AutoZone

Updated November 17, 2014
2.8

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III
Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts (in 36 reviews)

• You can learn a lot about cars if you're around the right people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management wants employees to be a door mat and let everyone walk over them (in 65 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best job yet

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Probably best pay in the industry, good benefits

Cons

One holiday still stands, Christmas. Unreasonable hours. No recognition for effort or accomplishment. Company wants managers who work hard but blend into the background. No standouts, no questions, no opinions, no input. there is no bench, and the unyielding enforcement of the inadequate scheduling software makes running the business nearly impossible at times. There is no bench and the stores are perpetually short handed which causes huge morale issues. The company does nothing creative or resourceful to address these issues and seems to be following the example of walmart. Overall a very oppressive employer.

Where to begin?

Good people to work with, terrible company to work for...

Current Employee - Red Shirt in Hammond, IN
    Current Employee - Red Shirt in Hammond, IN

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are fellow co-workers that are fun to work with. Since I'm part time, I work a lot when the store manager is off duty. This lessens the need to adhere to all the BS rules.

Cons

Pay is a joke. Dress code is costly to afford (not provided) and strictly enforced even when its of no real importance to actual customers we serve. Employee discount is a joke. Autozone parts and products are poor and often replaced under warranty. They are portrayed as garbage by a large number of commercial account. Duralast name not well received. Commonly refer to as "Duracrap". Makes you install parts on customers cars (i.e. batteries, headlights, wiper blades) in horrible outside conditions. I don't get paid enough to be a parts installer.

Sack it up and do better. Your no where near as good as you think you are.

Work hard, succeed, and have little to show for it.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Glendale Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Glendale Heights, IL

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Full time work, benefits, and steady work.

Cons

Too much emphasis on the sale of add on and attachment items to the point of intimidation of store management and corrective write ups. Stores could be performing well, look great, and have excellent team members but without "wittdtjr" you were all failures. The sale of high margin widgets trumps all, even if it frustrates the customers.

While profits are important, please consider that those that you employ are also humans and potential customers. Having a strong sales culture is great but having a mature, well seasoned store staff that caters to your customer base and has a strong presence in the community may be better. High turnover and untrained staff cannot be as productive.

Terrible employer

Former Employee - Part Sales Manager in Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Part Sales Manager in Waukegan, IL

I worked at AutoZone part-time (more than an year)

Pros

resume filler commercial customers were great

Cons

everything job employer rules stores products policy changes constantly

figure your issues out nothing about this company males sense when employed in a store

Humble

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager (PSM) in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager (PSM) in Naperville, IL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job has good Benefits, good customers & is a very easy job when your job is done right. Overall I enjoy my job.

Cons

Pay vs. job knowledge & Tasks & Career Growth...

I have only been with AutoZone for a little under a year. I started out as a Red Shirt within weeks was promoted to a PSM. I am waiting for another promotion but it seems like our DM's are filled with empty promises from what I hear, and choose their buddies instead of someone that will get the job done right. since the time I have been here I have seen two different people go to one store that cannot touch the numbers I am putting up. Another store where my friend was store manager then he up and left the company for a competitor, The new guy they have in their it seems as every time I go to pick up a part or we have a red shirt go to get a part that that store manager is always just sitting in the back office on his sell phone. Which sounds to me like a great leadership skill and sets a great example for AutoZoners. I think that the DM's should pay a little more attention to what skills and how good of an asset the person they are promoting, instead of who kisses the most A**.

Fun work most of the time

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun staff and discounts, It was fun to help people.

Cons

Having to sometimes install batteries in cars, you were not necessarily trained to do.Standing up entire shift.

Competitive and busy work!

Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Darien, IL
    Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Darien, IL

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good schedule, good insurance options, good benefits.

Cons

Store managers and district managers can be a pain but as long as your store manager is cooperative you should have a good job experience.

Better salaries would attract better and educated employees leading to satisfied customers. I feel as if most of my co-workers did not even have the proper knowledge to work in this market.

Pay

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will receive a pay raise every year. If you are full time you will get benefits. They offer a bonus program for Store Manager.

Cons

The bonus program has changed to swing toward the company. The economy is horrible right now. They changed the bonus program to were you will receive it only if you make sales. There are four stores located within 5 miles of mine. So making sales is like winning the lottery now. A few store managers thought they would get the last quarter bonus for a least 3 weeks. The week before the payout would take place they changed our bonus numbers and said we didn't qualify for them. There just happed to be 5 weeks in the last period of the quarter and usually there is 4. They said the last week didn't count even though we were open for business and made sales. With them taking the last week away there went the bonuses. They don't care how they treat the people who run the store. Autozone is a multibillion dollar company how would giving out 15000 bonuses to the store level people affect the bottom line. Corporate got there bonuses. They are the lowest paying auto pars retailer out there. Yes the job hunt goes on.

Treat the people on your front line better. There is a reason they are going to the completion. We are the reason people spend money in your stores.

Nice place to start

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Bridgeview, IL
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Bridgeview, IL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They offer free ASE testing to all employees. Once you are in and are classified as full time they offer insurance, vacation, and certain paid holidays.

Cons

Very hard work both mentally and physically for substandard pay, micromanagement is the rule not the exception. Low raises, incompetent and lazy coworkers. overpriced insurance for the wages they pay the hourly employees. If you are not able to work the hours they want you are only going to be a part time employee.

Offer lower cost health insurance, Better compensation to retain good employees.

Easy job for gear heads

Current Employee - Parts Sales Representative - Customer Satisfaction in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy job to do. Flexible hours. Good management. Easily work your way up to parts sales manager.

Cons

No incentive to sell. Will take a while to move past a parts sales manager.

Give some incentives to the red shirts to sell the products that gets you your bonus!