AutoZone Reviews

813 reviews filtered by
2.9
AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III
Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts (in 36 reviews)

• You can learn a lot about cars if you're around the right people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management wants employees to be a door mat and let everyone walk over them (in 65 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could (in 43 reviews)

1. Its an ok job depending on where you are placed but you have to be able to deal with irate customers on the daily basis.

Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good money, fun enviroment, able to meet different people in different occupations on the daily. Get discounts on parts for your own vehicle.

Cons

Customers expect you to be their mechanic, you have to spend your own money replacing uniforms because of customer parts, and battery acid. Have to work in all types of conditions like test/install batteries in the snow.

Worker are under paid and overworked. Management needs to help the entire store instead of sitting in the back lounging around.

2. AutoZone provides excellent parts and a decent price.

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

You can quickly gain experience in a multiple areas if you have the drive.

Cons

Management tends to be slow with promotions and raises are minimal. Staffing needs work.

Work more on employee retention and better forecasting methods to determine better staffing.

3. Its pretty good working commercial off on the weekends and working 8-5.

Current Employee - Commercial Driver in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Commercial Driver in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

Off on weekends, 8-5, being on the road very seldom that you're in the store a lot unless its slow.

Cons

Pay is kind of low and some benefits aren't ideal, very hard to work your way up in a store because most top sought after positions are taken by veterans in the company that have been there for years so you usually have to transfer from store to store to move up.

Commercial drivers are basically the eyes, and ears for the commercial sales manager so compensate us a little more please.

5. I enjoyed it for a while.

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work. Generally friendly customers. I enjoy the teamwork aspect and how employees work well together with customers. Most employees are knowledgable and/or friendly.

Cons

Infrequent pay raises. Very few benefits for part time employees. Inconsistent policies and scheduling.

I think that upper management should work closely with each store to determine storage/location/product placements. It is inconvenient to have to move products around all the time for seemingly no reason. They should also work on creating a consistent schedule for employees.

6. Great experience I enjoyed my time there.

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

Discount, Free ASE certification,

Cons

Pay, district management, installing batteries in 110 degree weather,

When you see someone with potential do what you can to keep them.

7. Excellent growth for those who take advantage. Fantastic employer.

Current Employee - Store Manager in South Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in South Seattle, WA

I have been working at AutoZone full-time

Pros

True (relentless) expectation to take care of the customer, whether they are right or wrong...takes the guesswork out of which decision to make. Fantastic ability to grow if you have the skills and desire AND you promote yourself. Huge company but still have control over your Region, District and Store...meaning, you can make a big difference in your customers' day as well as your staffs' life by creating an awesome place to shop and to work. All of the tools and resources are there, you just have to make them work. Example, I am working for the best boss I have ever had. He makes my job worth it. I prefer to be managed by someone that says "this is what I want you to do and this is the consequence if it's not done" rather than "I think"...or "I feel". I could have a totally different outlook if I were working for someone else. It is within his control, and our control to make AutoZone a great place to work and in my opinion, it is great to be an AutoZoner.

Cons

Reduction of labor hours. But...ALL companies are doing this right now. I was in Bank of America the other day and they are removing the Merchant Teller position due to cutbacks. All of the other Managers in my district are complaining but they fail to realize that labor management is necessary and all it means is that you kick into a higher gear and get your staffs' buy-in so they follow and do the same. Not blame DM's/RM's for decisions out of their control.

Less patience with failing Store Managers...keep the good ones and understand the difference between the two. Thank you for my job and making it a great place to work.

Too bad they cant get out of their own way

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This job is a lot of fun. Great co-workers. Great customers

Cons

District managers are stifling growth due to poor decisions.

Dear Upper Management, Your first customer is your employees, your shorting yourself. It will come back to bite you

It has its ups and downs

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

The biggest pro is the flexibility. They are helpful in getting you the time off you need. I will say though it depends on your managers. See con's.
    I am in a store that a majority of the people have been there 3+ years. This is not common. For our store we are like a family.
    The employee discount is nice and every quarter they do an additional discount weekend.

Cons

My biggest con is the higher management. Depending on who it is can be awful. Two stores close to mine has huge turn over rates because the managers are terrible.
    They don't get rid of people or demote people that they should.
    I was lied to for months. I was promised a promotion that I never got.

Be honest with your employees. Promote those that deserve it. You worry about our numbers Witt and coc. Give some kind if compensation for selling them. Most of the people I know work just hard enough to not get fired. Give them a reason to want to succeed.

10. Great benefits

I worked at AutoZone

Pros

20% discount and great growth

Cons

Long hours with limited time off

11. Obtain a variety of positions and utilize automotive skills with customer service to reach that goal.

Former Employee - District Manager in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - District Manager in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Career growth opportunities in house with management.

Cons

Starting salaries in the higher positions.

Started in 2001 as a Part time Red shirt to a District manager for the last 5 years. Also held positions as Parts sale manager, Asst store manager, Commercial Sales manager and General Hub manager.