Autodesk

Autodesk Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass

Carl Bass

Pros:
  • "No discrimination, great work life balance as well as compensation and benefits"
    in 59 reviews
  • "work with competent, smart people; good pay; good benefits"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low leadership skills in senior management (VP and up)"
    in 18 reviews
  • "In some areas there is work life balance, but it all depends on who you work for"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was pretty good at times, it was the worst at times.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Autodesk full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, including a sabbatical every 4 years (you'll need it!). Flexible work hours and work from home policies. Reasonable compensation and a good ESPP program.

ConsFrequent re-orgs mean an endless rotating cast of managers, a few were pretty good - but the recent ones were the very worst managers I have ever encountered. Be careful of ending up on the wrong team. Management by intimidation is tolerated, and quite often the ability to talk a good game is valued over the ability to do good work. Extremely political and you will end up on the losing side if you don't play the game. Definitely an old boys club.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at your mid-level managers and ask yourself if they really have the ability to grow and manage teams. Reconsider the "paperless" review system - no paper trail means managers are free to throw their people under the bus to save their own skins when necessary.

A Company with Purpose

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for less than a year

ProsAutodeskers create stellar products that have world impact. Global experience with growth opportunities in and across industries. Intelligent, kind employees who are passionate about innovation. Beautiful offices that are obviously keen to design and green energy.

ConsNothing really to report in the 'Cons' section.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are bigger branding opportunities that showcase al that Autodesk creates.

Apr 3, 2014

Thanks for the feedback. We know we need to spread the word more about our diversity of products/industries.

Working at Autodesk has been one of the best experiences of my career.

Human Resources Department (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as a contractor for less than a year

ProsWorking at Autodesk gives me the opportunity to work on new and exciting platforms and software. Management offers project opportunities to everyone on the team to help us become more well rounded professionals. Open communication by managers and team outings make me feel supported by the company. There is a cafeteria and a gym on site!

ConsI am a contingent worker and my department doesn't have the budget to bring me on full time. Although most managers want their contingent employees to stay, there is little choice and they continue to extend contracts. One woman in my department has been on contract for 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementProviding more benefits to contingent workers, who make up a significant portion of employees here, would be nice. Commute/ transportation discounts, or increase in hourly pay would help make up for the fact that we have to pay for benefits (medical, dental, etc.) and retirement contributions out of pocket. Especially due to the fact that some departments do not have budget to bring us on full time, they must keep extending our contracts.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good benefits, some great people, too many re-orgs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Autodesk full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- ability to work from home
- paid sabbatical
- some great people work there
- large, global company
- community relations and sustainability focus
- good health insurance
- paid time off between Christmas and New Year's

Cons- the quality of middle management isn't great
- too many re-orgs: expect a high degree of change in roles, managers, teams, and direction
- job security
- 12 days of vacation a year

Innovative company, striving to offer innovative products to help change the world for the better

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMy co-workers are great - smart, always willing to help out no matter how busy they are. Great work/life balance and competitive salary and benefits. Great offices. They seem to care about employee satisfaction.

ConsCONSTANT change - expect a new manager and change in role at least once a year. In my opinion, they don't give programs or initiatives enough time to gain traction before changing again. Middle managers need training. They are people who were good at their jobs and promoted without any training whatsoever. It's not the managers' fault, but the quality is all over the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide consistent management training for anyone who manages other employees.

Great HR and OD

Human Resources BP (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSuperb HR department and state of the art HR practices; bright people; relationship based culture so build your relationship and influence skills.

ConsDo not utilize International experience well once one has returned from International assignment

Advice to Senior ManagementUse International experience more

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Mar 24, 2014

This is great feedback, I've passed your review on to the global mobility department. Always great to get feedback from long tenure employees.

Pretty great job, but you have to be good at what you do

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork/ life balance is acceptable. Time off is fine. Pay is on par. Overall working for Autodesk is normal. But, you can easily make it extraordinary. Just say what you want and do your job well and you are taken care of. The company has good values and strong roots so you can really be on a branch and not feel like the end is near.

ConsPromotions is always the biggest complaint. It is a company that treats employees well so no one ever really leaves.

Highly dedicated professional environment

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros- little in the way of office politics, lots of genuinely good people
- sabbatical benefit after 4 yrs

Cons- old school Tech company (slow growing, tight budgets)
- lack of transparency and bureaucracy

Advice to Senior Managementmove headquarters to San Francisco

Apr 3, 2014

Agreed that office politics are little to none here. More to come in the San Francisco location, we're expanding utilization and potentially space.

Good company to work for and leader in design and 3D feild

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAutodesk is a good company to work for, one of top 100 best companies to work for, exciting products, and software.

ConsShort sided management view, continuous cost cutting, and can't hire qualified people.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees who are doing the great job, not who you know in your circle of close friends. CEO just cashed out 830K stocks and they claim not enough money to compensate employees who worked really hard during the year. RSU are distributed among their circle of trusted friends.

Ehhh...

Program Manager (Former Employee)
San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood products
great location
good community outreach (volunteering, products to schools, etc.)

Consgood-old-boy network churns thru skills....
poor data quality/use of data in decision making

Advice to Senior Managementreduce the shuffle/reorgs (1 per year every year without kpi/measurement for change)

Worked for Autodesk? Contribute to the Community!

Autodesk Videos

Autodesk – Why Work for Us?

Change is all around us, from a global population boom and spiraling energy costs to worldwide commoditization and climate change. The environment in which we live is rapidly shifting, and that change means opportunity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Autodesk reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Autodesk CEO Carl Bass. All 430 reviews posted anonymously by Autodesk employees.