AutoZone

Updated December 16, 2014
2.8

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III
Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts (in 36 reviews)

• You can learn a lot about cars if you're around the right people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management wants employees to be a door mat and let everyone walk over them (in 65 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Niles, MI
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Niles, MI

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Relocation Opportunities all over, Great advancement opportunities.

Cons

Depending on location sales demands unrealistic. Company over stresses certain policies that hinder work and performance.

Keep up the good work, however new labor model is not effective for ALL locations.

Very mind draining

Former Employee - Part Sales Manager in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Part Sales Manager in Bronx, NY

I worked at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyday you will learn something new about cars.

Cons

Customers go in upset and take it on the employees

Have lots of patience with customers as we'll as employees

Excellent learning opportunities if you take the time.

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My store had a good manager that did not get too stressed out (unless upper management was in the area and then he cleaned like a madman).

Cons

They tell you that they are looking at you for your own store, but won't even panel interview you when a store opens up. Also, AutoZone has their own culture which can make them seem like a cult at times.

Upper management needs to be more visible. I can count on one hand the number of times the regional manager has come into my store in the last three years. (All I need is one finger)

Autozone

Current Employee - Hub Driver in Austintown, OH
    Current Employee - Hub Driver in Austintown, OH

I have been working at AutoZone part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun environment, Being a HUB driver gives you freedom you don't have someone breathing down your neck all day long.

Cons

You have to work goofy hours and once you get to the store to deliver parts you never get any help from that store even if you have a ton of stuff and usually heavy stuff.

Corporate can't handle it's own human resource
    Problems

Former Employee - Store Manager Retail in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager Retail in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at AutoZone

Pros

Decent benefits. Manager pay is good

Cons

Inventory control at the distribution center is a joke. Inventory control falls back on the store
    Manager.

Hire professional human resource manager's.
    Maybe some that can fire people that upset
    Customers. Instead they put it off for months and
    It falls on the store Manager who has no power to
    Fire.

Driver/ PT Sales-Easy job (even w/o auto experience), poor pay (just enough to barely get by). Honest, THOUROUGH, review

Current Employee - Part Time Sales (PTS) in Saint Clair Shores, MI
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales (PTS) in Saint Clair Shores, MI

I have been working at AutoZone

Pros

Hardly any pros.

Easy job.

20% Emplyee Discount

Pay a couple cents more than min wage; just enough to get by.

Hour-long lunch.

Build relationships with customers and the extremely few good-hearted Zoners. I've met one of the best coworkers that I've ever had. And she/he is member of management. I've been trained on many ins and outs of the company (we both would be fired if any other employee knew that I know what I know) only because this person truly cares about me and my professional growth.

Typical day consists of clocking in on the computer and getting right to work: answer telephones within 3 rings with memorized 5-step script. Greet customers within 30 feet or 30 seconds of being in the store with "Welcome to AutoZone! What are you working on today?". Look up parts on computers in order to get the customer the exact part and "sell it right and keep it sold."

Seems pretty easy right? Well, it is. Seems like you'll probably enjoy the job? Well, of course. That is, until you read the cons!

Cons

Pay rate starts at only $9-10.50/hr.

No holiday pay unless you're Full-Time. But be prepared for the possibility of still working on a holiday ( unless AZ is closed).

No benefits because they start you off as Part-Time (unless they hire you as management). But they make you work undesirablly long and unusual Full-Time shifts when its to management's or another Zoners advantage (see below). And you still won't get any benefits unless you work an average amount of Full-Time hours in one year. And only because at that point they're forced to do so by law. But don't worry, the stingy suckers will slow your hours down in just enough time to prevent offering benefits.

Gossip and rumors flow around the store more than water flowing through the rivers. Seriously.

Expressing your problems to upper management is just the same as not expressing them at all! (Speaking from experience). There's kinda an "oh well" type of thing going on.

Slower location than others. Veerrrryyy slow. Most days, even the shortest shifts seem to drag for eternity.

Hours are based on sales. So if you're store isn't meeting sales goals due to inadequate business, you're scheduled less hours... Unless, of course, someone quits (as usual) or management or a "favorited team member" wants to take one of their many vacations, or just simply wants time off... At that point, you'll gain a few more hours, which adds a few extra gas money dollars to your check.

The relationships between management and upper management are obvious and seem much more personal than they should be, creating a feeling of favoritism. Ex: Favoritism is clearly shown as far as special request (time off and not working EVERY SINGLE closing and weekend shifts [ that is almost guaranteed]).
    There is hardly any work/life balance.
    The attendance point system interferes with a good work environment by causing employees to give up on being dedicated to their job. Ex: If you're car breaks down and you call in late (well in advance) and even find adequate coverage, you've stll earned yourself a point. You have a medical emergency? That's another point. You could be an excellent worker (dedicated, knowledge, detailed oriented, professional, etc.), but management will constantly write you up for "violating the attendance policy," which possibly makes you look for another job because you feel as though you'll soon be terminated.

Advancement arises only because people quit! Accepting the duties that come along with promotions aren't worth the less-than-a-dollar raise.

Customers are rude sometimes, but that's expected in a retail environment. However, there's always the customers who want to "speak with a guy" although you may know more about their needs and have more solutions than they could even provide for themselves!

AZ is completely focused on Zoners remembering the pledge, wearing your little pins (similar to Girl/Boy Scout pins), up-selling customers, out-selling competitors, and rearranging the store's inventory layout often. AZ does not care about it's Zoners.

So many more complaints to express, so little patience (or time) to type it all. By no means is AZ the place to feel secure with starting a career, it's just a j-o-b...Nothing
    more.

Work on fairness for all and making the workplace fun. This job is reasonably easy, but it's no longer desirable after working there for more than 90 days because after this point, you become more awakened to the negative things surrounding you.

I do not believe there should be in-store employee promotions; Zoners should be promoted and required to transfer in order to eliminate bias decisions due to friendships.

Do not assign Zoners duties and shifts that you wouldn't want to complete yourself.

I seriously advise CEO Bill Rhodes to participate on "Undercover Boss" so that he can get an honest idea of his employees point of view. You're not on the frontline everyday, encouraging customers to spend their hard-earned dollars. The company's real Zoners are!! Get a grip on what's going on! ("Grey shirts" barely deserve to be labeled as Zoners)

I do understand that any company wants profit $$$. But, it takes the very people who are never acknowledged to attract income. Respect, promote, and appreciate us "Red Shirts" ( non management, for those job seekers who are unaware that only management wear grey shirts).

I honestly wish that I can give a "-5 star" rating. This company doesn't make the scale in my opinion.

No regard to employees. Customers are just dollar signs.

Former Employee - Part Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Part Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at AutoZone

Pros

FINALLY WISED UP AND LEFT. Got tired of the carrot on the string routine for advancement.

Cons

Their best ploy to keep hard working employees was to hint at moving up. Bent over backwards to keep cash cows happy. Chucked employees under the bus for the greater good of upper managements' wallet. Lower volume stores run skeleton crews with the expectation that two people are enough to answer phones (many calls can run 5-10 min+), install batteries and light bulbs in parking lot (5-25+ min), do planograms, run cash registers, handle returns, check-in vendors, stock shelves, repair computer issues and peripherals, etc. Allowed employees to give untrained "advice" on auto repair, all while looking up parts that not only the customers didn't know the name of (not a big deal), but a large majority of employees including a few store managers didn't (big issue). Trained a assistant store manager (a level above my own) on general retail for his first month of employment. When there are several more qualified PSM's around the area who know the in and outs of AutoZone. Had 7 different store managers in less than 6 years. Many of whom lost their positions due to lack of preparedness on part/support (or lack there of) of district management. In fact trained some SM's on internal software... And ethics. Over hear DM's reasons for not promoting deserving hard workers for personal outside of work reasons. They would cut hours due to sales. Which not totally unreasonable, but, very callous when a SM pleads that part timers need hrs and the response on open conference call from DM used an expletive to describe part timers". Constant focus on metrics didn't matter if your store was top 3 for months at a time. Come up short on one and the threat of write-ups are all you hear for a month. No incentives for sales. Clearly posted that SM and above receive gifts and/or bonuses for the "grunts" effort. Take this job if your looking for operations, inventory, customer service, call center, cashier, tech support, diagnostics, auto installation (just the tip of the iceberg) all rolled into one.

Uninterrupted time for CBT instead of SM's clicking through them so employees who need it; can learn. Not just have them sign in and throw them in the fire. "Shadow training"? That's laughable, more like you help that line of people; if you need me I'll be busy dealing with this line. In fact, some actual training. don't know how many people are told to do things to their vehicles that employees have zero clue on. Most auto info comes after the fact. Like frying a computer on a bad battery install or ensuring a customer the vehicle won't overheat when the employee says its okay; If, you take it easy... Even though steam is already pouring out. Take the lead of other retail stores. Have actual positions for the many, many, many tasks that usually get assigned to the one or two employee(s) competent enough to do them. When you "train" one employee in a day course; don't ask them to train their home store because there is never time allotted to do so. Those courses are a joke anyway. Trainers ask who knows the answer. Someone educated in auto systems answers and they move forward without another thought to the rest of group who doesn't get anything from it. They should focus on the people NOT raising their hands. And, a better language translation service instead of calling another usually already busy store just to further stretch the ridiculous payroll thinner. More than $20 for an employee Holiday party for a dozen+ people would be nice. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Don't want to cut into the quarter after quarter gain profits, ay. Don't post all the incentives on KPI printouts about how SM and higher get jackets, electronics and/or cash bonuses. Just a slap in the face to the workers who actually bring the money in to the store. Give some consideration to those who keep your pockets full. Oh, and read up on your technical bulletins direct from the manufacturers. Fuel injector cleaner voids almost all warranties because it damages modern fuel systems.

Very Bad Experience

I worked at AutoZone

Pros

Hiring process was easy. Later I found out why. (High Turnover)

Cons

No training for new hires. They just throw you out there, sink or swim, and then do not give hours if you are not already a pro.

Take the time with people you hire. You may not need to keep replacing them.

rewarding career

Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Parts Sales Manager

I have been working at AutoZone full-time (less than an year)

Pros

all the tools ypu need for sucess are provided you, what you do with them is up to you!

Cons

long hours, difficult to fully staff the store

keep doing what is working

I had a horrible experience.

Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Parts Sales Manager in Reading, PA

I worked at AutoZone full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro working for this company was the benefits.

Cons

No real training of new employees. You are sent for "training", however the only thing we learned was the "cheer" and sexual harassment. We did not learn to open or close the store, returns, company policy, or anything that would help an employee better do their job. It was very disappointing.

Actually have real training for new employees that doesn't revolve around a cheer. I personally did not take a job in an auto parts store to be a cheerleader.