AutoTrader

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.4

Sandy Schwartz

Pros
  • At one time you could make great money, work from home, cool parties, great product (in 12 reviews)

• It is a fast paced company but allow for great work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, multiple systems to work with that may not always talk to each other (in 16 reviews)

• Excessive meetings from upper management to lower level employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Advertising Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Advertising Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is fair, lots of opportunity for advancement. Huge company so if you're not happy with your position, there are plenty of other opportunities within the group. Great team and morale all around.

Cons

One of the cons is also one of it's pros. Making your own schedule and being self disciplined can be difficult but if done right can make the job that much better. Sometimes the territory you are assigned may be far away from your home but not too bad.

Awesome people, great opportunity, constant change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People, focus on employee development, private company with long term view

Cons

Change is constant, I have had half a dozen bosses in 2 years

Make a change and stick with it for a while; fatigue is starting to encroach in the workforce.

Downhill slide!!

I worked at AutoTrader

Pros

The benefits & PTO are average.

Cons

Micromanagement, Outdated platforms, Unrealistic sales goals, Upper management out of touch of reality in the market.

Get a clue with what is going on in the dealerships.

Company treats us very well-job is challenging

Current Employee - Advertising Consultant
    Current Employee - Advertising Consultant

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of perks. I feel like they truly want to always be getting better and are setting the bar high. It's great to work for an online company. Company car, phone, iPad...whatever I need in the field is provided. We are also a part of KBB.com which is an awesome asset to sell. Work independently and I set my own schedule. I am not micromanaged and I have lots of outside support. There are lots of opportunities to get more training and improve your skills.

Cons

It's a difficult job! Things are always changing (good and bad) and working with dealers is really tough. You have to be willing to learn and fight for the business.

Change the pay plan for sellers and compensate us for consulting. It's really tough to survive in a highly competitive environment and make money of of sales. You know how volatile it is for us...pay us for consulting.

Incredible opportunities abound for high performers looking to roll up their sleeves, work hard and be appreciated!

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Autotrader takes care of it's employees first and foremost.
    Dedication, commitment, knowledge and skill are highly valued and innovation is highly encouraged at all levels.

Cons

Accountability is an opportunity for improvement. This is not the place where you will move up by just showing up to work and collecting a check, but some people have adopted a habit of coasting in their current roles.
    If you work hard and contribute you will be rewarded and have more opportunities to shine.

Communication is always a challenge in an organization this size. Keep working at it!

Wonderful place to work.

I have been working at AutoTrader

Pros

Office environment is very relaxed but demanding. No micro managing. Plenty of growth if your a hard worker.

Cons

Sometimes it will take years before they hire you on from contracts. Traffic is horrible. Located on Hwy 285, the most congested area in Atlanta. If you live 5 miles away, it will take you 45 mins to get home.

More incentives for contractors to stay on.

Good Place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Leader
    Current Employee - Customer Service Leader

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, leadership cares, great benefits, awesome work/life balance

Cons

for me it's the location. Too far from where I live. a lot of favoritism. Turning into a different company than was started. Not sure where it's going.

Culture changing for the worse

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, nice facilities, great gym on site

Cons

No work life balance. Everyone is overloaded with work. Want you to be available all hours of the day. Stress is latest mode of operation. There has pretty much been a full regime change. New leaders are scattered, have their own selfish agendas and treat employees like slaves. Career growth is nonexistent. Change is constant confusing and disruptive

Be prepared for a lot more turnover. This company has become a factory. Communication and focus are at an all time low. Hire more people to handle all of your demands. Hire people that know what they are doing and know how to delegate, manage expectations, make decisions.

Be Careful.....

Current Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting company....they used to be known for their honesty....

Cons

Management....never think that they won't screw you over

tell the truth...PLEASE

Used to be a GREAT company, but the focus seems to be changing

Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in Savannah, GA

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and great people to work with. Advertising Consultants work from a home office and by bringing information, training and statistics to your dealers, you have the opportunity to positively affect the auto dealer's business.

Cons

Change in executive leadership in the last two years has resulted in changes in the overall focus of the company. The founder/CEO Chip Perry is gone, as well as Alan Smith, the developer of the consultative sales process they have used since around 2008. Both executives gave the impression of being extremely focused on the dealer customers and their AutoTrader.com employees. While the jury still seems to be out on the new CEO, sales commissions seem to be much smaller since his regime's arrival. The company now pays in line with other positions of this type, but they used to pay better for attracting the best available salesforce in the market. The work/life balance that corporate management so often speaks of is easier to achieve if you are in the corporate office, but barely exists in the sales arena. Before the changes in the monetary portion of the compensation plan, the lack of work/life balance was somewhat of a trade-off that could be more easily justified.

If you are going to talk about work/life balance, please find a way to lessen the workload to bring this issue in line with the amount of compensation being paid.
    Hire district managers from within who know the issues that their team faces on a daily basis and can assist in providing viable solutions. A manager should be able to lead from experience and not just bombard their charges with endless emails asking for explanations concerning issues to which they should already know the answer.
    This company has had a history of hiring some of the best sales people in the market, partly because of the compensation, but also because of the culture of the company. I hope this review is taken constructively as I wish this company much success in the future. Best of luck...