AutoZone

49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Intern - e commerce

E-commerce (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

Prosgood management and a wonderful headquarters

Consonly care about bottom line

Advice to Senior Managementbe better mentors

Miserable experience.

Parts Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsThere are not many positive aspects to this job. I enjoy working on cars, so being under the hood of many different types of cars was very enjoyable for me. They do offer paid vacation to full time employees, which I also enjoyed.

ConsWhere do I start? The only thing this company cares about is their profits and their shareholders. They show very little interest in the welfare of their employees or customers.There is no regular shift for any employee and the scheduling is often completely nonsensical. For instance, I was picked to stay after closing to sit with the crew cleaning the floors. I was scheduled in at 4pm and did not leave until 3am. I was scheduled to open (6:45am), and work until 5pm the next day. I worked nearly 19hrs in a 24hr period.We were constantly under extreme pressure to hit sales goals which were unreachable most of the time, and were forced to cut hours if we did not reach them.We were forced to cut hours to meet labor percentages even if it meant that the store could not properly function. They allow no overtime under any circumstances. For instance, I was once ordered to send the only delivery driver home early when we had pending orders to prevent him getting seven minutes of overtime.We were expected to be able, without any training, to accurately diagnose problems with customers' vehicles without being able to perform the proper tests in most cases. We were called "parts experts" in ads while the majority of employees had little to no automotive knowledge. This leads to a great deal of confusion with both the customers and employees due to the fact that the customers were lead to believe that we were trained mechanics. In addition, due to the labor percentage requirements, the stores were always understaffed. Under normal circumstances, the stores were run with about half the number of employees that were needed to run them properly. Often we were working with only two employees, leaving one employee installing various parts in the parking lot, while the other employee looked up parts, did checkouts, and helped customers inside the store. This led to a great deal of theft ad many unhappy customers. We were forced to install parts in the parking lot, regardless of the weather conditions. I was forced to install a light bulb in a snow storm, and worked many shifts in wet clothes from installing parts in the rain with no cover.The average raise(given every six months), with a perfect evaluation, was often twenty cents an hr or less. I received $1.55 in raises in six years with the company. The was virtually no opportunity for promotion within the store setting.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more interest in the welfare and happiness of both the employees and the customers, and profits will follow.

If there were a Horrible Bosses Part 2 it should be filmed here

Accounts Receivable (Current Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsThe only pro I can think of is the fact that you only have to stay there for 8 hours a day, no weekends no overtime.

ConsManagement lacks the ability to communicate effectively with their staff. No sick days. After working for one year you get 5 vacation days. Mgmt wants to know why you were 2 minutes late even though they were 3 hours late and left early for the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry leading by example!!!!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The most egoistic place to work

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsPeople are very friendly; cafe in headquarters

ConsPeople are friendly, but along with that comes a mindset of 'we built this place' and are SURFACE level friendly. You won't get anywhere far here unless you started in a store and have spent the last 20 years of your life working for AutoZone. They only give credit to those they consider to have 'PUT THEIR TIME IN'.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will forever lose good and bright talent if you do not change the non-acceptance culture of newbies that presently exists.

Loved the job, management preferred to help themselves then the Zoner

Commercial Driver-pt (Former Employee)
    Marion, AR

ProsLove driving so this position was perfect for me

ConsStore management preferred to do their own thing and not properly train the Zoners

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention to the ones who matter, the ones who interact with the customers.

It's all politics!!

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsPromote quickly. Decent pay.

ConsUpper management isn't fair with employees. Any one that does more than what's expected is frowned upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair with all employees! Think about what all your employees do for you and give up for you.

Recommend!!

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsGreat place to learn and earn experience

ConsPay is a little less than the market, but it is made up for with the work/life balance. They are really big on being thrifty, and it can be extremely annoying. Supplies in some functional areas are treated like the Ark of the Covenant. You will be very lucky to even get close to see the supply closet.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey know what they are doing, but I suggest that they do more profit sharing for lower level employees, not just senior level employees.

Need more technical leaders

IT Architect (Current Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsCan work in multiple technologies.

ConsMore politics than actual work. Less salary compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better technical leaders than promoting the non technical people.

Nice Company

Memphis, TN

Pros- SCC office is quite relaxed considering.
    - Passion our Zoners in the filed show for what they are doing. Keeps us in check at the SSC.

Cons- IT communication
    - Benefits
    - Good ole boy tendencies
    - Since of entitlement (SSC office)

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to weed out the middle management in IT. Some are just taking up space and or stores are suffering.

Well run company, hard to move up, mediocre benifits.

Memphis, TN

ProsThe company has strong Sr. Managment leadership they board of dierctors and CEO and CEO team know how to run the company to make money. Job security is good. There are a bunch of very tenured AutoZoners at this comany over 30+ years with the company.

ConsBenefits are only Mediocre. Healthcare cost have always been higher than average for a 50K+ employee company. It's not easy to break into a stock optionable position. in other words moving up the corporate latter is difficult. It seems easier to leave the company after some time then come back to get paid the bigger bucks. There are a bunch of very tenured AutoZoners at this comany over 30+ years with the company. (yes both a pro and con ) sometime bad habits die hard like legacy IT systems antiquated technology that is still keeping our company running simply because we haven't spent the money to upgrade. Also another reason it's difficult to move up in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some money on you employees. I know wallstreet doesn't like to see that but sometimes to grow a body you have to a feed body. Work on you benefits, work on career tracks/ or mentoring programs for your younger talent ... you know, the future of the company.

Worked for AutoZone? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AutoZone reviews and ratings in Memphis, TN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AutoZone CEO Bill Rhodes III. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by AutoZone employees.