AutoZone

AutoZone Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III

Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts(in 30 reviews)

• Work schedule is pretty decent and the best benefit is the employee discount card(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours no appreciation no backing from upper management un real expectations for one person to fulfill(in 58 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could(in 39 reviews)

keeps you busy.

Diy and Driver (Current Employee) Boise, ID

Prosgreat group of co workers

Consmanagement lacking in people skills

Advice to Senior Managementdo not care enough to make a suggestion

A fair place to work.

ProsFour 10 hour days making up 40 hours and still leaving you three days off.
    Most supervisors easy to approach.
    Increases every 6 months pending a performance review until you've reached the cap out limit.

ConsCertain parts of the year yield more mandatory overtime than others.
    It gets rather cold in the winter, so bundle up.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Environment nice people flexible

ConsCity is not very good

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love my job.

ProsCoworkers are great, pay is ok for a part time job. Easy to get time off. Easy work. Company seems to be growing

ConsI cannot think of anything. The policy for answering the phone seems backwards. They want you to drop everything to answer the phone, even if that means cutting off the customers you are working with in the store, I would think the people in the store spending money would take priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about changing emphasis on phone calls.

Great Company to work for!

Regional Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsManager's that care and dedicated to growing their employees.

ConsI don't have anything negative to say about the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to train and develop your teams GO AUTOZONE!

Be prepared for inconsistent work schedule

Parts Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsIf you like helping people with their problems, this is a great place to start. Clean stores, good quality merchandise.

ConsInconsistent schedules, cranky customers, pressure from DM to perform better. Unless you smoke, you don't get breaks other than lunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider scheduling more people on the weekends. Most people who are off on weekend, like to do their shopping on those days. You put two people to work .... guess what .... long lines, unhappy customers, overworked employees.

Over worked and underpaid

Store Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsUmm I would say the discount and that's about it! U get health care as a full timer but you can get that any where! Just don't be fooled by their lies during the interviews

ConsIf you're planing on working for autoZone as a store manager I highly recommend thinking twice! They make you run the store with only one other person and that person usually is an 18 year old part time kid who you have to send him out to do courtesy battery and light bulb installs while u stay inside helping the 20 customers going crazy for attention! They will under pay you and never really give u a solid raise! You work 50hours a week and your bonus will be a joke!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the only people who actually make sales for the company! Which is the people in the store! All the rest of you are useless just remember that! Without paying your team the right wage you will constantly see them jumping ship!

Poor corporate structure and management abound

Salesperson (Current Employee)

ProsYou'll learn quite a bit about how vehicles work if you didn't already. As a minimum wage job, you could do far worse; working with auto parts can teach you some practical mechanical skills that you won't pick up at McDonalds or Walmart.

ConsThere were no opportunities to advance; I was a college student with a Bachelor's degree (earning a second) and would have liked a shot at management, but 3/4 of the staff were already managers. Pay raises for experience or performance were nonexistent. Our store was always understaffed, making it very difficult to coordinate shift swaps to accommodate life events and made it stressful when we were slammed. Poor scheduling ensured that there was no way to develop a work-life routine since it was always morphing (you might work ten hours one day and four hours the next). Poor management meant little to no delegation of duties; freight almost always took a week to stock, main store and bathrooms were messy, missing tickets for customer orders, etc. Silly corporate policies like passwords made mundane tasks tedious; workers and customers would grow impatient standing around (sometimes for minutes) until a manager became available to input a password and approve a ninety-nine cent return. And then you need another password at the register... All of these experiences overall contributed to poor job satisfaction and low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe assertive, delegate tasks, praise good behavior and discipline poor, empathize with your employees, develop a sense of graciousness and help them succeed, even if they are surpassing you in life.

CSR

Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsFriendly Service , Fun to work for

ConsPoint System for tartyness late and days called off

Actually a pretty bad company

Commercial Driver-pt/DIY Sales/Commercial Assistant (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Pros- Good 20% discount on all things but Vendor Parts and Oil, Outside discounts from Cars to Computers
    - Full Time Benefits + Guaranteed hours when full time
    - Bill Rhodes is an excellent CEO, though has sufferedair share of mistakes too.
    - (At other stores) Generally Flexible with schedule
    - Good social environments most of the time, pending co-workers and management mix
    - Good retail education
    - Decent work conditions in most locations
    - Unique Customer Service approach in WOW! Customer service
    - Decent Temporary work place to get you by
    - Good Corporate direction, with massive miscommunication dripping into lower management

Cons- No living wage in California. We're paid $10.00 an hour across California, which is either minimum wage or just above it

- Often unreliable computer systems and equipment, dated as far back as ten years old. Old, used, crashing computers and hand-me-down scanners often break and high ups never heed requests for newer replacement equipment.

- Little to no proper training on the "Do's and Don't's" of Autozone. You get a booklet with policies, but find out later that you can be written up due to the passing of a family member, a car accident, a medical condition or similar life-changing and traumatic events. This can be the target of major lawsuit for rmismanagement and mistreatment of employees personal happenings.

- Promotions are actually based upon whether you promote AZ culture, more than your sales. I have worked at my location for a year as a commercial driver. However, I'm utilized in nearly EVERY position, especially DIY and Commercial Management. I am a Red Shirt COMMERCIAL DRIVER, and have never received a performance review in my time here. And yet I just helped train two new part time sales associates and a BRAND NEW COMMERCIAL MANAGER. A Red Shirt with training and experience had to teach a new gray shirt from out of state how to do the job he already said he knew how to do. For $10.00 an hour, part time, with zero benefits.

- In the entire year I have worked for this company, not once have I received a raise, regardless of good sales numbers on WITTIDJR, CoC and General high-ticket items. Numbers only matter on bonuses and end-of-day printouts.

- Management has quick turnover rates, either by promotion or layoff/firing, and there is never any stability in most stores infrastructure, through most of the Peninsula.

- Unrealistic expectations held to sales numbers of certain items, compared to different regions with different populations demogrpahics. They treat the business and its demographics as all one and the same

- Employee conference calls are a throwback to the 1980s, where instead of promoting the good things that places did and noting what can be improved upon for later, it is instead drilled into store managers heads that everything they do is still not good enough, that everything will always need improvement, and that every bad thing that happens to a location may cost them their job some day. The usage of fear tactics in the employment ranks, no matter how outdated and counter productive they may be, are rife within much of the District Management.

- Breaks California State Labor Law by requiring employees to buy their own uniforms with no reimbursement or deduction, going so far as to have their own ZNET Section for ordering said clothes and making a pure profit off of this. This is a major issue in California that may soon be a target of class action lawsuit.

- Opportunities for advancement are only reflected by ones ability to "Talk a good game and take action when deemed appropriate. Your numbers wont give you the promotion - but the way you kiss butt will" A quote from a former manager.

-In a recent turn, many full time employees were dropped to "just" below part time hours, to deem them part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could. As such, I have noted many people in higher positions have left due to total loss of benefits. Because all hours are based on sales, "overscheduling" is used to rationalize this action to scrub away "Guaranteed Hours"

- Scheduling is 100% unreliable, often times due to store managers overlooking requests for days off and claiming forgetfulness or simply not caring. For instance, in this last week, a message was handed down to all employees from the store manager stating that "Because they and t ily are going to Disneyland, no one can request a day off regardless of their own plans. That meant that we must all go off of his life plans and have any of our own, as employees honored - regardless of stated availability.

- The ability for all Management to edit time cards and change the number of hours spent working, leading to a difficult environment to build trust. There have been incidences where hours were changed and less time was given depending on hours worked and so forth.

Overall? A façade is in place over the true issues that lie in this companies nationwide and even international operation. Major changes are required for several regions if proper, legal expansion is to be expected. Otherwise, employee rights will continue to be encroached upon, and this companies already low approval score will continue to anchor its way down to the depths of Job Hell until something major happens to force proper change. This place will continue to spiral down if it continues along its projected path.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, and back them when it is deserved.

Do not take advantage of certain employees abilities and hold them to a lower level because "You need the space filled."

Develop a game plan, by prioritizing certain events and certain days and figuring out what should be done and how much should be done.

And please, PLEASE remember that, beneath the Store Manager.

Worked for AutoZone? Contribute to the Community!