AutoTrader

www.autotrader.com

AutoTrader Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Sandy Schwartz

Pros
  • At one time you could make great money, work from home, cool parties, great product (in 12 reviews)

• Work/life balance highly encouraged (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is gone since they have taken away things, like telecommuting (in 12 reviews)

• Excessive meetings from upper management to lower level employees (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights
80 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fast-paced Dotcom / advertising company

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsAt least for awhile this was a tremendously fast growing Dotcom company with tremendous opportunity. The company is owned by Cox Enterprises, and more recently, Private Equity has taken a stake. Most of the early explosive growth has slowed, and the company is now operating as a more mature and more slowing growing company. If you enjoy working on interactive and website projects, it can be a fairly innovative environment with some rewarding and challenging projects. They do invest in training, and they developed a pretty robust in-house training curriculum.

ConsSome departments are much better than others. Although it's a technology company, it's driven by advertising. Most of the best opportunities are lavished on Marketing and Sales. It can be a great place if you're in one of those departments. Other groups often donn't get the same respect, to include IT, the PMO, Operations, etc. Several departments to include IT and the PMO have had a tremendous amount of turnover. Directors, in particular, seemed to last about 6 months in a role, before they were replaced. Also, I witnessed the company let go a number of talented and seasoned individuals while bringing in a wave of new hires. A lot of this activity seemed to be focused on cost cutting and reducing veterans while the company attempted to prepare for an IPO that never materialized.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay loyal to and provide opportunities to the employees that drive your success

Data Architect Co-Op

Data Architect Co-Op (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat Leadership, experience, and exposure

ConsNot yet mature standards and history of program

GGeaekdmskm

Individual Contributor (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat benefits, energetic people, lots of opportunity for growth, lots of opportunities to learn via internal training offered weekly at no costs. A lead from where you are type of environment where your input is always heard. Rapidly growing organization means plenty of room to grow current roles as well as find new roles. A company that people actually retire from without being terminated months before retirement! A great place to start and finish your professional career.

ConsAlthough input is heard, decisions that have negative impacts are made daily by leadership who kind of figure it out as they go. Too many managers with no formal training in their areas who continue to figure it out as they go. The transparency boasted by the company has not proven to be true in all areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your knowledge workers input and really "listen" to employees. Not taking action on employee suggestions is a positive sign that you dont really care about their input. Align your department with other ATG & ATC business units for better input and output across the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The culture has changed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWell compensated, more to sell as company has grown through acquisition

ConsWas a sales through service model, now sell, sell, sell and see what sticks. More micromanagement in last year

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on getting the car shoppers more engaged by upgrading the website, an engaged shopper = happy dealer clients follow company values, not just lip service.

Marketing

Marketing (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat place to work! Definitely worth exploring

ConsPolitical at times but with good intent

good before the red tape kicked in

Customer Service (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsPeople are dedicated to making the customers grow their business

ConsToo many managers to effectively get things done. As it matured there are more and more hurdles of red tape with lack of innovation

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember where you came from ... turn on a dime not like the huge ocean liner that takes weeks to get approvals

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat culture and people.
    Strong focus on training and development.
    Lots of opportunity to move around - need to build a strong network within the company
    Competitive salary and benefits.
    If you like change, this company will keep you busy and challenged.

ConsIf you don't like a lot of change, this is not the place for you. Direction and focus changes rapidly and regularly.
    Still a young company so they are figuring out how to retain entrepreneurial culture yet establish consistency and structure. This can be frustrating.
    Work life balance can be tough in some roles/departments.

Great Company with lots of Perks

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCareer Development, Benefits, Company Culture, Community Service

ConsThe environment is very fast pacing and constantly changing.

Great place to work. Maturing company.

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Pros- Approachable, down-to-earth employees and management.
    - Growth opportunities for those who seek it.
    - Occasional work from home.

Cons- Change happens often.
    - Each department seems to have it's own culture, some more formal with less work/life balance than others.
    - Young company that grew very fast. Catching up on rules, policies; determining employee perks, etc.

If you like repetitive tasks and netflix this job is for you

Digital Media Designer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCool office, fast internet, fancy break room you'll never have time to use. MARTA accessible. You can work from home part time. Community outreach. Amazingly talented people.

ConsHere's the thing, for someone coming straight out of school this is a golden opportunity. Aside from all of the micro-managing, complete lack of creativity (except for on the corporate teams), and minimal career growth this is a great gig. It literally requires only enough brain power to answer emails, create the worst kind of advertisements you've ever seen, and watch netflix or hulu. No really, I caught up on so much online video content I ran out of things to watch.

Your hours shift depending on the timezones you serve, which can be a hassle if you enjoy having early evenings.

The culture they have is interesting but pretty weak. In my opinion, the company lost it's spark about 5 or 6 years ago. Now it's corporate juggernaut, that promotes on responsibility rather than ability.

If you've had a decent career and are looking at autotrader, stick to the corporate jobs, anything in the Web / Design / and IT departments is pretty much just killing time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote change in your organization, you have such potential to be Apple-Esque and be a major pillar in the Atlanta community, but you throw it away to keep the managers happy with controlling the bureaucracy.

The talent you have is completed wasted by red tape, needless meetings, and remote

I was incredibly excited to work at autotrader, and left counting my blessings for a better opportunity. While I was there, after having done the same thing everyday for months on end, the only glimmer of hope I had was hearing about how others had moved to corporate teams years before. What broke the camels back and sent me looking for new opportunities was finding out people in my department had in some cases been in the same position for 5 or 6 years and nothing truly on the horizon.

Worked for AutoTrader? Contribute to the Community!