AutoTrader

www.autotrader.com

AutoTrader Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Sandy Schwartz

Pros
  • At one time you could make great money, work from home, cool parties, great product(in 12 reviews)

• Work/life balance highly encouraged(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is gone since they have taken away things, like telecommuting(in 12 reviews)

• Excessive meetings from upper management to lower level employees(in 13 reviews)

Management

Management (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsYoung company, still building infrastructure
    Diversifying-no longer a one dimensional company
    Growth oriented for employees
    Exceptional benefits, which includes bonuses and stock options for management level

ConsStill in flux
    Unclear how to handle competition
    In the midst of changing company direction
    Very silo'ed organization, very little communication across departments

Advice to Senior ManagementRedefine company values to not just be corporate buzz-phrases
    Identify go to products
    Simplify product set

Anonymous

Anonymous (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsBenefits, free parking, nice incentive trips for sales. Very little to add.

ConsUnprofessional, criminal activities going on, poor management, management has no oversight on spending.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house.

HR Culture at ATC

Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIntelligent, fun (yet professional HR), hard working HR department. Employees are really motivated and love working at ATC. The culture is really lively and embraces change and innovation.

ConsExecutive leadership micro manages down to all levels and needs to improve delegation and empowerment. High turnover in the HR department due to poor leadership. Even the most motivate and intelligent HR members can not sustain the pace of change which often requires an average of 60-70 hours/week. Since I left there are only 2 of the original HR team members still on the team of 20

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your directors and managers so you can focus on the strategic initiatives of the future.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away from sales at this company.

Advertising Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsPay is decent and they provide a car allowance and nice trips for top sales performers.

ConsNo work/life balance: constant meetings, trainings, travel and lots of administrative work. If you are a die-hard sales person and don't mind working with tough car dealers, this job is for you. Sales, sales, sales, "what have you sold for me lately mentality." Not a good fit for those with small children.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care your people and stop switching accounts around. Dealers don't like it and our company gets a bad reputation on the street.

Good solid company

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSmart marketing team
    Enthusiastic sales force
    Great Ci, II , MI research team

ConsPoor leadership of cross functional activities
    Political fiefdom building that serves no real value or purpose for driving revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome cross functional evangelists a and servant leaders.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat parent company and benefits

ConsManagement is all white guys. Company doesn't value each department the same when deciding on bonus or stock options.

Sales Consultant

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsA true market leader in the classifieds realm... amazing potential and scope to the auto industry. With change being the constant they learned from their mistakes early on and in the last few years rolled out tech products better and more efficiently. Sales through Service was a great mantra, and in my opinion should have stayed. Clients liked us better, and the environment was much more relaxed.

ConsVERY... I repeat... VERY POOR middle level management. No consistency in such across the country, most of the manager's that I worked for had their own agenda in mind, NOT the client or ATC. The corporate america mentality killed the amazing workplace environment that the company had for many years.

Advice to Senior ManagementField reps are your true front line... not only as the revenue generators, but also your liaisons to the clients... consider this when training middle level management (RSD/DSM). 90% of the reps that I met in my time there had what it takes to make your company flourish, but were being restricted by "management" in one way or another.

Call Centre

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun to work with Pingpong at lunch.

ConsManagement does not care about you or your peers. No one care about your development.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around the honest and hard working individuals that work here.

Working Environment

Engineer (Current Employee) Dunwoody, GA

ProsAutoTrader has an excellent working environment, very friendly and flexible. It is a fast paced company but allow for great work life balance. Great Benefits!

ConsExcessive meetings from upper management to lower level employees. The cafeteria is limited in its options :). Other than that, all is great!

Former Advertising Consultant

Advertising Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsPay and benefits started off great.

ConsKept changing pay program resulting in lower income while telling you it would be to your benefit
    Managers had no management talents, taught to micro manage and toe the company line without regard to their own district composition.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop all the rah rah of the 600 lb gorilla and listen to your sales force.

Worked for AutoTrader? Contribute to the Community!