AutoTrader Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014
3.4

Sandy Schwartz

Pros
  • At one time you could make great money, work from home, cool parties, great product (in 12 reviews)

• allow for decent work-life balance) Company car (if you can get it) (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, multiple systems to work with that may not always talk to each other (in 16 reviews)

• Excessive meetings from upper management to lower level employees (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

87 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Love my role; love the company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the work that I do, and I have the freedom to do my job but also the guidance to continue to grow as an employee. Additionally, there always seem to be events, opportunities, prizes, giveaways, and snacks. It feels like they put a lot of emphasis on keeping employees engaged. I am, so I guess it's working!

Cons

Although I would consider it to be laid-back corporate, it's still a corporate environment, so if you're looking for a true dot-com feel, you may want to look elsewhere.

Great People, Great Benefits, Great Product

Current Employee - ATG Technology in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - ATG Technology in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader

Pros

-Awesome benefits
    -Great pay
    -Highly encourages team work, versus drawing targets on the backs of fellow co-workers
    -Fun environment (whole floor almost entirely dedicated to having fun with tv, billiards, ping-pong, video games, etc.)
    -Continuously growing company with a high demand product, even during a bad economy
    -Schedule flexibility
    -Ability to work from home occasionally

Cons

HR has been somewhat of a pain for me. When I started I was supposed to be set up with access to a lot of tools, to be provided by and handled through HR, and so much was missing when I arrived. I had to take extra time to personally fish for what I needed.

If you are a manager with a team, open up your schedule more so that your team can run more project progress/updates and questions by you, instead of telling your team to figure it out. Please give more guidance to your team.

Poor management and extreme cronyism

Former Employee - DB Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - DB Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoTrader as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good coworkers
    Nice office spaces
    Good location

Cons

Management is weak and most of the time protected by friends that got them the job.
    No incentive to stay
    Half the people don't come to work consistently

Set your expectations to those outside of the company. Work on yourself, you a not better than the people you manage!

Glacially slow to change

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good salary and benefits, lots of training opportunities

Cons

Despite being a dot com, the pace of change is not what you'd expect. Re-orgs were the answer to communication and collaboration problems, rather than outlining clear strategies. Chip, the CEO, is a nice guy, but he's in the weeds on things and nobody who stands up to him lasts long.

Chip - get some people in upper management who are willing to tell you the unvarnished truth and be open to it. Too many of your direct reports are incapable or unwilling to disagree with you.

Well compensated , too much red tape

Former Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great compensation, company parties, company perks, work at home days

Cons

So much red tape it takes 6 months to make the simplest code or product change. Middle management is not empowered to make any decisions.

Empower leaders, cut out the red tape, be innovative. You've had the same ugly home page and search process for 10 years. Yes it works but it could be better.

Good growth company. Less sincere focus on employees.

Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong growth, opportunity to learn.

Cons

Reorganizes often quickly displacing employees.

Very innovative and results driven company

Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management is very transparent. Company culture is strong and aligned with company values. Generous compensation. Senior management is extremely visible and very involved. Acceptance and implementation of good company traditions is high.

Cons

Advanced training not available to everyone. No college partnership programs that I'm aware of. Work life balance is good, but could be better.

I believe that there should be bigger investments in the growth and training for AutoTrader.com's existing employees. If someone exhibits the drive and work ethic there should be no limitations to that person's access to company provided, relevant training. It has been said that AutoTrader.com's secret to success is its people, therefore, its people should be its biggest investment.

strong engineering culture

Former Employee - User Interface Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - User Interface Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than an year)

Pros

lots of highly talented people

Cons

laid off, revenue based on advertising dollars too tied to recessions

stop restructuring and moving employee's desks around

Top of the industry and outstanding company, but not for everyone.

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

• Fast growing with existing advancements each year.
    • Plenty of growth opportunity is most departments.
    • Employee feedback matters.
    • Plenty of industry and job related in-house courses and advancement programs.
    • Most executives are accessible, involved and pleasant.
    • The company is still new to being "BIG", so the family atmosphere is still there.
    • Amazing benefits.
    • Company loves and encourages "shadowing" and mentorships for career progressions.

Cons

• Many of the "needed" internal technical changes take years to launch.
    • Communication across departments is mediocre, so emergency/reactive solutions are abundant.
    • While the higher levels of leadership are of very high quality, middle and lower leadership often lack general and technical knowledge of the "trades" their managing. This problem leaves unaddressed opportunities a struggle to pursue and constant distractions from ego conflicts.

Within the technical departments (such as IT, Design, CMS teams), employ and promote individuals that have high knowledge and interest in the respective trades. For those who are currently managing technical groups, without knowledge of said trades, provide and require them to learn more about these industries outside of AutoTrader.com through external courses and seminars. If needed, bring in an outside consultant that knows more about these industries to help [you] gain more clarity for potential candidates. The work of the team will suffer if the leader is without experience and passion for the subject matter.

Good overall company but not too much opportunity for job growth

Current Employee - Informatica Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Informatica Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, job security, growing company

Cons

Does not have opportunities for career growth. Horrible development structure in IT. Often a lot of design decisions are made without proper analysis. Never has a consistent management structure.