Autodesk

Autodesk Reviews in Canada

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass

Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive(in 70 reviews)

• Relatively stable job with good benefits(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk(in 12 reviews)

• Middle management can range from exceptional to inept(in 22 reviews)

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very smart, technical people, passionate about making a positive impact

Software Development Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsWork culture is friendly, collaborative & constructive. Comprehensive benefits program in Canada, including vision and dental. Good leadership.

ConsHaving teams distributed across the planet is both challenging to work with (good), but exhausting.

Trying to reinvent itself

Product Designer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsCEO has a clear direction in mind and the company is full of smart people doing the work. Company has a huge cash cow in the shape of AutoCAD. The compensation and benefits are quite good.

ConsThe company is riven with politics, acquisitions of formerly rival companies often leaves simmering feuds. The various divisions act as information silos with much work duplicated multiple times. The corporate groups that are there to try and bring the teams together are mostly ineffectual.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to weed out the yes men in management, too many non-decisions made. A stronger corporate team and management structure is required to bring the various divisions together.

Lack of vision, innovation and growth due to incompetent middle management

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsRelatively stable job with good benefits. Lots of bright and intelligent people in the non management roles. Diverse background of people working within the development ranks.

ConsTerrible lack of innovation and long-term vision. Work-life balance would be decent if it wasn't for the layer of incompetent middle management constantly saddling people with poor decisions. The people below middle management are always blamed for the poor decisions and often the ones let go when things go bad instead of the people who made the poor decisions. Failure is almost rewarded with promotions and raises while the people trying to innovate and breathe new life into things are outcast and ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of constantly re-organizing the development staff try culling some of the useless middle management clogging the ranks. Listen to your employees who use and champion your products not the incompetent fools who can barely figure out how to install them let alone launch them and do something with them. Stop letting the good long-time employees go just because you want to save a couple bucks and re-open the position at an entry level salary.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good large company but locked in layers of in-fighting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsContinues to attract/acquire some of the smartest minds in the business. Very interesting people who use the product. Fair benefits, good compensation. Smart financial management (stability -- will continue to make a ton of money). Top levels of management have a vision (although the communication past the middle management level is poor).

ConsCompetitive rather than collaborative relationships both between and within divisions, and among senior management. Result?

A fractured, opportunistic and ultimately confusing presentation of executive strategy to the people who do the work. Re-orgs that disrupt priorities and result in talent gaps. Talent hoarding within groups. Frequent redoing of work "from somewhere else", instead of building on top of, improving. Lip service paid to innovation support, but groups are not allowed to re-adjust tactics and then are penalized heavily for failure. Some of the smartest people have left because of frustration. May be attracting new people with safety and predictability, and not because of interest in the stated future challenges.

Advice to Senior Management"Command and control" style management is not going to cut it for the problems you have said that you want solved. You are wasting your best resource because of the lack of trust there is throughout the organization.

Autodesk Talent Brand and Social Media Manager responded to this review

Apr 25, 2014

Thanks for your specific and candid response. I'm going to pass this along to HR management. I think there are interesting points here to be shared about talent management and culture.

Poor Recruiter Experience

ProsAppears to be a great company to work for.

ConsRecruiter was an idiot.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Overall a great company with a passion for its employees

Technical Specialist (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsExcellent work/life balance. Well resourced and encourages some moderate risk taking by employees at all levels.

ConsLots of middle management in-fighting. Culture has been diluted with various acquisitions and assimilated companies have disrupted Autodesk's unique culture causing rifts and competitive product teams within the same organization, allowing competitors to gain ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreed product specialists to be product management.

Great experience

Software Developer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsOne of the best internships I've had

ConsI have none, the company was great

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great place to work!

QA Analyst (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGreat people, atmosphere, feel part of the team right away,

ConsLack of career opportunities for contract, would rather hire someone new for another contract

Advice to Senior ManagementHire in house

innoinnovationinnovation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsOrganized. Good pay. Good benefits.

ConsBottom line tops all, including quality, innovation and personnel, more so than other businesses. American head office calls the shots, with Montreal having some say, but not Toronto. Republican slant politically. They buy innovation, they don't make it. They almost discourage it.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, not just stockholders.

Mostly great

Software Developer/Technical Consultant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros-nice kitchen on every floor
    -many places to do scrum meetings or just hang out
    -pool /ping pong
    -very nice atmosphere to work in

Cons-personally prefer brighter environment
    -nothing much else

Worked for Autodesk? Contribute to the Community!