AutoZone

AutoZone Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III

Bill Rhodes III

Pros:
  • "You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts"
    in 29 reviews
  • "20% Off Employee Discount, The more sales the more work hours given if part-time"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours no appreciation no backing from upper management un real expectations for one person to fulfill"
    in 54 reviews
  • "Their pleas to leave being denied by district managers"
    in 37 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Just antoher job to make it by

Customer Service (Former Employee)
    Moreno Valley, CA

Prosa paycheck till somethng better comes

Consno training no leadership no benefits

Advice to Senior Managementorganizational skill training for management

PSM

Psm (Current Employee)
    Dayton, OH

Prosyou get a discount of 15% and 30% on special holidays or employees appreciation.

Consworking 10-12 hr shift and 1 hr break.

Intern - e commerce

E-commerce (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

Prosgood management and a wonderful headquarters

Consonly care about bottom line

Advice to Senior Managementbe better mentors

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ok.

Commercial Driver-pt and Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Taft, CA

Prosflexible schedule, learning new things all the time

Consfew hours, low pay and low promotion opportunities

hub driver. auto zone has its ups and downs (san jose california)

Hub Driver (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

Pros- free free at the lobby if you work at the big auto zones (heard the my store was the only one who did that) lucky me
    - i loved most of my co workers chill and funny.. Wednesday baseball games which is super fun
    - job is pretty simple you drive for 3-4 hours and drop parts off at certain stores you don't have to deal with customers(most part).. for sure better than working in retail in my opinion..
    - 20% discounts on store and other cool stuff like some computers and phone service/cable
    - if you're looking for a job that pays $9-10+/hr apply at auto zone as a hub or commercial driver.. they're literally always hiring which is good for the environment

Cons- lack of schedule is horrible.. not knowing if you're working next week so you cant make plans.. so annoying
    - calling in sick or if someone died in your family you CAN STILL get written up for it.. which is pathetic.
    - pay as a hub driver is $10 which is bad because min wage is already 10 here.. was expecting 11-12 at the start.
    - you have to wear and pay the dress code which dumb.. paying $40-70 out your pocket just to obey their dress code
    - as a hub driver driving 4-5 hours will get you tired and hungry.. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED to buy food on the shift which is also sad.. this rule needs to be changed! when you drive for that long you should be able to take snack break to stay awake or grab an energy drink... i break the rules and still get done on time so just try to make it back on time.
    - took 1 1/2 months to actually suit up and get hired.. the process of working here is a drag.. they call you for an interview (2 weeks)if they like you then another 2 weeks wait for the 2nd interview then 2 weeks later they ask for info.. 1-2 weeks later ask if you are available..next week you come in..

Advice to Senior Managementpromotions seem easy which is always good.. i just started working here 2 weeks ago and i heard its easy.. but idk cuz havent happened to me yet.

Amazing company with a lot of opportunity to grow.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Kenner, LA

ProsFast paced environment. You are constantly learning. The schedules are very flexible. Opportunity to advance is excellent. It has great benefits and opportunity for overtime.

ConsHonestly there are cons in every workplace. It's all about the dedication and work you out into it. You will go as high as you want. Just out in the hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPraise you're employees.

Learning every day

Part Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Winston-Salem, NC

ProsNo layoffs sleep well at night

ConsWork ever weekend and most Holiday

Advice to Senior Managementrotate weekend more

Actually a pretty bad company

Commercial Driver-pt/DIY Sales/Commercial Assistant (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

Pros- Good 20% discount on all things but Vendor Parts and Oil, Outside discounts from Cars to Computers
    - Full Time Benefits + Guaranteed hours when full time
    - Bill Rhodes is an excellent CEO, though has sufferedair share of mistakes too.
    - (At other stores) Generally Flexible with schedule
    - Good social environments most of the time, pending co-workers and management mix
    - Good retail education
    - Decent work conditions in most locations
    - Unique Customer Service approach in WOW! Customer service
    - Decent Temporary work place to get you by
    - Good Corporate direction, with massive miscommunication dripping into lower management

Cons- No living wage in California. We're paid $10.00 an hour across California, which is either minimum wage or just above it

- Often unreliable computer systems and equipment, dated as far back as ten years old. Old, used, crashing computers and hand-me-down scanners often break and high ups never heed requests for newer replacement equipment.

- Little to no proper training on the "Do's and Don't's" of Autozone. You get a booklet with policies, but find out later that you can be written up due to the passing of a family member, a car accident, a medical condition or similar life-changing and traumatic events. This can be the target of major lawsuit for rmismanagement and mistreatment of employees personal happenings.

- Promotions are actually based upon whether you promote AZ culture, more than your sales. I have worked at my location for a year as a commercial driver. However, I'm utilized in nearly EVERY position, especially DIY and Commercial Management. I am a Red Shirt COMMERCIAL DRIVER, and have never received a performance review in my time here. And yet I just helped train two new part time sales associates and a BRAND NEW COMMERCIAL MANAGER. A Red Shirt with training and experience had to teach a new gray shirt from out of state how to do the job he already said he knew how to do. For $10.00 an hour, part time, with zero benefits.

- In the entire year I have worked for this company, not once have I received a raise, regardless of good sales numbers on WITTIDJR, CoC and General high-ticket items. Numbers only matter on bonuses and end-of-day printouts.

- Management has quick turnover rates, either by promotion or layoff/firing, and there is never any stability in most stores infrastructure, through most of the Peninsula.

- Unrealistic expectations held to sales numbers of certain items, compared to different regions with different populations demogrpahics. They treat the business and its demographics as all one and the same

- Employee conference calls are a throwback to the 1980s, where instead of promoting the good things that places did and noting what can be improved upon for later, it is instead drilled into store managers heads that everything they do is still not good enough, that everything will always need improvement, and that every bad thing that happens to a location may cost them their job some day. The usage of fear tactics in the employment ranks, no matter how outdated and counter productive they may be, are rife within much of the District Management.

- Breaks California State Labor Law by requiring employees to buy their own uniforms with no reimbursement or deduction, going so far as to have their own ZNET Section for ordering said clothes and making a pure profit off of this. This is a major issue in California that may soon be a target of class action lawsuit.

- Opportunities for advancement are only reflected by ones ability to "Talk a good game and take action when deemed appropriate. Your numbers wont give you the promotion - but the way you kiss butt will" A quote from a former manager.

-In a recent turn, many full time employees were dropped to "just" below part time hours, to deem them part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could. As such, I have noted many people in higher positions have left due to total loss of benefits. Because all hours are based on sales, "overscheduling" is used to rationalize this action to scrub away "Guaranteed Hours"

- Scheduling is 100% unreliable, often times due to store managers overlooking requests for days off and claiming forgetfulness or simply not caring. For instance, in this last week, a message was handed down to all employees from the store manager stating that "Because they and t ily are going to Disneyland, no one can request a day off regardless of their own plans. That meant that we must all go off of his life plans and have any of our own, as employees honored - regardless of stated availability.

- The ability for all Management to edit time cards and change the number of hours spent working, leading to a difficult environment to build trust. There have been incidences where hours were changed and less time was given depending on hours worked and so forth.

Overall? A façade is in place over the true issues that lie in this companies nationwide and even international operation. Major changes are required for several regions if proper, legal expansion is to be expected. Otherwise, employee rights will continue to be encroached upon, and this companies already low approval score will continue to anchor its way down to the depths of Job Hell until something major happens to force proper change. This place will continue to spiral down if it continues along its projected path.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, and back them when it is deserved.

Do not take advantage of certain employees abilities and hold them to a lower level because "You need the space filled."

Develop a game plan, by prioritizing certain events and certain days and figuring out what should be done and how much should be done.

And please, PLEASE remember that, beneath the Store Manager.

Corporate World

Parts Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsSteady job, good for customer interaction. Great for building customer handling skills. Pay not horrible.

ConsMoving up in the company is about snitching on employees and winning a popularity contest way more than the actual work you do. Schedule changes every week, and you don't find out until just 2-3 days before the week starts what your week looks like.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvance people based on their work, not what they say bad about other employees. Give standard schedules.

Miserable experience.

Parts Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsThere are not many positive aspects to this job. I enjoy working on cars, so being under the hood of many different types of cars was very enjoyable for me. They do offer paid vacation to full time employees, which I also enjoyed.

ConsWhere do I start? The only thing this company cares about is their profits and their shareholders. They show very little interest in the welfare of their employees or customers.There is no regular shift for any employee and the scheduling is often completely nonsensical. For instance, I was picked to stay after closing to sit with the crew cleaning the floors. I was scheduled in at 4pm and did not leave until 3am. I was scheduled to open (6:45am), and work until 5pm the next day. I worked nearly 19hrs in a 24hr period.We were constantly under extreme pressure to hit sales goals which were unreachable most of the time, and were forced to cut hours if we did not reach them.We were forced to cut hours to meet labor percentages even if it meant that the store could not properly function. They allow no overtime under any circumstances. For instance, I was once ordered to send the only delivery driver home early when we had pending orders to prevent him getting seven minutes of overtime.We were expected to be able, without any training, to accurately diagnose problems with customers' vehicles without being able to perform the proper tests in most cases. We were called "parts experts" in ads while the majority of employees had little to no automotive knowledge. This leads to a great deal of confusion with both the customers and employees due to the fact that the customers were lead to believe that we were trained mechanics. In addition, due to the labor percentage requirements, the stores were always understaffed. Under normal circumstances, the stores were run with about half the number of employees that were needed to run them properly. Often we were working with only two employees, leaving one employee installing various parts in the parking lot, while the other employee looked up parts, did checkouts, and helped customers inside the store. This led to a great deal of theft ad many unhappy customers. We were forced to install parts in the parking lot, regardless of the weather conditions. I was forced to install a light bulb in a snow storm, and worked many shifts in wet clothes from installing parts in the rain with no cover.The average raise(given every six months), with a perfect evaluation, was often twenty cents an hr or less. I received $1.55 in raises in six years with the company. The was virtually no opportunity for promotion within the store setting.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more interest in the welfare and happiness of both the employees and the customers, and profits will follow.

Worked for AutoZone? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AutoZone reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AutoZone CEO Bill Rhodes III. All 583 reviews posted anonymously by AutoZone employees.