AutoZone

AutoZone Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

AutoZone Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Rhodes III

Bill Rhodes III

Pros
  • You get a 20% discount on everything except special order parts (in 31 reviews)

• Work schedule is pretty decent and the best benefit is the employee discount card (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours no appreciation no backing from upper management un real expectations for one person to fulfill (in 58 reviews)

• part time assets as to avoid the new Health Care laws as best as they could (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern - e commerce

E-commerce (Former Employee) Memphis, TN

Prosgood management and a wonderful headquarters

Consonly care about bottom line

Advice to Senior Managementbe better mentors

ok.

Commercial Driver-pt and Sales Associate (Current Employee) Taft, CA

Prosflexible schedule, learning new things all the time

Consfew hours, low pay and low promotion opportunities

Good old boy club.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiscounts on parts and great customer

ConsLong hours no time for family

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more women in company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cult like culture

Observer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsNothing at AutoZone is good, its a company that exploits part time help to improve its profit margins and share price, which by the way they rather buy their own company stock rather than create full time American jobs.

ConsBelieve it or not you have to know the AutoZone cheer. If you don't say the cheer you become a pirah...No I'm not kidding. You can actually hear people saying the cheer in their cubicles to themselves so management will view them as loyal. I'm not kidding, its really that bad...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou run the stores with part time help, so helping the American economy AutoZone is not. Their IT department is plagued with poor vision, poor management and cost over runs that they rationalize as "Doing it right" LOL

hub driver. auto zone has its ups and downs (san jose california)

Hub Driver (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros- free free at the lobby if you work at the big auto zones (heard the my store was the only one who did that) lucky me
    - i loved most of my co workers chill and funny.. Wednesday baseball games which is super fun
    - job is pretty simple you drive for 3-4 hours and drop parts off at certain stores you don't have to deal with customers(most part).. for sure better than working in retail in my opinion..
    - 20% discounts on store and other cool stuff like some computers and phone service/cable
    - if you're looking for a job that pays $9-10+/hr apply at auto zone as a hub or commercial driver.. they're literally always hiring which is good for the environment

Cons- lack of schedule is horrible.. not knowing if you're working next week so you cant make plans.. so annoying
    - calling in sick or if someone died in your family you CAN STILL get written up for it.. which is pathetic.
    - pay as a hub driver is $10 which is bad because min wage is already 10 here.. was expecting 11-12 at the start.
    - you have to wear and pay the dress code which dumb.. paying $40-70 out your pocket just to obey their dress code
    - as a hub driver driving 4-5 hours will get you tired and hungry.. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED to buy food on the shift which is also sad.. this rule needs to be changed! when you drive for that long you should be able to take snack break to stay awake or grab an energy drink... i break the rules and still get done on time so just try to make it back on time.
    - took 1 1/2 months to actually suit up and get hired.. the process of working here is a drag.. they call you for an interview (2 weeks)if they like you then another 2 weeks wait for the 2nd interview then 2 weeks later they ask for info.. 1-2 weeks later ask if you are available..next week you come in..

Advice to Senior Managementpromotions seem easy which is always good.. i just started working here 2 weeks ago and i heard its easy.. but idk cuz havent happened to me yet.

Location/ co workers will dictate experience at work. Short or long term

Customer Satisfaction/Commercial Driver (Current Employee) Clinton, MA

Pros20% on all parts except oil and special orders.
    Good honest co workers if you land at a good store. Not everybody is a Mr nice guy.
    I believe performance at work will dictate your raises/promotions.
    Extra 15 min to punch in if your running late so you don't get noted for being late really helps out.
    In line to become next part sales manager (PSM) strongly believe due to work ethic/attitude/automotive experience.

ConsWork load varies store to store. Either really busy and demanding, or boring and slow at times resulting in keeping yourself busy/ being instructed to a task.
    No vacation time for part-time workers.
    Hands on training for new hires could be better.
    Customers are customers. There's those that you enjoy serving giving good advice. Then there's those you just want to give them their parts and let them go about their day.
    A up sell is a up sell no sugar coating it. But when it's something related to the job it actually makes sense.
    Brake grease/bulb grease/ etc.. are all real world items that real authentic mechanics use. You wouldn't buy shoes without laces right.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't cut hours on employee's based on individual store sales to save a few bucks.
    Just because a store is slow doesn't mean it should be UNDER STAFFED!!!
    A store on average should have AT LEAST 7-8 workers on site AT ALL TIMES!!!

Amazing company with a lot of opportunity to grow.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Kenner, LA

ProsFast paced environment. You are constantly learning. The schedules are very flexible. Opportunity to advance is excellent. It has great benefits and opportunity for overtime.

ConsHonestly there are cons in every workplace. It's all about the dedication and work you out into it. You will go as high as you want. Just out in the hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPraise you're employees.

Very little employee loyalty, too much management drama

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsPay was better than minimum, you learned a lot of things on the job if you didn't know it already. Most of the customers were okay, and the employees varied.

ConsManagers were either too hands-on or too hands-off; never the right amount. I was never properly trained, store-level management was restructured once while I was there, and the new manager brought her old employees with her, and those of us that were there already were slowly phased out of the schedule; I went from 22-25 hours to 3 hours, to none. For three weeks before I was eventually terminated. Management all liked to complain about one another, there wasn't any set way for them to do things, so every time a manager was moved it threw a wrench in everything, and all they did was complain.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because your managers USED to be a good store leader, doesn't mean they still are. District managers need to talk to and interact with the red shirts as well, because our manager made it awfully hard to go above her head.

Hours and Pay

ProsLike the products and the pricing

ConsHours - 3 hours one day, 12 the next. Closing one day, opening the next. Payraise only 11 cents!!!

Advice to Senior Management1. Customers in the store take PRIORITY over the phone
    2. Keep the employees HAPPY, or you will lose them and have to constantly train new ones. (wasting time and money to get new employees "up to speed")

Learning every day

Part Sales Manager (Current Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

ProsNo layoffs sleep well at night

ConsWork ever weekend and most Holiday

Advice to Senior Managementrotate weekend more

Worked for AutoZone? Contribute to the Community!