AutoTrader Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014
3.4

Sandy Schwartz

Pros
  • At one time you could make great money, work from home, cool parties, great product (in 12 reviews)

• allow for decent work-life balance) Company car (if you can get it) (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, multiple systems to work with that may not always talk to each other (in 16 reviews)

• Excessive meetings from upper management to lower level employees (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Incredible opportunities abound for high performers looking to roll up their sleeves, work hard and be appreciated!

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Autotrader takes care of it's employees first and foremost.
    Dedication, commitment, knowledge and skill are highly valued and innovation is highly encouraged at all levels.

Cons

Accountability is an opportunity for improvement. This is not the place where you will move up by just showing up to work and collecting a check, but some people have adopted a habit of coasting in their current roles.
    If you work hard and contribute you will be rewarded and have more opportunities to shine.

Communication is always a challenge in an organization this size. Keep working at it!

Wonderful place to work.

I have been working at AutoTrader

Pros

Office environment is very relaxed but demanding. No micro managing. Plenty of growth if your a hard worker.

Cons

Sometimes it will take years before they hire you on from contracts. Traffic is horrible. Located on Hwy 285, the most congested area in Atlanta. If you live 5 miles away, it will take you 45 mins to get home.

More incentives for contractors to stay on.

Good Place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Leader
    Current Employee - Customer Service Leader

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, leadership cares, great benefits, awesome work/life balance

Cons

for me it's the location. Too far from where I live. a lot of favoritism. Turning into a different company than was started. Not sure where it's going.

Great culture and good perks!

Current Employee - Business Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company provides a lot of opportunity for community service. Building space is excellent.

Cons

Management feels disorganized at times. A growing company so expect changes but feel that changes can be handled better.

A little more transparency in hitting our objectives

Used to be a GREAT company, but the focus seems to be changing

Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in Savannah, GA

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and great people to work with. Advertising Consultants work from a home office and by bringing information, training and statistics to your dealers, you have the opportunity to positively affect the auto dealer's business.

Cons

Change in executive leadership in the last two years has resulted in changes in the overall focus of the company. The founder/CEO Chip Perry is gone, as well as Alan Smith, the developer of the consultative sales process they have used since around 2008. Both executives gave the impression of being extremely focused on the dealer customers and their AutoTrader.com employees. While the jury still seems to be out on the new CEO, sales commissions seem to be much smaller since his regime's arrival. The company now pays in line with other positions of this type, but they used to pay better for attracting the best available salesforce in the market. The work/life balance that corporate management so often speaks of is easier to achieve if you are in the corporate office, but barely exists in the sales arena. Before the changes in the monetary portion of the compensation plan, the lack of work/life balance was somewhat of a trade-off that could be more easily justified.

If you are going to talk about work/life balance, please find a way to lessen the workload to bring this issue in line with the amount of compensation being paid.
    Hire district managers from within who know the issues that their team faces on a daily basis and can assist in providing viable solutions. A manager should be able to lead from experience and not just bombard their charges with endless emails asking for explanations concerning issues to which they should already know the answer.
    This company has had a history of hiring some of the best sales people in the market, partly because of the compensation, but also because of the culture of the company. I hope this review is taken constructively as I wish this company much success in the future. Best of luck...

In my opinion . . .

Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

cant think of any right now

Cons

no work-life balance, it's like having a job where you are on- call and must respond to your manager and customers right away, at night and on weekends

2014 compensation plan for Advertising Consultants is a detriment to employees

One of the best companies I've worked for

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People and environment are great. Fun projects to work on.

Cons

As with anywhere, there are some people and some departments that experience turmoil. I find that it's less here than at other places.

Keep doing what you're doing. Gain more focus as you have been over the past year. Slow down the number of changes taking place as that makes people nervous. At least be a little more transparent with changes.

The gateway to pay my mortgage off 10 years early

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Travel, benefits and pay.

Cons

constant tweaking of pay plan

lead - stop managing

Great place to work

I have been working at AutoTrader

Pros

Great pay. Lots of employee perks. Laid back environment. Lots of activities to keep workers interested.

Cons

Traffic is terrible, but that's with any company in that area. No real complaints yet.

No complaints so far. Need to be here longer to give accurate summation.

Constant fear for your job. Often told "There tons of applicants who want to work for us". WATCH YOUR BACK!

Current Employee - Account Representative
    Current Employee - Account Representative

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working from home. (allow for decent work-life balance) Company car (if you can get it). There have been some outstanding Managers/Directors who truly have served their teams (but they have all been quickly pushed out). Training was good which I will use with my next employer, THANKS!

Cons

Lack of upward mobility. Reps are Tasked to Sell Ads, Software, Web Sites, etc…. AND service and Billing…..REALLY?
    TONS OF NEPOTISM. "Public Face" portrays a caring company of Staff and Customers (It couldn't be further from the truth). Promotion is limited to Lateral moves or Relocation. Managers and Directors only look out for themselves by manipulating contracts to deliver to benefit their own pay plan. Strong account lists are often passed on to cronies of the Managers and Directors. Mediocre Service (at best) from HQ.

It would matter, advice not taken even with Internal Surveys. Executive Level took money out of company to "invest" but then later paid off its high level execs over $4MM each. Slowly , these Execs are "retiring"…Yeah we noticed.