AutoZone

AutoZone Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III

Bill Rhodes III

Pros:
  • "You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts"
    in 29 reviews
  • "20% Off Employee Discount, The more sales the more work hours given if part-time"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours no appreciation no backing from upper management un real expectations for one person to fulfill"
    in 54 reviews
  • "Their pleas to leave being denied by district managers"
    in 37 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

If there were a Horrible Bosses Part 2 it should be filmed here

Accounts Receivable (Current Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsThe only pro I can think of is the fact that you only have to stay there for 8 hours a day, no weekends no overtime.

ConsManagement lacks the ability to communicate effectively with their staff. No sick days. After working for one year you get 5 vacation days. Mgmt wants to know why you were 2 minutes late even though they were 3 hours late and left early for the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry leading by example!!!!!

Satisfied

Part Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYou get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts. Fun atmosphere. At times, very amusing what you hear from customers at times who you can tell should not even be allowed to touch a vehicle.

ConsYou don't have a consistent schedule from week to week, depending on your store manager and how well they can write the schedule. Some of the sales goals are a little out of reach for some areas. At times, it seems there's never enough time in the day to get everything done, but I suppose that's the same for any job really.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinitely work on trying to find ways to motivate employees in the sales goals. Don't take it out on the whole store if there are just one or two people not offering products. Pull the weeds, not the whole lawn.

No management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo workers, helping the public

ConsPay, upper management, hours, no training program

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a training manual ( 1 for red shirts, 1 for psms, 1 for assistant mgr...) have a rotating schedule for employees to have like every 3rd weekend off, have training school for a week before starting employees in their store..pay should be according to knowledge and experience

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Only cares about their profits

Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsDiscount, experience and nothing much

ConsForget about your life, can't do anything unless you are part time, even at that your lucky to get enough to pay for the gas

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees more, stop the free testing as it puts more work load on a regular 2 member crew.

Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsI like working for AutoZone because it's a company that cares about their employees as well as their customers. I'm very big on customer service. and personal treatment.

ConsSome of the challenges working here is every transaction is different and every customer is a world by it self
    but on the other hand it's a good challenge

Advice to Senior ManagementI always say i'm big on the way upper management treats their employee I say that if an employee is doing things right they should get a pat on their back. Just like when they do something wrong they are corrected.

Not a "career." Lots of lip service and very little action. Racism is an issue.

PSM/CSM (Current Employee)
    Birmingham, AL

ProsTheir paychecks don't bounce. A/c in the summer. Heat in the winter. Employee discount. That's about it!

ConsLong hours, low pay. Work every weekend, never get two days off in a row. Late nights followed by early mornings. Ruins any home life. Zero quality of life. Always on your feet. Never enough of the right kind of help. They hire a lot of morons and it takes an act of congress to get rid of them. Black on white racism is rampant in the Birmingham regional. Very political. If you are white, you won't get advanced. The level of knowledge and multi-tasking required is out of balance with compensation. Under a lot of pressure to drive sales and push unneeded items at customers. Slow sales week? They start cutting hours which hurts paychecks. Got the picture yet? Company gross is 5-10 billion. CEO makes in excess of 4 mill/yr. Those doing the work are the lowest compensated. Typical income gap destroying the middle class kind of company. Parts not made in America. Need I say more? They don't care about people, only their KPI's.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the fat. Pay intelligent hard workers a living wage. Get rid of the lazy morons riding the gravy train. Both types exist at all levels. Get out of the back room office once in a while and spend some time in trenches, i.e. at the counter. Bust up the middle management "cartel of color " in the Birmingham area. Wake up, the coffee is brewing.

horrible

Parts Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Bronx, NY

Prosmy employees were great and some customers were also.

Conseverything the pay is horrible home life is non existant and the work load is too much compared to what you are payed

Advice to Senior Managementi started in management so idk

Sales

Auto Parts Sales (Former Employee)
    Shawnee, OK

ProsFlexible hours and pay for the average person. What you don't know they can teach you all in all not a bad company

ConsNot flexible to emergency workers ie. firefighters and ems workers. So if you are a volunteer and get caught on a long fire and are a few min late it will be the end of you at autozon.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible with your employees who serve civil duties

challeging

Parts Sales Manager (PSM) (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

Prosyou will learn whats needing to repair cars

Consto many demands for the rate of pay.

Smoke and mirrors; they want you to be a upstanding person, but they aren't that way.

Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee)
    Eastpointe, MI

ProsI like the people, either working or helping others, I like them.

ConsI got hurt at work and my doctor put me on restrictions, they never scheduled me again. I also called the district manager to find out what was going on, and he never called me back.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe upstanding, don't just say you are but be it show it and you will get and keep good upstanding people.

Worked for AutoZone? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AutoZone reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AutoZone CEO Bill Rhodes III. All 582 reviews posted anonymously by AutoZone employees.