AutoZone

Updated February 3, 2015
2.4

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III
Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts (in 36 reviews)

• You can learn a lot about cars if you're around the right people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management wants employees to be a door mat and let everyone walk over them (in 65 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Driver

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Naperville, IL

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

Not the best at all wow

Cons

More pay better cars wow

Have a good advice too employee

It all depends on what your doing in life this job can either save you or break you depends on what situation your in.

Current Employee - Commercial Driver in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Commercial Driver in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pros of this job for me have been pretty good. You get a nice discount on parts first off so a 120 dollar battery could cost you 90 instead. You meet and grow good connections with mechanics in your area which can save you lots of money and honestly if you slave hard enough you could move up in the company.

Cons

The worst parts about working for Auto zone. There health coverage in my area is horrendous. It would take most of your paycheck if your a part timer which is 90 percent of my store. The job you actually do here is ridiculous. Whoever runs autozone and makes the decision on all the stuff we have to do must be a terrible person. What they make us do for our crap pay is ridiculous. Scrub toilets sweep and mop the whole store dump over 200lbs of trash weekly. On top of all that we have to reorganize a whole store when new products come and still try to take care of customers. It is nearly impossible. Now comes the worst part of my job personally, auto zone likes to offer free installation on battery bulbs wipers and free check engines. So in one day I kid you not I would have 20 to 30 batteries to install over 50 bulbs and well over 30 wiper blades to do daily. Now I didn't even mention check engines cause I lose count after the first 20 mins. The company obviously cares about one thing only money. So when you sign up for the job be aware that the company only pays you to do one job but your actually doing several. You would think a company that makes this much money could hire a cleaning crew and stop offering there employees as mechanics but no. The worst part is if your not comfortable with being a mechanic for autozone cause you thought you were going to be a sales associate cause thats the title oh well they dont care. But none the less i stuck it out made it to the age of 21 and now i will work commercial which means i wont be installing batteries bulbs or wipers or the dreaded check engine codes any more hallelujah.

You guys and gals as a company need to reevaluate what you make us autozoners offer cause most of it is unjust and shows that you don't care for the well being of the lowers that actually run the store while you guys sit down and have a meeting on how else you can screw us over. You need to get more departments for stores cause three people at night can't clean the whole store while installing and helping with customers it is ridiculously impossible but if you want to continue to wear down your poor employees at least pay them properly.

Commercial Sales Manager

Former Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As much overtime as you would want, decent pay, flexible hours, and great benefits.

Cons

Opportunity for growth were rare and a lot of micromanagement.

Provide positive feedback to associates instead of just negative feedback.

Good people to work with, terrible company to work for...

Current Employee - Red Shirt in Hammond, IN
    Current Employee - Red Shirt in Hammond, IN

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are fellow co-workers that are fun to work with. Since I'm part time, I work a lot when the store manager is off duty. This lessens the need to adhere to all the BS rules.

Cons

Pay is a joke. Dress code is costly to afford (not provided) and strictly enforced even when its of no real importance to actual customers we serve. Employee discount is a joke. Autozone parts and products are poor and often replaced under warranty. They are portrayed as garbage by a large number of commercial account. Duralast name not well received. Commonly refer to as "Duracrap". Makes you install parts on customers cars (i.e. batteries, headlights, wiper blades) in horrible outside conditions. I don't get paid enough to be a parts installer.

Sack it up and do better. Your no where near as good as you think you are.

Best job yet

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Probably best pay in the industry, good benefits

Cons

One holiday still stands, Christmas. Unreasonable hours. No recognition for effort or accomplishment. Company wants managers who work hard but blend into the background. No standouts, no questions, no opinions, no input. there is no bench, and the unyielding enforcement of the inadequate scheduling software makes running the business nearly impossible at times. There is no bench and the stores are perpetually short handed which causes huge morale issues. The company does nothing creative or resourceful to address these issues and seems to be following the example of walmart. Overall a very oppressive employer.

Where to begin?

Work hard, succeed, and have little to show for it.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Glendale Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Glendale Heights, IL

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Full time work, benefits, and steady work.

Cons

Too much emphasis on the sale of add on and attachment items to the point of intimidation of store management and corrective write ups. Stores could be performing well, look great, and have excellent team members but without "wittdtjr" you were all failures. The sale of high margin widgets trumps all, even if it frustrates the customers.

While profits are important, please consider that those that you employ are also humans and potential customers. Having a strong sales culture is great but having a mature, well seasoned store staff that caters to your customer base and has a strong presence in the community may be better. High turnover and untrained staff cannot be as productive.

Terrible employer

Former Employee - Part Sales Manager in Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Part Sales Manager in Waukegan, IL

I worked at AutoZone part-time (more than a year)

Pros

resume filler commercial customers were great

Cons

everything job employer rules stores products policy changes constantly

figure your issues out nothing about this company males sense when employed in a store

Humble

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager (PSM) in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager (PSM) in Naperville, IL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The job has good Benefits, good customers & is a very easy job when your job is done right. Overall I enjoy my job.

Cons

Pay vs. job knowledge & Tasks & Career Growth...

I have only been with AutoZone for a little under a year. I started out as a Red Shirt within weeks was promoted to a PSM. I am waiting for another promotion but it seems like our DM's are filled with empty promises from what I hear, and choose their buddies instead of someone that will get the job done right. since the time I have been here I have seen two different people go to one store that cannot touch the numbers I am putting up. Another store where my friend was store manager then he up and left the company for a competitor, The new guy they have in their it seems as every time I go to pick up a part or we have a red shirt go to get a part that that store manager is always just sitting in the back office on his sell phone. Which sounds to me like a great leadership skill and sets a great example for AutoZoners. I think that the DM's should pay a little more attention to what skills and how good of an asset the person they are promoting, instead of who kisses the most A**.

Fun work most of the time

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun staff and discounts, It was fun to help people.

Cons

Having to sometimes install batteries in cars, you were not necessarily trained to do.Standing up entire shift.

Competitive and busy work!

Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Darien, IL
    Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Darien, IL

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good schedule, good insurance options, good benefits.

Cons

Store managers and district managers can be a pain but as long as your store manager is cooperative you should have a good job experience.

Better salaries would attract better and educated employees leading to satisfied customers. I feel as if most of my co-workers did not even have the proper knowledge to work in this market.