AutoZone

Updated January 27, 2015
2.9

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III
Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts (in 36 reviews)

• You can learn a lot about cars if you're around the right people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management wants employees to be a door mat and let everyone walk over them (in 65 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

55 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Sr. Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

It is great experience to take to your next job with another company.

Cons

No work/life balance, pay is a joke, and no concern for their most valuable asset---the employees.

It's 2015. Treat people better and train them properly, so they may advance & be productive assets to the company.

No growth in company

Current Employee - Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

Stock doing well, a good place to work in a slow economy

Cons

There is no personal growth, training or career advancement opportunities.

Care for people's growth, you lose out on some great talent as people leave for better opportunities right after bonus.

Enjoyed Working as a Temp

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Memphis, TN
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Memphis, TN

I worked at AutoZone as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

This was an easy to understand position that I was recruited for. I simply had to answer phones and enter data for someone taking a maternity leave.

Cons

I was rarely given any direction. I had to make up jobs for myself--which worked for me since I am self-starter, but for someone that wants more interaction, it would be pretty boring!

Even though there are contractors, make sure to be helpful to new faces. They would really appreciate it!

Marketing Dept. Review

Former Employee - Marketing in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Memphis, TN

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive work environment that practices what it preaches.

Cons

Change and innovation happens slowly.

Set aside a test budget and expect innovation. Also, work on promoting from within more.

Good place to work; heavy workload but little pay. Overall, People are friendly and it's a happy office.

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location
    Nice office with good views
    Fun, growing company with lots of opportunities
    Cafeteria and decent food in office!

Cons

Unrealistic expectations/deadlines
    Little resources to complete projects
    Lack of communication at the top levels
    Culture of thrift is quite thrifty!

Continue to show support of growth and stores, but remember what new companies are doing for employees- work from home, more vacation, and employee recognition are being offered at other companies. If you don't keep up, it will continue to be difficult finding the right talent.

Sitting in a cubical, letting other people dictate your capabilities.

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy work if you know how to use a computer

Cons

Not great pay, Management will over look you

Pay your employees more

best company I have worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At AutoZone customers come first , this is practiced from CEO all the way to the stores. benefits are good, good holidays and vacation plan.

Cons

a little short on recognition for some areas of the company and very heavy on other parts of the company

Recognition is very important to employees, money is not the driving force to keeping employees at their best.

Good ole boy network alive and well

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Busy environment. ability to make a difference, access to senior leaders

Cons

Be prepared to talk about football, guns, local sports otherwise they won't talk to you.

diversity is more than skin color. be open to others' points of view and cultures. Need more people from other parts of the country with different exposures

Intern - e commerce

Former Employee - E-commerce in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - E-commerce in Memphis, TN

I worked at AutoZone full-time

Pros

good management and a wonderful headquarters

Cons

only care about bottom line

be better mentors

Miserable experience.

Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are not many positive aspects to this job. I enjoy working on cars, so being under the hood of many different types of cars was very enjoyable for me. They do offer paid vacation to full time employees, which I also enjoyed.

Cons

Where do I start? The only thing this company cares about is their profits and their shareholders. They show very little interest in the welfare of their employees or customers.There is no regular shift for any employee and the scheduling is often completely nonsensical. For instance, I was picked to stay after closing to sit with the crew cleaning the floors. I was scheduled in at 4pm and did not leave until 3am. I was scheduled to open (6:45am), and work until 5pm the next day. I worked nearly 19hrs in a 24hr period.We were constantly under extreme pressure to hit sales goals which were unreachable most of the time, and were forced to cut hours if we did not reach them.We were forced to cut hours to meet labor percentages even if it meant that the store could not properly function. They allow no overtime under any circumstances. For instance, I was once ordered to send the only delivery driver home early when we had pending orders to prevent him getting seven minutes of overtime.We were expected to be able, without any training, to accurately diagnose problems with customers' vehicles without being able to perform the proper tests in most cases. We were called "parts experts" in ads while the majority of employees had little to no automotive knowledge. This leads to a great deal of confusion with both the customers and employees due to the fact that the customers were lead to believe that we were trained mechanics. In addition, due to the labor percentage requirements, the stores were always understaffed. Under normal circumstances, the stores were run with about half the number of employees that were needed to run them properly. Often we were working with only two employees, leaving one employee installing various parts in the parking lot, while the other employee looked up parts, did checkouts, and helped customers inside the store. This led to a great deal of theft ad many unhappy customers. We were forced to install parts in the parking lot, regardless of the weather conditions. I was forced to install a light bulb in a snow storm, and worked many shifts in wet clothes from installing parts in the rain with no cover.The average raise(given every six months), with a perfect evaluation, was often twenty cents an hr or less. I received $1.55 in raises in six years with the company. The was virtually no opportunity for promotion within the store setting.

Show more interest in the welfare and happiness of both the employees and the customers, and profits will follow.