AutoZone

AutoZone Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III

Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts (in 31 reviews)

• Work schedule is pretty decent and the best benefit is the employee discount card (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours no appreciation no backing from upper management un real expectations for one person to fulfill (in 58 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Hires people with no experience, then they receive no training

Commercial Sales Manager (Current Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsUsed to be a great bonus program, but they changed it

Conszero motivation to succeed
    employees untrained, unless you train yourself outside of work
    DM's with little to no experience

Advice to Senior Managementgive some motivation to succeed, stop trying to push good employees out. I've seen many employees leave because lazy employees are promotted because they can sell a little WITTDTJR and check out challenge, and the ones that actually there to work and see the store succeed are pushed away and over looked for promotion.

Very unruly and poorly operated

Hub Driver (Former Employee) Apple Valley, MN

ProsEasy to get away with slacking off

ConsVery little management and requires life to be scheduled around the part-time job.

Advice to Senior Managementget on top of the scheduling

Cult like culture

Observer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsNothing at AutoZone is good, its a company that exploits part time help to improve its profit margins and share price, which by the way they rather buy their own company stock rather than create full time American jobs.

ConsBelieve it or not you have to know the AutoZone cheer. If you don't say the cheer you become a pirah...No I'm not kidding. You can actually hear people saying the cheer in their cubicles to themselves so management will view them as loyal. I'm not kidding, its really that bad...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou run the stores with part time help, so helping the American economy AutoZone is not. Their IT department is plagued with poor vision, poor management and cost over runs that they rationalize as "Doing it right" LOL

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great store but experience will depend on management

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsAlways hiring, rapid growth, opportunity for promotion if willing to work hard

ConsWorking on customers cars for free, customer expectations thinking you are an automotive repair shop

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your employees feel appreciated and know how their work is helping customers

Good company with great leadership at the top.

ProsGreat culture and people. They have excellent training with lots of support. If you follow the plan set forth, you will succeed. In the stores, you are encouraged to go the extra mile, to make a difference in a customer's day.

ConsPay for incoming employees is not that great which contributes to a lot of turnover. If you stay with your job at AutoZone, you will be rewarded with promotion, but over a long period of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe plan you promote from the top is often carried out at the bottom, but executed differently than you think it is. Integrity is not fulfilled like you think it is. To make the numbers, this business is very cut-throat.

Bad corporate, good local

Sales Associate/Delivery Driver (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsI've had some seriously great co-workers and immediate superiors while working at AutoZone. My coworkers, store manager, and district manager are all fantastic people; the work environment is relaxed, there's very little obsession over trivial rules, it's just a good place to work. Customers typically respect you more than is typical for retail, and you get the chance to help people figure out what's wrong with their cars if you're able and willing to do that.

ConsCorporate are some of the most disrespectful, exploitative bastards I've ever encountered. They think you, the store worker, are as smart as a five year old and even more gullible. Fortunately, you interact very little with them. Pay is not great, but it's above minimum.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit some stores once in a while, maybe then you'll stop seeing us as trained apes.

Upper management seems to have thumbs surgically implanted in back sides

Prosat store level you can work with a solid team, anything above that seems to be a cluster f*ck

ConsUpper management will talk to you about promotions, train you, and then when after you've busted your butt, they will pull the rug out from underneath your feet and leave you high and dry because they "want to pursue things in a different direction" with a walk in from outside of the company. There is no loyalty shown to the store level employees from the clowns in ties that couldn't tell a brake pad from a brake rotor.

Advice to Senior Managementtry promoting from within when you see you've got a solid team.

good experience

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Bronx, NY

Prosgreat environment to work in

Conslow paying retail job place

Somewhat of a Challenge if you are up to it.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Cocoa, FL

ProsIt is a very hands on job and expect to get your hand dirty. You learn a lot in this position and the managers are always there to help guide you if you have questions. You meet a lot of interesting characters in this line of work. Overall not a bad place to work, there are a lot of opportunities to move up.

ConsSome of the customers that come in are discriminatory because of gender. As a female, it was often treated inferior because the assumption is that women don't know much about cars. Depending on the location of the AutoZone, there can be very shady characters. Also there several occasions where I was sexually molested and obscene comments were made by the customers. Also expect to long hours and be extremely tired in dealing with angry people.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough AutoZone's motto is the customer is always right, there should be a limit. People take advantage of that and they take even more advantage of the employees because the customer can get away with so much.

Decent pay but very Unorganized

Store Autozoner (Former Employee) Plainfield, NJ

ProsDecent Pay with discounts on store products

ConsNo Commission, sloppy, Drama, bad leadership issues

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement could be better, unorganized HUB, unmotivated

Worked for AutoZone? Contribute to the Community!