AutoZone

Updated September 25, 2014
2.8

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III
Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts (in 36 reviews)

• You can learn a lot about cars if you're around the right people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management wants employees to be a door mat and let everyone walk over them (in 65 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Full of politics

Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Parts Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Parts Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and immediate managers. very flexible hours and understanding if you need a day off.

Cons

District and Regional Managers are all about blowing smoke and fake promises. Along with plenty of micro managing.

Take more care of your employees. They are the face and talent that makes your bonus happen.

Sales management

Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Jackson, GA
    Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Jackson, GA

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

20-30 % discount provided for all employees

Cons

Most store locations are too under-staffed to provide quality customer service.

At a minimum, have (3) employees on duty at all times.

Not a bad place to get retail experience!

Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Cumming, GA
    Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Cumming, GA

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The experience I got working for autozone I still use today.

Cons

The sales goals are a little outrages for some of the products they expect you to push on customers.

Don't dock peoples' hours when the near over time.

challeging

Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager (PSM) in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager (PSM) in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AutoZone part-time (more than a year)

Pros

you will learn whats needing to repair cars

Cons

to many demands for the rate of pay.

Easy work, bad employees

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoZone full-time

Pros

The work was easy and the hours not bad 35 -40 a week.

Cons

Employees have horrible work ethic.

Care about your employees more and not just your customer!ERS.

Parts Sales Manager

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Lake City, GA
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Lake City, GA

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount card, discounts on products from other companies

Cons

not a set schedule, pressure to sell and no training

Store sales and commercial sales

Former Employee - Parts and Commercial Sales in Fayetteville, GA
    Former Employee - Parts and Commercial Sales in Fayetteville, GA

I worked at AutoZone part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

decent hours, easy work, commercial sales is more enjoyable.

Cons

poor pay, odd hours (closing and then opening the next morning) lack of respect, very little opportunities for advancement.

respect your employees, follow through with your promises.

Long hours never enough always wanting more

Current Employee - Store Manager in Decatur, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Decatur, GA

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

helping customers, helping people, pays the bills

Cons

long hours no appreciation no backing from upper management un real expectations for one person to fulfill

come to the store level to see what the managers go through on a daily basis.

Awful management, Pay doesn't reflect knowledge, No motivation to perform

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in McDonough, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in McDonough, GA

I worked at AutoZone part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sometimes you'll get good people to work with. decent job security, they will work around school schedule

Cons

The problem with AutoZone is that the store managers really have no authority to run their store. The company throws around the term 'manager' and they use people who have no business being in a leadership role to fill those positions. Everyone starts at the same pay, regardless of what you know. Discrimination is a real issue in the stores, and the schedule is very inconsistent. I worked here part-time for my first two years of college while getting my mechanical engineering degree, I have several ASE certifications, yet I was making less than the girl who didn't know what a spark plug was. Don't even bother trying to beat your sales goals, being a top performer doesn't mean you'll get better hours. Most of the 'managers' I came in contact with were very unprofessional, and had very little knowledge of the products they pushed us to sell. And the 20% "employee discount" is a joke, just visit their Facebook page and you can get 20% off coupons anytime without being an employee

Pay more money for higher caliber employees, Stop hiring people who don't know anything about cars

Great job for part time with flexibility or for a career with advancement

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked in different districts and under different store and district managers. I have good and bad experiences. I have had SMs and DMs cuss me and threaten my job and never give requested days off. But then I have also experienced great management. Very professional. Worked with my schedule while I completed school. It's retail, nothing is set. They are flexible but you must be as well as far as days, nights, weekends. Your discount isn't just on parts, you get discounts at retail clothing outlets, on HP computers, at the Apple store, at dealerships on cars, and even 20 percent off your cell phone bill, go to benefits on DOC and check it out! Under the right management advancement within the company is easily accomplished. Most people in the company want you to move up if you are a great employee. I suggest transfer to another store or district before quitting and then move up if you have trouble. HR is there for you and quick to help if needed. The pay is decent. The people are great.

Cons

Insurance sucks especially for part time employees. Part time employees may get few hours, like 10 a week, at slow stores or be forced into over time at high volume stores. Raises are kind of a joke don't expect much. You may have to be at the store until 9-11pm and turn around and be back at 7am.... it's retail, if you want a 9-5 mon- fri job, keep looking it's not here. Store managers can be expected to put in 50-70hrs a week since they are salary. Yes you have to push little extras with everything you sell. They track it to you personally. It can annoy customers especially if they are regulars, but you are doing your job. You are being paid to a job so just do it. You are being paid because this company makes millions off those little extra packs a year. What seems like $5 extra in one day to you is millions in one day across all the stores. People that are complaining they can't advance but also say the up sale is stupid don't deserve to move up because they don't see the big picture or the "business" that this is. Sell the stuff, it's the reason you have a job. Ability to sell is put above automotive knowledge in most cases during hiring. Use the computer as a tool. It can explain how to do most jobs so you can explain it to your customer. To move into any position above district management you will more than likely need a 4 year degree, you may need a 2 year to just advance to DM. I have worked for the company for a few years. I am a part time employee. I plan on advancing. Everyone has been helpful in explaining the steps I need to take to get there. They were flexible with me while I attended school. There is a lot of heavy lifting. You will be in the rain, snow, cold, hot, and dark doing batteries, wipers, ect....

Always praise employees when they get the numbers you want. Acknowledge the work they put in, it means a lot. Don't just get on to them when they don't do well. Balance is important. And make sure no one is cussing or threatening jobs at any store. SM's and DM's should be professional. And humans should not be treated like that and I would least expect it from a company as great as this. Weed out the ones that are unprofessional. Moral is important to the company because it is important to the employees. Ask me the turn over at the store that treated their employees badly? High! The ones that treat employees well? Low. It builds loyalty in your employees. They stay and take pride in their job and want to preform well for good managers and want to be a team. Employees you treat badly are gonna steal from you, do their job half butt, be late, and quit on you and it's your fault!