AutoZone Reviews

Reset
2.1
AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III
Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • 20% discount is the only good thing (in 36 reviews)

• Fun environment to work in and you learn a lot (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours no appreciation no backing from upper management un real expectations for one person to fulfill (in 65 reviews)

• You start as part time for just over the minimum wage (in 43 reviews)

It has its ups and downs

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

The biggest pro is the flexibility. They are helpful in getting you the time off you need. I will say though it depends on your managers. See con's.
    I am in a store that a majority of the people have been there 3+ years. This is not common. For our store we are like a family.
    The employee discount is nice and every quarter they do an additional discount weekend.

Cons

My biggest con is the higher management. Depending on who it is can be awful. Two stores close to mine has huge turn over rates because the managers are terrible.
    They don't get rid of people or demote people that they should.
    I was lied to for months. I was promised a promotion that I never got.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees. Promote those that deserve it. You worry about our numbers Witt and coc. Give some kind if compensation for selling them. Most of the people I know work just hard enough to not get fired. Give them a reason to want to succeed.

2. All the negative comments are very true

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Waukegan, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Waukegan, IL

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (More than a year)

Pros

not a lot of pros except 20% discount only on certain items

Cons

too many to list:
    Poor hours, worse pay, no support from upper management, make u buy uniform, cut hours regularly so manager gets his stupid bonus, very poor training (you learn to teach yourself on the job as you learn), customers can be hostile and managers expect you to be a doormat, customers expect you to know everything, you're expect to push stupid grease packets which you don't even really need at all ur just selling them to make DMs look like they're doing a good job, little room for advancement, managers play favorites way to much, you have to be good at brownosing if u want to get anywhere in this company. I wouldn't recommend this job to a high school dropout.

Advice to Management

clean house. Most upper management only care about themselves only and don't care about the redshirts at all( nonmanagment)

3. Management by Spreadsheets and joining a cult

Former Employee - Regional Operations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Regional Operations in Chicago, IL

I worked at AutoZone full-time

Pros

Tons of locations with strong financial performance and wall street loves AZ! Great investment for your financial portfolio.

Cons

Culture is just plain weird. They do this "chant" at the beginning of every meeting. It is called a cheer, but is a cult-like chant. Weirdest thing that I've ever seen. They drive employees into the ground, grind suppliers until they go broke and know nothing but the retail side of the parts business. If you are a retailer, you may fit in, if you understand the commercial side of the parts business, work somewhere else because this place will drive you nuts.

Advice to Management

There are too many accountants on your senior team...get some diversity of experience on the team that can connect with your people. And for goodness sakes, kill the cult-like chant every five minutes! do a cheer, but kill the five minute chant! That is why I left. Too weird for normal folks.

5. hub driver

Current Employee - Hub Driver in Hammond, IN
    Current Employee - Hub Driver in Hammond, IN

I have been working at AutoZone part-time

Pros

It is an easy job for those who don't like work. Depending on who you work under it can be easy going.

Cons

Not a great pay. They only hire part time. It seems ok that management can abuse their power and play favorites and bend the rules to suit their own needs, other words the rules stand for some people and not others.

Advice to Management

Get better managent, people that care about the red shirt and not take the grey shirt so serously. We don't need people on power trips, who take time from work to go to autozone events but ride a couple of people for every little thing.

6. Ugh!

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at AutoZone

Pros

You get a gas card and a car. Decent but expensive insurance.

Cons

Training...lack of it. Fellow employees back-stabbing and in-fighting. Poor upper management that dishes out regular beat-downs.

Advice to Management

Be the "Culture" you talk so much and highly about.

7. Driver

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Naperville, IL

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

Not the best at all wow

Cons

More pay better cars wow

Advice to Management

Have a good advice too employee

8. It all depends on what your doing in life this job can either save you or break you depends on what situation your in.

Current Employee - Commercial Driver in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Commercial Driver in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros of this job for me have been pretty good. You get a nice discount on parts first off so a 120 dollar battery could cost you 90 instead. You meet and grow good connections with mechanics in your area which can save you lots of money and honestly if you slave hard enough you could move up in the company.

Cons

The worst parts about working for Auto zone. There health coverage in my area is horrendous. It would take most of your paycheck if your a part timer which is 90 percent of my store. The job you actually do here is ridiculous. Whoever runs autozone and makes the decision on all the stuff we have to do must be a terrible person. What they make us do for our crap pay is ridiculous. Scrub toilets sweep and mop the whole store dump over 200lbs of trash weekly. On top of all that we have to reorganize a whole store when new products come and still try to take care of customers. It is nearly impossible. Now comes the worst part of my job personally, auto zone likes to offer free installation on battery bulbs wipers and free check engines. So in one day I kid you not I would have 20 to 30 batteries to install over 50 bulbs and well over 30 wiper blades to do daily. Now I didn't even mention check engines cause I lose count after the first 20 mins. The company obviously cares about one thing only money. So when you sign up for the job be aware that the company only pays you to do one job but your actually doing several. You would think a company that makes this much money could hire a cleaning crew and stop offering there employees as mechanics but no. The worst part is if your not comfortable with being a mechanic for autozone cause you thought you were going to be a sales associate cause thats the title oh well they dont care. But none the less i stuck it out made it to the age of 21 and now i will work commercial which means i wont be installing batteries bulbs or wipers or the dreaded check engine codes any more hallelujah.

Advice to Management

You guys and gals as a company need to reevaluate what you make us autozoners offer cause most of it is unjust and shows that you don't care for the well being of the lowers that actually run the store while you guys sit down and have a meeting on how else you can screw us over. You need to get more departments for stores cause three people at night can't clean the whole store while installing and helping with customers it is ridiculously impossible but if you want to continue to wear down your poor employees at least pay them properly.

9. Commercial Sales Manager

Former Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at AutoZone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As much overtime as you would want, decent pay, flexible hours, and great benefits.

Cons

Opportunity for growth were rare and a lot of micromanagement.

Advice to Management

Provide positive feedback to associates instead of just negative feedback.

Good people to work with, terrible company to work for...

Current Employee - Red Shirt in Hammond, IN
    Current Employee - Red Shirt in Hammond, IN

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are fellow co-workers that are fun to work with. Since I'm part time, I work a lot when the store manager is off duty. This lessens the need to adhere to all the BS rules.

Cons

Pay is a joke. Dress code is costly to afford (not provided) and strictly enforced even when its of no real importance to actual customers we serve. Employee discount is a joke. Autozone parts and products are poor and often replaced under warranty. They are portrayed as garbage by a large number of commercial account. Duralast name not well received. Commonly refer to as "Duracrap". Makes you install parts on customers cars (i.e. batteries, headlights, wiper blades) in horrible outside conditions. I don't get paid enough to be a parts installer.

Advice to Management

Sack it up and do better. Your no where near as good as you think you are.

Best job yet

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Probably best pay in the industry, good benefits

Cons

One holiday still stands, Christmas. Unreasonable hours. No recognition for effort or accomplishment. Company wants managers who work hard but blend into the background. No standouts, no questions, no opinions, no input. there is no bench, and the unyielding enforcement of the inadequate scheduling software makes running the business nearly impossible at times. There is no bench and the stores are perpetually short handed which causes huge morale issues. The company does nothing creative or resourceful to address these issues and seems to be following the example of walmart. Overall a very oppressive employer.

Advice to Management

Where to begin?

RSS Feed </> Embed