AutoTrader

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.4

Sandy Schwartz

Pros
  • At one time you could make great money, work from home, cool parties, great product (in 12 reviews)

• It is a fast paced company but allow for great work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, multiple systems to work with that may not always talk to each other (in 16 reviews)

• Excessive meetings from upper management to lower level employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

HR Culture at ATC

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent, fun (yet professional HR), hard working HR department. Employees are really motivated and love working at ATC. The culture is really lively and embraces change and innovation.

Cons

Executive leadership micro manages down to all levels and needs to improve delegation and empowerment. High turnover in the HR department due to poor leadership. Even the most motivate and intelligent HR members can not sustain the pace of change which often requires an average of 60-70 hours/week. Since I left there are only 2 of the original HR team members still on the team of 20

Empower your directors and managers so you can focus on the strategic initiatives of the future.

Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A true market leader in the classifieds realm... amazing potential and scope to the auto industry. With change being the constant they learned from their mistakes early on and in the last few years rolled out tech products better and more efficiently. Sales through Service was a great mantra, and in my opinion should have stayed. Clients liked us better, and the environment was much more relaxed.

Cons

VERY... I repeat... VERY POOR middle level management. No consistency in such across the country, most of the manager's that I worked for had their own agenda in mind, NOT the client or ATC. The corporate america mentality killed the amazing workplace environment that the company had for many years.

Field reps are your true front line... not only as the revenue generators, but also your liaisons to the clients... consider this when training middle level management (RSD/DSM). 90% of the reps that I met in my time there had what it takes to make your company flourish, but were being restricted by "management" in one way or another.

Working Environment

Current Employee - Engineer in Dunwoody, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Dunwoody, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

AutoTrader has an excellent working environment, very friendly and flexible. It is a fast paced company but allow for great work life balance. Great Benefits!

Cons

Excessive meetings from upper management to lower level employees. The cafeteria is limited in its options :). Other than that, all is great!

Stay away from sales at this company.

Current Employee - Advertising Consultant
    Current Employee - Advertising Consultant

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent and they provide a car allowance and nice trips for top sales performers.

Cons

No work/life balance: constant meetings, trainings, travel and lots of administrative work. If you are a die-hard sales person and don't mind working with tough car dealers, this job is for you. Sales, sales, sales, "what have you sold for me lately mentality." Not a good fit for those with small children.

Take care your people and stop switching accounts around. Dealers don't like it and our company gets a bad reputation on the street.

Former Advertising Consultant

Former Employee - Advertising Consultant
    Former Employee - Advertising Consultant

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits started off great.

Cons

Kept changing pay program resulting in lower income while telling you it would be to your benefit
    Managers had no management talents, taught to micro manage and toe the company line without regard to their own district composition.

Stop all the rah rah of the 600 lb gorilla and listen to your sales force.

Great for the aggressive sales person

Current Employee - Advertising Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Advertising Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing, industry is growing

Cons

Comp plan changes regularly. Poor management for my team.

AutoTrader IT dept

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time

Pros

Flexibility with work hours and time off, employee benefits and training to enhance personal growth

Cons

Too many politics, meetings about setting up meetings and individuals who do the bare minimum knowing very little will happen

Was a good company back in the day

Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not a bad job if you get a Manager that does not micro manage you.

Cons

Salary / Com. just keeps getting lower and lower every year. Dealerships were hating us when I left.

This is a great place

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at AutoTrader full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Flexibility
    Great Pay, Benefits
    Great products

Cons

Every job has cons. One man's ceiling is another man's floor. I didn't really experience anything negative that doesn't come with any job

Keep up the innovation!

Good company weighed down by some in management

Former Employee - Individual Contributor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Individual Contributor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoTrader full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great medical and dental plan, decent PTO (if you can get the time away), nice facilities and eating options, covered parking. Salary was slightly above market for my position which I appreciated. Free coffee and discounted lunch within the facilities. Fairly easy access to 285 both coming in and leaving.

Cons

If you're of the aggressive mindset, you may do fine. There's a very competitive spirit within the corporate office. One where managers sometimes put the best interests of their people second to projects which don't warrant the urgency. Each team will be different but overall I see a similar "race to the top" mindset by management. More of a "ready fire aim" approach which doesn't always make the best use of limited time. There are some exceptional individual contributors who are great at what they do. They must get their motivation from the rare occasion they are recognized for their contributions. While the company does have an entire floor dedicated to learning, good luck getting the time away to improve yourself through these opportunities. Also they have a floor dedicated as a break room with TVs and video games. Again, good luck finding the time to utilize these benefits. One last point, I have a hard time accepting management calling people "resources" openly. I understand that's what we are, but be a bit more "human" please.

Please look at how you really interact with your team. Develop them, don't just talk about it. Give them the time and space to do so. You have a great brand, but remember many others did at some point and fell from the top.