent management changes have lead to uneasy environment with no work/life balance. Strict clock in times, break times, and shift bids contribute. Constant initiatives to show upper management appreciates employees and wants their opinions, but rarely are any changes put into place. Performance reviews are nonsense.

Practice what you preach

If you like repetitive tasks and netflix this job is for you

Former Employee - Digital Media Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cool office, fast internet, fancy break room you'll never have time to use. MARTA accessible. You can work from home part time. Community outreach. Amazingly talented people.

Cons

Here's the thing, for someone coming straight out of school this is a golden opportunity. Aside from all of the micro-managing, complete lack of creativity (except for on the corporate teams), and minimal career growth this is a great gig. It literally requires only enough brain power to answer emails, create the worst kind of advertisements you've ever seen, and watch netflix or hulu. No really, I caught up on so much online video content I ran out of things to watch.

Your hours shift depending on the timezones you serve, which can be a hassle if you enjoy having early evenings.

The culture they have is interesting but pretty weak. In my opinion, the company lost it's spark about 5 or 6 years ago. Now it's corporate juggernaut, that promotes on responsibility rather than ability.

If you've had a decent career and are looking at autotrader, stick to the corporate jobs, anything in the Web / Design / and IT departments is pretty much just killing time.

Promote change in your organization, you have such potential to be Apple-Esque and be a major pillar in the Atlanta community, but you throw it away to keep the managers happy with controlling the bureaucracy.

The talent you have is completed wasted by red tape, needless meetings, and remote

I was incredibly excited to work at autotrader, and left counting my blessings for a better opportunity. While I was there, after having done the same thing everyday for months on end, the only glimmer of hope I had was hearing about how others had moved to corporate teams years before. What broke the camels back and sent me looking for new opportunities was finding out people in my department had in some cases been in the same position for 5 or 6 years and nothing truly on the horizon.

Worse Company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company OVERALL is an OK place to work - depending on who you are.

Cons

Worse company "I" have ever worked for. I worked in the HR department and there is a lot of turnover and discord in the department starting with incompetence at the leadership level. AutoTrader started as a very small company and then grew over time. The individuals who started the organization as a vision from Cox all knew one another and everyone was promoted up the ranks extremely fast so there is an expectancy of promotion mentality. In addition, because of how the company came together and grew, it is EXTREMELY relationship based so everyone talks and things spread about your reputation (good or bad) sometimes to top leadership. There is disparity in promotion and in a particular department where most individuals are African American, they are barely represented in managment. If you're the type of person who likes to go into an organization and manage relationships with no particular skill set just to move up, this organization may be just the place for you...... It is the worse environment I ever worked in my entire professional career. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Look uf DIVERSITY in the dictionary and stop giving it feel good lip service. Hire people who are competent and promote based on the skills they bring to the table.