AutoZone

Updated November 11, 2014
2.8

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III
Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts (in 36 reviews)

• You can learn a lot about cars if you're around the right people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management wants employees to be a door mat and let everyone walk over them (in 65 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at AutoZone part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A fairly relaxed environment. You are not required to be an expert. The hours are very flexible.

Cons

Promotions do not mean much. Pay is about average for retail, which is terrible. Management fails to cummunicate with its employees.

They are always hiring

Former Employee - Commercial / DIY in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Commercial / DIY in Houston, TX

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is great if you are a gear head.

Cons

The pay could be better but doesn't matter if you are an excellent employee or a lazy one you are not recognized at all.

Wages should be determined by the quality of work and work ethic not by the color of your shirt.

Only cares about their profits

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Houston, TX

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount, experience and nothing much

Cons

Forget about your life, can't do anything unless you are part time, even at that your lucky to get enough to pay for the gas

Pay employees more, stop the free testing as it puts more work load on a regular 2 member crew.

Not flipping burgers, but not too far from "human robot" type labor

Current Employee - Psm in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Psm in Houston, TX

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- decent benefits offered

- slightly above minimum wage entry level positions

Cons

- motivational posters sent from corporate have been hung in our office which pose the question "what are you doing to make sure that i'll be a return customer?" My answer would be "well sir, between the 2 employees you've staffed per shift to cover sales, phones, online orders, VDP orders, HUB orders, truck delivery, HUB delivery, FEDEX delivery, cycle counts, inventory, openings, closings, store cleaning, front-facing, overstock, check in returns, managers next day review, change orders, armored car, battery/alternator/starter testing, check-engine-light testing, drawer counts X3, petty cash counts, drawer reconciliations X3, I'm doing all that I can to keep the customer happy. I would then pose the question right back to them, "besides short-staffing your store with 2 employees to maximize profits, what is corporate doing to keep our customers happy, besides creating excessive lines and wait times created by the under-staffing?"

- corporate will not prosecute shoplifters or allow employees to notify law enforcement of violators

- not nearly enough people scheduled or adequately staffed to complete the "daily corporate workload task-list"

- pressured to convince the customer to buy that almighty "holy water" of automobiles, (engine oil and fuel additives), which, as any chemist, race engine builder, or oil analysis lab will tell you, works on the same principle as holy water (faith, not science)

- corporate pressure to hustle the customer to buy ketchup-condiment-sized packages of unneeded greases, also known as WITTDTJR

Its fairly obvious to an astute observer that you profits are paramount, taking precedent over your customers and employees alike. Bring the company back to old fashioned standards where customers and employees are not treated like cattle, but rather, like invaluable business partners. When the employees are well cared for, their customers are well cared for as well. When you dumb-down the pay and treatment of employees to fast-food-industry levels, your customers pay a price, and as a result, so does your profitability and stock price.

Commercial Driver

Former Employee - Commercial Driver in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Commercial Driver in Houston, TX

I worked at AutoZone part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you know a lot about cars and maintenance, you will have plenty to offer. If you don't, you will have opportunities to learn. Knowledge gained is very valuable whenever that next catastrophe happens. The work is straightforward and the people you work with are generally very relatable. My job consisted of driving all day, which made time fly.

Cons

Pay is fairly low, with few chances to move up. Many employees don't have good customer service skills despite technical knowledge. Managers are always busy and as such aren't available to teach or help you along.

Include formal training that extends beyond one Saturday.

The AutoZone Life: Red Shirt

Current Employee - Auto Parts Sales in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Auto Parts Sales in Katy, TX

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (more than an year)

Pros

20% employee discount on some items, the company gives us an extra 15 minutes to get to work without receiving a point if you don't arrive exactly on time, there's always something new to learn, working there can be a lot of fun if you have the right staff, and during the weekends (sometimes) , the store receives extra hours and a manager may call you to see if you'd like to work for those extra hours. Discounts with T-Mobile services, mortgage, car insurance, etc.

Cons

Part time workers do not receive a paid vacation even if you've been with the company for a long time, benefits aren't that great, especially since they take so much out of your paycheck, rude customers, horrible training (they basically throw you out there for you to learn on your own), the company offers free services: read codes if a vehicle has a check engine light on, battery, starter, and alternator testing, battery, bulbs, and wiper blades (depends on vehicle) installment. We aren't getting paid extra to do these services! We are required to sell with no commission, we all clean our restrooms, mop, sweep and stock our own merchandise. Work schedule is always changing, it is never constant and hours being received are often increasing or decreasing.

Store managers: I remember when I first got hired I was extremely scared of being on the floor with no proper training what's so ever. If you would please take the time to explain to the new employees how the system works, for example: wittdtjr, to always scan reward card even if it isn't over the $20 so we can still get the amount of percentages we need to meet our goal, to use credit or debit card on the computers instead of using the cash register, to always be friendly on the phone and put as many parts on hold as possible, always order from the HUB or VDP to increase our percentages. Guide or teach the new employees how to properly scan a vehicle before making the decision on installing batteries, bulbs and wiper blades and of course teach them how to install these items as well. And one more thing, on item of the month, I've seen a lot of you (store managers) not even trying to sell those things and expect everyone else to sell, we aren't receiving bonuses (nothing at all in that matter) by selling those items, you are, so please, try and sell as well. Train your team, motivate them, without team work, there will be no success.

Ok can do a lot better if they look at district managers

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with customers and making them smile

Cons

Upper management is running away employees

Look into your company and monitor why employees go to work for competitors

Great Service

Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at AutoZone part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have everything I need to customize and repair my car. The store is easy to navigate. They work with your school schedules very well.

Cons

One thing I do not like about AutoZone is the amount of time you have to wait before being attended to. And it doesn't help that the only employee with actually knowledge about cars is the manager.

Hire more staff with knowledge about their work.

Autozone is a fun environment to work in

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good starting job for out of high school

Cons

sometimes its a slow day

should give more incentives to workers

Great experience.

Current Employee - Sales Person in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Houston, TX

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

If you don't know much about car its ok, because you learn quick. You start seeing new car parts and learning what they are and what they do. Helps you, so you can help someone else. Good opportunity for advancement, not hard at all. You work with others that might have good car knowledge and you help each other. Fun environment, hours are very flexible. Discounts are ok.

Cons

Like other retail store, customers are about the only con sometimes when they insist they're right. but policy says, make them happy.

If somebody wants to move up to management, hear them out give them a chance or explain why they don't need another manager at the moment, don't just blow it of as if you don't care, I've seen it at a couple stores.