AutoZone Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated July 11, 2014
2.8

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III
Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts (in 31 reviews)

• Work schedule is pretty decent and the best benefit is the employee discount card (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours no appreciation no backing from upper management un real expectations for one person to fulfill (in 58 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Humble

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager (PSM)  in  Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager (PSM) in Naperville, IL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time for less than a year

Pros

The job has good Benefits, good customers & is a very easy job when your job is done right. Overall I enjoy my job.

Cons

Pay vs. job knowledge & Tasks & Career Growth...

I have only been with AutoZone for a little under a year. I started out as a Red Shirt within weeks was promoted to a PSM. I am waiting for another promotion but it seems like our DM's are filled with empty promises from what I hear, and choose their buddies instead of someone that will get the job done right. since the time I have been here I have seen two different people go to one store that cannot touch the numbers I am putting up. Another store where my friend was store manager then he up and left the company for a competitor, The new guy they have in their it seems as every time I go to pick up a part or we have a red shirt go to get a part that that store manager is always just sitting in the back office on his sell phone. Which sounds to me like a great leadership skill and sets a great example for AutoZoners. I think that the DM's should pay a little more attention to what skills and how good of an asset the person they are promoting, instead of who kisses the most A**.

Terrible employer

Former Employee - Part Sales Manager  in  Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Part Sales Manager in Waukegan, IL

I worked at AutoZone part-time for more than a year

Pros

resume filler commercial customers were great

Cons

everything job employer rules stores products policy changes constantly

figure your issues out nothing about this company males sense when employed in a store

Fun work most of the time

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR)  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AutoZone part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun staff and discounts, It was fun to help people.

Cons

Having to sometimes install batteries in cars, you were not necessarily trained to do.Standing up entire shift.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Competitive and busy work!

Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager  in  Darien, IL
    Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Darien, IL

I worked at AutoZone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good schedule, good insurance options, good benefits.

Cons

Store managers and district managers can be a pain but as long as your store manager is cooperative you should have a good job experience.

Better salaries would attract better and educated employees leading to satisfied customers. I feel as if most of my co-workers did not even have the proper knowledge to work in this market.

Pay

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will receive a pay raise every year. If you are full time you will get benefits. They offer a bonus program for Store Manager.

Cons

The bonus program has changed to swing toward the company. The economy is horrible right now. They changed the bonus program to were you will receive it only if you make sales. There are four stores located within 5 miles of mine. So making sales is like winning the lottery now. A few store managers thought they would get the last quarter bonus for a least 3 weeks. The week before the payout would take place they changed our bonus numbers and said we didn't qualify for them. There just happed to be 5 weeks in the last period of the quarter and usually there is 4. They said the last week didn't count even though we were open for business and made sales. With them taking the last week away there went the bonuses. They don't care how they treat the people who run the store. Autozone is a multibillion dollar company how would giving out 15000 bonuses to the store level people affect the bottom line. Corporate got there bonuses. They are the lowest paying auto pars retailer out there. Yes the job hunt goes on.

Treat the people on your front line better. There is a reason they are going to the completion. We are the reason people spend money in your stores.

Nice place to start

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager  in  Bridgeview, IL
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Bridgeview, IL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time for more than a year

Pros

They offer free ASE testing to all employees. Once you are in and are classified as full time they offer insurance, vacation, and certain paid holidays.

Cons

Very hard work both mentally and physically for substandard pay, micromanagement is the rule not the exception. Low raises, incompetent and lazy coworkers. overpriced insurance for the wages they pay the hourly employees. If you are not able to work the hours they want you are only going to be a part time employee.

Offer lower cost health insurance, Better compensation to retain good employees.

Easy job for gear heads

Current Employee - Parts Sales Representative - Customer Satisfaction  in  DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Representative - Customer Satisfaction in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at AutoZone part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy job to do. Flexible hours. Good management. Easily work your way up to parts sales manager.

Cons

No incentive to sell. Will take a while to move past a parts sales manager.

Give some incentives to the red shirts to sell the products that gets you your bonus!

absolutely miserable

Current Employee - Commercial Sales Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

nothing positive has ever come from working with this company. job security used to be a plus but the cut back in hours has left full timers with part time hours.

Cons

constantly put down by regional staff (dm, rm). terrible pay. terrible hours. lack of care for employees. no thought or idea from a store level employee is considered. you are simply a pawn in a chess game. no leadership from management. they tell you to do something with no guidance. if it isnt done properly you are held accountable and they will not help you to improve your performance.

give assistance to your employees when they need help. dont be a boss. be a leader. help create a positive work environment rather than putting people down.

Terrible upper management who are arrogant and often behave inappropriate.

Current Employee - Commercial Sales Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great mobility. Decent pay and benefits. Flexible hours ( as long as your not salaried).

Cons

Upper management tend to be uneducated, they often conduct business in illegal manners. For example forcing an employee to take a lunch an hour before their scheduled time to leave work., or making sexual jokes about other employees. This company has an employee relations department, however nothing ever is done with any the reports.

Management needs to stop being friends with each other and start reporting improper behaviors.

Started out great

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager  in  Shorewood, IL
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Shorewood, IL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good hours if the store you are working in, is in a decent location. Decent benefits. Not that hard to get promoted if you know what your doing. Company pays for ASE certification

Cons

Constant drama from upper management. Part-time employees refuse to do what the company requires and have a high turn over rate, makes management a lot harder. TONS of different reports to constantly stay on top of, and if your not, your going down fast. Also, get married to your store because that's all you will have time for.

Get a good crew and be prepared to be tough on your people. Upper management expects the world out of you with nothing in return.

Worked for AutoZone? Contribute to the Community!