AutoZone Reviews

Reset
2.9
AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III
Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • 20% discount is the only good thing (in 36 reviews)

• Fun environment to work in and you learn a lot (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours no appreciation no backing from upper management un real expectations for one person to fulfill (in 65 reviews)

• You start as part time for just over the minimum wage (in 43 reviews)

1. Commercial Account Manager

Former Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Commercial Sales Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at AutoZone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount on product , decent benefits , good commercial program

Cons

No upper management support, worked 60 hrs a week.

Advice to Management

When you continue to sweep issues under a rug you will loose good employees. Had issues internally with store and store manager had it where nobody listened or respected me there. Coming in from another coast because I was not one of their "click" it became hostile. Upper management was aware and refused to move me to another store even though I was loved by customer and progressed in numbers. Got a 98% on an audit in my department and was at work everyday from 7:15am-6pm All week no questions asked. All I'm saying is if you have a hard worker and they come to you for help don't leave them in a store for 4 months and keep making up excuses and not properly address the situation. I felt this company was the worse I worked for in the last decade. No respect for anyone and their well being . Wouldn't recommend anyone ever working there .

2. Commercial driver

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

Good people 20 percent discount

Cons

Crappy pay horrendous customers no raise in two years

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better they are the reason your comp

3. All the negative comments are very true

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Waukegan, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Waukegan, IL

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (More than a year)

Pros

not a lot of pros except 20% discount only on certain items

Cons

too many to list:
    Poor hours, worse pay, no support from upper management, make u buy uniform, cut hours regularly so manager gets his stupid bonus, very poor training (you learn to teach yourself on the job as you learn), customers can be hostile and managers expect you to be a doormat, customers expect you to know everything, you're expect to push stupid grease packets which you don't even really need at all ur just selling them to make DMs look like they're doing a good job, little room for advancement, managers play favorites way to much, you have to be good at brownosing if u want to get anywhere in this company. I wouldn't recommend this job to a high school dropout.

Advice to Management

clean house. Most upper management only care about themselves only and don't care about the redshirts at all( nonmanagment)

5. Painful

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at AutoZone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't really think of any. A lot of people mention the discount card, but a lot of the time if you ordered online, you would get a better deal anyway. I'm so glad I'm out of there.

Cons

Everything everyone mentioned is true. This is truely a horrible company to work for. I was as store manager for three years for autozone with a background in retail management for other various companies for 15 years prior to that.

I won't rehash what everyone's already mentioned , but there were some other things that I ran into as a manager that have not been addressed.

Rotor and computer resets: expect them to demand you stay overnight from 7pm-7am to do these. I got 2 days notice of mine and it was the week of thanksgiving. They don't care that you have a family. Just do it and shut up.

Poor bonus structure (for the managers, great for AutoZone): You're expected to beat last year's numbers by 5 percent. They call that your target. If you hit that number, you get 100% of your bonus. The better you do, the more money you get. The worse you do , the less money you get.

My 1st year there, I beat target by 120%, so they paid out like 110% of my bonus (bonus plus an additional 10 percent of that bonus). So the next year, they set my targets ridiculously high. Like 20% growth each month high. So now I'm still beating last year's numbers, but since I'm under target, I'm loosing my bonus. If you're 5% under target , you get 50% of you're bonus. If your 10% under target, you get nothing. These guys stiffed me for almost 10 grand over three years.

I know it's been mentioned, but HR and Loss Prevention: this company is run by these guys , and all of management runs around in fear of them. I've worked for fortune 500 retail companies before, and I've never seen anything like it.

Customer Service: I've had customers melt down and make terroristic threats in my store and then have to give them $20 gift cards. We've sat through many trainings on workplace violence, but never once has it been in regards to the customers against the employees. Oh, and when they screw up a self install (twice) on a tranny and then complain to your boss that our parts are junk, expect to have them take it to a shop and you are paying for the install.

Turnover: I sat in a meeting where they mentioned they averaged 50% turnover a year and were proud of that number. Those numbers may work for walmart, but we needed people with technical knowledge and experience. In the three years I was there, I hired at least 50 people. They'd work for a week, realise they could work at burger king for better money and less responsibility, and leave. In that same three years, 70 percent of the managers in my district had left and I was considered a senior manager. Many of those stores went through multiple managers while I was there.

Advice to Management

Start wearing masks. Jessy James wore one when he robbed people.

6. Commercial Driver

Current Employee - Commercial Driver in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Commercial Driver in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn about cars, help customers,

Cons

Pay was bad, only 20cent raise every year, hard to move up

Advice to Management

Need to ease up

7. I do not recommend. Should negative or zero rate.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazleton, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazleton, PA

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is ok for starters. You get an employee discount.

Cons

Poorly run company. Unsafe. Congested docks and isles. Outdated. Too much mandatory overtime. Lots of ignorant people. No solid policies, rules keeps changing. They don't care about the workers. They treat workers as slaves. They don't observe holidays like Memorial Day, 4th of July etc.

Advice to Management

Value your biggest asset, your employees.

8. Terrible company

I worked at AutoZone

Pros

Paycheck every two weeks, steady full time hours, if you're privileged enough...

Cons

Everything, pay, hours, upper mgmt, store mgmt, red shirts make the business work....and I was a grey shirt...

Advice to Management

Fix yourselves

9. PSM

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goshen, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goshen, IN

I worked at AutoZone full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

Managent needs to get over their egos and run the company.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be something you are not. Your egos are ruining the company.

10. Low pay, understaffed

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn quite a bit about the automotive industry, flexible hours, friendly coworkers/management.

Cons

Very low pay for what is expected of you. Forced add ons, rudest customers I've ever seen in retail. "Free services" kill what little manpower is provided.

Advice to Management

Autozone pride themselves on knowledgable associates but the thing is, you won't be able to attract many ASE certified individuals if you're paying less than Burger King does. Also, offering free services like battery, wiper blade, and bulb installations is a nice thing but when you cut hours down to the point where there is only two people working a shift in a very busy store, you get a lot of walkouts from customers who are tired of waiting to pay for their things. Allow more payroll if you insist on providing these services, you have plenty of money for it.

11. Management by Spreadsheets and joining a cult

Former Employee - Regional Operations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Regional Operations in Chicago, IL

I worked at AutoZone full-time

Pros

Tons of locations with strong financial performance and wall street loves AZ! Great investment for your financial portfolio.

Cons

Culture is just plain weird. They do this "chant" at the beginning of every meeting. It is called a cheer, but is a cult-like chant. Weirdest thing that I've ever seen. They drive employees into the ground, grind suppliers until they go broke and know nothing but the retail side of the parts business. If you are a retailer, you may fit in, if you understand the commercial side of the parts business, work somewhere else because this place will drive you nuts.

Advice to Management

There are too many accountants on your senior team...get some diversity of experience on the team that can connect with your people. And for goodness sakes, kill the cult-like chant every five minutes! do a cheer, but kill the five minute chant! That is why I left. Too weird for normal folks.

RSS Feed </> Embed