AutoZone Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
2.8

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III
Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts (in 34 reviews)

• You can learn a lot about cars if you're around the right people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management wants employees to be a door mat and let everyone walk over them (in 64 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid company

Former Employee - Auto Parts Sales in Newton, NC
    Former Employee - Auto Parts Sales in Newton, NC

I worked at AutoZone part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work environment
    Management was honest and helpful

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to move up

best company I have worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At AutoZone customers come first , this is practiced from CEO all the way to the stores. benefits are good, good holidays and vacation plan.

Cons

a little short on recognition for some areas of the company and very heavy on other parts of the company

Recognition is very important to employees, money is not the driving force to keeping employees at their best.

Good to learn at

I worked at AutoZone full-time

Pros

Ase certified, easy to learn automotive parts and plannograms

Cons

Some of the management think they are experts but have never worked on a car in their life. Just because you can regurgitate information does not mean you are an expert on automotive work.

Experience of a lifetime

I worked at AutoZone

Pros

Building car knowledge
    Meeting cool people

Cons

Fast-paced and you will not always be with people who can keep up so you have to pick up the slack.

Was a really good opportunity for a first job.

Former Employee - Part Time Sales (PTS)
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales (PTS)

I worked at AutoZone part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to interact with different people and learn new things daily. You also get to learn to deal with problems (such as computer issues, unhappy customers) which is very helpful when first starting out.

Cons

Some of the employees just don't care. These are usually lower level employees but can sometimes even be managers. Holiday hours are some what ridiculous. Really stinks if your part time because there isn't any holiday pay.

Let your employees off at a decent time for holidays. Maybe approach training new red shirts differently. I was lucky and had someone who cared about their job show me what to do. All the redshirts I ran into afterward s were not very good.

Autozone

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Belleview, FL
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Belleview, FL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment and culture. Fun job.

Cons

Employee discount is small. Comapmy wastes a lot of time and paper on useless things.

Worked part-time as a Parts Sales Manager

Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Yorktown, VA
    Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Yorktown, VA

I worked at AutoZone part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being a mechanic, the job was very easy. I was able to pick up things quickly and was able to use my vehicle maintenance knowledge to help customers in troubleshooting the problems with their vehicles. I also was able to learn more about how the different parts affect performance of the vehicles and the importance of using quality parts.

Cons

Low pay and you had to wait a year for an increase. Working part-time, you were restricted to only working certain hours and always the holidays. Manager was quick to leave once the night time crew came in. Also the day shift would generally leave things for the night crew to take care of.

Learn to mentor and groom your people for increased responsibilities.

Varies Greatly with Management

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is great satisfaction in helping customers out of difficult situations and help solving their problems. There is a lot of hands on the vehicles, so if you want to learn about cars you will. This is a very stable company that has been around for 35 years. AutoZone is an industry leader, the "big dog on the block" often leading the way with better products and warranties.

Cons

We work retail hours, sometimes starting at 5am and ending at Midnight. Rarely are there 2 days off together. Plan on working most holidays. There are NO set schedules, so it is difficult to make plans. Part-timers are absolutely capped at 30 hours.

Depending on the District Manager and/or Regional Manager, there is not a clear path to promotions. It often seems subjective. Communication is one direction and information from the bottom is not well received.

The paycheck is not what keeps an employee happy. Recognition and feeling that our opinion is valued and listened to keeps us working hard and earning you bonuses.

Rewarding to help people who need their vehicles fixed with honest advice and experience.

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Saint Clairsville, OH
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Saint Clairsville, OH

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For a small town, the pay and benefits are ok and it is full time which is important.

Cons

The pay is not enough for the important work done here. Training is next to non existent as tests that you are required to do, are done for you. Promotion can happen in the blink of a eye. Work hard, someone higher quits, they look at you for promotion. Benefits, no really impressed. My copay can be ridiculous as the more expensive medical plans require alot of your paycheck.

Training is needed badly for many especially hands on. Wages need to reflect to importance and the liability involved as we are dealing with people and their vehicles.

Great workplace

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Little Rock, AR

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and great team work.

Cons

Not hiring within the company.

More individuals in stores.